Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year olds able to change gender in Scotland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

It only messes with their head to use the opposite pronouns to what they have requested.

By telling them they have to use pronouns they don't identify with is far more likely to lead to mental illness.

You should leave little children alone Chadimir.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

Would you be happy if the child chose to use the pronouns, Zir / Zay ?

Do you know what messes with children's heads? Putting adult's notions on them and trying to get them to bend to our "adult" way of thinking.

I completely agree. Forcing them to conform to old fashioned anti-trabs ideas of some adults is damaging.

I'm happy for the child to choose whatever pronouns it likes. I've yet to come across any adult who uses those pronouns so seems incredibly unlikely that a child will. So seems a largely irrelevant point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,929 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s precisely because it’s gone beyond mere anecdotes that guidance from the Scottish DOE was required by schools in how best to approach the issue of supporting children who are transgender in schools in Scotland. I pointed out already that similar guidelines have existed in Irish schools for the last number of years, with one of the core principles being that the child’s gender identity must be respected -

There has been an increase in awareness of gender identity issues and a growing capacity to understand the issues experienced by transgender people; and in 2015 the Oireachtas passed the Gender Recognition Act (2015). A positive consequence of this increased awareness is that more young people are coming out as transgender and seeking the support they need. In the school context this growing awareness needs to be matched with accurate information and responses that are based on good practice in addressing the needs of transgender young people.

A school’s response should be holistic and integrated, where the support of the student is the key consideration in every response.

A key strategy in supporting students and preventing transphobic bullying in school is to promote a climate of acceptance and respect for all. School principals may feel that they should respond immediately with practical supports. However, it is good practice to take time with the student, and his or her parents/guardians, to find the right solutions for their particular context rather than rushing into a standard response.

This section addresses questions and issues that may arise when students who are transgender come out while at school. The following information is offered as a way of ensuring that a pupil who comes out is supported and that it is clear to the entire school community that a climate of respect and an anti-bullying culture mean that all students should be supported. Given the higher risk of transgender young people experiencing transphobic bullying the guidance is provided to support a positive school climate and culture that is supportive of difference and diversity and that prevents transphobic bullying.

Suggestions are based on good practice and offer some guidance in this area. It is noted however that the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Education and Social Protection (Houses of the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Education and Social Protection, 2013) recommended that comprehensive guidelines be developed in this regard.

Thats from the Irish DOE guidelines here, recognising the fact that the number of children in Irish schools who identify as transgender is increasing, and they need guidelines as to how to cope with that reality.

But you can't dismiss the existence of alternative pronouns. They absolutely exist - and are a very important element of the modern trans- movement, where people can choose whatever pronouns they choose.

I've taken the following from the University of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

And this is the problem.

The guidelines now in place are the thin end of the wedge. What is guidance now for 4-year olds will evolve further, no doubt. It's a constant war on children.

Assigned 😆

I'm actually a cereal bar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I didn't dismiss them. But they are not an important part of the modern trans movement. Every trans person I know uses he she or she. I am aware of some who prefer they. The only place I've encountered anything else is online and only when an anti-trans campaigner wants to make fun of people.

How many of your trans friend use one of these.alternative pronouns?

• Advertisement

Ah you have to laugh though. Humans we're some oul bunch at over complicating everything and making it bigger than it is.

Leave young children out of this. Life is simple for them and so it should be. Leave it to the adults to be losing their sh!t over this because the children certainly aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

What is your proposal for assisting children who are transgendered? Or do you not believe this very natural state of existence?

If appreciate not slipping in a passive aggressive "friend" into the reply.

Edit, poster got themselves banned while I was replying. Same question to others of a similar viewpoint.

Earlier in this thread, I asked the question of where is the evidence that children are, at 4-years old, asking teachers to change names/sex/pronouns. How many 4-year old children are actually raising these matters with teachers?

Answer there came none, except your answer which was to argue that it doesn't matter how few it was - the guidance was necessary anyway.

Now when I raise alternative pronouns, you dismiss it on the basis that a small number of people use these pronouns.

You are having it both ways.

Well that’s the reason for the guidelines being introduced, is precisely because some adults were losing their shìt over the fact that children in schools in Scotland were identifying as transgender, fairly simple for the children indeed, but adults didn’t know how to cope with the phenomenon.

Where is the evidence that 4-year old children were secretly asking teachers to use alternative pronouns/names/sex/toilets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

That's **** sick and no amount of left wing word salad will convince me otherwise.

Why are you asking me to provide evidence for a claim that you appear to be making?

They are entirely different circumstances.

In one case I said a piece of guidance will help those it applies to. Whether the number is large or small.

In another case I said in my experience (and seems in your as well) a situation is unlikely to arise.

So one comment I made was "situation X is unlikely".

The other comment was "the guidance will benefit those in situation Y".

Completely different types of statements.

So no contradiction I'm afraid.

Unless there is evidence to suggest this is what's happening on the ground, there is no reason to introduce the guidance to begin with.

Guidance must be grounded in evidence, and not what we think the case to be.

As far as I can see, there's not one jot of evidence that schoolchildren are secretly discussing with teachers the possibility of changing sex / toilets / names / pronouns.

I've no problem with anyone deciding their gender when they're old enough to make an informed decision but lumping this adult thinking on a four year old is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Teaching a child their correct pronouns based on their sex is actually education, not messing with their heads. No more than if a child believes 2 + 2 = 5, it isn't messing with their heads to tell them that they are wrong and the answer is 4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

And you think they are just pulling this stuff out of their backsides - just because the telegraph articles doesn't (conveniently) mention it, doesn't mean to say that this isnt grounded in due process and evidence.

To then come onto an online discussion forum and start demanding peer reviewed evidence when all you post yourself is opinion and anecdotes (and the odd biased snippet from a paywalled source) is a bit of a cheek tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,687 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Is this not literally telling the child that what they are feeling is wrong. You can argue the semantics of the literal definition of terminology but that's willfully ignoring the childs expression of how they feel so that you feel better about what they are saying.

There IS evidence that children in schools are identifying themselves as transgender. I made no claims about children doing so secretly or that they were discussing with teachers the possibility of changing sex / toilets / names or pronouns. The children themselves are already certain about these things for themselves. The guidelines are for adults who aren’t sure how to cope with the reality they’re facing.

No. It's teaching a child that biology is hugely important and that sometimes the way you feel is at odds with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,687 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Why, as you wrote it, is biology hugely important? What do you mean by that? Can a child not be educated to treat and look after themselves in a particular way while still referring to themselves, or feeling that they are a different gender?

You literally sound like exactly what many on your side of the discussion are warning about, that children will be forced to identify a particular way at the direction of an adult motivated by their own beliefs. Is that not what forcing a child to identify themselves in a way contrary to how the child wants to identify themselves is doing?

Km, with respect... I didn't write "society wont accept, but we wont change anything etc.". That's your paraphrasing of what I supposedly wrote.

Let me ask you a question. In terms of numbers affected... how many children (in your opinion) would be affected by having to suppress this, vs the numbers who didn't need to suppress anything but were exposed to the agenda to promote the idea of gender change?

So, if the vast majority of children never consider gender change, why would anyone introduce them to the idea of it? What is the purpose of it, except to encourage more children to claim a desire towards changing their gender?

Society is based on what's good for the majority. The smoking ban was brought in to protect the majority from the effects of smoking, but the interests/"rights"(not actual rights, but you know what I mean) of smokers were sidelined, to favor the majority. Throughout society we have many concepts that place "the greater good" above the needs of the minority, when those needs affect everyone. This is no different with regards to gender change. A tiny tiny tiny percentage of children (I'd still love to see some actual statistics about this) might have to suppress their gender.. but does that mean we introduce/encourage the majority to experiment with it, when we barely understand how gender evolves in children in the first place?

Are you seriously asking my why it's important that children learn that there is physical differences between being a boy and a girl and that just because they think something, it isn't always true?

Maybe I am imposing something on children. Reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

• Advertisement

It's clearly false. Another case of people being unable to argue against the content of the guidance so make up some nonsense about people not having kids instead.

Advertisement