Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Funny for all the bad press the US and Western Europe get. I don't see anyone here voting with their feet and moving elsewhere. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Let's get back to discussing Afghanistan please, you can discuss the various aspects of WW2 in the military forum. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

"Nine members of one family were killed in a US drone strike targeting a vehicle in a residential neighborhood of Kabul....Those killed included six children, the youngest being a 2-year-old girl".

The swamp keeps on growing. When will they ever learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But last week we had people saying the US should be using drone strikes to take out ISIS/Taliban troops. Collateral damage didn't seem to matter then but now its a talking point.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no matter what Biden does he will be wrong in the eyes of some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Do you take out the vehicle if it’s rigged with explosives now endangering the family of the militant or let them kill over a hundred in a suicide bombing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I read an interesting interview with an Afghan translator who has been on the ground there working since 9/11.

He said that there was a time around 2003/4 that the Taliban were demoralised and defeated and retreated to the mountains. He felt strongly that that was the point where some dialogue around a peace deal would have been possible and was sought out by the Taliban but the Americans appeared only interested in revenge and continued bombings and drone strikes on controversial targets.

It was after this point that any chance of building on support from the Afghani people was irrevocably lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

He described situations where there were land disputes or tribal disputes and people would falsely inform on neighbours so the Americans would carry out a drone strikes to their benefit. So in effect they were by proxy settling disputes and old scores due to being duped by unscrupulous locals. Of course they didn't put much effort in to verifying informant information.

One can only imagine the deep seeded hate this has sowed for future generations against the west and the US.

I think the Americans have only wrought revenge and destruction in Afghanistan and never had any notions of rooting out dissidents. The damage they have done here will have an impact for years and will lead to terrorist attacks which Europe will bare the brunt of.

Desperately sad and frustrating to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

This sh*tshow goes from bad to worse. Now they appeared to have killed an innocent family with a drone strike while claiming it was a suicide bomber on the way to Kabul airport.

US "Intelligence" strikes again.

I think it was lot less complicated than that after the initial US involvement, and being busy elsewhere, they scaled back, which let the taliban regroup and come back, which why Obama surged more troops back there with a peak in 2011.

The local population always knew eventually the US and Allies would leave. They would be left to deal with the Taliban.

One of the most surreal videos I have seen yet about what the new Afghanistan will look like. And we all think our jobs are high pressure!

• Advertisement

Maybe, although I'll hold out some suspicion that the Taliban or some other group is using this as a propaganda piece, and the actual facts different from what was reported.

I don't have a lot of faith in US intelligence, and fully believe that they would kill an entire family if they felt they were right to do so... however, I also know that any Islamic group would do the same if it meant increasing the hate towards the US, and increasing their own support.

Frankly, we're all far too removed to know what's really going on..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Hasnt "collateral damage" been a talking point for many years, since the beginning of the war, in fact? One of the first big stories I recall was the pentagon trailing a convoy supposedly carrying Al Zawahiri and the heated debate that ensued whether or not to zap the mosque into which the convoy had alighted. The hawks were frustrated on that occasion, whatever his other many crimes GWB didn't seem entirely sold on zapping large numbers of innocent human beings to take out one suspect. (From what i recall the conclusion was that Zawahiri was not even among the convoy, there was no absolute clarity).

The point is, though, a military strategy based on minimising your own casualties while inflicting greater casualties on the civilian population - and rationalizing it as "collateral damage" - is as doomed as pouring in huge numbers of troops and facing the wrath of people back home, as in the 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Afghanistan version of Question Time!

"You sir, top row, with the AK47, what would you like to ask?"

Suicide bombers are not exactly precision weapons.

That said most precision weapons are not that precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There was an AFB photo posted online showing the car they blew up with the rocket launchers inside it.

Many more lives saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Apparently it was a vehicle loaded with rockets and other explosives, which increased the power of the blast, and it was this which killed the Family.For sure, whoever sent the vehicle on it's mission did not give a damn about "collateral damage", and if it had not been destroyed, what would the death toll have been??? Including innocent family members, men women and children.For the last two years , Kabul ( and other Afghan cities) have been victims of ruthless bombing campaigns, targetting and hitting the most vulnerable of targets,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I suppose the US is rightly held to a higher standard here...

Just had a thought. Turkey has had these drone weapons as well for a few years and has become quite the drone "power". From what I've (edit) read the Turkish govt. uses them as the US has done (to kill their own versions of "terrorists") but perhaps with less restraint. I rarely see a reference to their actions in the media (which can also involve "collatoral damage") & the government certainly don't apologise and the Turks don't seem too worried about it either. In fact they are impressed (according to below article).

The drones have provoked little controversy at home. They “are seen as a source of national pride and an unmistakable symbol that Turkey is able to take care of its own,” said Ahmet Kasim Han, a professor of international relations at Altinbas University in Istanbul. “I would say that is the extent of the public debate.”

I'm not sure whether that indicates a failing by the US in setting ground rules for the use of these remote and possibly soon to be fully autonomous weapons (since they developed and deployed them first). IMO it's more likely expecting states to avoid civilian deaths when they use drones and the like to kill their enemies is totally unrealistic. We all know how the countries of the world have used "dumb" bombs dropped from aircraft since WW2 that are even more likely than drone strikes to result in civilian deaths. 

Post edited by fly_agaric on

Precision guided weapons are precise, very precise in fact. If they want to put one down the chimney of your house, they can and have done it many times. Suicide bombers either solo or vehicle borne on the other hand depend on massive destruction over a wide area, the wider the better. I'm pretty sure that they hit that vehicle dead centre, exactly where they wanted, and if it had not contained weapons / explosives, the death toll would have been much less. Had they not taken action on it, and it had reached its planned target area, the death toll would have been horrendous.I blame the people who sent that vehicle 100% for these innocents being killed,and no one else.

But but but,,,can you not see that they are protecting him????🙄

• Advertisement

Population increase from 8 million to 40 million since 1950 and a birth rate still around 5 children per women. No real chance of change or successfully turning it around, throw in outside interventions from all sides and regressive religious dogma.

A basket case for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The war is officially over.

Last plane left.

Right or wrong, it’s the end of a 20 year war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Another humiliation for the US...

Mission Failed...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

"The last manned aircraft is now clearing the airspace, leaving Afghanistan," Gen Frank McKenzie, US Centcom.

manned*

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

so if you just hate the US, happy days bet u use google/ms ur probably trolling US freak lots here..

You misunderstand me. It's not the weapon that's imprecise it's the human element. Human shields etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will this mean the middle east will go to sh1t again? with civil wars, oil prices sky rocketing etc?

Post edited by fryup on

Horrible to think of the atrocities that could be happening there right now with the US done.

A calamitous decision.

• Advertisement

Advertisement