Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

What the point of getting tested anymore? Covid is endemic now. Are you getting tested every time to find out what type of flu you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'm beginning to think along these lines. I'd only do it if I was in contact with someone vulnerable or if required for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭_ptashek_

@convolved wrote:

I'm hearing some people saying they’ve been asked for information at Irish airports, and others saying they walked through without anyone checking anything. That’s not the case going into France or Spain for example, documents are being checked consistently.

I've flown Poland <-> Ireland recently. Despite being officially required under threat of large fines or even jail time, border control on ether side never asked for any documentation, both going in and out. Landing in Dublin I've passed via the automatic gates, and Polish border guards literally told me to "bin it all" when asked if they need to see the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

There seems to be a lot of that. Systems seem to often be purely theoretical, which is why I think those international comparisons about harshness of restrictions and so on are utter nonsense, as they don’t actually look at reality on the ground. Plenty of places either have limited enforcement and monitoring of systems or have very poor compliance.

Then we also have stats that aren’t comparing like with like on a range of issues around testing and cases. Some countries are patting themselves on the back with little justification for why that would be the case, others are wearing sack cloth and ashes and self flagellating and claiming to be the worst in the world (a popular Irish pass time).

I’m still not seeing where patterns of behaviour here are leading to high case numbers. There appears to be a lot of very risk averse behaviour, yet the cases are still going up and are high. The self dialogue here is always “we are morons”, Ireland isn’t very high on the self confidence scale, so we aren’t doing proper public debate about why the figures are high, we are going into woe is me and extreme self criticism mode instead.

We need to analyse what’s actually happening because we need to get to the bottom of why it’s happening.

I also think we are increasingly not looking at the elephant in the room, which is exposure to the U.K. and U.K. figures are no longer appearing in European stats, which makes us look like we are the anomaly.

Ireland, Spain, Portugal and to a large degree France, are highly exposed to what happens in the U.K. because of travel patterns and what is going on there is very much “you’re all vaccinated now. So get on with it. The government is bored of covid.”

I really don’t trust the Tories response in England as, like the USA, it’s all about populist politics and a political philosophy that I really don’t think has been seen in the U.K. in modern times. It’s very much a mini-GOP.

The U.K. is also trying to bury Brexit impacts and has complicated supply chain issues it doesn’t want to admit to. So it’s by far and away the oddest part of Europe when it comes to getting a clear view of what’s happening on COVID as it’s all in a rather unprecedented mess, even without the pandemic and you’ve had open hostility towards any kind of serious cooperative action with the European Union, even on Covid-19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm not sure how you're reading it.

It's a chart to highlight that Covid peaks at different times in different countries. People don't seem to understand why country X is peaking now but country Y has little cases. But it wouldn't be the first time when something is explained to you, you just miss it entirely.

Same as that, family and I have flown out of Ireland and onwards from Denmark, and at no stage did we need to actually produce negative pcr tests. Just verbal confirmations

Your not reading it either buddy

There are no waves, it's an ocean.

We peaked 3 times and going for a 4th, they peaked twice, 3rd barely started in Poland Ukraine

Look at Oct/Nov on our chart, we should have peaked then only for lockdown to stop it until we opened again in Dec to peak then

Do you know what restrictions they brought into those countries and the dates?

The waves are a result of restrictions, they are not natural infection waves, artificial one's caused by us interfering with lockdown measures

If you have no restrictions it's not a wave, just an ocean like you see in Brazil where they live with and it's constantly high.

Only rich countries get waves :)

We will have restrictions to stop our 4th wave and then it will peak again later.

I wouldn’t be into much of the whole Covid theatre measures, but our school hasn’t received our CO2 monitors either. Knowing the DoE, it’ll be Xmas when we get them.

Thankfully we’ve an ancient school building, which even though lacking in a lot, it doesn’t lack ventilation..

• Advertisement

And also Irish people might use butter or maybe even margarine to fake antigen tests, sure we couldnt be having that.

No better to spend millions on PCR tests even though covid is now rampant in the population, surely we can ditch this testing now, its a waste of money now.

Delta is so transmissable by the time you do a test you have infected everyone you have come in contact with.🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I heard someone talking on the radio about buildings that were built during the TB infections and that those buildings were built with TB in mind so they had high ceilings, plenty of ventilation and lots of windows that could be opened and that this should what is thought of now when designing buildings. Maybe we shouldn't be too quick to get rid of those darfty old schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

I was in the barbers recently and saw they were wiping everything down in between customers, nice to see the place being kept so clean but a waste of time when dealing with an airborne virus.

I disagree. Covid isn't going anywhere. We have to live with it and not 2 meters apart and masked for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Similar number of tests today as last Monday, 200 less positive cases. Very weird to say it, but 1,368 positive swabs today is the lowest swab count since 4th August.

There were some faint signs last week that cases might be starting to drop back down again ever so slowly. Be interesting to see how this week goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

The penny hasn't dropped with a lot of people yet that it is airborne and that is the main means of spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

1368 positive swabs, 9.75% positivity on 14,034 tests. 7 day test positivity is 9.3%. - Monday, August 30th 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

According to the CDC there's 1 in 30,000 risk of surface transmission, and yet like most behaviours with no scientific basis, we persist with endless sanitising of hands and surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

When today's numbers will be included, that will most likely the first time in a while that the 5day/7day and 14days average will be decreasing.

Yesterday, the 5days average was decreasing, 7days increasing by 0.1% and 14days incidence rate increasing by 0.3%

It will be interesting to see when the leaders will stop using the rhetoric that the case numbers are increasing, when the last 14days are stable compared to the 14days before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Went for my first Covid test today with my little fella. We were staying with family in the UK for the past week, and developed coughs last Wednesday. We could have got tested in the UK but as we were staying with family there was no way we could have effectively isolated with them - plus spending an extra two weeks there would have vastly increased the chances that we would have infected them. So we took the executive decision to travel home yesterday (the day we had planned to travel) and get tested here instead.

I probably wouldn't have bothered going for a test myself if it wasn't for the fact that I was bringing my son, given I'm fully vaccinated. And really the only reason I was bringing him for a test is that his creche won't take him with a cough and without a negative test, which is understandable. I tell you what though, I won't be rushing back to be tested. The nasal swab was really horrible, painful too. Give me a needle injection any day over the that. I'll have to have more than just a mild cough in order to get me anywhere back near that nasal swab.

What I can't understand is how they manage to get any viral material from the tiny swab they do of kids noses compared to the finger length swab they put up an adult's nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Matt Cooper in full scare mongering mode now about new variants and the vaccines not working against them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Luke O'Neill thinks primary pupils should be expected to wear masks because of the risk of them passing the virus on to parents and grandparents.

But most adults are fully vaccinated and so pupils are unlikely to be infected this time around. Therefore, what O'Neill said doesn't make sense. He and other scientists haven't explained the rationale for masks at a stage when most adults are fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

So, no ban on intercounty travel yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

At this point, it seems that all that can be done has been done. What else is there now other than to get on with life, using sensible precautions, but opening up.

With all this talk of boosters later this year - I have a US based mate that has had 3 shots of Pfizer in first half of this year, and still got a bad dose (though not in hospital) of covid last month, which had him bed ridden for a few days. He said if that was what he got after 3 shots, he wouldn't have liked to see what would have happened if he hadn't been vaccinated. That said, it's a bit demoralising to hear people getting a bad dose after 3 shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's nothing more than COVID theater to make O'Neill and his cohort feel a bit "safer". It certainly has no basis in science or reality.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

O'Neill has made some name for himself out of this.....flip flopping all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As noted earlier low swabs so 1,293 new cases, 382 in hospital and 61 in ICU.

• Advertisement

Well on the plus side the influenza virus is nearly extinct in these parts, as the hand hygiene and surface contact measures have likely had a huge impact on it, but they’re having far less effect on SARS-Cov-2 which is spreading like passive smoke.

We are kidding ourselves if we don’t do something more serious about indoor air quality and where masks are needed, they should really be FFP2 grade filters. Otherwise, we’re doing a great job for minimising more traditional droplet transmission, and very little for suspended submicroscopic particles.

For some reason, anyone who brings this up is ignored, as there’s a collective vested interest to want think this can be tackled with floor mops, Jayes fluid and Dettol approaches.

The idea that it’s a somewhat intangible cloud of viral nanoparticles moving around like perfume though the air isn’t what anyone wants to hear, so they don’t listen.

If we use the right tools, we can remain safely open and normal life returns. If we use group think and Boris / Trump style waffle approaches, we are going to be dealing with this for much longer than we should.

The vaccine rollout has been phenomenally good and continues to be he world leading, but COVID isn’t going to disappear. We have to adapt our buildings and indoor environments to make us safe and let us be able to relax and forget about it. That likely means things like HEPA filters and air sterilisers becoming as normal as radiators and CO2 monitors / air quality indicators being as normal as thermostats on the wall.

It’ll mean things like retrofitting of heat recovery ventilation in public buildings with large congregations too and just ensuring lots of air changes.

It also means everyone being aware of what good ventilation is and how to manage it and identify problems.

If we do that, combined with vaccines, we are basically home and dry.

The alternative is hide behind Perspex screens and pointlessly disinfect clean surfaces and have unnecessary lockdowns to deal with something we could be filtering and diluting out of the air.

We can’t really continue to crisis manage what is now a long term reality. We need to adapt and do so in a way that has minimal or zero impact on quality of life and functioning of society.

This is reality now and we need to adapt and just make it work. There’s no point in either burying heads in sand or being depressed about it. Life is what you make of it and it can be just as good with a few tweaks to make indoors a lot safer.

Advertisement