Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The last US military plane has left Afghanistan. Withdrawal complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

Actually, I'm with you on this one.

Anyone who has viewed the complete clip will see that Biden responded to Bennett the second the latter finished his comments.

He wasn't asleep at all. And I say that as a critic of Biden.

Only a complete fool would believe Biden literally fell asleep whilst the world was watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

71K thousand Afghan Civilians have died in Afghanistan over the last 20 years. Unfortunately none of those deaths raised any great concern in the US and it will likely be the same again. I saw a Republican politician call for the abolishment of an Afghan city for every US life lost there. So, by that rational, things are much better with Biden.

Which is no consolation to the family of any of those killed.

This of course why Bernie Sanders was never really going to get the top job, the military budget would probably be halved overnight were he to have become President. You probably wish he had gotten the Democratic nomination and won the Presidency, given your concern for Afghan children.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It has everything to do with the thread.

Trump worshippers on here have been claiming that the election was "stolen" and that Biden "cheated" his way to the White House. They claim this on the back of lies and deceit by the likes of Sidney Powell, who when faced with basic questions cowardly runs away.

Much like the Trump supporters on this thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Watched part of it on YouTube yesterday. It was excellent.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you're not meant to tell your enemy when you're leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

You would think that the heads in the west wing would be able to control things a little bit better than they are. They didn't have to do to much to look better than the last lot but talk about screwing the pooch big time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

@everlast75 @Tony EH the multiple warnings on this thread have been crystal clear, this is not the thread for discussing Trump, any more posts like the above ones will mean an immediate threadban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think the way they are handling the storm is setting a perfect example. Biden has been clear, to the point, showed empathy, compassion. He hasn't tried to downplay, or make up stuff either. He hasn't made any political points about governors from different parties, it is an US issue, which although being directly faced by those in its path is going to have the full strength of the US to back them up.

Empathy and compassion!?

In his first TV interview since the withdrawal, Biden was asked about the scenes of Afghans falling from planes etc. His response? "That was 4 or 5 days ago man!".

That's the very opposite of empathy and compassion.

That answer was not in response to that comment. It was in response to Afghans being piled into C-17s. Let's not be disingenuous.

False.

The interviewer specifically mentioned Afghans falling from planes along with Afghans being piled onto C-17s.

Biden literally starts talking as the reporter says the word "falling". You are being nothing but disingenuous.

Not disingenuous at all. The interviewer was referring to all the chaotic scenes and then began listing them.

First of all, Biden was wrong; it wasn't 4-5 days ago; it was 2-days ago.

Second, even if he were only referring to the C-17, that dismissal alone is not empathetic either.

Thank you for agreeing that your statement was incorrect.

What a weird interpretation of all my comments on this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In fairness, is one overloaded plane really such a terrible thing in the context of a chaotic evacuation?

You said "if he were only referring to the C-17", so you agree that your statement was a personal opinion and not a fact. As you stated this opinion as if it was instead a fact, you were being disingenuous.

• Advertisement

So you agree that his handling of the storm was good, since you immediately ignored it and went onto to something else?

His job is to look after Americans, and Americans don't care about foreigners. Trump leveraged that to such an extend that millions of Americans were happy to ban Muslims from coming into the country at all, and saw any person from south of the border as a significant threat.

So while you and I may agree that the position that Biden has taken in relation to the poor people in Afghanistan is awful, it is exactly what the American people want.

The original comment was that the White house is was handling things very badly, I was pointing out that they have got some things very right.

The American people for sure wanted out of Afghanistan.

But it's the means through which this was "achieved" that Americans are deeply displeased about.

Less than 40% of Americans approve of President Joe Biden's handling of the U.S. military withdrawal from Afghanistan, and three quarters wanted U.S. forces to remain in the country until all American civilians could get out, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll released on Monday.

The national survey, conducted Aug. 27-30, found that 51% disapproved of Biden's approach to the pullout while 38% approved.

Sure, but waiting how long? It is easy to say that troops should stay until everyone is out, but how many troops. Too few and they become sitting ducks. Once incident leads to another, more troops are needed to give additional protection. Suddenly 3 years go by and still troops are stuck there.

There was no 'good' way of leaving, certainly no way to leave that would have pleased everyone. Very few soldiers were killed or injured, so from that POV it was a success. Those people unhappy with Biden's performance will quickly forget about it as it disappears from the news.

If people are unhappy with the withdrawal what realistic option do they have? Vote for the GOP which landed the US in the war in the 1st place, or the Dems that got them out. Unfortunately, given the nature of US politics, that is the only choice. So while people may be unhappy, when the time for a decision to be made actually comes up, there isn't a 'happy' option.

The thing is that I just don't believe that you'd be arguing the same points, had Biden's predecessor overseen the same chaotic scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

At that point you would be arguing that a lot of the people causing issues were released by the person overseeing the chaos. Indeed you would also see that the deal made with the Taliban coming into play more.

You have different set ups to these potential scenarios so they are different. What happened is definitely partially on Biden but also on what has gone on there for the last 20 years. Biden has largely accepted that failure to come up with a long term plan but he is at least not pouring money into it to hide this fact.

Fine, but I would have. I can't prove or disprove that. But Trumps 4 years showed us that planning and management are not really his thing. Look at his handling of Covid? Ir his handling of Puerto Rico? There is nothing in his 4 years term to suggest that he would have done any better. In fact recently on the Hannity show, he said he would keep soldiers in Bagram airport. So effectively creating a target point for ISIS and everyone else.

The key difference is that I expect that Biden foresaw, at least in part, this play out the way it did. Trump always seemed to be completely caught out and taken by surprise by events.

Once Trump made the decision to give in to the Taliban, the dye was cast. Could Biden have cancelled the deal? Of course, but the cost would be massive. He took the only real option he had left. I am not for a second saying I agree with the pull out or how it was done, just that I understand where Biden is coming from and that is mostly based on the reality that Americans wanted out, they were fed up with it and this will play out well politically (provided no massive terrorism etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Did you miss the part where Trump and Pompeo negotiated with them and agreed to release 5K prisoners as long as Taliban wouldn't attack US until they left? Oh, and they left the Afhan government out of those negotiations despite being warned it would undermine them and lead to the Taliban taking over as soon as they did go....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Does Joe the middle American who has a blue collar job and is married with a couple of kids really care about Afghanistan?

I thought Biden’s team would be trying to bring it back to Covid and the hurricane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No they don't and they'll care even less in a few months time. Most white collar's don't really care that much either. Not even the Republican Party are interested in trying to make too much capital out of the withdrawal, because they're afraid of the blowback it'll create for them and the guy who cannot be named on this thread.

Biden and the people around him certainly are partly responsible for how this thing came off and it's the only remarkable event that's happened to him in his presidency so far, which has been a relatively middle-the-roads affair. But in the end, I don't see it being that damaging for him, however both he and the Democrats will have to play a careful game at how they talk about it in the future.

Ultimately, though, Biden has delivered what most American's wanted and that's what will be remembered in the final assessment. A useless 20 year endeavour has been brought to a close. It was absolutely a messy close, but it's still a close.

Advertisement