Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year olds able to change gender in Scotland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No one knows, no one assumes, no one forces or pressurises.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Nothing. It's the kids own testimony. All of your scenarios are possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

Exactly.

Gender identity theory reinforces stereotypes about men and women that we were supposed to have sought to abolish years ago.

That's a step backwards, not forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Disingenuous and you know it.

Unless you believe that there are lots of people out there who'll go, "No Timmy, I saw you playing with a Barbie, your name is now Sarah and you must answer to it".

There aren't. This is the same moral panic nonsense that has caused backwards eastern European states to start outlawing lessons that being gay is OK.

Seriously, the whole argument for the last 3 days has boiled down to, "There are kids now who think being trans is trendy and they're all doing it".

Exactly the same argument was used against gay people. The notion that making it OK to be gay, would lead to rush on young people to be gay because it's cool. It's the last gasp of the dinosaur.

Young people are not going to "choose" to change gender, for exactly the same reason that you won't. They don't choose to be gay, for the same reason that you don't choose to be gay. We've been treating gay people - in an educational context at least - as equals for 15-20 years now. And there hasn't been this sudden shift where all young people are now gay because it's cool. It's a moral panic, invented by dinosaurs.

This boils down to, "When a young person expresses a desire to have their self-image respected, you do that".

And yet, it's sad and disturbing that so many adults seem to think that children need to be forced into line, forced to conform, no matter the cost.

How?

And are you saying you're not forcing a child into a gender role - yes or no? One word, again - no rambling monologues.

• Advertisement

Why are you bringing up gay people as if it's a direct comparison?

That is what's disingenuous.

Children have no conception of sexuality at age 4. You also cannot change sexuality at any age.

But the trans identity theory argues that you can change gender at 4-years old.

You cannot objectively change sexuality. You also cannot objectively change sex.

Our position is consistent and clear. Yours is abundantly opaque.

Can anyone provide even a scintilla of objective evidence that gender even exists? Personal experience is not objective. We know that biological sex is objective, but there is not one iota of evidence that gender identity objectively exists. It's a social construction - and social constructions are a matter of opinion. And what's a matter of opinion is a matter of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes on the regressive stereotypes. I thought we were supposed to be moving away from the whole notion of 'roles' anyway. Isn't that what feminism is partly about.

The boys playing with dolls thing as an indicator of anything is beyond silly of course. To a child they are only objects to play with and a learning experience which is what play is partly about.

I often wonder if maybe some parents go OTT on forcing very young children into roles and perhaps some children recognize it instinctively and react against it. I mean especially when a child is very young that is when parents most do the blue is for a boy and pink is for a girl thing. Stuff like decorating a room in pink sparkly wallpaper or whatever. My little princess kinda thing. And then that reaction is misunderstood by both parents and child. 4 is an age you'd think this could begin to happen.

That may be your argument over the last few days. It certainly hasn't been mine.

My argument was, and remains, that boys should not be told that they can be a girl by simply feeling it (and vice versa)

You may call me a dinosaur but if being a dinosaur means that I refuse to believe that you can change from a man to a woman, then I'll gladly "identify" as a tyrannosaurus rex.

There is no similarity to the past treatment of gay people and my assertion that boys are boys, girls are girls. Not sure why you keep trying to muddy the water with that.

And as for choosing your gender? How many genders are there exactly?

It's not about forcing children into line. Its about teaching them the basics of biology and also being a parent. Parents (decent parents anyway) don't always just let children choose for themselves.

I'm not forcing a child into anything. I am telling a child the very very basics of reality. What gender role do you think I am enforcing?

How many genders are there?

And with all due respect, you don't get to dictate how many words are in my response.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Sorry but the last line in your post comes off far more disingenuous than anything else I've seen in this thread. Nobody has been trying to force children into line one way or the other. To try to reduce the side of the argument you disagree with down to that is bad form.

There's nothing wrong with gently encouraging a child to embrace their biological sex. That doesn't mean that you have to force them to conform to gender stereotypes. Keep the dialogue open, if they truly are trans it's not just going to go away.

I would assume anyone would want to be sure that their child is trans before starting them on that difficult journey (emphasis on their).

• Advertisement

Of course they do. Your own example was of someone who you suspected of being trans, but they didn't know themselves.

I know people who were pushed into declaring themselves gay, who were in fact bisexual. They confided their confusion and feelings to others while growing up, and other people (teachers, family, friends) decided, for them what should happen next. They could have continued dating girls until adulthood and then dabbled with men later when they were in a better position to do so (as I did), but others took that decision away from them.. The confidants projected their own biases and interests on to others... because that's what people often do.

The simple point is that the trans topic is a strongly charged one full of controversy, and if you've spent any time at all on threads about it, you'll acknowledge how passionate (and often aggressive) advocates of it are. (yes yes, the opposite is true too).. however, there will be people out there who will pressurise, assume, and force others to declare a change of gender or some other public statement of intent because it fits with the reality they want to see.

That's even more likely the case where the subject is very young, impressionable, etc like that of a 5 year old child.

I do because you need to be kept on point. Case in point: you blatantly lied when you said i was the doing the forcing and now completely ignored the request for proof.

And you are forcing a child who questions to to stick to the traditional gender. It's been the backbone of your stance all along. You even said you'd take a kid out of school to do so!

Case closed , I've proven my point: you are the one doing the forcing and then lying about me doing it.

So in my case, who is forcing and how?

Did you not read the bit where I said all suggested scenarios were possible?

And bear in mind, I'm only talking about the case I presented - I don't know the people in your scenarios, so it's not really fair to expect me to comment.

The formula is simple. Many boys dabble in wearing girls clothes; they may be gay, they may be trans-, they may turn out to be the future World's Strongest Man.

Many teenagers dabble in wearing girls clothes. They may turn out to be straight, too. Maybe they're gay, who knows.

But to allow children, at 4-years old, to assume the certitude of knowing they are trans- is nothing short of an abomination. And parents and teachers who go along with this premature conclusion are actively damaging the child.

Let the child grow up and decide for themselves once maturity (and adolescent hormones) has arrived.

In the meantime, teach children that there are only two sexes. Leave the intellectual baggage of gender identity theory to one side.

Please try to be less condescending. I don't need to be kept on point. If you don't like my responses, please feel free to ignore me.

I didn't "blatantly lie". You wanted me to reduce my responses to a singular word so I humoured you that time. I think I explained the nuance to my response subsequently. Out of the two of us, you would be more likely to be forcing the idea of gender identity onto a child. I would simply be in favour of giving them an age appropriate biology lesson and letting them know it isn't possible for a girl to actually be a boy.

I said that I would take my child out of school if it was accepted by teachers that boys and girls are interchangeable. What's that got to do with forcing anyone to do anything?

Again, I'll ask. How many genders are there?

In a similar vein of 'the exact same thing was said of gay people' it is remarkable how trans advocacy are saying and doing the exact same gay things as well.

On a trivial level they have appropriated the word 'queer' as in queergender. They now 'come out of the closet' and have become more 'glamorous and fabulous' adopting all that colourful stuff when in the 80's 90's that wasn't their look at all, because back then trans women would typically style themselves as conservative women and look something like a female politician or a school headmistress with a bob haircut and a female style suit. So there is certainly a rebranding of the look and feel of the transgender scene that looks remarkably the same as the gay scene. I have no doubt this is intentional and not just current fashion threads.

Less trivially this 'I knew at age 4' thing seems to be popping up all the time now in very much the same way parents of gay children used to say when that issue was discussed more often, that they knew or suspected their child was gay at age 3. I used to hear that all the time. The point was of course made to give weight to the argument that gay people were 'born this way'. Of course it's not exactly the same as trans people are now saying they knew themselves they were trans at 3+1, and 4 has become a trend. I don't think it really works though because the younger one says they feel they are in the wrong body the more likely it is they are wrong, not more likely they are right, imo.

So it would seem trans advocacy use pro gay-like arguments when it suits them so one can't be surprised when they get the same anti gay-like argument's back. But isn't it incredibly convenient to be able to say 'they said that about gays'. Suspiciously convenient. "Gays have got their rights - why don't we have ours', a quote from an interview with a transgender person I saw on the BBC website. It's doesn't make any sense whatsoever to say gays have their rights we should have the same, when the specific rights they are asking for are completely different. It's like saying women have got their abortion rights so we should have our transgender rights.

Now to your comment about influencing people to be transgender, I have observed a marked rise in gay people identifying as trans in recent years. Non-binary usually, on social media and particularly gay dating apps. So I wondered if any straight people are equally coming out as non-binary and found this...

https://www.insider.com/9-celebrities-who-identify-as-gender-non-binary-2019-6

So there you have a list of 14 celebrities who came out as either trans/non-binary/gender-fluid, and after looking at their wiki pages, 13 of them were some variety of homosexual to begin with, most infamously Sam Smith and Ellen Paige.

My point is that there absolutely is a trend of gay people being influenced to come out as some variety of trans where they wouldn't have dreamt of it otherwise. I am certain about this. And again isn't it so convenient that there you have a trend that further weaves together the gay and trans scenes.

I'm not creating a moral panic, I'm simply reporting what I see and I intend to report what I see to as many people as I can if ever the subject comes up in conversation, and here of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@Anne_Widdecombe wrote:

And parents and teachers who go along with this premature conclusion are actively damaging the child.

How so?

@AllForIt wrote:

My point is that there absolutely is a trend of gay people being influenced to come out as some variety of trans where they wouldn't have dreamt of it otherwise. I am certain about this.

Must be nice to be so certain about things that don't affect you even in the slightest.

On the other hand, selection bias is a thing that says your certainty is wishful thinking.

Don't forget that the existence of trans- also has an effect to turn gay people into straight people.

For instance: if you're an otherwise gay man and transition to become a woman, it now means (they argue) that the gay man is actually a straight woman.

This is almost like conversion therapy.

In your example, nothing had gone beyond your suspicion that someone was trans.. or am I missing something?

Now, if you acted on your suspicion, then, yes, I'd say that you would be forcing your own biases about being trans on to another person (since the person themselves wasn't aware).

I've read everything you've written on the matter... but that doesn't mean that I fully understand what you're thinking vs what I've read here. I suspect that there's a bit of a gap going on there.

I don't know the people in anyone's scenario, nor has that been the case with most scenarios presented on this thread.. but we still comment on them based on our own opinions and biases... I assumed that was a given, that we all understood and appreciated without it needing to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Not sure how much you care about LGBT people if you're picking noted raging homophobe Anne Widdecombe as your boards persona.

• Advertisement

Seamus, how do you know that these things don't affect AllForIt in the slightest?

Yes it does throw up all kind of ludicrous stuff doesn't it.

Speaking of ludicrous - reminds me of this story and not surprisingly the BBC thought to do a report on it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-53936529

So this trans man Chiyo is competing in Mr Gay UK, a beauty pageant for gay men. Chiyo's angle is that he's "breaking down the barrier's" of what's considered to be male beauty, specifically in the gay mens world.

After all the campaigning for gay rights which is *100% about men finding men's bodies sexually attractive, someone from the trans community suggests this is all wrong, attitudes must be changed. That a gay man would be so narrow minded as to be only attracted to typical male form is now a backward attitude. Have you ever heard anything as ludicrous as that and doubly so that it's only in relatively recently times that men being sexually attracted to men has become socially accepted. On the ludicrous richter scale that one would be hard to surpass.

*same for women of course

Dangerously close to straying of topic here guys.

It's about children being able to determine their "gender identity" and for schools to have to accept it and go along with it.

Let's not lose sight of the issue at hand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Some children are aware that their gender, or how their gender feels to them, is not in alignment with what they expect or is expected of them.

This has always been the case.

What is your proposal in this situation?

@[Deleted User]

"as men" ..+. "because it's tough to do for any kind of extended period, unless you're living in a bubble."

And is this really the status quo that we should be protecting?

It doesn't seem like it to me.

Again tho, what is your proposal for those who do understand their gender to be different?

Just keep moving to different areas that don't have trans people or something?

Regardless if how small a number of trans people you think there are, they do exist, but you don't want anyone to even learn about them.

I didn't much care for advanced mathematics at school, but I couldn't just magic it away.

Explain what you mean by what is expected of them?

Can anyone answer me as to how many genders there are?

I don't want to learn about them?

What's that supposed to mean?

Let's keep it simple and stick with binary gender definitions. That way it's not too complex and you don't have to avoid the question.

A trans kid who has an issue with their gender. Kid was born "a girl" (assigned female at birth some would say, but I know you don't like that statement")

Kid knows how they feel inside, and is sure they are a boy.

What is your proposal? Simple question.

• Advertisement

Advertisement