Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Oh Mandy

You came and you brought me The Science

And you taught me compliance, oh Mandy

I tried to stop a consensus from forming

But you kept me conforming, oh Mandy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It’s the masks in private settings though - it doesn’t say public settings which would indicate that unfortunately they will remain in retail after October 22nd - disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And has anyone actually been wearing them in a private setting? I doubt it very much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Can anybody tell me the reason for waiting until Oct 22nd to ease the restrictions?

What will change between say 15th September (when anyone who wanted a vaccine will have received their two doses) and the 22nd of October? Monday 13th September should be our opening up day.

I was in Hungary earlier this month. No masks, no social distancing, everything back to normal. Sat on trains, ate in and outdoors, went to shops - no masks. No panic. And they have less vaccine take up than us.

If people can't see that after 18 months of two more weeks, two more weeks etc. that this will just keep going and going and going then I don't know what then! COVID IS NOT GOING AWAY. It will be here next year and the year after and the year after. I don't know about other posters, but I value every second I have in life and with vaccine we can now return to FULL normal now.

I know, which is why it’s so ridiculous to even mention it. And outdoor settings….sure the majority of people aren’t wearing masks outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Its not disappointing - its very sensible. I can't see how its an inconvenience to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They are removing mask requirements, social distancing and number limits in private settings. In the home basically.

So we can all finally stop wearing masks at home. Great news.

Just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t an inconvenience for others. Pretty sure the vast majority of people would rather not wear a mask if they were told they had a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Vaccine passports are going nowhere for a long time, 2022 at least. Over the next few months there’ll be more variants from areas where vaccinations are low ( most of Africa, SE Asia etc ) so I’d expect lots of travel restrictions to remain to try and slow down the spread of these variants.

If I have to wear a mask in a shop for another year or whatever I couldn’t care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

it is a good day and I'm pleased but today should never have happened and I can't shake the sense of loss or regret or something like that.

Covid19 was a waste of 18 months of everything by any measure possible , the cost will be felt for years to come in mental health, addiction and debt but to name a few.

Will we learn from this? I dunno....

people are too weak to face harsh reality of personal responsibility. instead of fixing their own health they just demand off others.

despite all the evidence and 18months of various lockdowns etc.. . the nation is still a nation of fat unhealthy fcuks awaiting the next mild illness to pop along that hurts those with symptoms of bad lifestyles. If you want to live the paddy losty lifestyle (Chinese and wine o'clock for the ladies) own your decision and stop demanding others care for you.

sure the government are the blame for their stupidity and mismanagement (and there is loads ) but the hospitals are clogged due to long term sh1t lifestyles so it starts with the people - I'm not taking of drunken misadventures that end up in A&E but the lifestyle choice that account for all the long term and serious illnesses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If they said it was 15th of September you’d be in here saying it should be tomorrow. They already said they want to get to 90% fully vaccinated, it’s two weeks after the second shot that a person is considered fully vaccinated so that’s why they picked October 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does social distancing go in October?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So they are saying no masks indoors in a private setting and outdoors.. you really don't see how that can't be spun negatively?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@bucketybuck wrote:

I ask again, if the mask legislation gets extended and if business restrictions continue past Oct 22nd will you acknowledge that these fears did indeed come to pass? Will you acknowledge it at all, or will you pivot to justifying the new circumstances and telling us that it was always going to happen?

In that event I will listen to the justifications given for any such extension, examine the evidence, domestically and internationally, and then decide whether I agree that they are justified.

I'm not going to decide here and now that any extension of restrictions beyond October 22 is unjustifiable. Because I don't have a crystal ball to be able to say that.

Of course, if someone has already decided that restrictions were always unjustifiable, then there's little point in them engaging on this topic, since there is nothing positive or negative that will happen in future that is going to change their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I see loads of negativity in that.

No mention of full unwinding of restrictions on indoor events

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Were you as concerned when many businesses and organisations were prevented from making their own decisions for the better part of the 18 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd rather wear a mask going into a pub than not go into a pub at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Another pessimistic poster predicting restrictions will continue

Social distancing is over if you want to. Social distancing is over now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

I was just about to say that AFAIK Gardai have no remit or power to ask for your vaccine pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Mask wearing isn't really a restriction though, you can still do things you want to with your mask on

Is it? Aren't restrictions on numbers remaining for indoor and outdoor events? Not quite the ludicrous 500 limit but we're still talking about % reductions on capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Except for the bit that says, "Limits on numbers that can meet in private homes, gardens and at outdoor events or engaged in sporting activities are also set to be removed, as will any remaining restrictions on indoor sports activities, leisure activities and religious or civil ceremonies."?

It is a restriction and it's commonly accepted as one. True that it doesn't impede your mobility. Different restrictions take different forms.

The poster also mentioned the internal passport.

I just mean that social distancing is voluntary moreso than anything else. I'm not going to crowd a stranger but apart from that.

Though I suppose we are still forced to keep distant in many places.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Why are we bringing in the use of vaccine certs for additional indoor activities in the next few weeks when the vaccine cert legislation is supposed to expire in just 6 weeks time? Are we being softened up for an extension of the vax cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭bikeman1

If they said today the 15th of September for removal of all restrictions, I would be doing backflips out the front door of work today! The 22nd of October is just plucked from thin air, trust me on that one. What is that they say, "a date to work towards". For what? So some 13 year old's who won't be sick get their second dose? But sure by then the 75+ will be waning with their vaccinations and the cold dark nights will be coming in and we'll be sealing up the windows everywhere??

The restrictions that will be remaining are pointless and doing zero to stop the spread. It's all or nothing with this thing. And Australia is confirming that zero covid does not work.

• Advertisement

Tfw when people start saying, in six weeks time, 'It was never realistic that we would get rid of vax certs. Show me where I said we would' Like clockwork.

Advertisement