Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I have repeatedly said here (and to many others) that throwing and steps are making the game ridiculously easy and almost impossible to defend against, especially when added to incredible fitness, s&c and advanced coaching/tactics methodology.

As sticks get ever more advanced (they already bear little resemblence to traditional camans) the game is just going to be a turbo powered running, passing and throwing contest with balls fizzing over bar from 100 meters and more.

When all the orgasms over 2-36 to 1-33 scorelines fade, we will have a boring monotonous game played by well drilled robots, flying around the pitch allowed do whatever they want with the sliotar in hand.

I cant see it happeneing soon but my firm belief is that the handpass has run its course in hurling. If you cannot even remotely ref whether a ball is legally struck from hand (and it's clear we cant), then the only sensible solution to me is to scrap it. It came in to hurling as a last resort, if you were bottled up, use the handpass. Now it is totally overused (and clearly as we now see, frequently an illegal throwing move to gain advantage).

Nobody can tell me that Cian Lynch's pass to Hegarty for 1st goal on Sunday wasn't a throw.

Cian Lynch is a wizard of a hurler and a nightmare to try to mark anyway, but if you add further advantages to his play such as throwing, soon enough no one will want to play as a back.

But as long as we keep getting the big scoring games and the "oh my word" hyperbole, no one is going to stop the thowing and the 8-10 step sprints with ball in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Well said, all everyone gets excited about is the high scorelines, and all these matches are automatically claimed to be one of the greatest games ever, but, there's little to no actual hurling going on, just shooting practice, there's now a scoring chance every minute in nearly all matches, the game has become almost impossible for defenders. Despite the high scorelines I think the games have actually become boring and monotonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

I would agree that something needs to be done about the handpass but I wouldn't agree with getting rid of it as I think that teams would try to bottle up the player in possession and we would end up with more rucks. What has to happen is that there is a minimum of say 3 inches between the hand and ball when a pass is being made. Players may get away with a 2 inch gap but will not get away with what is happening at the moment. Introduce it at the start of the league and award 20 frees in a match if you have to but players and managers will cop on shortly enough. Do something similar with steps. The problems with throwing the ball and steps are solvable but it needs an edict from the top of the GAA to the referees to implement it on a consistent basis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Agree with blackcard, getting rid of the handpass would create a very ugly gave where it would be too easy to bottle up a man in possession and force him into fouling the ball. Just change the rule as they suggested to something like a three inch requirement giving referees plenty of discretion but more or less eliminating obvious throws. And when the Sunday game pundits inevitably start whining and overreacting just because some league game in the pissing rain in March is being ruined by "over refereeing" rather than players breaking a rule, just this once, don't cave to the pressure, and have some faith that in the medium term it'll be rewarded by players adjusting to new realities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

Ball in hand must be handpassed with the opposite hand 😁 we'll see some skill then 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

To be honest, I think the rule is actually ok as it is, it's all about enforcement. The rules says it must be a clear striking motion. For me that means there must be obvious daylight between the ball in hand. If you do it too fast for the ref to see it that's your problem not the refs it must be clear. Enforce what we have empower the refs to make the calls and cut it out of the game. There is no point calling it in the league and then not calling it in the championship though, as that just makes a mess of the league for no reason. Do it and stick to your guns.

If players or managers whinge that the modern player is just so quick and skilful that the ref is to thick and can't see it. I think it's on pundits and refs to point out that it wasn't a clear striking motion if it's that fast that you can only see it with a super slow mo.

Ballyhale are obviously the strong favourites for the Championship before it starts. Everyone else has to prove they can get to Ballyhales level having intercounty men TJ, Adrian and Darren, Eoin Cody, Joey, Richie Reid, Darragh Corcoran, ex county men like Colin Fennelly, Eoin Reid and lads close to the standard like Evan Shefflin and Dean Mason. That's 2/3rds of their team at a very high standard.

Can anyone topple them?

The Village, Dicksboro and O'Loughlins are probably considered the main challengers. Teams like Clara, Comer, Bennettsbridge, Tullaroan and Mullinavat not far off these 3 but likely will struggle for consistency. I'd expect The Rower, Ballycallan and Lisdowney to be fighting to avoid relegation.

The Village came the closest to taking down Ballyhale in the semi last year and but for some errant shooting they would have deservedly one. The Village had been inconsistent up to that performance but saved their best performance to last. If they can improve a few notches they might have a chance. The Village will be hoping Conor Browne is healthy come championship and that the likes of Luke Scanlon and Tadhg O'Dwyer can step it up again.

The Boro were the most consistent and strongest team up until the final and then they completely fell apart on the day against a ravenous Ballyhale team. The Boro will need to come back better and stronger and they need to find a few leaders for when the **** hits the fan. They will be happy to have Andy Gaffney back and healthy and scoring for fun so far, they will need his likes to challenge. They have the strongest and most even squad without having too many stand out players especially up front. If one or two of the forwards can make an impression they'll likely be back in a final again.

OLG have loads of lovely young hurlers but they seem to have lost their edge and steeliness that they had with Hogan and Gort. A few of the younger lads will need to step and take on the mantel particularly up front. The likes of Kelly, O'Shea, Heary and Molloy could power the team on if they can be more consistent. They have a strong back 6 so they should always be hard to beat and be in contention.

The chasing pack

Clara did well in the all county League getting to the final (not that it counts for much) Their a tough outfit and Conor O'Shea is leading the forward line well their first 15 will give anyone a game but like most in this section it's the bench were they will struggle to finish against the top 4 but can take any of them on their day.

I've heard a lot of good things coming out of Bennettsbridge this summer and their supposed to be hurling a nice brand of hurling under Willie Maher and Dan Shanahan. They have plenty of talent in their starting 15 as well and will likely take a few scalps and if they can up their intensity they could make a run back to the final.

Tullaroan were probably the unluckiest team in the League last year losing or drawing games they were winning and should have seen out. Talking to one of their top men they found the step up in awarness and movement of your man as huge thing they weren't all clued into. Could do well this year if they have themselves up to the pitch of it, they have some nice talent around the field.

Comer will be their dogged self and it will be interesting to see what way Martin Fogarty has them playing. They have a nice few young forwards who can improve them if they can push on as well as a fierce sold back line with Delaney, Wallace and Fogarty.

Mullinavat are big strong and tough and if they can feed the likes of Walsh they'll cause teams trouble with big men like Aylward in the defence and Malone up front their a handful for any team. They seem to struggle against the top teams when they don't let the agro get to them.

The tail end

The Rower will always be tough to beat and will hope to have Richie Leahy for a injury free spell this year. Joe Lyng will always cause trouble for any teams with his size and aggression if they can harness it they should be safe again.

GBC have struggled with the step up since getting up to senior have some nice players and if Billy and his brother Sean are injury free and in form they should be able to stay up. Will be interesting to see how Cloonan has them playing.

Lisdowney are probably my favourites to go down and mainly because they don't have the forwards to see them safe. They'll be tough to beat every day but I think most teams will eventually get those extra scores to beat them. Wouldn't fancy playing them in a relegation final though.

1st weekends games.

Saturday

OLG v GBC- OLG should win this

Erins Own v Boro- Boro should have enough to get over this after a slog

The Village v The Rower- The Village

Clara v Mullinavat- a draw

Sunday

The Bridge v Ballyhale- Bennettsbridge, mainly because Ballyhale tend to start slow and will likely rest TJ and Darren Mullen if not 100%

Tullaroan v Lisdowney- a hard one to call but I'll go with Tullaroan just

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Is it all tickets for the club matches this weekend like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think they are waiting on the government announcement tomorrow to see how many are allowed to go to matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dodgysub

Are GBC doing a forecast competition this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

I see Mooncoin won the junior A final at weekend, will they have 2 junior teams next year? providing they dont win the junior this year.

Yeah they are. Haven't seen it myself but was in the Blue Bar last weekend and the bar man said they were in selling them.

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

I see is first come first served for the weekend at the games.

Yeah from what I heard they tried 3 different methods last weekend to judge which was best.

1. Pay at the gate
    2. Club buys all the tickets and sells them on
    3. The club orders tickets in pods sizes determined beforehand

Option 1 obviously one out and I'm delighted it did too.

Only question I have is for the double header in Nowlan Park on Sunday does the crowd in for the first match have to leave before the second match starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

No real clue but if the government go on a 30% capacity they won't have a problem.

Any word on whether matches will be streamed this year?

One of the few benefits of Covid in 2020 was I saw far more club games than I normally would.

Will be very intersting to see how Colin Fennelly goes. No question for me but he was missed and if it was a straight choice between him and Walter, I take Colin every day of the week.

Also, will be interesting to see if Richie Hogan tears it up at intermediate, how well he goes next month or two will surely have a bearing on his future county plans. I share my distaste with other posters here on his treatment last few years. I didnt think bringing him on in the 70th min v Wex in 2019 could be topped in terms of insult, but bringing him on after 85 mins versus Cork was almost as bad, shocking tretement for such a great.

When will Cody make his annual announcement he is staying on for another year, the suspension is killing me!😅

Its usually around November he makes his mind up James and himself will be touring the county the next couple of weeks.

Not being rude but do you really believe he hasn't his mind made up, or that he hadn't his mind made up long before November each and every year since 1999?

Maybe just me but I've long tired of this "I'll take some time out and make a decision in November" routine. Let's be frank, we would all fall off our seats if he said "no, I won't ask to be considered", and it's a charade I believe that doesnt help the senior set up any more. And also makes us look like a one man show.

Brian Cody almost certainly knows right now that he will be managing the Kilkenny team in 2022. He should just square that up with county board now and allow everyone process that, it would also probably help a few hurlers (two I mentioned above) decide on their IC futures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I totally agree. It's long past the time for the County Board to retake the authority. The club championships begins next weekend and the County Board should have the management team in place before then. It would ensure that every match is covered by whatever management team is installed, and not just by one individual.

• Advertisement

I was only been sarcastic about we are all sick of the November public anouncment its like the queen speech on christmas day to the english.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

McGarry & Gorta leaving & Cody staying on is the story/rumour going round the last week

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

When was the last time there was any kind of contest for the KK managers job?

When the present man got the job i would imagine, if its true gorta is going i would not be suprised if you saw a reaction from the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

Mcgarry and Gorta leaving seems to be very strong rumour ......I'm afraid Brian has lost the plot at this stage..... if he can't see it's time to go you would hope family or friends would advise him to ....this could turn very sour which would be very sad after all he's done ......but he's not the only one who should go .....complete new county board needed .....not one of current crew should be kept

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I think most supporters are of the opinion that Cody should step aside.

I would also be of that opinion. Thanks for the memories, but good bye

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

The County Board can be replaced by the clubs and I haven't seen any rush of applications. Therefore we get what we deserve, unfortunately. However, surely there is somebody with balls at their Monday night weekly meetings who would propose a review of last year's performances by all county teams with a view to implementing necessary changes for the future. The changes should also include the appointment of all managers and management teams. We're just drifting along over the last five years or so and delaying the opportunity to be more competitive. If Gorta in particular has stepped away it's hard to see a mad rush from likely candidates to replace him.

We all own Kilkenny hurling. The County Board represent us and they need to take back ownership on our behalf as a matter of urgency. They've neglected to do so when it has become critical in recent years. It's time to get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

If Cody and the County board stay on it is destroying Kilkenny hurling for the next 10 years. I often see videos of Cody talking to organisations about team building, power, ego etc. The man seems to have the biggest ego I have ever come across. Does he not act on what he preaches about. Does he think he is right and most people are wrong. Very sad situation we find ourselves in.

I give the county board a lot flak but kudos where it's due, well done for getting this going. I understand last year was probably a rush so they did a deal with Nemeton (This could be too) but the pricing is good and they finally are starting a Kilkenny GAA TV. Hopefully they keep it up, start adding last year's games to it. Offer an annual membership option. Have old Kilkenny matches and county finals lots have been recorded since the mid 90's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I don't imagine the county board would ever go against cody.Alot of yes men in there.

I'd hate to see things getting ugly but its going that way and the last few years there has being unrest in the county.Some of the decisions made by management have being poor and in every other county there would be an investigation.Tactically we have being very poor.We have being bet in the last two semi finals but is this is as good as we are at the moment?There is a few lads that we feel should be on the panel or the team but would they win us the all Ireland?Our dreadful underage isn't helping things.Whats really frustrating me is the stubbornness to change things like puckouts against cork when we were ate alive. I'm sure any person doing any kind of stats could see we needed to try something different.we invested in a stats man and like the selectors I don't think they have much a impact.If the selectors are gone who will really want it?

Whats the story with the minor and u20 management's are they staying or going?

We are beating the drum here a long time about the whole thing from the county board down to underage needs to be shaken up but that's not going to happen.What way are the development squads going with the new set up?is the new gym in kierans open yet?

Advertisement