Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

' Henderson has always been useless.........' I think you really show a serious lack of knowledge of how football works with a ridiculous comment like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we were to look for a straight up number 9 they could do a lot worse than going to Lyon and signing Dembele.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Fabrizio Romano is saying Sanches would have ended up at Liverpool this summer if he hadn't gotten injured and required surgery.

He also expects Liverpool to keep track on him when he returns from his injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I really hoped if shaqiri was sold we would bring in another attacking player. I'd rather have seen him come on yesterday than sold, a player with a the flair and quality that can find that pass. Klopp never trusted him though, totally underused and you can add origi to that.

Who the **** does Klopp think he's kidding when he says he's happy with his options when he won't use any outside of jota and the front 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It’s mad how quickly my ‘ignore’ list is growing to look like it did before the website change - purely based on new posts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Taiwo Awoniyi has made a great start to his career with Union Berlin. He scored again yesterday so that's 5 goals in his first 6 appearances of the season. The £6.5M fee they paid will seem like a bargain if he continues his good form. I don't want to jinx him but he scored a total of 5 goals last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Last season we lost at home to Burnley and Chelsea.

This year we have won and drawn so 4 points more than the corresponding fixtures. I think we need to take a more pragmatic view on this.

With Tuchel's tactics, when Chelsea score first against a big team they will go in to shut up shop mode. We saw it in the CL final against City. 8 to 10 men back and waiting for the counter attack.

Chelsea are being celebrated in the papers as winning a point against Liverpool as if they were supposed to be given a hammering.

The truth is Chelsea were winning and if some people here are to be believed the Liverpool attack would not have scored in open play so Chelsea actually dropped 2 points on Saturday and we gained one from where we were at 1-0 down.

Reports this morning by Ornstein that Michael Edwards will step down at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Faaacccckkk. Thats bad news. Indykilla tweeted about this last week that he was going to Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Oh god, this is the end times....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Elliot is going to be great but its far to early to be relying on him in big games to be our creative spark ,

Chelsea went down to 10 men and we have nobody with any attacking qualities to bring on , We need to sort that out ASAP ,

You could say we have made up 6 points already ,

Burnely 3, Chelsea 1 & Swap Norwich for Relegated Fulham who we drew with away and its another 2 points

So 6 up after 3 games ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Hope we get a quality replacement. Don’t want to go back to the days of Carroll and Downing. Hear his assistant is poised to take the job? He’s the one that signed Ben Davies apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This is terrible news, he managed to get in some great talent under the transfer constraints that FSG implement! Not good at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Liverpool won't do anything this year... That's the sad fact of it. You can't stay still in football and the inability to break teams down is gonna be the undoing again. Mane and Salah are very frustrating when teams deny them any kind of space... Mane particularly... In the past hard pressing made up for a lack of certain qualities but that energy seems to have left the team. All the teams around them have added significantly while Liverpool lost a huge player in Gini.

I think Manes been very good in the first 2 games and against Chelsea he was up for it & would have scored the goal if it wasn't for a hand ball ,

Also he had an unfit Robbo & Hendo out of position on his side,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Keeping Elliott, Salah AND Trent on the pitch on that side was actually a little naive.

We ended up with no width on that wide, and basically played into where Chelsea were compact. All 3 of those players were playing inside or cutting inside. Very rarely did they open the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That news hits me as hard as Torres asking for a transfer in 2011.

I hope to god they have a proper successor lined up. Edwards is one of the most important figures at Liverpool in the FSG era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Another classic overreaction. We failed to score a second against an ultra organised team who had stopped attacking and simply wanted their draw. They're European champions. They've an excellent manager who has turned them into an excellent defensive team. Did we struggle to break down either team in the first two games?

• Advertisement

Meltdown Monday! Hello darkness my old friend ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Agree. We have **** all to spend in comparison but the little we do spend is spent wisely thanks to Edwards. Will be a huge miss if not replaced properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

In case people forget. We did put a bid into Juve for Chiesa, believed to be around 100m.

The club knows the squad is aging but has always tended to pick players for specific roles and then hunted them down.

I don't think we'll end up with Chiesa, but it clearly demonstrates they are actively thinking about someone of that mould.

• Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People saying that it's only the second game, not time to be concerned yet are IMO missing the point. It is the second game, but it was a continuation of what we saw for far too much of last season.

Sideways passing along the edge of the box, Mane failing to beat a man, Salah having to cut back onto his left every single time he gets the ball, Firmino doing almost nothing.

If he doesn't want to play Minamino then we need to bring in someone who can come on for Mane or Salah to at least change things up.

This is what, the 4th season of the Mane, Firmino, Salah trio? IMO it's a very long time with no fresh face introduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liverpool's record the last 13 games including the end of last season is 10 wins and 3 draws. As frustrating as the 2nd half with Chelsea was we probably need some perspective on it. I'd like another midfield option and forward option but this is still a very good side. It would be nice for them to get a little bit more help though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We needed someone like Thiago in from the start, there was very little link up play besides hoofing the ball into the box and praying some Chelsea defender made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

My worries about the squad going forward is about our backup options, not so much the first team. Klopp can tell the press he is happy with the squad but his team selections and use of subs tells a different story. He clearly has no faith or trust in Minamino and Origi. That's two of our 3 backup attacking options. Mane is trying but seems to have lost the ability to beat a player. Bobby puts in the odd good performance among lots of games where he is anonymous. Only for Salah we would be fecked for goals. We clearly need to find a solution for getting behind teams who sit back. We default into sideways passing in central areas when we should be looking at overloading wide spaces to get a player beyond the defensive line for a cut back or square ball.

Elliot has overtaken Jones, what is that saying about Jones now. We have good depth in defence atleast.

Thaigo is behind everyone in pre-season due to his knock that effect his Euro's

There must have been something tactical that i certainly can't see as to why Hendo played left of the midfield,

Keita had been doing great there but possible something Chelsea do that made Jurgen second guess that ,

Elliot is a great talent but i think its to early to start a game like Sunday ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Thiago was anonymous when he came on. He clearly wasn't the answer. Our best chances came from quick movements from deep, before the Chelsea defence became a blanket wall. Thiago wasn't sharp enough to provide that on Saturday. Too many sideways passes and no end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

He was anon when he came on but that wasn't unique to him. The entire midfield was anon in an attacking sense for 15 to 20 mins before he came on. He failed to make any impact. For me he wasn't the sub to bring on. I would have brought Keita on for Elliot with Henderson switching to the right side. Not bashing Elliot by any means but he gave the ball away numerous times in that second half and neither he nor Trent were getting wide and beyond Salah at any point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

A lot more of the ITK's coming out with this that Edwards is gone, must be something to it now, that's a shame, if he is Madrid bound is his first signing Mbappe?

🙄

The problem with Elliot in the second half was that Chelsea players coped on that he was just going to play short passes & one two's he was nackered & he was never going to go try make something happen ,

Ox was the man to bring on just simply because he probably feels he has something to prove he can shoot & he would take someone on ,It might not worked & he would have given them chances to counter at times but he'd give it a go & try to create ,

At times we get way to cautious & obsessed with keeping the ball instead of trying a pass or a run that might not come off, Honestly at times i wanted Chelsea to win the ball to give us the chance to win it back & catch them in a transition instead of just playing in front of them

I'm like a broken record but again imagine having a proper 9 to bring on who might score a header or poach something in the box,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

I'm surprised how negative the tone is here today. We're on track for an 85-90 points season in my opinion. Squad looks in good shape. Could do with one more top quality forward, but I think the club is smart to be patient and wait for the right player.

As for Edwards leaving, it's not like Klopp where his huge charisma is vital to the team's success. Looking in from the outside, it seems like Liverpool have put together a really good team of analysts under Edwards, so one man moving on shouldn't scuttle the ship. Echo this morning saying the assistant sporting director is most likely to take over which seems healthy. These things happen in any organisation.

• Advertisement

It'll be pitch forks and angry mobs for a few days. International breaks can be hell on here. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Second game,

Taking 7pts from two games is pretty impressive 😅

A draw at home to Chelsea is grand in the grand scheme of things ,

My worry is with Shaq is gone it leaves Origi & Tak as our back up and they can't even get a game when we are a man up and chasing a goal ,

Origi wasn't in the squad - would've been a good option to have on there. But I'd say he's likely in the midst of transfer talks or something.

Our substitutions were totally hamstrung anyway by Bobby's injury, and Henderson and Robertson not being fully fit and having to come off early. That's all 3 of our subs that were physical rather than tactical. Under more normal circumstances I'd say we'd have had Jota come on for someone else, with all 4 forwards playing. Could also have seen Naby come on for Elliott if Robertson hadn't had to come off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I know we aren't getting Mbappe but these Spanish lads on Sports TV in Spain are hilarious....

The definition of football twitter in real life 🤣

The last one I saw was the Messi meltdown, now we have a Kylian Mbappe clock...😃

• Advertisement

I'd love to see PSG say yes to the 180m and then Madrid go oh crap we actually don't have the money.

We just wanted to make Mbappe know we want him so much but we really were ready to take him only on a free next summer.

Their Hazard meltdown was nuts too.

Honestly every time I see clips from that show, it feels like we've taken one step closer to some dystopian nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

For a club so dependent on reinvesting the proceeds of sales, Edwards departure is pretty huge news.

FSG have succeeded in winning an EPL and CL on a relative shoestring, but the model is not sustainable in the long term.

There is no appetite to create a dynasty, it would cost too much. Getting the same level of performance as 2 years ago from our first XI may not even be enough to be top 3 this season such is the progress our rivals have made. Before you even consider some of these guys (Firmino, Mane and Henderson in particular) may be on the wane.

Pretty exhausting brief, trying to find players who will meet our clubs criteria. Even the rubbish you hear about FSG willing to push boat out for a so called generational talent, they would still have to accept Mid level wages until they prove themselves etc. , cost less than 40million and no other club can be interested to drive price up.

A few players at the club are going to see the careers stall for another year without very much football if the don't get a move in the next 30 hours.

Origi, Phillips, Karius, Ojo are unlikely to get any game time this season outside the under 23's if they stay.

Shaq to his credit was pro active in finding a club that would give him regular football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

"Getting the same level of performance as 2 years ago...may not even be enough to be top 3"

I've heard it all now. 99 points might not be enough for 3rd?? That's absolute crazy talk. 99 points would walk this league.

Did you even think about that before you typed it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I know they would never sell him to us but someone like Callum Hudson Odoi would be an ideal signing. Good enough to start in alot of games but also young enough to potentially replace one of the front 3 moving forward.

I suspect the poster meant that as other teams have improved, playing at the same level as two years may not yield the same results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

utd top's are back in the gym :) ,haven't seen one in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not sure I'd agree. If he was that good he'd have broken into the Chelsea first team and be playing regularly by now. They'd also want a heftily inflated English price which I would inevitably be way above his worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Nothing to worry about so, that Davies signing was a master stroke in the middle of our defensive crisis, really helped us out last season!

• Advertisement
Advertisement