Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s about 12,000 kilometers from the US to Afghanistan...about 4,500 from the nearest EU country to western Afghanistan....

the US have distance and strict and stringent criteria to enter.

the EU has neither. The EU will I think need to cop the fûck on about its borders and the criteria and rules for entering... because when the Taliban regroup.... their focus won’t just be Afghanistan....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Its a bit ironic, but the last 20 years have seen the biggest population increase in Afghanistan,and this is largely due to the presence of the US. They rebuilt and staffed hospitals and upgraded health services, repaired / rebuilt roads and that helped people in rural ares access to the health clinics. Child and Mother mortality rates dropped as a result, plus famines, which were then an ever present occurance in Afghanistan, were kept at bay by the US.

Yes of course, this is and always been the stock in trade of the Taliban and isis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well, until they were stopped, part of the isis grand plan was to take and destroy Rome, quite incredible though it may seem. And now,the Taliban have gained unbelievable traction in Islamic Countrys,,,, they are ones who defeated the greatest military power in the world, and not only that, but the Great Satan. And this will encourage others to equal the feat, anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah the woke crowd will be after him, It's 'personned' you sexist dinosaur

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The last few years have been relatively quiet as far as the US were concerned. None killed by enemy action this year until the airport bombing. Four in 2020. Never more than 20 after 2014 (Which was 37). Not quite sure from where you were getting your figures.

Quite a few errors in the WW2 tank discussion (My subject for making my living), but the mod has prohibited further engagement, unfortunately. I'll just say a little more research is required. Oddly, the world's foremost expert on Panzers lives in Dun Laoighre (Hilary Doyle).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think people forget all this.

I think they'll be busy for a while keeping their own house in order. Internal power struggles etc.

Does anyone know why the US left helicopters, planes and weapons behind? I don't understand why they didn't blow everything up or have a big bonfire. Or take it with them? Seems like a mad waste of US taxpayers money, as well as giving massive assistance to scumbags who will use it for terrible purposes. Very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

im starting to think the weapons left was strategic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Cody montana

That would make sense. The same Afghan army who then stood aside while the Taliban waltzed in to Kabul. It's just another depressing addition to a terrible story.

I didn’t mention tanks. My statistics come from wiki, and yes the numbers did drop in the last few years as the Afghan army took the brunt. My figures are all NATO/coalition casualties including contractors, not American so that might have been a bit misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Massive mistake and humiliation for Biden.

Mission failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I keep hearing this, how is he humiliated? What could he have done differently in your expert opinion?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Is it not more a case of Mission Achieved rather than Mission Failed considering that this mission was to withdraw US forces from Afghanistan?

And that's just happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Cody montana

He ended America’s longest war.

A pointless war.

It’s over.

Anything of military use in Kabul Airport was permanently disabled, Humvees, Bradleys, Aircraft etc. and they destroyed / disabled many more in the field, plus several aircraft were flown out of Afghanistan by their pilots. But its still only a fraction of what they had supplied to the ANA.Now the taliban will try to track down any of the ANA pilots they can, and force them to fly whats left. Ditto, any technicians, mechanics etc. But it will go down in US military history as perhaps the biggest war time blunder ever made.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I know it might be a PITA to do but is there any chance those posts could be split into a new thread and moved to the Military forum? I wasn't contributing as it's something I know very little about but it was a fascinating read and certainly one of the best off-topic tangents I've seen recently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Now they will try to track down any of the ANA pilots they can, and force them to fly whats left. Ditto, any technicians, mechanics etc.

Are the Taliban pragmatic enough to do that rather than execute those guys as 'quislings'?

We wait with bated breath to see if the EU will finally start to protect their borders. The numbers coming in this year suggest otherwise once again. Anyway let's see, if they don't cop on the EU itself will ultimately implode.

America's geographic isolation and friendly neighbours are a massive advantage for them and perhaps a reason why they aren't overly concerned with the outcome of foreign "adventures" or any subsequent issues stemming from them.

Hopefully......Taliban V isis. And as Rory Stewart said about Afghanistan "Its composed of 22'000 villages, towns and cities, with a total population of 40'million people comprising 16 different etnic groups, Pashtun's making the biggest % at 42%.Followed by the Tajiks at 27%, and so on down the scale". Now thats some patchwork quilt to try and control, and always has been. And as a possible side effect, given the present heady"we are unbeatable" euphoric, they could link up with their brother Pashtuns in Pakistan, and cause some serious headaches for the PK Government. Now that would be something else...the Tiger you created and nurtured as a cub, now attacking you as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Speaking as someone linked to US military can you give us an indication of what the rank and file think about

1) the decision to pull out of Afghanistan totally in the first place ?

2) how the actual evacuation was handled in the end ?

and 3) do you have any idea how much usable kit in the short term, especially aircraft, fell into Taliban hands?

Maybe we could kick off the old tank discussion elsewhere?

Why do those lads remind me of Deliverance?

One might think they even give credence to the old stereotype of that part of the world about parents being close relatives. 🙄

Also maybe it is me, but I am finding quite a few posters really seem to be giving Biden a lot of leeway on his handling of this. Maybe they are just so anti Trump that they see anything better than him?

And yes it would be even more scary to see how he would have handled it, but Biden is coming out of this with his international reputation and that of his country in bad shape.

The trend of the US distancing themselves from foreign involvement under Trump has not been stopped, in fact it appears to have now been adopted when you look at this shambles.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rocjohn

The Brits left behind an arsenal of weaponry to combat Republican forces if necessary after their withdrawal from Ireland. The Free State Forces shelled the Four Courts with British supplied artillary pieces when it was taken over by Republican troops.

Its purpose is to install order ,however the weapons would never be a threat to their original owners or at least thats the intent.

Death toll in Afghanistan in the last 20 tears according to CFC.org is:

6'000 US Troops and Contractors.

1'000 NATO Troops

47'000 Afghan Civilians

73'000 Afghan Police and Troops ( estimated )

Taliban killed: Exact figures not known, but estimated to be in the 10's of thousands.

The bulk of the Afghan Civilians who died, were killed by the Taliban. They had absolutely no compunctions about collateral damage whatsoever, it being the will of Allah who lives or dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭thomil

These aren't the same Taliban that the west originally faced when it went into Afghanistan back in 2001, at least not from what I can see. While they're undoubtedly still brutal fanatics, it seems as if the twenty years of fighting, as well as the arrival of ISIS and its splinter groups has pushed the group away from the fringes somewhat. The big question is how tightly the leadership can control the various groups that make up the Taliban.

Don't get me wrong, they're fanatics and I don't really have much faith in their claims about a more inclusive regime, but I do believe that the Taliban, or at least elements of the Taliban will be far more willing to be pragmatic when it helps their interests than they used to be. The coordination between them and western forces during the last phases of the withdrawal is a testament to this fact. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the US coordinating with the Taliban on going after ISIS-K in the future, at least on a unit level.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Are people actually using Wiki as a variable source ,only last week according to wiki the Taliban over ran the US with its superior forces and numbers of 200,000 + fighters ,

Come on now do people actually believe that

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I seen pictures of dogs in cages left behind ,a lot of pro trump ,pro 2A guys ranting and raving about how they left behind actual K9 military dogs to be slaughtered , turns out the dogs in cages were local strays being fed by Contractors at Kabul airport ,

And not military k9s ,but yet the same people Claiming Joe left these unnamed troops behind (For all intent and purpose K9s are soldiers)

• Advertisement

Wiki is generally reliable and those casualties are sourced. Not sure what specifically you are disagreeing about?

Advertisement