Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Garda insurance fraud unit

• 30-08-2021 8:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭

To be launched next month.

Main points:

• The new Insurance Fraud Office will come under the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau.
    • People who lie under oath or on sworn affidavits can be prosecuted.
    • Ditto for legal or medical professions who have assisted.
    • Fraudulent claims can be reported by policyholder directly to the Gardaí independently of the insurance company.
    • Penalty up to 10 years in prison and €100,000 fine.

Great news and about bloody time

Comments

A few questions come to mind:

will the penalties and this initiative scare off all but the most determined serial fraudsters or indeed most fraudsters? I would hope so.

will the Gardai pursue all claims of fraud and commit to a prosecution - we’ll see but I can see them swamped for the first few years

will our insurance premiums fall as a result? What planet are you living on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A false dawn if you ask me.

People who lie under oath or on sworn affidavits can be prosecuted.

If someone claims that he has a sore neck after a rear-ender, how do you prove that he's lying? The law with regard to perjury hasn't changed, so whats new?

Ditto for legal or medical professions who have assisted.

Unless the injuries involve broken bone(s) and/or cuts and bruises, in the majority of PI cases, the 'medical report' is simply an account of what the claimant told his GP or consultant. Most claims for soft tissue injuries (e.g. whiplash) involve no clinical backup i.e. the only medical 'evidence' is the plaintiff's story. So the doctors who get business from ambulance chasers are off the hook, it's completly risk-free and is money for jam.

From the Indo article:

The creation of the new unit is expected to be a massive deterrent to anyone considering making a fictitious or exaggerated claim.

Rubbish. This is an industry that is not going to pull down the shutters any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Tend to agree, have to laugh at any deterent mentioned in the same sentence as the insurance industry. Making an official complaint is one thing, the burden of proof another.

More nonsense I'm afraid added to the nonsense about premiums coming down.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Tbh, I think this is great news in the sense that the insurance industry have shot themselves in the foot in a big way on this.

They have been continually shifting the goalposts around to justify the extraordinarily high premiums they are charging to cover their own poor business planning. Pointing the fingers at lawyers and fraudulent claims as if that was the reason for it.

Now because they've been probably a little bit more successful than they anticipated in terms of lobbying, the State has introduced massive reforms to mitigate the false "concerns" the insurance industry have been blaming for high premiums.

They have put themselves under massive pressure now to either reduce premiums in a meaningful way or admit the true reasons for high premiums is to make up for losses they generated themselves. I don't expect them to do either of these things btw, I think they will keep banging the same drum until no one listens to them any more because they cried wolf a few too many times.

Advertisement