Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have 5 invites to the beta which cannot be named. If you fancy a go, pm me your Ubisoft username.

If ye do want an invite, ye'll have to sign an NDA that includes agreeing to close the curtains if you play in a room with windows 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So expect loads of streams and reviews?

With the news of the Saints Row reboot, i decided to spin up SR 2 again as it's on PS Now. Damn it looks old as **** and only spent a few minutes but looking forward to giving it a proper go. I loved that game but interested to see if I had rise tinted glasses on. They nailed the street gang perspective, customising your HQ, gear and cars. Never liked it going all superhero.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

People Make Games have a really interesting documentary about Roblox. Now, I wonder how man - like me - had no idea what that was at first. It was a name I'd heard maybe once or twice, but knowing nothing of the actual game itself.

Turns out the company is valued more than EA and Ubisoft, has a staggering user base and a number of "games" that easily eclipses Steam. What the subject of the doc. touched on though was its (downright shady IMO) practises regards rewarding the predominantly underage developers that build for this platform. Specifically, the system using a form of Scrip, the devs. paid in funny money while hitting punitive exchange rates if they wish to convert it all to real dollars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Roblox is secretly the biggest game in the world but doesn't get clicks so barely gets covered by the press. It's a behemoth that eclipses Fortnite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Really? I gotta add that to the watchlist and watch it later after work.

Nice find pixelburp 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Very sad indeed, I met Mark a bunch of times as we used to attend a lot of the same events. He was a lovely guy. Sometimes life is just awfully cruel.

Will be interesting to see if this 'leak' holds up, should know more on Wednesday. I tried Saints Row 2 on PSnow last night, fun but unplayable, it's so old, ugly and laggy (psnow problem).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They're a really good channel, very human scale in a manner many games YT channels are not. They have started leaning more into investigative articles such as this one of late, their earlier work more cute stories and segues. Definitely a channel deserving of larger subscriber numbers than they have IMO, and I really like the presenters' manner and tone.

Yeah, so say the numbers in the video all right; this astonishes me. Genuinely. I presume it's 'cos its "player" base is so young on average, while the company has kept its nose clean of the kind of controversy born from companies less valuable than Roblox but with larger media profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I especially like the look of the Laser-out-of-Your-Arse mode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good, thoroughly researched video about video game grading and those eye-popping, overinflated record sales we’ve seen headlines about recently. Red flags abound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

That is a brilliant video. It's a real eye-opener.

Finally, an ethics in gaming I can get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Yeah, I enjoyed that video too! Some shower of pricks 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

“If I lose 15 grand on you, it’s not the end of the world.”

Literally what Naierman quoted about his own investors. Just shows the level of capitalism involved there, and the worst thing is, those investors weren’t even wealthy compared to the guys who created this bubble.

By the way, I have a sealed copy of Arkham Knight gathering dust if anyone wants to pay off my Credit Union loan. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

My sealed copy of the collectors edition of Dark Souls on PS3 is getting to set me up with hookers and blow for a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

My complete, in bits, copy of Turtles: Hyperstone Heist for the Sega is my nest egg! 😂

Tried Xcom EU on PS Now. Between the age of it, how awful PS3 games look on PS Now (I've tried a few and they're all fuzzy) and the lag on PS Now (the stuttering while just moving my marker around is driving me mad) makes it a non starter for me.

I am quite enjoying Wasteland 3 though, finding it a nice mix of Xcom combat and oldschool RPG.

Man, PS Now is an absolute load of shyte.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finished the first two chapters of Fuga: Melodies of Steel and quite impressed so far.

It's fairly low budget but Cyberconnect2 have done a lot with the small budget. What's there looks gorgeous artistically and the soundtrack is incredible. 30 FPS lock on PC can **** right off though although it's not a massive deal in a game of it's kind.

It's really got a great saturday morning cartoon feel with just the right amount of darkness. Really enjoying the battle system too, It's got a bit of persona there where you have to choose attacks wisely to delay enemy actions. Weaker weapons serve a purpose as well as despite being weak they are the only way to reduce enemy armour, inflict status effects and have high accuracy. You really have to plan as well since damage and SP (basically MP) carry through the dungeon with only limited ways to heal.

Again it's a shame Cyberconnect2 had to self publish this passion project and the press have mostly completely ignored it while still covering Activision-Blizzard games.

Just finished the Mass Effect Legendary trilogy and jumped right into (patched) Andromeda.

You know what? It is no where near worth the hate it gets. It's very very enjoyable

• Advertisement

Oh don't worry. It's the most boring and long winded quest line ever is coming up.

So, Splitgate is absolutely great craic. No one seems to use portals though, the guns are just really well balanced. Just old school arena shooter which i was never really into but this is fair addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It looks great, but I thought the portals were the whole "thing" about it.

Finished Chapter 3 of Fuga: Melodies of Steel. The game has decided to stop teaching you things and thrown me into the deep end now. As a result it's gone from interesting to fantastic.

I think the best thing about this game is how economical you have to be with your choices. The intermission segments between fights feel like persona where you have to balance healing of your crew with upgrading and upkeep of the tank, the mood of your crew and setting up affinity links between crew members so they work better together. You only have a certain amount of actions each intermission so you can't do everything.

The battle sections are the same. You are on a linear path but having to choose between routes is a big deal since each chapter is basically a mini rogue-lite. Routes with tougher battles give bigger rewards that can be used to upgrade the tank but if you do too many or getting in a tough fight then you run the risk of limping into the fight with the chapter boss.

The battle system as well takes a lot from persona. You'll have to balance damage output against using attacks to delay enemies or take down their armour so you can damage them properly. Status effects are also very effective. The boss of this chapter was a pretty big jump in difficulty and really satisfying to figure out.

Story is a little bit light at the moment but I actually prefer that it manages to say everything efficiently rather than beating you over the head with how grave the situation is. It's got quite a dark mood and themes despite how it looks.

It seems to be a real overlooked gem of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Been playing it a week or so. I did notice that at the start not a lot of people were really using the portals but starting to see some players use them very creatively now (and that's just in casual mode, not ranked).

It's very enjoyable in general though. The portals are a great addition without overly dominating the game, makes you feel like a sniper genius when you pitch a portal in just the right spot and get a string of kills through it. And vice-versa, feels great to spot someone else's portal, take a shot through it and get a kill.

It's real strength probably is just that everyone has the same loadout, access to the same guns and there's no different abilities or characters. Nice pace to it as well. Not super twitchy, but still rewarding of quick reflexes and thinking.

China cuts children's online gaming to one hour

Applies to under 18's and only allowed on weekend days and holidays

It also instructed gaming companies to prevent children playing outside these times.

Earlier this month a state media outlet branded online games "spiritual opium".

The move reflects a long running concern about the impact of excessive gaming on the young.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58384457

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sucks for them, but China cutting off part of their market is better for everyone else. Same for the fact that Hollywood is getting cut out from the Chinese market.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Could it not go the way of some industries where they rapidly try to pivot so they don’t lose the entire Chinese market, one of the most lucrative in the world?

For example, could it lead to some companies who thrive on online gaming to pump more money into high quality single-player content instead? That’d be a huge win for gaming if it weren’t for the strict Chinese censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

As I enter early middle age, I find myself increasingly nostalgiac and drawn to 1990s games. I still have an Xbox360, with some conversions of the old Street Fighter 2 on it, and the space shooter R Type 1/2, with a lovely option to switch between the old sprites and modern 3D graphics. My favourite game on it would be Crazy Taxi. But I have also gone back further, becoming interested again in old 16 bit games I never got around to playing in the 1990s, such as Subterrainia on the Megadrive. I would like to play that. Saw a video of it on youtube recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Doubt it'll be limited to online gaming in the long run, their issue is games in general. F2P games make up the majority there, and it might be an aspect that micro transaction are a large part of those but this isn't the first time they done this and it's on top of multiple other restriction and time limits which weren't limited to online games.

If you were right and it really was just online games they'd an issue with then we'd be getting more single player games but they'd still be loaded with micro transaction.

Advertisement