Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fair point after that year ‘off’ if they do win Mayo could dominate. Damn all in Connaught. Dublin gave it a rattle in 2012 after the breakthrough year in fairness. But you are right normally teams after a famine ends are in shock after and hungover!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I think Kerry without O'Shea are very ordinary. He creates just about everything for them and for me is the best player in Ireland. The other surprise yesterday was Moran starting ahead of O'Connor at midfield. Moran slows down Kerry while with O'Connor they are much quicker to move the ball which suits Paudie Clifford, O'Shea and O'Brien. David Clifford is deceptively quick, also but with slow ball the channels close down for him. Im stunned Kerry have been so naive this past 2 seasons.

Agree the next few championships could well be very open. Dublin in my opinion need to unearth 2/3 players a half back and 2 forwards. I think we lack a little pace and another good ball carrier as McCarthy has clocked up some miles over the years. Murchan can do that but obviously McCarthy gave us far more in ball winning areas. Murchan has the pace but I feel we need something similar up front. We could still go toe to toe with any team in Ireland. It aint all gloom and doom even though a lot are a bit down. Hopefully the players get time to recharge and come back fresh for a new challenge.

I think they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,865 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hopefully Mannion and McCaffrey return next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm talking about the abuse meath players suffered through the media after matches and some nasty rumours regarding meath players spread about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Any comment on the Meath team training up in a well known Navan area all through lockdown? Funnily enough there wasn't a peep from the media about it. They must have missed the memo you've seen.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Didn't follow the meath seniors this year and won't until the funding scandal is sorted out.

I was replying to a poster complaining about his issue with how some players are treated online and in the media.

And i issued a reminder on how bad it used to be for some meath players when they were on top.

One meath player in particular accused of being a wife beater by the media and the hill on many occasions chanting "if you can't beat the dubs beat your wife". Vile.

Many people rightly or wrongly think the Dublin player intentionally tried to hurt the Mayo player. And they're entitled to call them out for it if they believe.

The likes of connelly in the past assaulting people on and off the pitch. Surely he deserved to be called out on it.

Yet many Dublin fans can't seem to handle their players not being treated like angels.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I find it difficult to assess this Mayo team in the absence of Cillian O'Connor. He has that metronomic consistency you can rely on to generate a ton of scores almost every game. Without him, Mayo lack economy and are pretty erratic.

It was always the case that the leaky Kerry defence was a major weakness and indeed Tyrone exploited it ruthlessly. I don't see Mayo going down like that what with Lee Keegan, Oisin Mullin et al. Should be intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I disagree about O'Connor. He has nearly always missed the crucial frees to win or tie the game in the last minute. The clutch moments in essence. Without him, Mayo are playing better. They also don't miss his petulance which distracts from his game and gets him involved in off-the-ball stuff.

I am not aware of any nor have I looked for it. All players/managers get abused by someone somewhere especially in the internet age. I would not pay heed to it. Jim Gavin had unfounded rumours spread about his personal life.

It is in the nature of society, particularly if that person is top dog. To be honest, I am surprised there is abuse Meath players suffered through the media. Because Meath have not been relevant in the GAA for long time, so it would hardly see papers would it? Is it Meath Chronicle, local thing or what?

If you want to see what abuse of players in the media is like on a national level - high profile level - I recommend you watch Kieran Duff Laochra Gael TG4 - and see the abuse that fella suffered.

No offence to you, but the impression you are giving is that you are one of these fans who thinks all others are 'out to get' - your county. In your case Meath.

A a 'whoa is me/us' fan a 'GAA misery guts' every club has at least one! Like the Tayto slogan - 'there's always one'.

Here we are a short time away from a potential great AIF between Mayo/Tyrone. And here you are worried about Meath, not attending thier games (some supporter) and going on about Meath 'abuse'. Most (myself included) would not even be aware of or even if I did would not pay heed to. Talk about a persecution complex, and getting your priorities wrong.

If were a badly fella you definitely not be one of those delighted at the savings on haircuts - that's for sure!

🙄

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Totally agree on O'Connor.

I rate his brother higher. Although he's a filthy little beggar too.

Never thought much of cillian as an outfield player and as you said when they needed him at the vital moments, he failed.

The only late free he managed to kick a point in all Ireland final when the game was in the balance was in 2013 😁

I'll say no more!! "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Can't agree about O'Shea being the best player in the country, but he's by far the most important player on the pitch for Themmuns. I'd kill for him to be a Dub. Same way I used to be about Geaney, Moran and Darran O'Sullivan.

That bring said, even after 4 days of absorbing that game, I'm still elated that I can enjoy the AIF. Been a long time since I had no horse in the race; 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jesus, it's good to agree with ya again. It's been a while. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Meath players these days don't get much abuse at all. Way less then say Dublin would. I just find it funny recently how so many Dublin fans take outrage at the treatment some of their players get but some of those same fans were happy slagging off meath players back when we were top dogs and relevant. I have a relation who used to insist geraghty was a thug, horrible person and other things I won't repeat. Citing his rough play at times and personal life rumours the media was spreading.

But then years later this same relation was lauding connelly and bemoaning the unfair media treatment focusing on his personal life. Ironic or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think you will find most unfounded rumours about players start in their own counties certainly the one about Graham Geraghty did as well as the Jim Gavin one .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

In fairness to Cillian he did level the 2016 drawn game, from play as opposed to placed ball!

I've always been frustrated by his horseplay, i never thought it added anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You'll not find many round these parts defending what Connolly got up to off the pitch. Where I draw the line is the over the top criticism himself and others get for on field infractions that barely get a mention when other teams do it.

Anyway, follow your logic, some people believed the rumours about that certain Meath player so are they not entitled to express those opinions as well?

Personally, I don't really give a shïte what people get up to in their personal lives. I go to watch the games. Doesn't mean I'd want to sit and have a pint with some of them but who cares.

It's all a bit moot anyway. Comparing an on field shoulder challenge to a lad fighting in a pub or another lad allegedly giving his missus the slaps is beyond daft and adds absolutely nothing to the discussion.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

True, but then the replay happened and 2017 after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

No arguing that!! He never got back to the form he was in up to 2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I would be outraged at any player or manager, from any county getting personal slurs against them with no foundation to them. They are in the most ordinary lads out to do the best they can. There were rumours started about more than Geraghty back in day but as pointed out these are often started close to home not by opposing teams. Nobody likes the altercations Connolly got into off the pitch, I certainly wouldnt condone that carryon.. Its bad enough when you read about it without the person been a top sportsman. There were also lies told about other Dublin players and management team by eejets who thought were "close" to the panel. These assholes are in every county and most of the stuff would not be published by any Irish paper. These same assholes actually cause their own players grief by twisting things

Funny thing is I know a lot of the Dublin and Meath players from 80's, 90's and a lot of what went on in club games and at training sessions and despite what you read or "hear" so much of it is absolute bullshit. Plenty of good ribbing and slagging. They wouldnt all like each other but thats fine and some wouldnt particularly like some of the lads they played with and thats fine also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Chippyd67

No he only topped the scoring

charts in 2015,2017,&2020 since then

Ladies All Ireland Football final preview Dublin v Meath

Dublin team to play Meath:

1. Ciara Trant (St Brigid’s),

2. Martha Byrne (Cuala), 3. Niamh Collins (Foxrock Cabinteely), 4. Leah Caffrey (Na Fianna)

, 5. Sinead Goldrick (Foxrock Cabinteely), 6. Olwen Carey (Thomas Davis), 7. Orlagh Nolan (Ballinteer St Johns),

8. Jennifer Dunne (Cuala), 9. Lauren Magee (Kilmacud Crokes),

10. Hannah Tyrrell (Na Fianna), 11. Lyndsey Davey (Skerries Harps), 12. Carla Rowe (Clann Mhuire),

13. Sinead Aherne (St Sylvester’s), Captain 14. Niamh Hetherton (Clontarf), 15. Siobhan Killeen (Clontarf).

good luck to the ladies tomorrow should be good enough but are facing a MEATH team who are on a roll having made great progress the last year so they will give it their all hopefully a good ad for the game but a Dubs win of course .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Mick Bohan has his work cut out at halftime. Meath completely on top.

5 down.

Big improvement needed in 2nd half for the 5 in a row.

Hard to see Dublin doing this, they're second best all over the field. They need a goal I think. Sinead Ahern poor season has continued today, Hannah Tyrell has not had the impact today of previous games.

Well done to Meath, thoroughly deserved, by far the better team. Tough year for Dublin supporters!

• Advertisement

Fair play to Meath the better team their game plan seem to really come together on the day . Dublin couldn't seem to manage the intensity Meath brought with them .

Advertisement