Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I think a majority of BJJ gyms seem to have re-opened in a discreet but not that discreet fashion. Not making any judgements, I know in some instance there was just no other choice if they were to survive. It sucks that people have been put in a position of being forced to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Don’t incriminate anybody, but just curious where you are training. PM if you prefer

we’re closed nearly 2 months now. Starting to crack it a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Everyone i'm training with is fully vaccinated, so although 14-15 months ago I would have chosen not to train due to the pandemic, I feel at this point we're training in a safe environment.

There are five BJJ/MMA gyms within walking/cycling distance of my house and I know for a fact that ours is the only one that closed during the pandemic and weren't training on the sly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭barryribs

So I got a response. If anyone is having trouble sleeping, you can have a read of the below

Thank you for your correspondence on behalf of Barry Ribs to the Minister for Health, Stephen Donnelly, T.D., regarding the resumption of indoor training, under the current Covid-19 restrictions.

There has been considerable progress in reducing infection levels since the peak of the wave of infection in late 2020/early 2021 because of the widespread adherence by the public to the public health measures in place, and this progress was sustained during recent phases of reopening in April, May, and June. 

The government continues to follow its plan to review and monitor the control of the virus and follow the prevailing public health advice in support of a safe and gradual reopening. While significant progress is being made in relation to the roll-out of our vaccination programme and the epidemiological situation was broadly stable through most of June, the prevalence of the more transmissible Delta variant has since rapidly increased in Ireland and this poses a significant risk to those who are not yet fully protected though vaccination.

On 29 June, the Government announced the next phase of reopening the economy and society in line with Recovery and Resilience: The Path Ahead, with an emphasis on lower risk activities given the risks posed by the Delta variant. However, due to the public health situation at the time it was decided that higher risk indoor activities could not yet recommence.

Significant and sustained progress has been made on suppressing the virus over recent months due to the huge effort of people across the country. By working together, we have saved lives and limited the impact of the disease on society in Ireland. To protect the gains of recent months we must continue to practice basic preventative behaviours and to follow public health guidelines.  

Currently outdoor training in pods of a maximum of 15 people is allowed and gyms, swimming pools, leisure centres are permitted to open for individual training only with protective measures. However, other indoor sporting activities including matches, group/team training and exercise/dance classes are not permitted. Information on the public health measures including indoor events and sporting events and exercise can be found at: https://smex-ctp.trendmicro.com:443/wis/clicktime/v1/query?url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.gov.ie%2fen%2fpress%2drelease%2f7894b%2dpost%2dcabinet%2dstatement%2dresilience%2dand%2drecovery%2dthe%2dpath%2dahead%2f&umid=760ec251-8bc3-4797-95d1-4d32daac4775&auth=6872f6337a9b3dc6b8deb7cd57f4474464102c3f-e80d3860d80c91db2ba0884730acf9253dd7a687

To maintain our momentum, we need to continue to follow the public health guidelines in these coming weeks. Practicing those individual everyday measures is what will secure Ireland’s recovery from the pandemic.

I trust the above is of assistance.

I'm really hopeful that in September we will have a roadmap for what it will take for indoor sport to resume again legally. It's important that businesses are allowed to get out of the space they're in at the moment, where many are effectively being forced into breaking or fudging the law in order to survive.

At this point, having seen the numbers availing of the vaccination programme and the other activities being allowed, surely there's no reasonable excuse to keep people from practicing indoor sport?

High vax rates

Low hospitalisations and ICU incidences and slow growth in the former (with no real raise in the latter)

What's the problem? Let people roll!

Yeah, I was quite struck by figures in the Irish Times that say that nearly half (40.3%) of 18-24 year olds are fully vaccinated, and 24-49 it is 67.5%. Obviously that'll go up for both cohorts and there are a lot more people with 1 dose at the moment.

In fairness that was the plan all along, to let the vaccine program progress. They wanted for as long as possible to try to get the most people double jabbed as they could before allowing risky behaviours, but now we are heading in the right direction AND they also have to factor in the reality that people are training in facilities that are open illegally. I'm sure it's not just BJJ that's doing it, we know other indoor sports (At least the commercially run ones) are doing it too.

I still think the use of Covid certs for indoor sports makes sense, frankly. It would be unpopular with a minority, but so what. Get double jabbed, show the Cert to your gym just once, and away you go.

I was training last night and I took a little straw poll to see who was double-jabbed.

Everyone. Every single person training last night has been fully vaccinated.

The latest stats show an 89% uptake in adults of dose 1 so far. That is insane! Add to that those with immunity having had Covid within the last 6 months........

I think it's time for a bit of common sense to be honest.

Nabbed my blue belt last night boyos! A nice little surprise after the extended Covid layoff.

Chuffed!

• Advertisement

I see Sports Ireland is circulating a petition to have indoor sports come back on 6th September for pods of six.

Not sure I can get too enthusiastic about this as a measure because our vaccination rates are getting so high it seems like it's pointless. If 80%+ of people training are double vaxxed, and we could make it 100% of people if proof of vaccination was required, would that not be a more effective measure, and one that is actually less headache for everyone involved?

Separately I read that NPHET are pushing for no new relaxation of measures until, effectively, mid to late October, when the 16+ vaccination program will be totally complete. That has a ring of truth about it.

It looks like its set for the 20th of September back indoors. Hopefully it lasts a bit longer than last time!

Yes... And I note that it's without restrictions if everyone is fully vaxxed... But if it's mixed then it's pods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I started back last Wednesday, I adhered to all the restrictions and done my part but quite frankly, when I saw the crowds at Croker, that was the final straw. The fact that you can go to a pub and drink yourself senseless (if you have been vaccinated), but you can't do something that's actually healthy and beneficial, is just mind-boggling.

I have been 100% compliant with the restrictions as I want to be a part of the solution, not the problem. I know many clubs that never really stopped, they just went off the radar, but I was never a part of that. I believe in the vaccines and I believe the restrictions were necessary, in the beginning. I have been hit hard by this pandemic... my business has been knocked back 5 years, if not more, but I sucked it up for the greater good.

Now, the restrictions make no sense at all and I can't rely on our elected officials to make the right calls because they only seem to be focused on those who shout the loudest, or those who lobby the most. I couldn't care less about the pubs, going to festivals, going to matches, etc - all I want is to keep myself healthy and train. When I can't trust our elected officials to make the calls, then I am going to make them myself.

I posted about clubs reopening but, on reflection, I deleted it. I'm not a club owner and since the situation seems to be resolving itself at this stage, it's all good.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Advertisement

Never as happy as I was today to wake up in bits, with a load of mat burn

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rondog

Have been Diagnosed with a pinched nerve in the shoulder.Pain in the.......

Was getting some momentum going in training and really enjoying it.

Im seeing a physio but was wondering if anyone had a pinched nerve previoulsy?WHat action they took?

Its an annoying feeling having pins and needles down the arms and the shoulder pain that goes with it.Im wondering if people returned from a PN or if htey gave up?

Cant give you and medical advice but only my own experience.

I had a trapped nerve in my neck, which led to a weakness in my right arm, had pins and needles in my little and ring finger. Mine stems from my neck/shoulder (winged scapula) which I've injured too many times to remember. I stuck to the exercises from the physio religiously and I'm back to where I was before the previous injury. I still get neck/shoulder pain from time to time and I don't think I'll ever be 100% but I've no weakness or numbness any more.

To clarify- have you got a diagnosis that what's going on is cervical radiculopathy?

You're not going to be able to get medical advice on the forum, but yeah, there are a few people in the Irish BJJ scene who have continued training after a cervical disc bulge or even full-on herniation. Some of them managed their problems with conservative treatment, some of them got cervical discectomy, fusion etc.

But yeah, also some people do quit BJJ because of disc issues, that's an option.

Yes,had a diagnosis from a medical professional that its CR,not looking for any advice on training or anything else,just wondered if people had this condition previously and if they threw in the towel or took steps to get back on the mats.

Be good to hear from people who had CR and what steps they took,i wont be taking these steps as what to do to recover (Have a good physio whos helping me out), and how long it took them.Basically just peoples experiences .

• Advertisement

I'll DM you, but yeah, I came back after a few years off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I went back after the covid layoff last month. Was great to be back, loved the atmosphere in the gym again, seeing all the old heads, and having a laugh with the coach. Got manhandled by everyone but its all good, as to be expected after a year and a bit off the mats. A few weeks back, i break or fractured a rib wile rolling. Not sure which as i didnt get an xray of it, but its definitely one or the other. Almsot 4 weeks later now and still hurts just lying down. I tried doing some bench pressing yesterday and the pain in my side literally just lying on my back was bad enough that i had to stop. It sucks, im 42 now, and only train as a hobbyist as i love the sport, im not competitive, just enjoy training and learning, but injuries like this have me questioning if its all worth it sadly. Think if i do go back after this im probably one more bad injury away from retiring altogether

IN Fairness, its not a great idea to go training with a fractured/broken rib.

Would you not get it professionally diagnosed and then rest up until it heals and slowly return to training.

At our age,40+ we need to listen to our bodies and train within our capacity if we want longevity.

Im older than you and try to reduce the number of hours i roll and if there anything niggling me I get it checked out and rest up until it clears.

Currently training thru a pinched nerve but have drastically reduced intensity and time on the mat.

Sorry, maybe i worded that wrong, i got my rib jacked up 2 weeks after going back to training. The pressure of having anyone on my chest would be way too much to bear at the moment. Havent been able to train since. All ive been doing is a bit of light weightlifting or bodyweight exercises in the meantime.

Bruised / fractured ribs are super common, I've had them three times. Each time, the first 2-3 weeks feel like there's no way I could return to the mats. I remember driving home one day and even changing the gear in the car was making me wince, it's one of those injuries that can affect everything you do. But around the 3-4 week mark things should start to look up.

If it's particularly bad it's possible that it's more of an intercostal tear, ironically those can be more painful than a facture. The treatment is the same for any of them though - just time, basically.

Although uncomfortable, it's not a serious injury that is going to retire you - would be more worried about serious knee, shoulder or spinal injuries on that score.

Yeah i had bruised ribs before. Was uncomfortable but nothing terrible. This was definitely a fracture or a break tho (i didnt get it xrayed as i figured theres not much can be done for it either way). 5 weeks later and im only able to lie on my left side in bed now. I know its not a retirement injury alright, its more just at the age im at these things take so long to heal, im missing out on regular gym time, the wife has a chuck liddel esque look in her eye when i mention im going back to training.. and being a pure hobbyist, you start to wonder if its worth it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi guys, Hope you don't mind me jumping in with a question. I started my 9 and 11 year old kids in our local BJJ club about 3 years ago, they have both progressed up one belt to Grey/White and love the sport. Because of Covid their first competition was cancelled and they were bitterly disappointed. Finally this week they got a chance to compete and the whole day turned into a disaster. Oldest guy was supposed to compete at 34kg but when we weighed him he was 34.3kg and they disqualified him, he was devastated and the guys running the comp were quite rude about it, I asked politely if they could bump him up to 40kg and I was told emphatically no and the guy turned his back and walked away, zero manners. 

Ok this was my fault for not watching his weight even though we putt him in at 34 kg 7 weeks ago, so we just accepted it as hard as it was

What really bothered me was the youngest son who made the weight was paired up with a Grey/Black belt who has had 12 previous competitive rolls and won 10 with 6 submissions, my sons the grey/white belt was very nervous for his first big competitive roll and it showed, the gulf in skill level was evident in the first 10 seconds and it only lasted 40 seconds ending in a swift armbar. Now I accept its a contact sport and I'm not complaining about him getting roughed up but surely this kind of miss matching shouldn't happen, my son was humiliated and in tears and its taking a lot from us as parents to try and convince him to not quit the sport altogether. Surely this is dangerous, my son is by all reports decent at his own level and I'm pretty sure he'd have held his own with another grey/white belt. 

My question is, is this normal practice at competitions or was it a case of greed that they had no one to match him with so instead of giving a refund they put him with a far more experienced kid two belts higher?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Iguarantee

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear your boys were disappointed, even competing as an adult can be quite stressful so I can only imagine how they felt. I appreciate that kids were involved here, and it would be nice to have a grey area in these situations so that they can experience competition in a positive way.

In BJJ competitions, to keep things as fair as possible the belt, age and weight system is used. I have never run a BJJ competition, but I've competed and been part of the competition staff. There is a significant amount of organisation in running a comp, though the SmoothComp site has made it way easier than it used to be. You're situation with the weight allowance is likely one of a hundred requests the organiser received on the day. Given how much organisation goes into a competition, I can understand why the organiser disqualified your son, but I can't comment on their people skills though, as I wasn't there.

Regarding weights, as an adult there is generally zero allowance/tolerance with weights, you are either the correct weight or you're not. For kids it's a bit more of a grey area as, in my view, kids shouldn't be cutting weight whatsoever. If you're 0.5kg above a weight bracket then just go for the next bracket. In a practical sense, the organiser could have asked the other kid parent(s) if they were ok with fighting your son even though he was 0.4kg above the limit, unless the bracket was stacked, the other kid was probably disappointed that he didn't get to fight too. The weights are also there for safety, 0.4kg at adult level is (usually) negligible, however 0.4kg at 30kg could be significantly more.

For future competitions, I would suggest you only enter your sons into weight divisions they are guaranteed to make. This rules out any chance of weight related disappointment and also gives you and your son the control, as opposed to potentially relying on the benevolence of the tournament organiser on the day, which I can assure you is usually in sparse supply.

Regarding belt levels/experience, the belt levels are a guide rather than a hard and fast rule. For example, I could be a new blue belt and could very well compete against someone that got their blue belt 3 years ago and has won medals up and down the country. That can happen at any belt level. It's up to the opponents coach to decide when to promote. I don't know what the criteria are for kids belt levels but my own experience with adult BJJ is that belt promotions are few and far between i.e. there's no set timeframe or number of fights that qualifies you for promotion. This can result in some large disparities in ability/experience within the same belt level; I've been both the giver and receiver of a one-sided smashing in competition, it's just part of the BJJ game, at adult level anyway.

I would have a chat with your sons coach RE the belt levels in in kids divisions. I'd want my kids to be genuinely challenged, but only in a safe environment. Hopefully the coach will offer some insight into kids belts & divisions that can alleviate your concerns and also manage you and your sons expectations for the next competition.

Thanks for the detailed response @Iguarantee its very much appreciated. The weight issue I get, definitely a safety issue and I take full responsibility. however, if they are that concerned about safety how did they allow a complete novice for his first fight compete against a kid that has had a dozen competitive fight? Surely this is just as dangerous? I was part of the amateur boxing scene in Dublin for many years as a teenager and beyond and have close relatives who coach and there is no way in hell that a kid boxing for the first time in a tournament would be paired up with a kid who has had 12 fights, even 35 years ago when I competed it didn't happen.

How would the tournament organiser know how many fights someone would have had?

There are people at my belt level with hundreds of fights at that level, and there are people with none. Typically it’s the gender, belt, age and weight of each competitor that groups them together. Some tournaments use broad experience levels instead, for example: grappling industries tournaments say you’re “advanced” (the highest level) after three years of training. Most people are still white or blue belts after 3 years, hardly advanced.

• Advertisement

How do you think I found out how many fights the kid had, it was easy, all there online. You're saying pairings are done by age, belt and weight and yet the other kid was two belts higher. I personally think it was a case of no kids signed up at his belt or skill level so rather than give a refund they found the closest match. A combination of laziness, not bothering to check if it was my kids first fight and the other kids 12th and greed, not wanting to give a refund. I totally get your point about people with the same belt colour yet different skill levels given that one can hold a certain belt for years. Using the boxing as an example again, the whole ethos behind coaching is to develop and encourage children to love and enjoy the sport and some go on to excel at it, now if we were to be lazy and greedy about it and just throw kids in with whomever for their first few fights children and parents would become disillusioned with the sport and many would give up altogether. There needs to be better regulation in kids BJJ, complete novices should never be paired up with kids who have had 12 fights and won 8, if the comp holders cant find a suitable match the kid should receive a full refund. The hypocrisy of disqualifying kids for weight in the name of safety and in the same breath allowing a complete novice fight like that.

Didn't cop the belt difference as I've no idea what the structure of kids belts are.

My own presumption: The organiser was busy running a tournament. They joined two divisions to give both kids a fight.

Personally, I'd direct an email to the tournament organiser and I'd ask why mismatching belts are paired up, particularly in kids divisions.

Short of that or short of a satisfactory resolution or explanation, I suggest you don't use that organiser/organisation again.

If its the comp I am thinking of (and the timing is right), this isn't the first time bad mismatches have happened. In a previous comp, a white belt I train with who had no previous competition experience was paired with a guy who had been training MMA for about 5 years. Net result, my team mate got a spiral fracture in his arm after his opponent hit a very fast americana from scarf hold - he didn't have time to tap.

When I saw the footage, I knew this guy wasn't a white belt and a quick bit of digging confirmed my suspicions. I know the organisers are not responsible for sandbagging, but if they are running a competition and charging a decent entry fee, they need to be checking. The worst part was they had no insurance, my team mate was told to talk to his instructor and claim off his club and then when he pressed them, was told he signed a disclaimer - he had to get a load of pins in his arm and was out of work for months. I wouldn't go near their competitions.

Sorry to hear about your pal, that sounds awful. This was exactly my point earlier, safety of children should be paramount and greed and laziness will eventually get someone hurt never mind kids giving up after a mauling.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Under the kids belt system they were the same belt level. It's grey belt, doesn't matter what version of grey belt it is they're all under the same division. That's how it work all the way up the kids levels. If they had a division for every increment within a kids belt level then the brackets would be small and time wise the competition would take too long to run.

It is tricky though and I find the kids competing more nerve wracking than doing it myself. My 7 year old had her first comp a few months back (grey white), round robin and she was grouped with a while belt, two full grey belts and a grey black. The grey black belt kid had done super fights etc. so it was always going to be an up hill battle, he destroyed everyone in the group, the refs were great though and we're on top of the action preventing any potential injuries.

Reading that I was wondering if they referee to a orange bent or a grey/blavk belt?

If two people enter the same division they’ll be matched up. The experience they have is not a factor. 12 matches is not a lot, you’re son will be there is no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Had my first experience last night with BJJ. To be honest I know absolutely nothing about it. The sum total I know about it is the occasional listening to Joe Rogan talk about how much he loves it, or that old article about it called "The pleasure of drowning" by Sam Harris. (https://www.samharris.org/blog/the-pleasures-of-drowning). So you could not get a more naïve and ignorance first timer than I was last night if you tried I think.

I wanted to sign my kids up to the local school and they talked me into doing it too. So in the interest of getting them into it, I accepted. At the advanced age of 43 and with a bit of a beer belly. School is not bad. You sign up and you can attend any of the lessons they do on anything and just use all their gym equipment. They do kick boxing, Krav Maga, Muay Thai, MMA, normal boxing, power yoga and a few other things for example.

Overall it was a fun experience. Painful but fun.

The worst part was feeling a bit of an idiot. The teacher would demonstrate a move and then we were meant to pair off and take turns doing that move on each other. And I was simply not getting it sometimes. Being shown how to do something about 10 times and then each time when it came to do it, I was getting it badly wrong or forgetting whole parts of it.

Having done a little Karate as a kid I did not expect the final 20 minutes of the lesson which is basically you go full on roll. So for 15 minutes I had three opponents for 5 minutes each. To say I had my ass handed to me would be an understatement. Which, being first day, is to be expected. But amazingly that is a lot of fun. Being manipulated like an old g.i. joe toy and finding yourself in seconds going from being in a stand off position to being on the ground getting chocked out from behind....

I can see how it would put people off but I was popping up again after tapping out saying "again!" because I wanted to see how that had just happened. At one point I was slammed down in a completely unexpected way and was quite rattled but I popped up again happily enough. The other guy asked if I was ok to go on. Think he was half impressed I was more than happy to do so. And my the end of the third session me and my final opponent were knackered and barely able to get up again. But I could tell when I did get up he was looking at me with a look of "Oh no" because he did not have another round in him and I did. So endurance-wise I was quite impressed with myself given the belly and my only other exercise in life is a 2 or 3 times weekly 12k run.

But the shock for me came with my second and third opponent. I asked them how long they had been doing this and they said it was their third lesson. I barely learned anything in my first lesson. How were these guys getting all kinds of moves and choke holds on me after three lessons? One of them did add "And a LOT of you tube videos". Can that make that big a difference? I went in almost entirely blind and ignorant about the sport. So even if I did manage to get someone down on the ground I did not even know what to do with them once they were there or what I was meant to be going for.

So if I am going to keep going to this school (signed up for the initial three months anyway) I would like to augment my progress as much as I can and not be as awful as I was last night. So any input welcome :) Even if I quite after the paid for three months I would like to feel I got as much from the time as I could.

Hey man. Love reading the above! BJJ is very addictive. There are many people on this forum who are much much more experienced than I am, but let me give you the point of view of someone who, even though I have a blue belt, is essentially a glorified white belt..............

Feeling a bit of an idiot is completely normal for everyone in the room. If you're drilling with a higher belt, I guarantee you that even if they're not as confused as you when doing the technique, they don't see you as an "idiot". They see you as a training partner who they wish to help improve. Everyone in the room started exactly where you are and there will be no feeling of anyone being an idiot. Remember, learning Jiu Jitsu is like learning a language. If you were in language class, a fluent speaker would not expect you to be able to converse with them after their first class. It takes a while.

Feeling clueless while "rolling" is 100% normal. You will feel like this for a long long time. If you're the type who is popping up and wants to go again, you are the perfect type for BJJ in my experience. Why? Because this is going to happen to you for years and years. You will find that by the time your three months come to an end you might not feel like you've gotten any better but you definitely have. One of these days someone new will come in off the street and you'll realise you've been picking things up. SLowly and surely you'll get used to the positions and you will feel like you can handle yourself while rolling. I hear a lot of people say "it takes 6 months" but it's not a hard and fast rule.

Don't be afraid to ask your training partners about what's going on. If your partner catches you in a triangle, ask them what they did. The more you understand what you're getting caught in the more you can defend it when you see it again. Also, the more you know about it down the line when you start doing that to other people.

My top tips would be the following:

• Just turn up!
    • Control your breathing when rolling.
    • Just turn up!!
    • Get comfortable being uncomfortable. There are so many positions where you're not in danger but just feel very uncomfortable. If you can get used to these positions it'll go a long way.
    • You will have bad nights and that voice will pop up telling you that you suck and that you should give up. Ignore that idiot! He doesn't know what he's talking about. I have these nights all the time. Then I go training the following night, have a great night, and ever wonder why I even listened to that voice in the first place!
    • Just turn up!!!

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

@Mellor

"Reading that I was wondering if they referee to a orange bent or a grey/blavk belt?"

Apologies, I'm not sure I understand the question?

• Advertisement

First of all we’ll dine for giving it a go.

Secondly your experience is entirely normal. Feeling clueless, not sure what to do etc. Normal.

It feels hard at first to take in the 10 details you were shown. As you get better, it’s easier to watch the details, understand them and assemble them into logical groups. So now it’s only 3 or 4 moves.

Not sure what was going on with my typing there.

But what I was wondering was if the OP meant the kid one belt up was a yellow belt. Or if they meant grey belt vrs their kid with grey/white stripe.

Point being that grouping the different grey belts is normal and not really different ranks.

Hey. So due to life and work and time commitments I have not turned up for every class so far (its every monday and Friday) but I have had about 5 classes now I think. Missed last nights one due to my sons birthday. But Friday should be ok.

Some moves work out for me when we are drilling them in a lesson. Some I simply do not get for some reason. Even seeing the instructor do it slowly 5 or 6 times when I come to do it myself my brain is not able to translate what I viewed into actually doing it myself. So still have to fight that "idiot" feeling a bit.

Still enjoying it though and the kids have taken to it quite well too. During my class, which is after theirs, they stand to the side of the mats and mimic our class so learning along with us too. Which I think impresses the instructor who is used to kids who have to wait for their parents being rowdy and undisciplined.

Invested in Gis and everything (my class is every second week no Gi) so I think we are committed for the long term now. I was also about to buy a rowing machine for nearly 1500 euro but since the school has one, I use that so I see that as a saving too :)

Still quite impressed that people who have only had one or two classes seem to know quite a lot. Not sure if it's You Tube Videos or is it that they have come in from another discipline or is it just from watching actual matches. But they clearly know more about what to do than I do, and more than they could possibly have learned in a handful of classes. So always curious how they got this knowledge. Guess I just need to talk to them more :)

From experience, there is much in BJJ that isn't intuitive or natural to a beginner. Hip movement is a good example. It's a combination of following instruction from people more advanced than you and also just repeating the movement until you figure out what works and what doesn't work. It can of course be taught with granular detail, spending an hour purely going over the mechanics of a specific position is entirely possible, if not overkill for a beginner.

The idiot feeling, as you've called it, still persists throughout the belts, though it happens less frequently as you get higher up the ladder. Every day is a school day.

Patience is quite important in learning BJJ, and isn't something I've seen discussed very much. If you've got new people who have previously done skill based sports then they may very well know what it takes to learn, but rank amateurs who never did a day of exercise in their lives have a steep slope to climb, as they not only need to learn BJJ but they also need to learn how to learn.

Regarding people who know quite a lot after a handful of classes, it's often the case that they know just a little bit more than the person with less experience. If I've done an arm bar 20 times and you've only done it once I have an advantage. A person who has a handful of classes, or even a few months of training might have a solid grasp on certain moves & positions but if their opponent uses a technique they don't know, or simply defends successfully then the beginner has hit the limit of their understanding of BJJ. The difference between someone with a few months experience and someone with a few years experience is that the more experienced person will try something, fail, and then try another move, if that fails they'll try another move (or even return to the first move). for example, you're in their closed guard (you're on top) and they go for a kimura, but you defend, then they may well go for a guillotine, if you defend that they may try the kimura, or try a sweep etc.

Don't worry about how much or how little people know, there'll always be someone better or worse than you. At times in the past I used to equate success with having high percentage of success with submissions (true to a certain extent; if you're submitting people then you're "winning"). The problem occurs when you meet someone who is better at defending a submission than you are at apply them; what's your plan B? You'd better have one!

Focus on enjoying BJJ and enjoying the training. Unlike a video game, we will never complete BJJ, we'll all be dead and gone before we've figured out all the moves, all the variations on positions etc.

Missed two weeks of classes due to returning to Ireland for a holiday. Back home now and had first class last night. Very enjoyable. Focused mainly on a few defenses against, and escapes from, kimura.

The guy I rolled against after the class was on his second (recent) class. Said he had done about 6 months as a boy but stopped a long time ago. Again handed my ass to me. But I was trying to learn from what he was doing and wanted him to keep doing it. But by the 4th he was too exhausted to go on. Once again moderately impressed by my own endurance here. I was raring to go again and again and he was barely able to stand.

Still he was doing things to me I had not read about, seen on you tube, or seen in class before. So I have to figure out what he was up to now :) Addictive isnt it?

You'll find the endurance can really be your best friend. It's a specific kind of endurance.

A guy started in our place last week. Semi-pro rugby player, absolute unit and everything is power and strength. Trying to keep the guy in place is a nightmare and, because he's new, I didn't want to be putting myself at risk of injury.

But I knew that there was only so far into a round he could go before he starts gassing (we do 6 min rounds in my place). it's true what they say, fatigue makes cowards of us all. 3 mins in or so and he couldn't muscle out of things any more and it was a more level playing field.

Now, what do I do when he gains that endurance and has some skill........ i'll cross that bridge when I come to it 😂

• Advertisement

My endurance currently sucks b@ll$... I am going back with my parent club after being away since Dec 2019.

Basically, a mate had a club which was local to my new house and he couldn't run it anymore, so he asked if I would take it over. I did, then Covid hit about 4 months later. When we got back, the senior members didn't come back and it ended up being a glorified creche. I closed the doors last November and decided to take time out due to rising covid numbers and a torn Achilles which I had ignored until it started making my knee pop.

I went back to my parent club about 3 weeks ago and the lads I used to destroy are waaaay better, and my endurance is killing me. I have started to do more cardio at home as I know the stuff, my brain just isn't syncing with my body like it used to because I'm too tired. I used to fire through submission chains without thinking whereas now, I'm missing next moves and getting frustrated. It doesn't help that I am 45 tomorrow and need to shift about 2 stone.

I feel like I'm back at the level I was when I was a 4 stripe whitey :-(

Yeah but I think this is just a case of getting back on the horse. Once you get some of your fitness back, those submissions and chains will come with much less effort as yo won't have to force them.

We currently have a situation whereby our coach (black belt) didn't see eye to eye with the guy running the gym (purple belt...... it's a weird situation), so he left. Our gym is an affiliate of a bigger gym (not the one you're thinking of) and this rift lead to our coach falling out with the leader of the parent gym, which strenghtened his resolve, leading him to open his own gym only a few KMs away from the old place. It's been an absolute mess. He left months ago, and since then we've been coached by the purple belt.

Our coach's new gym opens next week and I and most of the coloured belts are going with him, but in the preceeding months of limbo the old club has felt like pergutory. No coloured belts turning up, new white belts coming in every week...... it's been weird!

Looking forward to getting back with the old coach, the old group of lads and getting back to "normal".

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Complete white belt here….

What sort of training is beneficial to supplement my training ?

Just started and was planning to do 2 sessions a week of BJJ and get a good swim/steam/sauna in also . I think swimming would bring on my cardio and keep damage to my joints to a minimum ?

Do you folks keep a notebook after each session and if so what kinda details do you make note of ?

Do any of you do things like the “yoga for BJJ” videos or any similar stretching/flexibility videos on youtube ?

if so, what are among the better ones that will serve me well ?

Thanks in advance .

Yoga for BJJ, btw

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCxXSonb3zhnlI-MGcD3eotw

For me, I don't do any specific supplemental exercise, I just try to fit exercise in where I can get it. If I need to go 5km to pick something up for example, I'll jump on the bike. I'd say swimming is ideal if you're looking to supplement but the correct answer is do another BJJ session if that's an option.

With regard to yoga, I've actually been meaning to start giving BJJ specific yoga a go for a while. Before lockdown I was doing a routine from a YouTube video 3-4 times a week and I really noticed a difference in my flexibility. In fact, others were even mentioning my improved flexibility. I really need to get back to it.

Also, yes I keep a notebook. Well, I actually keep a spreadsheet that I take notes on. It's very handy. Not only to take notes but to set goals.

For example, at the start of Jan I will figure out how many hours of BJJ I want to do over the next 3 months. I'll do the same for rounds sparred and I've started one now for "rounds with coloured belts". After each session, I fill in a box with how many hours I did, how many rounds I did and how many of them were with coloured belts.

I know it might sound silly, but you'd be surprised how many times I've almost missed training and thought "but I'm falling behind on the sheet, I have to go". Same with rounds. "I better go to this Open Mat, I need the rounds.". The coloured belt one is good too because it defeats that demon in my head who knows you're tired and says "go on, grab the new guy. That purple belt looking to make eye contact with you will give you a tough round. Forget that......"

On the sheet, I try take notes right after class when I can remember all the details. It's handy if you're doing the same technique in successive classes. Night one you might remember 80% of the details. On night two, you can keep your mind on the ones you missed and add them to you r notes the following day

There is a lot of useful supplementary training you can do.

Yoga, mobility work, stretching, swimming, running, rowing, weights, strength training, grip training, etc.

They will all help, but if you want to get better faster then the best way is more bjj. A 3rd day of training will be 50% more training, and likely progress.

That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t do the above, I just wouldn’t it at a time when there was class on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement