Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why aren't you donating blood?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Me too. Drinking large amounts of water in the hours before donation makes a huge difference

Heard that alright. I tried it the last time I went for a blood test and it still made no odds - ended up taking it from the back of my hand. Luckily I don't have a needle phobia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I genuinely don't see how the extra precautions for men who sleep with men are necessary. Just have all the questions needed on one form.
    Unless you have a PhD in blood safety, it really doesn't matter whether you see the need or not. This is like all the amateur epidemiologists who apparently know better than NPHET. We've had serious issues with blood contamination in the past. We've had large payouts, public inquiries, political scandals and more.

I don't claim to be expert in blood safety, but unless you're an expert, you might want to defer to those who are experts in this.
    In the mobile clinics it is generally more than an hour unless you get very lucky.

We consent to all sorts of things online, even covid vaccine consent.

Sure I am just as likely to tick the wrong box when I'm filling it in in the clinic as I am online.

I'm just saying it should be an option to speed up the process where possible. Young people aren't going to be bothered if it takes too long. I'm also explaining why people might not be bothered donating. Anything which can be done to speed up the process, should be done. That is all.

It's a classic technology 'solution looking for a problem' approach. Why would you assume that cutting five minutes off the donation time would make a difference? It wouldn't make a toss of a difference to me, and I suspect to many others also. If you've committed time to donate, chill out, read the paper or go on your phone or chat to the person beside you or whatever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

I donated for years, went onto donate platelets but then went back to blood donation as i couldn't give the full commitment to platelet donation.

Unfortunately I had a 'false positive' for hepatitis even though i've had the vaccine. Another test confirmed I never had any infectious disease and in Ireland if you ever have a false positive you are no suitable for donation. Of course I fully understand and appreciate the necessary safeguards for blood donation its still a bit annoying to be told you can't do something.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Number 36 this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

Never donated blood. I was under impression that my spending a few years of my childhood in UK had ruled me out. It appears that they got rid of that rule. I can’t donate now for a good while as I am pregnant. I am O negative so it’s definitely something I should be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

talla10 wrote: »
    ...Unfortunately I had a 'false positive' for hepatitis even though i've had the vaccine. Another test confirmed I never had any infectious disease and in Ireland if you ever have a false positive you are no suitable for donation....

Does having had hepatitis make one unsuitable to donate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I can’t, had to have a transfusion in 2016…it’s a pity cause I would in a heart beat….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Used to and then they said my iron level was too low. Will attempt again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still banned for more than one reason though less than before. Plenty of other countries would allow me to donate though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

I have have trypanophobia and mild epilepsy. Not a great combination for giving blood.

L1011 wrote: »
    Still banned for more than one reason though less than before. Plenty of other countries would allow me to donate though.

Think some of the reasons are: live in UK in the 80s; got tats and is homosexual.

Up to a few years ago I was always below the weight of 50kg. Now that a combination of lockdown and a broken ankle has changed that at least for the time being, I just checked my eligibility again. They changed the rules for women! I'm still below the weight for my height!

It's a bit annoying, as I don't actually know my blood type, but we have a lot of type o negatives in the family. If I am also one I would definitely want to donate. But can't anyway so hey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

YFlyer wrote: »
    Think some of the reasons are: live in UK in the 80s; got tats and is homosexual.

UK one was 80s to mid 90s and has been lifted.

https://www.giveblood.ie/can-i-give-blood/keeping-blood-safe/ shows the list, some are permanent bans (currently), some are temporary. Some permanent bans have become temporary recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Honest answer would be: it seems somewhat gross, there are other ways I'd rather spend my time, seems like it could be a bit of a libby thing to do (not sure if that's right but it does seem like a blood donor clinic would be a libby environment), and I couldn't be bothered! :pac:

I'd be more the type to risk myself to save you in person if the situation arose than to show up to a clinic, definitely more of a helpful and caring type than you'd think from the first bit there!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

YFlyer wrote: »
    Used to and then they said my iron level was too low. Will attempt again.

Happened to me a few times too, so about two weeks before donation time, plenty of spinach, kidney beans, oj with breakfast and some beef.

A few occasions thought my iron levels would be too low e.g. just after Christmas but the nurse said all rich food fruits in cakes, pudding etc really help.

• Advertisement

nj27 wrote: »
    Honest answer would be: it seems somewhat gross, there are other ways I'd rather spend my time, seems like it could be a bit of a libby thing to do (not sure if that's right but it does seem like a blood donor clinic would be a libby environment), and I couldn't be bothered! :pac:

I'd be more the type to risk myself to save you in person if the situation arose than to show up to a clinic, definitely more of a helpful and caring type than you'd think from the first bit there!

It's a medical environment. Just donate, if you're physically able to. Make the call today.

florawest wrote: »
    Happened to me a few times too, so about two weeks before donation time, plenty of spinach, kidney beans, oj with breakfast and some beef.

A few occasions thought my iron levels would be too low e.g. just after Christmas but the nurse said all rich food fruits in cakes, pudding etc really help.

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don't give blood, 'cos I won't give blood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

nj27 wrote: »

What the bejesus does this mean?

I hope to christ I'm just reading it wrong, and you're not politicizing donating blood...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I just wanted to thank the donors on this thread, and elsewhere.

My sister has terminal cancer. She has had a number of transfusions over the past few days. They have given her the strength to say her goodbyes to us, get her affairs in order and come to terms with her diagnosis. That is a gift that is one of the very few good things in an awful situation. I am incredibly grateful.

I was due to give blood last week, when we found out about her cancer. I'll be rescheduling in the near future.

Your blood donation might save a life. Or it might not, but help someone who is dying to have a 'good' death. And that's so important too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ghoulfinger

I used to give blood when I was medically able to do. On intervening years I benefitted from blood donations during and after surgery. Without donors many of us wouldn't be around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

I never did it before because I lived in the UK for a few years. I didn’t know ban had been lifted until I read it in a boards thread. I can’t donate now for awhile. I am O negative so the perfect blood type for donation. Hopefully in the future I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know the story with the D'Olier St clinic and parkiing. Im booked in to donate at the start of Jan and the lady on the phone said something about free parking at the Spire car park. How long are you covered for when donating blood? Would you have time to go shopping or get some lunch afterwards or is it just while you are in the clinic for 90 minutes or so?

Why would anyone drive into the city centre? Take the bus or DART or Luas and you'll have all the time you like for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

If they paid i'd donate, otherwise it's too inconvenient. Same with a donor card, it there was say a €5k upfront payment i'd be a donor. Not one at the moment, and won't be unless there's something in it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

that's actually a good point, i'd never do either unless motivated to do so.

100%. One deceased donor can save up to 8 lives. €625 a life is pretty cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Had given about 30 donations, then one day got a letter saying my sample had tested positive for an infectious disease...!

Rang the number provided in somewhat of a panic, to be told it was a "false positive" for some kind of Hepatitis found in West Africa, and that follow up sampling had proven the initial result to be false.

However the rules at the time stated that even a proven false positive barred you from donating for the rest of your life.

That was 7 years ago.

With all the talk on radio about shortages, I decided to give them a ring, and explained my situation.

The upshot was that the rules have changed in the intervening years, and I was invited to a clinic to give a sample.

This was negative, and as a result I am now back on the live register!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just registered my interest to donate. Been meaning to do so pre-covid but now's as good a time as any.

Used to be a frequent donor but illness then prevented me from donating. Have since received a blood transfusion so permanently banned now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I suppose that what's in it for you is the fact that the service exists and will be there for you if you or your family ever need it.

you'd get paid to have a tommy and donate sperm to a sperm bank, so life saving blood and organs should deffo be worth money and there would never be a shortage again.

For some folks, the opportunity to help their fellow countrymen at probably one of the worst points of their lives is motivation enough.

Totally fair point and i commend anyone who does, but like you say it's only some folks. If it was paid there would be alot more.

Depends on your outlook and incineration towards selfishness.

I've always taken the attitude that it costs me nothing except a few hours of my time. And knowing that it will have helped people who need it, is motivation enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I used to donate, I got my blood drop necklace so I think that's 10 donations or so.

I'm O + but haven't been able to donate for the last few years because I'm an outpatient in two hospital clinics .Hopefully I'll be discharged in June and I'll be able to get back to it.

What's an hour or so of my time and a tiny bit of discomfort when you can be saving or prolonging someone's life. Sure I'd spend longer mindlessly watching tik toks daily.

• Advertisement

As it stands i'd rather not have a donor part in me, or donate anything. I'd rather die naturally. But as I said, for a price i'd be willing to donate.

Just to get this straight.............You won't give blood, even though you'd like to, because that's something the 'liberals' would do, and you don't want to be seen as liberal, even though you're "definitely more of a helpful and caring type than you'd think", which in itself is quite liberal?

Is there anything else 'libby' that you avoid doing? Like making sure your neighbours are safe and well? Or eating foreign foods? If you lost your job, would you claim social welfare or is that too communist for you?

Jesus Christ, the mental gymnastics some folk employ to justify their outright hypocrisy and contradictory bollocksology is just breathtaking at times.

Because I dont live anywhere near a DART or Luas and the only bus route by Bus Eireann only has a bus stop 15km away in the completely wrong direction and they refuse to pick up on the side of the road. Public transport isnt easy for everyone unless you live inside the m50.

If anyone knows what the story is with parking for the D'Olier St clinic please post up how long you are covered for.

You'd rather die than get a blood transfusion? That's some Darwin award level stuff right there.

"As it stands" meaning now that you don't need any donor parts to stay alive you'd rather not have any?

Ah, it's only messing. It's the kind of thing someone would say online but people don't behave like that in real life. If someon wants to donate then they donate (or can't for medical or logistical reasons). If someone doesn't want to donate then they don't. Some will make up reasons why they don't donate like the poster above did

• Advertisement

Park and ride is your solution. There is no route to Dublin that isn't in reach of one or other transit hub.

• I personally wouldn’t rather die but I do feel kinda nauseous when I think about someone else’s blood being in me.. just doesn’t feel right. 😂

all the same I’d happily donate was I able to (too sick) and if I needed a transfusion or transplant there’s no hassle I’d get over the “icky” feeling I have about it rather than die.

Not at all, no. I don’t want to give blood anyway, I gave a few reasons as to why that’s the case in the original post. Also I generally wear suits even casually and I don’t appreciate having to take off my jacket and roll up my sleeve either. The hypothesis I’m operating under is that giving blood is a libby activity, although I fundamentally reject your implication that helping people in general is libby. Perhaps doing things you can gloat about while providing some ancillary and impersonal benefits to others would fit that particular bill, but reaching out with a tender hand to those in need without hope for plaudits is an outrageously chad and alpha move. I’d venture to say that an individual under 30 who behaves like that is ripped and based out of all recognition.

Blood is one thing. I'd rather not take someone else's organs.

yeah no thanks, Im not parking up in the suburb on my route that has tons of break ins and joyriding.

Anyway this has nothing to do with my question. Im either driving to donate blood or Im not donating blood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement