Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah, and did Hillary Clinton not concede the election? Did she send a gaggle of her rabid supporters down to the Capitol building? Yes she did concede, to the first question, and no to the second. Trump got to serve his full term of office.

Trump, meanwhile...

Exhibit A in the case that Trump is a nasty piece of work - Said if he lost the election, it was 'cause it was rigged. Then he goes on Twitter after he loses the election to type, "I WON BY A LOT", which is something I expect the runner up candidate in a primary school class captain election to scream defiantly before running out of the room in tears. Never conceded the election. Promoted the baseless conspiracy theory that the election was fraudulent. Made a speech to his angry supporters on the day the election was to be rubber-stamped, continuing to promote the conspiracy theory. Did not attend the inauguration of Joe Biden.

A completely odious and petulant little man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

He was also democratically defeated. His behaviour since losing the election has been nothing short of a total disgrace and a disgusting attack on democracy. That's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Can't participate in a pistol duel, because of bone spurs...

His behaviour before losing the election was disgusting as well. What sitting president has ever gone to the podium at a rally and said these words at 18 seconds in?

So, here you have a sitting president directly attempting to undermine the idea of a free and fair election. No spin. No out of context. No opportunistic editing by CNN or MSNBC. Trump's friend, pastor Darrell Scott has said that Trump said to him that he can stand to lose, but not to be cheated. However, every time Trump loses, he claims it's cause he was cheated. So, this theory that he can stand to lose has never actually been tested. Crazy one, here, I know, but something tells me he actually cannot tolerate losing whether fairly or unfairly, so he just cries foul whenever it happens. He's probably used to getting away with doing that in business where it's all just a game at the end of the day, but when you're the president of the USA, it comes off as tin pot dictator rhetoric, and highly volatile as it inflames the passions of your supporters. Trump has continued to claim that he was cheated even after no credible evidence has surfaced to back up his claims, which takes him out beyond the attempts to equivocate by citing accusations of Russian interference in the 2016 election.

He continues with that sort of rhetoric because a) he's suffering from a bad case of narcissistic personality disorder and b) he knows that his support base is dopey enough to believe it. He's like the ultimate used car salesman. His disregard for the rule of law is quite remarkable to watch and if he's not charged with a crime in the next year or two, its a serious failing on behalf of the US DOJ.

• Advertisement

I think to say his support being dopey might be a bit of an oversimplification. Yeah, you might have some stereotypical rednecks wearing MAGA hats, but the interesting thing about Trump's support is the amount of middle-class people with some degree of education spouting the same fanatical devotion, even some who had been apolitical before or swing voters. I think it's that Trump has tapped into something very well, i.e. the dark side of American culture with the entitlement, the exceptionalism, the selfishness and the paranoia and put together a message which appeals to that in a very blunt and direct way, and people have willingly discarded the sense they may have had and jumped on board with both feet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd agree with this - Covid has also exposed the lack of "community" in the US along with that exceptionalism and selfishness - "Why should I wear a mask to protect other people , if they're worried they can wear a mask or stay at home!" and so on.

Among a very large cohort of American people there is a complete antipathy to doing anything for the "common good" and each and every decision or choice is entirely framed by "what's in it for me?" - Without question Trump has tapped into that core belief and given voice to the "I've got mine so I don't care" people of which there are a truly surprising number.

Hard to disagree with any of that! Whatever you say about him, he's an absolute master of manipulation and of social media. He's found a way to grasp onto people's fears and prejudices like nobody else has in the past 40-50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I never said that. The audit will determine it.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Felt threatened? He was being beaten to a pulp by Martin.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

Just so you know Zimmerman “specifically told NOT to by the police dispatcher” as you say is untrue. He was only old "We don't need you to do that." by the police dispatcher. When one starts telling untruths it makes the rest of the comment suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Listen to the recording and the tone of voice of the dispatcher. She is clearly telling Zimmerman not to chase after Martin. Yes, the words she uses are "Sir, we don't need you to do that" but at the very least, he is being strongly advised not to do what he did. And a kid got killed as a result.

This reference to a now decade-old case was sparked by your indignant reaction to my claim that American law, in many states, effectively allows a gun holder to shoot somebody dead if they feel threatened. This case is as clear an example of that claim as I know and is a widely documented case that anybody can research from first principles.

What is utterly appalling to me is the number of Americans who seek to justify the killing of this unarmed young man (who would have been too young to carry a gun legally himself) by a paranoid self-important buffoon who was empowered with life-threatening equipment way beyond his competence to handle. The cavalier dismissal of any responsibility on Zimmerman's part to behave in a manner befitting someone who is carrying a lethal weapon is a disgrace to American society.

It is no wonder that an organization as militant and determined, and widely supported, as Black Lives Matter has emerged in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This post isn’t directly about the former president, it’s about freshman congressman Madison Cawthorn who once again doesn’t engage his brain before talking. He said over the weekend that the only solution to the alleged rigging of elections is bloodshed and also when asked by a constituent, what he was doing to get them to return to Washington DC, he said they are actively working on something. The guy is 25 years old and has all the signs of it mixed with a belief he can do no wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

to clarify, he wasn’t being “beaten to a pulp”, he had minor injuries. He chased a child and confronted him. There was a physical altercation and the child was killed.

Martin was unarmed. You think shooting an unarmed child is ok?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

So where is this Forensic Audit revelations we were meant to get about 10 days ago. Funny feeling this is turning into the Trump healthcare plan.

Waiting to see if they find bamboo in the ballots and claim concrete proof that the Chinese rigged the election with baited breath, I have to say.

If they had chicken and mushroom Pot Noodles in the states, all hell would break loose if one of those Cyber Ninjas accidentally, or not so accidentally, squirted a bit of soy sauce on one of the ballots during a lunch break.

The whole thing about bamboo in the ballots is nakedly racist. If they thought the Dutch were behind the alleged fraud, they'd be looking for traces of a tulip-based dye or hemp strands. It's really a case of, "What do our supporters know about this country and how can we work that in?" It's also another case of Trump's support being impervious to satire because they're already more ridiculous than any satire could ever be. Christopher Guest could have done a great comedy on the whole thing, but the press conference outside Four Seasons Total Landscaping and checking for bamboo fibres makes any such film unnecessary.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They won't release it as no matter how they spin it it will still show absolutely nothing of value.

There's far greater value in them continuing to claim that there's something to see in the audit rather than having to actually show that there isn't.

It's all about the spin to provide the requisite cover for the Sate level GOP reps to implement as many voter suppression laws as possible.

Once they reckon they've got all those laws locked in , all the talk of Fraud and audits will suddenly fade away as it will have done it job.

• Advertisement

The comments from McCarthy are quite funny really given that the legislation that would allow this to happen is GOP legislation as part of the Patriot act.

No one would be in violation of anything , other than of course McCarthy who has just provided written evidence of his attempts to obstruct justice..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Looks like they judged her not on the colour of her skin, but by the content of her character😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Oul Donny Jnr showing us that big brain.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Extra tasty that the plaintiff, was a GOP toady whose coal mine blew up. Love them examples of rats in a bucket eating each other.

Go, lawsuit, go.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,010 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Conservatives accidentally championing cancel culture again.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Detritus70

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

Here's how this works,

Vote is done. Recounts are done. Ballots are checked. Vote is certified by election officials. Challenges in court can produce no tangible case.

Trumpists: I smell a rat. The vote was obviously rigged.

Raving derelict who lives in a rusty shack on the edge of town who claims to have incredible psychic powers says he touched one of the ballots and had a flashback to a former life as a farmer in the Ming Dynasty.

Trumpists: Food for thought.

Their starting point is that the vote was rigged. They will accept any level of evidence from any source which tallies with this assumption. It doesn't matter the bias of the source or the methods of the source. They will be sceptical of anything which says Biden won, but will accept without question anything which says he did not. Starting out with a theory and only accepting evidence which supports it is a fundamentally unsound method of investigation. Confirmation bias, they call it. It's all grand fun and games when it's opining on some political matter, but it's not an investigative method you'd want to find yourself subjected to if you were a defendant in court. You'd get done every time. I'm sure those who are in the dock for their participation in 6/1 will want every piece of evidence looked at and not just that which makes them look bad, though I still think they'd get done because the evidence that makes them look bad is overwhelming. But the point is they'll go from jabbering conspiracy theorists to champions of rationalism when it comes to getting due process for themselves and saving their own skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

They do love their anti-democratic activities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is that the lad with no chin(well it looks like that anyway) and he had a child with another member of the campaign ? If it is who I’m thinking about then not that surprised. And in Brazil no less where you’d expect him to be on friendly given their president is the trump of South America.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement