Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Something is strange here. The "30% discounted" Airtricity rates are lower than Energia's "41% discounted" rates. Working from memory, I was going to be paying Energia 0.173 (incl VAT) per kWh for daytime electricity and 0.083 for night. Airtricity's rates (https://sseairtricity.com/ie/home/products/electricity-top-discount/) are 0.163 and 0.0812.

So the switch has to go through the VW dealer? How long does it take? Since I'm going to be paying Energia €50 to break anyway, I'm inclined to let them install the new meter and continue on with them at their discounted rates until Airtricity and VW can switch me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Comer1

Good plan to let Energia go ahead with the install if you will not lose out paying the higher day rate before you get the benefit of the night rate when that car arrives. I'm currently on a 13c 24 rate which is excellent so I waited until the end of my current contract to switch. I'm also on school holidays so doing very little driving at the moment.

My dealer passed on my details yesterday and Airtricity just rang me a few minutes ago. I'm getting the meter installed on Monday morning, Airtricity will ring me on Tuesday morning to switch and that will take effect immediately. With my usage of approximately 7,500 units day and 6,000 units night I will save €733 with Airtricity over Energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Anyone applied for the charger grant lately notice how long the Letter of Offer took. Only applied this morning and have install booked for Monday. Does it take the full 7 days or might I get it before the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

I'd say there's a slim enough chance you'd get it in the next 2 days. Last one I did in May took 6 days via email and I never got a hard copy. I'd suggest contacting them directly if your timeframe is that tight.

Whatever you do, don't allow the work to go ahead until you have the letter of offer as they won't cover any cost incurred before the letter is issued.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Your installer should be able to do advise you, the rules changed in March so they should be all familiar with them by now.

See pages 6 & 7:

https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/03/MarchNewsletterSafeElecFinal-1.pdf

Basically a second consumer unit can be installed in the meter box for the charger.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

This will not resolve your main issue which is undersized cables

whilst your meter may be replaced ,a notice of potential hazard may be issued. You’ll need a rec to install the new mains cables and upgrade earthing and new earth rod and provide a certificate for Esbn. There’s a charge also from Esbn (@€180) to do their connecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Thanks for that, a quick chat online and letter of offer was sent via email. Happy days..

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I know that. My REC was the one who said the meter tails upgrade (which he’ll be doing) would be facilitated by a new meter and isolation.

Good to have you post that information for any others in a similar position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 scratchymouse

Hi

I have just purchased a Kia EV and Energia are offering a free home charger install. The unit is to be the EVBox elvi.

I have gone through the discussion and see no mention of this offer or unit.

Has anybody had this unit installed by energia. Can anybody offer offer any feedback on either the unit or the offer?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s a free charger. It’s 7kw. It will charge your car. It’s free.

what more info would you like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 scratchymouse

Fair enough. You're right. I was (as usual) overthinking it.

If it's free and it works, what's not to like.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

Apologies if this has been answered already, but with the new rules, is an isolation switch a requirement or can you get away without one? Not sure it matters but the house is five years old and we have an air to water heat pump. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yes it is a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

Thanks Garo. Do you know if there are any chargers which have it built in, to hide it? I'm guessing not...

That would defeat the purpose of it as it isolates the charger before working on it. If it was in the charger, the charger would still be live.

I've seen it suggested here to paint it to match the house. Just ensure it still rotates if doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Hi are you sure you need to install a wall charger..For PHEV the standard 3 pin Granny charger that should come with the car should do..A friend of mine got the Ford Kuga PHEV and was told no need to install a charger as the 3 pin would do..Someonelse on the forum may be able to shine a light on PHEV home charging.

Might save yourself a lot of hassle on an install

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's down to time.

Wallbox will charge the typical PHEV in 2-3hrs whereas the Granny cable is at least twice that time or perhaps a bit longer.

Also , willing to be corrected about this , but not 100% on if the granny cable is fully waterproof for repeated outdoor use over a winter for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats pretty much it alright.

The convenience of having a proper charger with proper wiring and weatherproofing to be able to take "high" current for extended periods. A granny cable isnt a long term solution.

And if they have a PHEV now there is a very good chance they will have a BEV in future in which case they will need the proper charge point then and you'd be as well to get the charge point in now while the grants are still in play. They wont last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Went with the wallbox and delighted with how neat and small it is . went with carplug.ie for the install and try straight forward and easy to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 LarryBarry

Anybody got information in regards how to be compliant in regards pen fault detection requirements if using a Tesla wall charger with a TN-C-S electricity supply? From what I can gather it doesn’t have anything built in.

or what would the recommended wall chargers other than zappy that would have this built in safety built in?

• Advertisement

Have you bought the charge point already? If yes, what generation did you buy?

If its the latest 3rd generation one it has alot of safety features built-in that the previous generations didnt have (DC leakage, earth faults etc). It doesnt have PEN fault detection though.

This guy does good electrical videos and reviews all the safety features and the PEN fault requirements etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZePyRgSfjs

• Registered Users Posts: 31 LarryBarry

No haven’t bought anything yet. I was about to purchase it (gen 3) & had been reading the install manual to see what protections and features were built in & noticed a warning about additional protection required if installed in a TN-C-S type system. Seems an additional earth rod dedicated for charger or separate pen fault unit installed at consumer unit is required to make the Tesla charger compliant to be installed in Ireland. looking at the wall box & Anderson A2 units now as they seem to have this pen fault protection built in. Thanks for link

Are you sure the PEN fault detection is mandatory in Ireland?

I know it is in the UK, like that video shows, but not sure if it was mandatory in latest Irish regs. Did you ask a RECI to be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭fafy

August was our first full month, with 2 EV’s, in our household. so thought it might be interesting to share some range, and home charging stats. Note: These are all NON motorway driving results.

EV1)

Kia E-Niro:(2021 Long Range model)

My wife is getting well over 450kms, typically 475kms range on the car.

EV2)

BMW i3:(2020 120 model)

I am getting typically, a little under 300kms, but varies of course on driving habits, just fully charged it, and showing 317kms.

Andersen A2 Charger- Month Of August, both EV’s are fully charged by am August 30th.

This shows we used 404 KW for the entire month of August charging the 2 EV’s, we had zero public charging in August. Total cost of both EV car charging was €60.50. The green, is car charging, the grey is house usage. About 64 % of total electricity used, was to charge the 2 EV’s.

That cost is based on 15 cent cost per KW inputted, as the c/KW cost, into the Andersen app.

My mid July ‘21 Bord Gais Electricity bill was 19.08 c/KW, less a 31% discount = 13.17 c/KW plus 13.50 % vat = just under 15 c\KW, i’ve excluded the fixed Standing Charges & Fixed PSO Levy.

There is a price increases effective August 8th, which will push that unit price up to about 17 cent/KW, that would increase the cost to about €69 in total for both EV’s for the whole month.

Even taking that tarriff increase into account, this is roughly a quarter the cost of what we were paying in monthly fuel.

Am in a contract for Electricity, but waiting to have maybe 2 to 3 months stats, so i have accurate data to consider moving to a smart meter tarriff, but so far, the smart meter tarriffs, don’t look like good value.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Move to Energia EV plan and start charging you EVs at night, their night rate is 5.83c a night but beware your day rate goes up to 20.27c.

Get a day/night meter for this, it's free via your provider, do not get a Smart Meter. Also move likes of washing machine, immersion, dishwasher to night hours.

You can exit your current contract via an exit fee, just work out what makes financial sense for you.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭fafy

Alas,

we had a smart meter installed last year, well before, we decided to go the EV route, and also before, i had read the many posts on here, saying avoid a smart meter installation, like the plague !!

Will keep an eye out for good Smart Meter night rates, but they are not so good right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Thinking of getting a phev in new year. Debated full ev but for now phev suits better but in the next 2 years probably replace 2nd car with full ev so want to future proof. Have read through last 30 pages but can’t find similar situation for home charging. I’m no sparky and knowledge here is very limited so bear with me.

Liive “in the country”, normal electric supply (ie not a farm), house built in 2019, 1/2 acre site, no heat pumps/electric showers but plenty of normal pumps for underfloor heating and water pressure in house. Would like to get solar panels in the future. No unusual house appliances (well bar one of those boiling water taps and an insinkerator).

This is where gets complicated. Small driveway up a hill to the house where parking area is 10 steps below the level of the house and a good 10/15 meters from the house itself and a good 30 meters from the Esb box (where take readings) as crow flies with steps/driveway in the way to where want charging point(s). No wall where park cars/need charging point. There is cable near where want charging points and used for outside lights

are there options out there anyone aware of or know anyone in Limerick/Shannon/Ennis area that could check it out and do the install.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,020 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you can put the charging point on a pedestal if you want. The cable for the charging point needs to come from the fusebox inside the house or the meter box (its only recent that this is allowed)

Itll be a non standard install from what you are saying so could be costly.

the cable that is there for outdoor lighting wont be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Thanks, was thinking that. Running from one of the fuse box’s in the house would be a nightmare. Suppose only option is to set up time with one of nationwide installers and see what they say.

anyone hear if a dedicated solar powered charging unit (not off house solar panels) but probably “enough power” I’m thinking.

A s7$t load of panels would be needed 😮

https://www.thesolarnerd.com/blog/electric-car-solar-panels/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You could possibly do most of the "non standard" work yourself and then engage an installer for the actual Electrical piece.

You'd need to get a roll of Armoured cable - someone here can probably tell you the specific spec needed , 50M would perhaps cost at most ~€150 or so , you could run that from the house down to the location where you want the charger installed leaving excess at either end for the Installer to work with.

You doing the digging , drilling/chasing out walls , pathways etc. for the cable run rather than paying an Electricians rates for that work will save you a lot of money.

Advertisement