Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Options

Comments

Rory isn't playing at Wentworth. He's taking a break after this week to be fresh for the Ryder Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Yeah, I just read that after posting, was surprised, but he wants to be fresh for the Ryder Cup so fair enough.

I think Casey should be playing? So it's still possible that he could outdo Bernd and keep Shane in the qualifying spots.

Best thing is - how well Shane plays Wentworth, so I'm sure he fancies maybe even winning it. A big performance there and he's a lock either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

What’s the feeling on who’ll win it? The US probably start with a 1 or 2 point advantage being at home but I think there’s too much going on this year with the players in the team. Saw a tweet earlier highlighting what US players don’t like each other and it’s pretty much half the team that all hate each other.

Years ago there was rivalry between the US players but it was left behind when it came to the Ryder cup. Nowadays the players are so competitive starting at Junior level all the way up through college and into the Pro’s that they’ve grown up knowing nothing other than first place and I don’t think the team environment suits some of them. That US team environment wont be a nice place I don’t think. Looking back at their last team event which was the presidents cup it had a good mix of older lads and younger lads. Next months Ryder cup team will be mostly young lads who don’t like each other. Woods and Mickelson didn’t get on for a few years but there was respect there. There wasn’t much respect shown between Dechambeau and Cantlay last night. Koepka and Dechambeau we all know the score there and Dustin Johnson and Koepka aren’t exactly pals either. By and large that American team is full of assholes with big egos and I think the European team could give them a bit of a hiding.

Harrington was part of winning and losing teams on US soil. He’s got some brain on him as well he’ll have that European team well prepped and he’ll command the respect of the entire group. The European lads always look like they’re having a ball and while I think the American players are all in form at the moment, I think all their personal bullshît will spoil it for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I don't see Europe giving them a hiding, if they win it'll be by a narrow margin. There's too much talent in this US team for them to be slaughtered at home a la 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

US will win. The captains role in Ryder Cup is overrated. It really comes down to who is playing well or not. Maybe a lucky break here or there.

Not like other team sports were you set a team to play a certain style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

US obviously big favourites but I wouldnt rule the Europeans out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I would disagree with you there. The foursomes and fourballs match ups is tactical and the Sunday singles lineups are tactical as well. The mind games at play in a Ryder Cup is unreal and the Americans had the upper hand for years. Harrington is very sharp though and watch for the mind games with the pairings on Day 1. Tactics are as much about getting in your opponents head than it is playing 3 up front in a soccer match.

Interesting article below touching on what I mentioned in my original post:

https://www.golfdigest.ie/news/the-toxic-nature-of-golf-in-america-and-why-steve-stricker-is-as-much-a-babysitter-as-a-captain

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

He puts the pairings but he is not out shouting tactics during the game or setting match ups were goes to Shane I want you to swap with Poulter as they'll have Brooks out then.

No but I think you missed my point about there being more to tactics that putting them in their pairings and giving them a clap on the back before they tee off. This Ryder Cup more than any other will come down to mind games. All the players are so closely matched, I think the mind games will catch the Americans out and be a huge advantage to the Europeans. This will be the most fascinating Ryder Cup we’ve seen in years and I think overall quality wise could be the best.

Agree that quality wise could be one of the best, it's a very strong Americam team and a good European one.

While the European whole will need to be greater than the sum of its parts (as it usually proves to be) to win, mind games won't be the deciding factor in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Whatever the quality, I hope they give us a decent setup this time, can get a bit tedious when they're pitching it almost dead every second hole and the lads on sky almost launching into orbit. Not even sure a benign setup would favour the Americans all that much this time. And whistling straits is generally a decent test anyway, especially if there's some breeze about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I think Whistling Straits is a far better course than Hazeltine so hopefully that'll make it more interesting regardless of setup.

I agree Hazeltine was a bit one dimensional

Personally I'm just hoping for a close contest. The only two that have been any bit exciting in the last two decades were 2010 and 2012 for me. 2002 was good aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ye just hoping for a close contest. Last three were over early into the singles I think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

They will (and should) set it up in a way that suits them. Long as possible. Zero premium on driving accuracy and a massive focus on driving distance.

They'll do well to have zero premium on driving accuracy on a Pete Dye!

Stenson off to a good start in Italy 5 under, cheeseburger - 1 thru 12 miglionzzi 2 over thru 12.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Stenson giving himself a great chance of a pick with his current form

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Shouldn’t be the case that a few weeks of form coming into the Ryder Cup is the be-all and end-all

Without sounding too disingenuous, I’d probably be picking Richard Bland over Henrik Stenson this time around

Agree with the sentiment and feel he needs to win this week or next week (maybe both 😄) to be seriously considered.

Although with Henrik, it wouldn't be the first or even the second time he's gone from no-hoper to world-class in a short period of time.

Tommy starting to show a bit of form finally.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

What does Pèrez need to do to qualify?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

A lot.

This week he would have to win to move into either the qualifying positions on the world list or european points list. His form has really dropped off a cliff in the last few months.

Next week has a lot more on offer, so we'll cross next week when we come to it lol

I watch a lot of golf, but find it difficult to get excited about the Ryder Cup. Like the Lions Tour, it just seems very fake and corporate. Something Sky hypes up.

Worrying times for US captain Steve Stricker as Brooks Koepka withdraws from the Tour Championship due to injury. The Ryder Cup starts in 20 days from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wiesberger made a hames of the end of front 9/start of back 9. Only at -2 with 5/6 holes left

He finished -1, so he'll gain bugger all points.

Victor Perez also going backwards today. 2 over for his round after 6 holes.

Tommy Fleetwood may overtake Shane today on the world points list, but it wont matter as he'll be consolidating his position on the european points list

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I've had a look at what various players need to do in order to get into an automatic qualifying spot and have posted the results of my analysis in the Shane Lowry thread, if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

Sergio Garcia is not playing this week so he must be confident of getting a wildcard

Yeah had said previously that Sergio will get a pick if he doesn't qualify, especially now that he's in good form.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

No, Paddy has been playing the long game and planning the ultimate revenge upon Sergio, all the sweeter now that's he's sure he's in! 😄

Advertisement