Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So nothing like chasing a cat around a garden then, unless your version of chasing a cat around a garden involves hitting it with a rock, then finishing it off with a concrete block, while being scratched by briars?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Yes.

Alfie said a Frenchwoman who complains about everything was his neighbour but she wasn't there often. Shirley told him to shhh, probably to head off one of Alfie's little rants, while agreeing the French neighbour liked to complain.

That's it.

No one was interested in hearing what the Frenchwoman had to complain about

Totally agree re: running of the investigation, but not sure from where are they going to recover this DNA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭dublin49

wow .talk about shooting the messenger,Moonunit is well versed in the minutiae of the case and contributed very positively to the debate on this thread ,

just because like me he/she does not share your opinion on this case shouldn't result in him/her receiving abusive posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

We both agreed before to ignore our posts yet he is still commenting on mine. Look back through the thread and inform yourself. I have no problem debating with someone who is willing to see a reasonable point of view but he/she ignores anything that points towards Bailey's innocence.

• Advertisement

This is a complete fabrication. No indepedent witnesses corroborated MF's original statements, especially considering the statements didn't even identify the tall Ian Bailey but a short, sallow skinned man. So if they are your most reliable ones, they exonerate Ian Bailey.

We're expected to believe that MF saw Ian Bailey and in describing him, didn't mention he was tall?

And had never seen him about Schull in the year she was living and working on its main street, except for the weekend before the murder?

Simply not credible.

This is a total lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Marie Farrell is a liar. But, like all liars, she sometimes tells the truth. But nothing she says can be trusted.

Whether what she says supports the prosecution's case or undermines it is irrelevant.

There is no point in debating which particular statement is true and which is false. there is no way of knowing.

Its a dead end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Dan Griffin and Ceri Williams saw IB in Schull at the same time Sophie was shopping and during the same period that MF saw the man she described. Ceri Williams' statement is similar to MF's, she had seen Sophie coming out of a shop and IB was across the road at the time.

Witnesses saw IB at a house very close to the spot MF saw the same man hitchiking the next morning. IB had slept on the sofa at the Murphy house and said he had left at some point during the night. One witness said he heard the front door opening shortly before MF saw the man hitchiking.

Neither MF nor the gardai could have known these other statements would be made putting IB in the same areas as MF's sightings. It could have very easily happened that IB was spotted fly fishing outside the custom house in Dublin when she said she saw a man hitchiking outside Schull.

Where are the witness statements describing a man matching the man Marie Farrell described? The sallow skinned man from her original statements? The one she saw on the night of the murder?

How did these other witnesses recognise Ian Bailey and Marie Farrell did not? She's never seen him about town before?

Completely incredible.

As for "during the same time"? Oh will you come off it, it was Schull, how many times had Ian Bailey been on that main street?

How many other man were on Schull main street during "this time"? Come on, answer up?

And if you don't know that, how can you connect Bailey and the man MF described, who looks nothing like Bailey?

So to present that as independent witnesses corroborating MF's evidence is utterly false and without merit.

What is this nonsense about a hitchhiker? Another red herring dropped in when you are unable to back up one of your fabrications and misrepresentations.

All irrelevant fluff MoonUnit and you know it.

Until a connection between Bailey and Sophie can be established, or some new evidence placing him at the scene is discovered, , or a plausible motive emerges, there is simply no solid evidence to link him to the crime.

Endless burrowing down meaningless rabbit holes will not move the debate forward.

Until one or more of the above changes, the case against Bailey is a non starter.

• Advertisement

All DNA was sophies except the sample from her shoe so I don't know what he means by

Retired Detective Inspector Pat Marry says forensic ­science has revolutionised the ways crimes are probed and he’s amazed it was never used in the high-profile case of the slain French film producer that featured on recent Sky and Netflix documentaries.

Forensic science was used as much as they were able to with Sophie. Marry got Marilyn's killer because the killer left a sample that matched a suspect

I was responding to the suggestion that the French should have discarded all of MF's statements, in my opinion they drew the obvious conclusion that two of her sightings were consistent with the known locations of IB according to other witnesses and neither MF or the gardai could have known that or colluded to make up these sightings. That is the same conclusion Judge Moran came to in 2003 after hearing all the witnesses. The fact that MF lodged 17 official complaints of intimidation and sent a solicitors letter to IB, later receiving a letter herself threatening legal action against her for talking to the media about the case puts a far greater question mark over her dramatic u-turn than her original statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Most logical posters on this thread will probably rule out Ian Bailey as the potential murder suspect.

There's just too many pointers that suggest he had nothing to do with the murder at all - Period.

So, who is really in the spot light here with Bailey gone??

For me, it's a crime of passion.. Always has been. But not necessarily conclusive to Sophie.

Sure.. Sophie was nearing the end of her marriage to her film producer Husband. It's accepted that she had a relationships outside her marriage, with at least one bloke with violent tendencies..

But did the soon to be divorced Husband not have cash flow problems..? Did he not have another woman on the go as well..? The same woman he got pregnant shortly after Sophie's sad demise..?

Would Sophie not have been entitled to a good chunk of her Husbands assets?? I don't know how the French law operates around divorce settlements, I assume it's similar to ours..?

Some poster before me suggested a similar scenario, but if you take a step back, it makes sense..

The Hubby is running around with a young one, his current Mrs is playing the field, he was running out of money, she had a feisty personality and would rightfully want her share of the empire... Would she not be better out of the way??

Harsh things to suggest I know... But this is a murder enquiry.

Note - He didn't travel over to Ireland with the Family after her brutal death (odd?)

And to cap it all off.. When our investigators requested to speak to potential French witness's, they were told to take a hike!!

The French side of Sophie's Family appear to be accepting of Jailing Ian Bailey for murder.. Yet they are an intelligent Family, not the easily led type of people, surely they have researched the investigation notes like ourselves... Yet they don't see the contradictions???

The French Connection should at the very least be explored here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭Treppen

Hitch hiking? Like with their thumb out facing traffic going in the same direction?

She said he was standing at the side of the road and appeared to be trying to flag her down for a lift even though she was going in the opposite direction.

The French should never have proceeded with the trial in the first place.

Nothing MF says can be trusted. Nothing.

There is, therefore, little point in debating the veracity or otherwise of individual statements or claims made by her. Attempting to make subjective judgements on the comparative chances of one being more truthful than another is just semantics. It does not and cannot support the case for or against.

What is far more relevant is the total absence of direct evidence connecting Bailey to the victim, the crime and the crime scene.

The case against him is non existent. Unless and until new, compelling evidence, connecting Bailey to the crime comes to light, the tenuous circumstantial stuff is of academic interest only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

I agree - Daniel Toscan Du Plantier had the most to gain from Sophies death. Lets face it it worked out very well for him - no financial loss from a messy divorce ( infact he probably gained financially from Sophies death) and he was left free to get his new girlfriend pregnant and marry her. The way he behaved after the murder wasnt the way a grieving husband behaves. They were pretty much separated but he was stressing how much in love they were and told a french reporter that Sophie was pregnant with his baby at the time of her death. This pregnancy was never confirmed though. Very odd that he was trying to convince everyone that they were a happy couple when clearly they werent. Also Sophies family were supposed to be very upset by the way he organised her funeral - apparently they felt the funeral was all about Daniel and less about Sophie.

The French should be reminded that they blocked a proper investigation into the French side of Sophies life. Lets face it Sophie had nothing going on in West Cork - she just kept to herself in West Cork yet she had a very complicated life in France.

Yes, all very interesting.

Had this murder occurred in France, Daniel would be a very strong suspect.

If I remember correctly, there was an insurance policy on Sophie's life and again if my memory serves me, he was the, or at least a, beneficiary.

One must have sympathy for Sophie's family. Of course they want justice.

But I too am curious as to why they are so convinced that Bailey was the Killer.

U

As long as you remember this is just your opinion, that's fine. Others may agree or disagree but your opinion holds no more weight than that of the nearest bus driver or dentist.

There are independent witnesses to the intimidation she was under. The Bandon tapes showed she was not under any pressure to provide statements and was in fact well able to tell the gardai to feck off with themselves if she wanted to.

• Advertisement

So her husband orders a 'hit' on his wife and the hitman arrives with no weapon, entices her out of her house and then chases her across open countryside, finally killing her with a stone and a brick. Then leaves the body right there on the edge of the lane so it will be discovered as soon as possible. To make sure this all goes smoothly, the French police conspire to prevent witnesses being interviewed by Irish police, and they do this because, eh, something.

This really is like watching primary school children figure out who stole Ann and Barry's schoolbags based on Volume 1 of 'Read it Yourself'.

Its more believable than the your theory that a drunk man named IB walked to her house in the dark, chased her from her house accross open countryside, kills her but leaves no evidence whatsover even though hes a drunk fool. Then takes the long way home to stop off to clean himself in freezing cold water. Only witness to this is a mother of 5 who was having an affair with the invisible man. He then goes home and has a jolly old christmas. Now which theory seems more plausible?

Also answer for me why did the French block the Irish police from investigating her French life?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭solasGael

What is your opinion of AL as a suspect. Was he capable of murder? He and SF seem to consistently disparage Sophie and I wonder what the degree of hostility between them was. Also, do you know much about their backgrounds.

Post edited by solasGael on

I need no reminding that this is an opinion based discussion. Neither do I need or seek your approval to express mine.

The Bandon tapes showed, very clearly, that there was a "rather personal" relationship between MF and Garda Fitzgerald. I think the report termed it "questionable" A not very subtle nuance.

But, I must patiently re-iterate: There is nothing of substance to link Ian Bailey to this crime. Nothing to link him to the crime scene, no association with Sophie and no motive.

Until that particular brick wall is at least weakened in some way, there is nothing to implicate Bailey. That may be an unpalatable fact for those that hold rigidly to the view that he is guilty, but facts are stubborn things.

As you kindly pointed out above, this is an open forum and all suggestions regarding the unknown issues in this case are worthy of consideration. To immediately dismiss Flanna's theory like this is just a, fairly typical, knee-jerk reaction. Although I am sceptical of the husband's involvement, he cannot be totally ruled out as he, at least, had plausible motive. And his behaviour subsequent to Sophie's death was indeed curious.

All theories posted here should be welcomed as material for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I never mentioned a 'hit' on Sophie.... Can you point out were I stated that?

Your theories are falling apart. You are blind to any other scenario outside of Ian Bailey murdering Sophie.

I suggested that the French side of the murder victim wasn't investigated half enough... They have more motive for Sophie to be out of the picture than anybody in Schull:

The Husband: Already has another girl on the go, has financial difficulties, is looking at a massive divorce settlement, knows his not so dear wife has a nice insurance policy on her life..

Ex Boyfriend: A man already noted for violent tendencies, thought nothing of trying to strangle Sophie in the middle of the day among plenty of on looking witnesses.. Ticks all the boxes for a a total whack job to me..

The Girlfriend: So this young one gets a taste of the good life, the camera's, and the media spotlight.. Maybe her fella has explained she could be his next wife with the present one out of the way... What better way to seal the deal than make her pregnant? Maybe she sent a clumsy nephew / cousin over to Ireland to get rid of Sophie..

For sure, the above scenario's are all pie in the sky, but each person listed has a genuine motive to harm / remove Sophie.

Each of the above gains something by her demise, be it financially or mentally.

As far out as it may seem... They all have more motive for harming Sophie that a drunken Poet stumbling around Schull after closing time...

A drunken Poet that didn't leave or take one shred of evidence, to or from the murder scene...

But like you say... It was probably like somebody chasing the cat out of the garden..... I rest my case.

I never mentioned a 'hit' on Sophie.... Can you point out were I stated that?

Right about here:

if you take a step back, it makes sense..
    The Hubby is running around with a young one, his current Mrs is playing the field, he was running out of money, she had a feisty personality and would rightfully want her share of the empire... Would she not be better out of the way??
    Harsh things to suggest I know... But this is a murder enquiry.

Both her husband and her ex from a couple of years previously were in France, both were verified to be where they said they were. Did either of them carry it out by extra sensory perception, astral travelling perhaps? Maybe his golf caddy did it as a Christmas surprise present for him. Stay tuned to the wacky theories thread to find out.

Was the 'girlfriend' capable of carrying a 25kg block from the pumping station to smash on Sophie's head after bashing her repeatedly with a rock? Was she in the country? Was she even his girlfriend at the time?

What is the source for your suggestion the husband was in financial difficulties?

None of that is 'my theory', it was the theory put forward by both the relevant investigative authorities in Ireland and France. I've already said the suggestion that the killer went to the shore at Kealfadda bridge to wash off blood was speculation on my part, the garda case was that, for whatever reason, a man who has not been eliminated from the inquiry was spotted at that location.

You have repeatedly over and over again supported this theory on this thread so it is your theory as well as that of the gardai.

Please just for a few hours put Ian Bailey as the murderer out of your head and think about other theories and evaluate them properly - please - I think we all would be interested in hearing your views. You have to admit Sophie led a very colourful and complicated life which does give rise to the possibilty that someone else murdered her - surely you can see that.

• Advertisement

There is nothing "wacky" about considering the possibility of Daniel du Plantier's involvement in the crime.

Circa 25 of female murder victims are killed by their spouse or partner. Furthermore, he stood to make considerable financial gain from her death. Add to that his rather odd behaviour after the event and it is not unreasonable to ask the question.

I personally think its a long shot but it is not in any way "wacky" to raise the possibility.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement