Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We never do things easily do we

It’s not working change it

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Disappointing first half. Chelsea deserve their lead. Hopefully we can find our feet for second half

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭feedthegoat

The only positive is that we are only 1 down at halftime, needs to fix midfield and needs to refocus them We can still do this, think we were 1 níl down against PSG and Dortmund at half time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Just not happening tonight. Credit to Chelsea they've been excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭feedthegoat

So, so, so disappointing. Gutted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Outfought. Fair result.

I remember the 3rd Division and how that felt

Very disappointing tonight but we will be back again and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

My heart sank as soon as I saw the lineup!
    We had the perfect team against PSG. Why oh why change it!
    Ah well. There's always next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Tough night lads.

These words mean f**k all now but when we lost our first final to Utd it was devasting, ye'll win it in the next 3 years I'd guess, yere too god not to.

Two best sides in England played probably the best final in years tonight and I look forward to giving ye a run next year in the PL and CL.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Tough night lads.

These words mean f**k all now but when we lost our first final to Utd it was devasting, ye'll win it in the next 3 years I'd guess, yere too god not to.

Two best sides in England played probably the best final in years tonight and I look forward to giving ye a run next year in the PL and CL.

Never had a problem with Chelsea

Even before the few quid

Well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Great season all the same. Our time will come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Very disappointing. That will hurt for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

It was always going to be tight against two excellent teams - surely the best two teams in Europe at present.

Have to ask though any insight as to why Fernandinho didn't play. He is a master of the dark arts opposition always know he is around leaving a foot in or just being a jerk. I would love him at the Bridge would be the second name on the team-sheet after Kante.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Tough night lads.

I thought Chelsea finished fourth to Ole's Utd and an injury ravaged Liverpool?

*Runs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

noodler wrote: »
    I thought Chelsea finished fourth to Ole's Utd and an injury ravaged Liverpool?

*Runs*

From 9th but sure look, no point clogging up the city thread with such fine details.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

https://twitter.com/ManCity/status/1410922447373844482?s=19

Best wishes to Kiddo. Been a great servant to the club, both on and off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

"Kidd has seen City lift 16 domestic trophies under three different managers"

some record in fairness - big loss to the back room

Do assistant managers get medals? If so he must have the biggest collection of trophies in English football. The number of titles and cups he won as player and part of the management team is unreal.

Joe Exotic wrote: »
    some record in fairness - big loss to the back room
    And, by all accounts, a really lovely fella as well. Which is getting rarer and rarer in the cutthroat sport (business?) that is football football at that level.

Congratulations to Brian Barry Murphy on his appointment as Lead Coach to the EDS group.

https://twitter.com/ManCityAcademy/status/1418889591080300546?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Interesting appointment. I think he was the reason rochdale got bazunu last season so he must have decent connection at city, maybe through fergal harkin. His team apparently played lovely football at rochdale….but got relegated. Maybe with more trchnical players like we have in that age group it might work out perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Mmm, Graelish. Nice signing, but surely Silva must be on way out then.

Be a shame if he is .

I didn't think we would pay that price for Jack but I was wrong.

I don't think they would pay the money for Kane and now with Messi in the mix they might go for Messi . Be unreal to get either .

I don't believe a word they say untill there at the club signed up.He could go anywhere.

Kane would be an excellent signing tho if it happens .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Hi.

Another fan here of little old City who nobody cares about ;)

CTID.

So what's plan b for City if they don't get Kane?

Jesus?

I always thought Sterling could take that role. He has it in him and after a great Euros sure why not

• Advertisement

Didn't look like they were clicking at all today . Jack was ok but he needs time to bed in .Son goal was excellent .

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Mendy was brutal I thought. Moura was class. Son's goal was a thing of beauty.

Once KDB came on the difference was obvious. Things will click when he's fit again.

I wouldnt agree iat all, Sterling cant shoot reliably. He is not a natural striker of the ball.

Also Think his movment in the box wouldnt be up to it, although that could be coached.

Post edited by Joe Exotic on

Very true but someone has to play that position and Pep doesnt want to play Jesus and Torres. Torres didn't look that great in his last game but does have sparks of brilliance tho so lets wait and see.

I agree, of the remaining Torres suits the role the way city play best.

Any thoughts on the Kane transfer, im not so sure we get him i wonder what alternatives we could bring in ?

I'm Sure city will have a list and Like Diaz we may not be so familiar with the player who comes in.

Sources linking us to this lad

as an alternative to Kane,

Hes 21 so quite young but scored 21 goals from 37 starts last year in Serie A for Forentina which is quite impressive at that age.

We have seen before city unwilling to go beyond their valuation so they might be considering moving on, or this could be city trying to nudge spurs or it could be completly made up !!! who knows

• Advertisement

being reported that Mendy has been charged with Sexual assault and Rape

Suspended by club

https://twitter.com/City_Xtra/status/1430918985407680513?s=20

Let see how it plays out, don't know all the facts but if true hope he gets what he deserves.

Ya i think your right everyone is entiled to due process,

On a different note whats everyones thoughts on Ronaldo ?

I have mixed feelings, but he has a winning attitude and is a bit cutthroat so it might just be the influence the squad needs

Also if played as a striker he will score.

On the negitive side its a very short term solution and often those sort of solutions dont work

Ronaldo might still have a good year in him, he has clearly looked after himself well and I think he might be a good stop gap solution. We should do anything and everything we can to sign Haaland next year, though. Ronaldo will help bridge the gap.

On a personal level I can't stand him, not because of his United connection because he is a vain and egocentric pr*ck. But he is an incredibly gifted footballer, there can be no doubt about that. I'd have him.

Ya pretty much sums it up for me,

i did read this article about him and certain allegations that have been made against him and im now even less enthused by it.

I believe in Innocent until proven guilty and all that and i have no idea if whats protrayed here (theres a link in the aritcle to a more detailed one) is accurate but with the Mendy allegations it just doesnt sit right with me. Not a discussion for here but i honestly dont know whats the right thing for City to do here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

With Pep now on record he out the gap in 2023....I hope he doesn't lumber us with Ronald on a long term contract. Am worried that Pep might make decisions in next 18 months that could leave club with serious problems. £100m on Grealish...... I am still scratching my head on this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, it really is weird how little coverage/acknowledgment these sorts of stories have tended to get with big names alright… like, I know accusation doesn’t equal guilt of course, but in the cases of Ronaldo and Neymar we have two high profile players who actively went far out of their ways not to cooperate with cases against them (and in Ronaldo’s case to actively obstruct), and it seems to just not really matter to people, or dampen their support much…

City have cut off negotiations apparently

I'd completely forgotten about those allegations, shame on me.

I've changed my mind. I'd rather he goes elsewhere.

Same here its only i happened accross it on twitter.

besides that im not 100% would be fit into our system well. I dont know how much pressing we would have gotten from him.

Our penalty problem would have been solved though !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

On the Ronaldo deal, I was surprised to see us linked with him in the first place. Not a Man City type of signing, let alone a Guardiola type of signing. Sure, it would've been fun to wind up your Man Utd supporting mates but banter probably isn't the best premise upon which to run a club. I think the main takeaway from our opening 3 games this season has been that with Jesus playing wide and Torres in the central role the attack does have a bit more fluidity to it. Once Grealish properly beds in, De Bruyne gets back to full speed and Foden returns the potential is there to storm the league again this season. The Ronaldo signing had all of the potential to stymie that, unwilling and unable to press, a style of play that demands him being the focal point of the attack (statistically most moves end with Ronaldo) and declining physical attributes would've put us in such an awkward position of having to play this individual in a team that's almost entirely focused on the collective. Let Man Utd have him, he fits far better with them.

Agree with prety much all of that, my concern is that in the bigger games with better quality defences that without a experienced striker we might struggle to score.

That was certainly the experience against Chelsea since Tuchel took over. without that focal point we didnt really look that dangerous.

A well drilled back defence will be able to handle our false 9 forcing us to play in front of them and then hit us on the break.

While Torres could be the solution long term i dont see that he has the movment down just yet to create space, look back at the movement of Aguero and how he would pull CB's with him which then allowed the other attackers to move into the space and the midfield to give the assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Absolutely there is a need for a striker, but ye I don't think Ronaldo was the answer at all. Harry Kane is tailor made for us though the idea of signing him next summer at 29 for 100 million+ does also seem a bit risky.

We probably should've seen it coming with Torres, Pep flirted with playing him centrally last season and his assets probably suit a more central role anyway. He was a bit unlucky to fall out of the team last season but now with it being his 2nd season and there being a space in the team for him, this was probably always likely to be his big breakout season.

2-1 at home and Mahrez looked like his life counted on it.

Joking aside City are looking good here , keV excellent as usuall.

Some nice displays from our youngsters last night. It would be brilliant if a couple of them made it into the first team on a regular basis, keep Foden some company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement