Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Triage is based on degrees of urgency. Like you said, 'The best chance of survival'.

Refusing to treat someone because they made a choice that goes against official advice is outside any tradition of Western medical ethics.

@[Deleted User] 'I don’t hear many people claiming their rights are being infringed by not being allowed to smoke in a restaurant.'

Analogy doesn't hold. There's a difference between being required to take a drug which in theory is helpful and probably not harmful, and refraining from taking and emitting a known poison.

Though germs can spread from human beings, human beings themselves are not toxic bio-hazards to be banned from places and discarded.

It was wrong for Ronan Glynn to say to treat everyone as if they have the disease. I didn't do that and I'll bet you didn't either. Hardly anyone treated all other human beings as vectors of disease for 18 months straight (very, very few I hope).

I'm no longer as confident that there will be a lockdown this winter as I was earlier in the year. Could still happen though.

Note: not saying that tobacco smoke is literally poisonous but you know what I mean - it is extremely hazardous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yep, and in those cases, due to limited resources, medical treatment is refused for some to prioritise others and this is perfectly ethical.

Where resources aren't scarce, then everyone is treated the same no matter how unfortunate or silly they were to find themselves needing treatment (and refusing a vaccine and then pleading for treatment is a pretty silly state to be in as a lot of Americans have found out recently).

I agree it's silly. Even sillier are the deathbed conversions to vaccination.

Basically there are people who shifting from one kind of materialism (alternative therapy/skepticism) to another ('the experts'/The Science/the mainstream). And apparently this is their big concern when staring death in the face.

We're now wayyy off topic. Goodnight.

Post edited by growleaves on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Israel and Scotland are going to go into lockdown, we'll follow it very shortly after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Lockdown in Scotland??? When's this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

And of course the real problem with a circuit breaker is that nothing permanent is achieved. The R number is temporarily reduced and cases do indeed fall but, once the knockdown is over, the R number goes back to what it was and cases start increasing again. This is why advertised short, sharp lockdowns tend to go on far longer than intended. It really only makes sense if you are waiting for something to be put into place such as a delivery of vaccines in order to buy time.

So, it is inevitable now that we'll be sold next lockdown very soon.

I wonder, who'll adhere to that one now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Any particular reason why you think it’s inevitable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Lockdown cannot be justified again. The country is on its last knees as it is, lockdowns have a monumental cost, expanding and investing in our ICU capacity would be expensive but small beans in comparison to shutting down society again, the fact that little to none investment in the HSE from the government but support for seemingly endless lockdowns on the merry-go-round won’t stand among the populace this time. The fact that 90% of the population have done their bit for “king and country” and gotten vaccinated which we were sold would end the pandemic, even the most covid aware people are getting worn out. Resistance to small things in comparison to lockdown like mask mandates and vaccine certs shows this, resistance is growing everyday. Unless we go full police state like Melbourne then another won’t work. People will not comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There seems to be a few posters like that, I suspect they don't do well in a functional society, so they're desperately trying to convince themselves that we're never coming out of this so they have someone to blame rather than face their own shortcomings.

• I was one of those who complied throughout almost to the letter, and most people I knew were pretty compliant. The only folk I actually encountered in person during the pandemic were the non-compliant ones, in that they would mix casually & closely with complete strangers. The 18 months has mentally crucified me, it’s the most regrettable period of my life and that’s saying something. If I chance to remain surviving into the future I will not be complying with any further restrictions. I have total pandemic fatigue and I have compassion fatigue. Let the virus kill me any anyone it cares to, I don’t give a fück.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Another lockdown is not going to happen (unless some extreme new variant). 90% vaccinations now also Delta spreading among the unvaxed mainly young people and will burn out after a short time.

Irish media are working their asses off to make everything possible so 22 Oct does not happen this year. Straight after cancellation of 22 Oct we'll be sold another lockdown to protect unvaccinated people and our crumbling hospitals. Probably this time, there'll be no happy seals clapping their hands to HSE

• Long story, but I had to register on Boards under another username. If anyone read my previous posts (got bored with Covid threads) they would see I have now made a big u-turn. Yes it was all necessary as I used to emphasise & often be torn asunder for, but going forward, forget it. Yeah, I’d say I’ve got false courage as I allow myself get way physically closer to more people, but I still wear my mask in shops etc for the sake of saving others having to tell me to. I don’t feel invincible, I just don’t care.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I'd love to be able to laugh off the idea of another lockdown or restrictions reimposed but I just can't. If hospital numbers continue to increase this week you just know that the media will have a field day with pushing back October 22nd.

At the end of the day, the government extended their emergency powers for a reason. They want to have the option to use them.

Would be absolutely disastrous optics though if a country with 90+ vaccinated ends up resorting to lockdowns/restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep but doesn't matter to members of the government/NPHET and the likes who will still be on full pay and can go to work

Another lockdown/restrictions would be a disaster for many industries particularly the entertainment industry. Truly the rug been pulled from under them if the 22nd gets postponed as so many are planning to run full attendance events

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

As brazen as the government and media are I really fail to see how they could spin it in favour of another lockdown without serious pushback.

• Advertisement

• From evidence I’ve seen, it seems that 3 shots are typically needed (for some of the vaccines at least) to provide adequate immunity for most. An example. I got covered pretty much lifetime for Hep B (body fluid transmission only) but it cost me a lot of money. Initially I was on immune suppressant medications so first 3 shots failed. When I got surgery and came off immune suppressants I was able to retake the course of vaccines and a blood test confirmed excellent immunity. It took some time for a or fists to work out the correct regimen for adequate Hep B protection, and I believe a similar course may prove true for Covid. Maybe the subsequent immunity might last longer, time will tell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

All I can see might possibly happen is rowing back to pre October 22. To where we are now. I don't see anything like Level 5 happening again. But, what do I know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Threadbans don't seem to be having the desired effect Gral6 so I really am considering a forum ban at this stage. Improve your posting standard immediately. A good start would be to leave out these constant neverending throwaway statements about new lockdowns that don't have anything backing them up.

This is your final warning or you will not post in this forum again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

The hospitals are going to get overrun this winter, just like every year pre covid. Will we as a nation tolerate that, as we have done in the past.

we have been trained to be ultra cautious now for 18 months. Not easy to quickly revert back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Agreed, it would be disastrous. I think it would be interpreted as if the vaccines didn’t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Or more likely interpreted as the vast majority of people in the ICU suffering with Covid were unvaccinated and also that not one fully vaccinated person under 50 has died of Covid. Or that 4 out of 5 hospital and ICU admissions were unvaccinated and those that were had an underlying condition or suppressed immune system. Or that 50% of people in ICU are aged between 19 and 55 with nearly all vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The covid contingency fund in the budget is 4 billion. It might cover closing hospitality but not another lockdown.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cant see them staying with the current restrictions if/when the 22nd reopening gets canned, we could see some version of Level 3-5 coming into Christmas, Me thinks they will want Hospitality closed for December as they cant be having people in there Christmas jumpers singing/dancing and having fun, Christmas festivals will be scaled back to something similar to 2020 and **** knows what else

Its really really depressing thinking about it, us locked down while many of our fellow EU countries are somewhat back to pre covid times and having a wonderful Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Why do you come up with scenarios constantly and get yourself worked up over them ?

I really don't see how that can be good for anyone, your constantly on edge, whereas most people are out living their life to whatever extent they currently can.

It's really depressing thinking about it because your the one imaging up the scenario.

Today's probably the first day I've had a flick through the threads and posted a bit in a long time and probably the last day bar a post here and there, not being in an echo chamber does wonders.

This isn't meant as having a go at you now, far from it by the way.

Advertisement