Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Isn't this likely to be an intense but short term problem? It is something you'd expect to settle to normal levels quite quickly after a surge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Assuming the cause is 'immune deficit', then yes, you would expect things to settle down after a surge but the surge will last quite some time.

The NY Times reports that the RSV surge began in May 2021 and is now getting worse as schools return. i.e. the surge will go on for months. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/24/well/live/rsv-respiratory-synctial-virus.html

And this is on top of covid cases. A separate NY Times article this week documents the effect Delta has had on childrens hospitals as schools return in the US. Some ICU units for children are in "chaos" ... https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/27/us/children-covid-delta.html

Hopefully the 'immune deficit' principal will not also apply to flu this Winter. Too early to tell yet on what will happen with flu but the impact on RSV is clear.

Post edited by JTMan on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Concerning comments from Scott Gottieb on how the return to schools is going in the US ....

Context - the equivalent of 4 here. A small number of kids with always end up in hospital with respiratory viruses. 1 or 2 days maximum in almost every instance. There is an abundance of caution when dealing with children and the will often be admitted in a scenario where adults would not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Local school went back in last Thursday. Today an entire junior class is out as close contacts because one of the children tested positive on Friday. A set of parents managed to send their symptomatic child in on the first day and shut down the entire class for a week.

Awful parents are a minority, but there are still 4 or 5 in every class and they will continue to wreck everything for the forseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Very high risk teacher back to school today. So sick of being at home so I’m really glad in some ways and super nervous in others. Got AstraZeneca back before in April before it was taken out of my age group so here’s hoping it works well!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

If any consolation, my very high risk vulnerable mother got AZ in April also. I had her for dinner on BH Mon evening. I came down with symptoms Tuesday morning and subsequently tested positive (fully vax pfizer). Thankfully Mam never tested positive and it would appear it protected her.

The very best of luck on the return to the classroom.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This summer has been a complete nightmare for us with sickness with creche/ECCE kids. By far the worst period we've ever had. Coughs and temperatures galore, we've had about an 8 week solid period where there was always someone who had a cough and temperature. Always tested, never Covid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My youngest has been one on one with a childminder for the last year, with just his siblings there too outside of school, so I expect the coming months to basically be a continuous infection of some sort.

Our GP was telling us they've been seeing a lot of the usual winter stuff in the spring / summer months instead. I think I'll lose the plot entirely if there's another cough or temperature in the next few weeks.

Maybe we've just been really unlucky but I'd be making sure I'm well stocked up on Calpol and Nurofen! 😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The croup episode with no.3 recently made me realise that everything in the house needed restocking, so we are ready🤦‍♀️Well.As ready as we can be.

Might add in some probiotics to that stockpile though.

Every household must have a drawer full of these yokes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Can't remember when I last bought calpol/similar, it was pre covid anyway, not a sniffle between the four kids since this started, probably make up for it this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Thank you. That’s lovely to hear! I’m secondary too so I’m hoping between vaccinations and the distancing still there all will be well!

My kids are getting a puff of Nasaleze in each nostril before school in the morning.

The active ingredient is hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, also the active ingredient in Taffix, which has some (small) evidence of effectiveness (78%) against Covid and lots of evidence of effectiveness against viral infection more generally. Nasaleze tends to be a bit more widely available and a bit cheaper, since the company hasn't done covid-specific studies of its own, and it can be used by pregnant/breastfeeding women and children over 3.

Thought I'd mention it, for people concerned about their kids bringing the virus home to anyone vulnerable.

Perhaps. I've used Nasaleze for a long time for allergies and it works well. The papers re: viral use were enough for me to give it a "what they hey" go, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So NPHET want to put masks on Primary School children? A New Normal? What about teaching & learning or the fact they won’t be able to keep them on? What an absolutely disgusting suggestion.

Cannot see parents or teachers agreeing to this. Teaching & learning would be severely affected, learning outcomes & children’s development would be severely curtailed. They’ve already lost so much school time. Let’s see will people who actually know their stuff in this area speak up.

Most adults are vaccinated now, we’re supposed to be getting back to more normality. Are we really going to let the dinosaurs that haven’t a clue about this area get away with this?

This is clearly a ploy to force the vaccine in the under 12’s if it gets approved for that age group.

I’m quite confident if there’s research being done on mask wearing for under 12’s, it would demonstrate that in this age group is not only ineffective, it’s akin to abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Fully agree with this. I was hoping the requirements for teachers wearing masks in the classrooms as it is pointless when there's up to 35 unmasked in some rooms and just the teacher in a mask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Where are you reading about NPHET wanting Masks for Primary ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Reviewing it, which is probably kite flying before they announce it, maybe for pe indoors or something, honestly think it might be a faster way to spread covid with younger kids, they will end up swapping masks, having their masks in contact with each other s masks when not in use, it will increase outbreaks of every bug etc.

So, NPHET has asked HIQA to review mask wearing for Primary School kids and it will decide in September. Surely, this could have been decided earlier in the Summer with the guidance being issued BEFORE the schools re-opened ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Here it is. I’m confident after meeting parents & children over the last few days, this will not be supported. Will the experts speak up? This is abuse, plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

I wouldn’t be a fan of masks on primary kids. Some adults are hard enough to understand wearing them sometimes, but children especially those who may have speech issues might struggle more to make themselves understood. Restrictions are either coming to an end or they are not.

• Advertisement

We had asked our kids to wear masks on the return to school back in March. They mostly complied with the request but having seen the results masks on young kids are a no from me. Never mind the messing that goes on with them. Small kids dropping them into the toilet and putting them back on. Dropping them onto the bathroom floor and picking them up. Covid would be the least of my worries with masks in schools.

For me it depends on the age of the kids. Our 11 year old wore a mask last school year - no problem. She is 12 now and 6th Class and will again wear a mask. For me, there is little difference between her and a child in 1st Year.

For younger kids (under 10 maybe) and certainly the first few years of Primary, I don't think it would realistically work.

There's an Indo piece on a possible scenario IF experts agree. It's not a plan anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

Are schools going to get funding to provide masks for every child or are parents expected to provide them?

What happens if a child turns up with no mask? Do we turn them away?

What do we do if a parent states that they do not want their child masked? Do we turn them away or mask them anyways?

The wearing of masks is not an issue for most children - children adapt better to these things than adults do.

Would expect it to be similar to Secondary schools.

Our Secondary school provided each child with 1 mask with the school crest on it (with the option to buy more of those). Then they said that any other masks used need to be either medical or reuseable ones with no logos on them - so we bought plain ones.

• Advertisement

I won't be buying into that.As another poster says, we are either lifting restrictions or we're not.Plus we went through the worst of this with no vaccines, kids in schools and no masks and it didn't seem to be an issue, so as far as I can see there is no justifying this at all.

Well let's face it, the one thing we have truly shown we excel at in the last 18 months as a country is reactive action, and not forward planning.So that would fit in nicely with the status quo so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I would agree. My 12 year old could manage a mask no issue. In fact has been this last year. But I dont think it would work for younger children.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

100% agree. Lifting restrictions, 90% + vaccinated & we now turn around & say to primary kids to wear a mask. Its a step backwards!! Hoping secondary can get rid of theirs soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

That article on masks for primary school kids is pure click bait from the Indoh'

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My children have to wear masks in primary school here, the wearing is a non-issue for the kids. But the whole exercise is pointless. They are all mingling together on the way to school and on the way back from school and they can take off the masks when they are outside on their breaks where they are on top of each other. Might as well have no masks in the school for all the difference it really makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DubLad69

What effect will the newly announced removal of restrictions mean for post primary schools? Will we still have the mandatory masks and the 1 meter distance in classrooms?

Martin from the presser.

Speaking at a news conference following his address, Taoiseach Micheál Martin said the wearing of masks in secondary schools after 22 October will be the "subject of review".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

What exactly is the reason for recommending the wearing of masks by primary pupils at this late stage of the pandemic? Most adults are fully vaccinated. Therefore, the possibility of a primary pupil being infected by the Delta variant is very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Vaccines do not provide complete protection from transmission, Delta is more transmissible than the variants we had last school year, and when we had cases this high the schools were closed.

I'm not advocating the use of masks, just responding to your specific question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Will in-person PT meetings return this year do we think?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Still no signs of any cO2 monitors in school today.

We are planning on having them anyway. Principal mentioned that there was a circular issued and it recommended to have them. This is primary now. We had to do reports on each child and there was so much more work involved than face to face meetings so I welcome the return of the meeting.

Anything on teachers still having to wear masks after the 22nd?

Seems like a punishment almost that we have to still wear masks despite being vaccinated, purely because the children we teach are unable to be vaccinated.

I havent heard anything about masks being compulsory in education after the 22nd. Retail, hospitals and that's about it. Nothing about education

Thanks. Thought I heard large education settings at some stage on the radio, presumed that might have meant 3rd level.

I havent heard a thing. And have been looking to see, as I would love not to have to wear them any more. To me as a fully vaccinated person it's totally pointless now. The kids are not going to be vaccinated and I have no problem with this so I'd rather just go back to normal teaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s very strange that there is no mention of education in terms of masks or physical distancing either . Maybe they are going .......I didn’t expect any change in schools this side of Xmas !

There is a line in it though saying certain sectors may need to continue with both or something to that effect . Still suprised education is not named outright like the others though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I do wonder what line the unions would take on it . Anecdotally I get the feeling most teachers would be happy to go back to “normal” . But the minority can make a lot of noise

• Advertisement

Fed up of the union at this stage. As usual the vocal minority give the rest of us a bad name!! Any teachers I know would be delighted to not have to wear masks any more.

Advertisement