Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Does every club in Ireland get two final tickets this year like in normal years?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Mod Edit

Warning issued as poster is Thread banned.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Forge83

He was horrendous. Worst performance by a winning goalie ever I’d say. Shows how bad Kerry were though that they still couldn’t capitalise. Shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath as Beggan or Patton again.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

Galway fans will no doubt invade the fourms like they do in the Hogan.

Re final.

Mayo have better footballers, better conditioning, better management and are likely to out number Tyrone in the stands.

Cool heads and self belief make this a 4/5 point victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

I don't know. Mayo looked pretty rudderless for an hour against dublin.

Tyrone mixed and matched today quite well, running with kicking. They have some nice ballers and tight defenders. Expierenced as well most of them on the go since 2017.

Its very much 50 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I agree with this. We didn’t play well at all against Dublin for the first hour. Tyrone were quite strong today and took their chances well despite losing a huge percentage of their kickouts.

I don’t understand how the bookies have us as favourites - those odds should be a lot more similar for both teams than they are at present and I’d be shocked if they don’t end up being a lot more similar or even a reverse of the current status by game day.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

The bookies have us as 1 point favourites. We're only favourites by the slimmest of margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

PP have us as 4/6 and Tyrone at 6/5, that’s a bit of a spread but your point is valid re the handicap.

From what I can gather though bookies generally tend I throw out the handicap odds to see which way the money blows and then adjust accordingly.

I’d be more than happy with a 1 point win all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What about the ‘curse’. Too many of the 1951 team still alive……Tyrone have their name On the cup……they simply have to turn up😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Hard to know what to make of that, David Clifford and Sean o Shea the only one to show up for Kerry yet they could still have won only for some bad decision making with the square ball 'goal'. Not the final we were expecting but I am sure we will be well prepared for it in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If someone told you we'd be without Cillian for the Championship but were going into a final as favourites... You'd have had him locked up.

Some year! Time to get over that line in 2 weeks but as stated, we can't afford to start slow like we have been on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

meath man here.really hope that mayo can finish off the job now,there's only so much heartache any county can take.Have done a massive thing for Gaelic football in beating Dublin twice in ten years and only a kick of the ball in it so many times.where would football be if dubs got seven in a row.Anyway great credit to mayo for stopping that and from six points behind,it really is some achievement.massive sympathy for cillian O'Connor missing out sport can be really cruel. Great to see Kieron McDonald involved on the sidelines one of my favourite ever players.would love Aiden O'Shea to score 1.4 or something and take away mom trophy.so unfairly criticised over the years I feel hope his day comes had so hoped he would leave Philly mac on his arse when he came on at the end.He is subjected to pure thuggery game after game but it leaves space for others cause he is such a handful.Hopefully mayo are capable of getting 2 maybe 3 goals that's what wins games. Kerry goal yesterday instead of square ball and they would of gone on to win well. It can be worth so much more than 3 points. COME ON MAYO !!!!

Whatever doubt there was before, I can't see Aidan not starting against Tyrone now... High press on their kickouts and compete for a 50/50 with him out the field.

A Mayo Tyrone final is a rare occasion, it'll certainly be a different buildup and mindset leading up to it and that might suit us down to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

so rare it's never happened before at senior level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

100% The amount of kick outs kerry won was unreal yet they lost this game. This defeat will hurt Kerry alot.

For once we have an opponent who don't really have history on their side. It's very open from that side a bit like 1998 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Regarding tickets my experience in limerick for the hurling final was that more came on stream than I genuinely expected I have good connections but still thought that 2 of my immediate family had no chance of going but they did and that's considering cork were our opponents and they've a huge following. Dont get me wrong there was loads before the match without tickets but anyone I knew that wanted to go got tickets that was my experience anyway I know mayo have a huge following and there will be some disappointed but majority should be ok.

Best of luck in the final 31 counties behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Yes, could be a game for Aidan. Still don't know where you'd play him. I'd still prefer a mobile midfield in Ruane and Loftus. Put him in full forward and he's going to get pulled and dragged, and can't guarantee he'll get the frees - I assume Gough will get the final and he tends to let a lot go. Could be demoralising to have him in there, just being consistently fouled out of it. That said, Tyrone will double up on him which could free up other players and open them up a bit.

I think midfield is an area to target in any case.

Tommy Conroy and Ryan O'Donoghue will be coming under pressure in this game. I think they will be targeted for a bit of bullying. I'm sure the Dublin game will have been huge for that bit of necessary steel, but it's something to bear in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Don't think the extra two weeks wait did any great favours for Kerry, a lot of any game is what's between the two ears. Pressure and expectations, assumptions.

Mayo are now in same boat and arguably likewise disadvantaged. Another challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

"Tommy Conroy and Ryan O'Donoghue will be coming under pressure in this game. I think they will be targeted for a bit of bullying. I'm sure the Dublin game will have been huge for that bit of necessary steel, but it's something to bear in mind."

Very good point re the smaller lads. They will really need to concentrate and hold the head so as not to bring the ball into the tackle. Ball will need to be distributed around as quickly as possible, and then get the optimum kick off. Either that, or have AOS full forward to add as a distraction. And hope that it creates a little more room for the others. I don't know who'd have to pick up McShane if he started. Who'd have the strength. I don't think Keegan is a strong type man marker. Great player obviously and great at getting the better of the likes of D Connolly and Kilkenny from Dublin. But not sure how how he'd cope against a powerful type confident player like McShane. Wouldn't be too worried about the rest of the Tyrone forwards. Maybe McKenna. He'd need to be closely watched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Tommy Conroy and ROD have got the treatment from Dublin. It will be no different with tyrone. They just need to do it for longer and with AOS in FF, we have the option to go long inside. He needs to be a right bull inside to bully tyrone. We can also pull him out into half forward line at times if we come under pressure and need to hit long ball out from hennelly. The amount of long ball hit by Tyrone yesterday was unreal when they were getting beatening to it all. We are definitely more mobile in midfield than Kerry so if we press like hell there could be alot of 50/50 balls.

Also on Kerry yesterday, they didn't spread the play like we do so I would expect us to play the hold possession better till we get a chance. Tyrone love this tight play and turned over Kerry alot. It will be an interesting final now and this is a great chance to finally nail this drought to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Thanks for this, good to know, I was watching the ticket situation with great interest and that was the feeling I got too. It'll probably be the latter end of next week before there's real moving.

McShane surely has to start,class is permanent.

That injury against Galway in the league last year really set him back?

I thought Bradley was pretty ineffective off the bench,young Canavan will be a huge threat.

McCurry grew into the game after a long ineffectual period.Everybody knows the quality Mattie Donnelly brings.

I still have very bad dreams re the league match when Tyrone ensured we were relegated from division 1.

Certainly appeared Kerry were undercooked,underestimated the red hand.Dangerous given their record against the Kingdom but then again who gave them a chance?

In many ways hard to be believe Kerry lost the game,lorded the middle.Morgan had a very poor day at the office and will be subjected to a severe examination with our high press.So we can definitely target dominance in the middle 1/3.

That squandered first half goal chance and Peter Keane's reluctance to make what were fairly obvious switches.Paul Geaney was largely anonymous,there were several others that could have and should have got the curly finger.

It was hard to credit Kerry's persistence in bringing the ball into the tackle down the central channels when it became abundantly clear it was not working.

Finally their near obssession with working goals in the first half when points were there for the taking in the first half.They could so easily have broken Tyrone's spirit.

Tyrone's conditioning was beyond impressive.It's a tough game to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

I think Mayo best to leave AOS on the bench.

• Advertisement

One man won’t necessarily win a match for you but he might certainly cost you a victory.

Horan has the smarts to structure the team required for Tyrone. I don’t think AOS is part of that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

"In many ways hard to be believe Kerry lost the game,lorded the middle.Morgan had a very poor day at the office and will be subjected to a severe examination with our high press.So we can definitely target dominance in the middle 1/3."

It's hard to know what to make of this point. I've read up a fair bit on the match yesterday. Big concensus is that Moran wasn't up to much. And Jack Barry had a nightmare game. But yet there are lots of comments that Kerry dominated midfield. Is it cleaning up the breaks?

We still have to pick 6 forwards. I don't see 6 players who warrant a start more than Aidan. I reckon he'll start and move between 11 and 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It'll be great trying to work out who will match up with who (I'm useless at that) but for me Big A starts. As someone mentioned earlier, our high press will force Morgan to go long and Aidan will hopefully capitalize on that in the middle. He'll be roaming from mid to 14 so will be busy.

• Advertisement

I don't think we'll see him near 14, there's too much to lose by that. If he's in at FF and Tyrone win the first few balls into him then it gives them a huge uneeded boost.

He'll float in the middle third imo, starting at 11. We really need to target their kickouts and he'll play a huge part in that.

One thing that I forgot to mention earlier was that Tyrone break very well from the back but they do so very centrally. Aidan at 11 should be expected to try to stifle those breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Would Tyrone getting to the final make it slightly less impossible to get a ticket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Would be interesting to see what James and the coaching team learned yesterday.

Dont take the ball into the tackle.

Press up on Morgan kick outs.

Any black card periods need to punished.

What's the craic on the ST draw?

When is it and when will we know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thats what I have been thinking. Said it to a few Kerry lads during the week at work that Tyrone will be decent enough and you write them off at your peril. They are very skillful and very well drilled. Seems I was proved right.

When you look at this years championship it is very hard to really forecast a winner. Looking at Mayo v's Dublin Mayo were awful for 40 minutes yet despite a very good second half when Dublin had ran out of steam there was still only a score in it. It seems teams are not playing the full 70 minutes but vital when they do they get the scores. Mayo were majestic against Galway but what will happen the next day is anyones guess.

Im not a fan of over analyzing the opposition. I think Mayo have the players to beat Tyrone IF Mayo go and play their own game. By that I mean use the natural ability of their players, Durkan, Ruane, McLoughlin O'Connor need to take on Tyrone from the off and attack them. That is the one thing they dont like, Dublin "out tyroned" and they didnt like it. They will concede frees. What I did see in Mayo was the level of conditioning and fitness and this will be invaluable. A few Mayo lads will be targeted but not necessarily the smaller lads. Tyrone will pick an area they feel they can dominate and work from there.

I think Mayo have the squad to win. Hope you get sorted with tickets and the good fans get looked after.

If A.O'Se starts he will be targeted like never before. Has he the temperament? I dont think he has and would react. Dublin got that out of their system up in Omagh and Tyrone had to take a different approach. Dublin the "out tyroned" them twice. Keegan has both the ability and strength for McShane. McGeary is the key man. So half forward line will be vital. I wouldn't change very much about the Mayo set up. The players are good enough to just match up and win the game. Tyrone will target an area as opposed to a player. Mayo must go out and attack from the start and then be able to keep ball. Thats what Tyrone will do if allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

There's plenty of things to question AOS about, his temperament is not one of them.

One of the coolest heads around when confronted with the dark arts.

Draw on Wednesday.You will be notified afterwards by email if you've been successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

When I said temperament I didnt mean he would lash out but rather lose his way. I also think he would be facing something he has not faced before in terms of intensity and niggling. When he has to go out the field hunting for the ball he can lose his way a little. At 14 If he doesnt win frees he could have a very negative effect on rest of the team. I suspect Frank Burns will be given job of marking him a very strong and imposing player with someone playing in front of him. Without him Tyrone have to play more and I just think Mayo have better players at moment. Its hard to call.

I do think Mayo players had to stand up without Cillian this year and when A.O'Se went off against Dublin Mayo were even better. I was really impressed with Hession and Flynn when introduced. Bit like Kerry playing Moran yesterday ahead of O'Connor at midfield. He slowed down the ball to Kerry forwards whereas Kerry with O'Connor are much quicker to transition which suits their forwards pace.

My six forwards would be from Diarmuid O'Connor, Kevin McLoughlin, Darren McHale; Tommy Conroy, Jordan Flynn, Ryan O'Donoghue Enda Hession and Darren Coen

who in their right mind would be a manager!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Out of curiousity why does it make it harder to get a ticket as its Tyrone

Tyrone support I'd imagine would be that bit more hungry for tickets,more fanatical and travel in greater numbers than Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I've posted a few time here over the last decade, most recently last December 19th, about how Mayo really need a break when it comes to All Ireland finals.

Every year we have either come up again Kerry hurting from another Tyrone defeat of Dublin the greatest team of all time.

Even in 2012 it was v a Donegal team that had caught lightning in a bottle and were a juggernaut.

I wished for the kind of thing Cork got in 2010, or Galway in 1998.

But this year it looks like Mayo may have had that sort of luck.

Don't get me wrong, Tyrone are a solid Division 1 team, they are no slouches but they are far from the monster we are used of meeting in finals.

So the onus is really on the Mayo players to step up and play to their full potential on the day, there is no place for them to hide now, they need to close it out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good post. Tyrone have 2 semis and a final since 2017 though. Against us we were lucky enough to get away with beating them in 2017, they weren't good in the final in 2018 they were beaten by Kerry in 2019 semi.

They have some hardened players but we would have more experience on the pitch, bench and sideline. We have had a good record aside from that important league defect when McKenna ran riot.

I think if we played either last Sat we would have beaten them, with that game and 2 more weeks then Tyrone will have more fitness.

They will not have any doubt they can beat us.

But as per 2012, this is a top chance to win it, 2016 when we had 2 own goals then and who knows if that didn't happen we had Dublin rattled.

Its KEY we don't concede goals early, its KEY that our defense and keeper don't cough up mistakes and that ROD gets his feet on a few nice frees. Tommy goals will be critical to have a strong start to the game, in last years final he had a poor game and against Galway and Dublin he started really slowly.

AOS will take a wall of abuse, but he doesn't give 2 shi09tes about that.

I hope David Gough gets it, as if its Deegan or Lane then they aren't good options IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I think Kerry getting through would have been the break. There was never anything to fear from Kerry except fear itself. Tyrone is a very unusual tactical dynamic for Horan to deal with. For the first time ever in a big game there is no standout match ups. We will face a team who play similar in possession to ourselves with hard running half backs, Tyrone have an added element of scoring fullbacks. If AOS plays FF its straight into Tyrones bag he'll be harassed and fouled all day and won't get a free. Mayo need forwards scoring from 35 or 40 yards out because inside that is a quagmire, cul de sac. Tyrone persisted with losing their own long kickout all day long as they were happy to let Kerry have the ball to run it into their venus fly trap of a back line. Mayo must be much more clever and not carry the ball into tackle at any cost and try to set up scorable distance attempts. It's a really tough task for Mayo, you must hope managerial experience will count, a bit of luck wouldn't go astray either. 50/50 game I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Just a question on the season ticket draw.

A lot (I'd say the majority) have more than one ticket on each account. So, if the number is drawn, does everyone on the account get a ticket or is it just one ticket per account and it's up to the account holder to figure out who gets it (which would be an even worse scenario than not getting one at all)?

Haven't seen any info about the draw at all, CB being very quiet which is just leading to questions and confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

not from Mayo ( or from Connacht ) but live in the West , Mayo must win this , Tyrone are an awful awful plague on football

dreadful stuff

do it for football Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

no team ( and especially Mayo ) can out cynic Tyrone so its vital Mayo dont get dragged into a game where everything is smothered.

Dublin beat Tyrone handy two or three years ago as Tyrone could not get hold of the ball , Mayo can play open flowing football as good as anyone ( bar Dublin ) so need to play their own style

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DavidL22

I know this sounds a bit crazy but anyone else heard a rumour of Cillian making the bench?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Advertisement