Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year olds able to change gender in Scotland

Options

Comments

Realistically, I'd say its more likely to have an activist who shares your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Except.nobody has said 4 year.olds understand changing sex, or approach their teachers privately. All made up by yourself as you need something to argue against.

I actually think you have no issue with the Scottish guidance. If you did you'd be able to argue against what's actually in there instead of inventing stuff about private conversations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well your point that nobody has a problem with 18-year olds identifying themselves as their preferred gender is absolutely and demonstrably untrue given we know that there ARE people for whom adults identifying as their preferred gender is a massive issue!

And it’s not that anyone is drawing the line at four year olds, that’s generally the age at which most children will start school, sometimes as late as five or six, but generally around four years of age, and some of those children are identifying themselves as transgender, or identifying themselves as their preferred gender, and the whole idea of the guidelines are to provide schools with the means to be able to support those children.

Your agreement simply isn’t required, nor are you being forced to enroll your own children in any schools which are inconsistent with your world view. The idea in any case of children learning about gender and identity and so on isn’t in any way different from exposing children to ideas which you do support, which other people disagree with.

I think arguments based upon the idea that children will invariably become transgender if they learn about the concept undermines how notoriously and naturally skeptical children actually are from an early age about concepts which they cannot relate to, which is why their favourite question is “Why?”, and their cognitive abilities with regards to skepticism are far greater than most adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I still haven't heard one alternative on how to actually help trans children, other than continuing the suppression or telling them they are wrong. Pretty crappy attitude for people who supposedly care about the children.

Well, in fairness, all I have heard from the other side is to accept that they are right and validify their belief that they can become the opposite sex by wishing it.

Pretty irresponsible attitude for people who claim to have the best interest for children's mental health

• Advertisement

Except, once again, this stuff has become established in both [some] secondary and third level schools in both the UK and the US. It's not paranoia to see the same acceptance being extended to kindergarten/preschool, when a proposal like this one is being put forward (especially when we consider the defense of it here on this thread). The social sciences whether that's feminism, race theory or gender theory have shown themselves very capable at getting political support to gain a position in education to promote itself.

And.. once again... the concern is more about what happens next. I honestly don't believe this proposal will be passed and implemented. There's not enough support yet for it in society... but it's a matter of testing the water to see what kind of reactions they get from it. Unless people voice their concerns, then such proposals will slip in... in limited scope at first, and then expanded to include a wide range of agendas. Just as we're now seeing various secondary schools teaching about transgenderism as if it's based on scientific fact, and encouraging it's acceptance within society. Irrespective of the downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Gatling - I too am beginning to wonder if anyone actually has experience working with or dealing with young children

10 years ,

And yet people are making stuff up like they actually know whats taught to preschool /primary school

If you don't have kids or experience with children in any education setting why try to dictate what you think actually happens

Thanks for the insight. Yeah your point of view totally makes sense and mine doesn't.... 👀😆

I'm still waiting for some statistics to show that this is an actual problem that many children directly experience (especially 5 year olds,)... as opposed to adults assuming that they're experiencing such suppression.

What makes you believe that 5 year olds are aware enough of their gender to be concerned? Or is this based on the claims of trans adults 'remembering' when they were 5 years old?

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the adults behind the proposals were once children themselves and are making the proposals based upon their own experiences of education and indeed the lack thereof… just a hunch mind.

• Advertisement

by that logic it mean most people here don't have a right to comment because they don't have experience of trans either.

Luckily I have both so I will chat away to myself!

Thanks for your input.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣....

And how do you know who has experience with trans (what ever that kind of experience means ) .

It's obvious that you don't have experience with children or working with children,based off your posts .

So by your account your a self appointed trans expert because you claim to looked up trans online .

Imagine a world where the internet doesn't exist or people don't talk

I'll quote your stealth edit in full (EDIT - except I wont because the new boards.ie doesn't quote the edits!). Do not presume you know things about me. You know absolutely fuk all about me, my family, my personal situation or anything. Additionally, I don't need to explain sh!t to "Gatling from the internet" in order to have an opinion. Same reason I don't expect you to be explain anything (aren't you also a self appointed expert - or does having a well timed ride give you more credence?).

In fairness, you presumed that you should "talk to yourself" because you were the one with all the trans experience and others hadn't the vast knowledge you repeatedly claim to have.

You've consistently made vague insults about posters who disagree with you, repeatedly said how bored you were and how you were going to leave the thread.

If you can presume things about others, I can't see why you get all high and mighty and sweary when someone presumes something about you.

I'm not saying I agree with anything or everything said against you, but you are inviting it.

Ah maybe so - although I haven't really made insults - apologies if I have or it's been taken that way. I'm just not interested in the usual roundabout discussion points, and it winds me up when things get to a petty level (yes, my own behaviour too!).

My point tho - it seems to be a criteria (from @Gatling and a couple of others that dropped in) to "have experience with 4 year olds" - which I think is nonsense, but which I also do.

I was using @Gatling's same logic to say (mockingly) in that case, we should extend that to people who either are or have experienced issues directly around being trans (which I also have). I don't actually believe that to be the case and the discussion should be open to all.

@km

Self appointed expert ,no but unlike yourself I actually know what about I'm talking about from being a parent and from my career ,

Hence why I was able to tell you that children in preschools are not taught about gender identity or preferred pronouns .... Or if a child a boy puts a dress on during play time nobody and I mean nobody suddenly thinks that boy is trans or gay ,the same when girls come in wearing a full football kit , jersey ,shorts and socks no one Jumps up and claim this girl is trans and a lesbian ....

Now throwing a hissy fit oh you don't know me ,I know your claims and passive aggressive behaviour under the guise I'm only seeking answers .....

I had trans experience (what ever that is) you read an article ,you pmed or dmed someone it's doesn't change a thing in this discussion

Seriously - let it go. You are making assumptions here - I didn't at any point say I was "only seeking answers" on this thread (maybe I did a year ago on the thread you got banned from, because I was genuinely seeking answers and understanding - and that was genuine, not passive aggressive at all - again YOUR assumption and bias at play).

Additionally - you are trivialising my own experience based on YOUR assumptions. For all you know, I might actually be trans (as if anyone would actually admit that on this place..).

It would be a bit like me saying "Well done, you managed to get someone pregnant, but it doesn't make you an authority in any way" (it actually doesn't, its just your own experience of parenthood, one of many billions on this planet).

Your clumsy stereotypes about boys and dresses are completely missing the point.

Anyway if I get the gist of your points, you don't seem to believe in transgender children and want to keep the current status quo - correct me if I am wrong and lets leave the assumptions aside and we can draw a line under this?

The original point about having experience with young children, was the claim by a variety of posters that 4-5 year olds would have be able to understand and decide that a particular gender was not for them. ie, a 5 year old girl knowing enough about both the female and male gender, to say that she was not a girl but in fact a boy.

A number of posters who have been very pro-trans in the past have asserted that very young children would be aware enough to determine this. Others felt that children that age had other considerations to worry about. Personally, I don't believe that children that age have anything but the most basic understanding of gender, and that most of this is adults projecting their own interests on to children.

I don't have children. Never wanted children... although I did a year teaching kindergarten as part of my teaching practice. Interesting experience.. so yeah, I would call into question any claims that children that young would have the awareness to distinguish the differences between boys/girls to the point where it would matter for them to claim/demand a change in gender. It would be different for secondary school students since they've experienced puberty, and are aware of what's going on in our society in terms of gender, along with a fair understanding of how it all would affect them personally.. However, we are still concerned with very young children... not teens.

What's your experience with kids Gatling.

According to you 3/4 year olds don't use pronouns and only refer to their friends by name.

Anyone with kids would know this is nonsense. So I guess you dont have kids right?

Why are you in this thread then?

@LLMMLL why am I on this thread ...

According to me and thousands and thousands and thousands of others 3 -4 year olds do not use their preferred pronouns in preschool ,

In preschools they boys and girls are thought to call their friends by their names not their preferred names but their own names given to them by their parent/s ,when dealing with conflict resolution he did this they are taught to use the other Childs name , not to point and say he or she ,they are told to say Johnny or Mary did this .

No preferred pronouns just names of their friends and families and pets ,

How difficult is that to understand ....

It's preschool

• Advertisement

Jaysus that's a bizarre Mish mash of ideas.

Firstly you throw in preferred pronouns but it's completely irrelevant as what you actually meant was that in some preschools kids are taught to use names instead of ANY pronouns but only during conflict resolution.

And what teachers try and teach kids to do has nothing to do with their ability. So kids understand and use pronouns at age 3/4 but you're saying for a particular context (conflict resolution) they are educated out of it.

So it seems you agree with me that kids understand and use pronouns.

However you seem to think it's ok for teachers to force kids not to refer to boys as "he".

What a crazy mass of contradictions.

Whatever anyone’s experience of children, it doesn’t matter to the reality that there ARE children at four and five years of age starting in schools who have already formed solid opinions about their gender identity.

They’re rare, in the same way that two-year old children who play the violin are rare, and because of the fact that they are rare, but increasing in number, teachers have to have guidelines on how to address the issues raised by their presence in schools. They like every other child in the school have a right to an education, a right to feel safe in school, and all that other good stuff, same as every other child.

The guidelines disseminated to schools in Scotland by the DOE aren’t suggesting any changes to the curriculum, or suggesting that children be taught anything they aren’t aware of already, or that they wouldn’t be taught anyways as part of any lesson on learning to accept people who are different from them in some way, or in many ways. It’s not just an academic exercise any more, it’s a reality that schools in many countries are having to come to terms with.

@LLMMLL completely irrelevant as what you actually meant was that in some preschools kids are taught to use names instead of ANY pronouns but only during conflict resolution.

And what teachers try and teach kids to do has nothing to do with their ability. So kids understand and use pronouns at age 3/4 but you're saying for a particular context (conflict resolution) they are educated out of it

that's some amount of reaching and mental gymnastics to try say what I meant ,

But it's hardly surprising now

Well you either meant that kids never use.pronouns or you mean that they're told not to by teachers when arguing with another child.

One is crazy nonsense and the other is irrelevant to the discussion.

Which one did you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

Why is it necessary for a child to change pronouns?

For instance: pink toys are often associated with girls and blue toys are associated with boys.

What's wrong with girls playing with boys toys and other stereotypes? Why does the additional assumption that they must be "trans-" brought into the equation.

One of the problems is that we've been trying to move away from stereotypes about men/boys and women/girls. But this kind of trans-ism reinforces exactly the kind of stereotypes we've been trying so desperately - and rightly - to move away from.

There is nothing in genes that say all women must have long hair, lipstick, and a handbag. Yet this kind of stereotype is reinforced by trans- activists who cling to these stereotypes when trying to argue that this is what they "feel" like.

It's not necessary for the child to be assumed to be trans-. It's not necessary for pronouns to be changed. Let's take a step back and assume that the child is simply behaving as a child, and not how adults are interpreting their actions to be otherwise.

@Anne_Widdecombe this exactly..

It's not necessary for the child to be assumed to be trans-. It's not necessary for pronouns to be changed. Let's take a step back and assume that the child is simply behaving as a child, and not how adults are interpreting their actions to be otherwise.

People randomly presuming a child is trans if they play with dolls or dress in a football kit in preschool ,

Then looking for gotcha moments 😆😆😆

OEJ, you say that it's rare, but now the numbers are increasing. Any idea why that would be?

What has changed to influence children that age to be aware of gender to the extent where they can understand the difference between the genders (beyond the obvious physical differences) and know that they should be a boy instead of a girl.

I don't think anyone has said that any child shouldn't receive an education, be denied the right to feel safe in school, etc. same as any other child. I can't recall any post seeking to persecute any child who seeks to be another gender. It's more the questions as to whether this actually happens much, and whether it makes sense to introduce other children that age to the idea of choosing their gender, when the majority do not seek such a change naturally.

To ensure that no child is hiding their desire to change gender, there would need to be an effort to introduce all children to the concepts involved, and reassure them all that it's perfectly safe/acceptable for them to make such a change... which, in turn, encourages children, who may never have considered such a thing, to do it. Maybe only a few children choose that change as a result, but it's still affecting children during one of their more vulnerable periods of development.

I know you've never liked the slippery slope or what comes next argument, but I will say it anyway. The guidelines are a first step, and as people become more comfortable with the idea of gender change for young children, we will see further initiatives to promote it in schools. That's been the way with other educational systems/institutions, starting first with the universities, and then making it's way into secondary schools.

So, you have no concerns as to what happens next when we know so little about the after effects in the long term? How it will change their lives through personal development, their growth as children/teen/adults, and their entry into society? None of that concerns you, when we don't have a society that welcomes the trans situation with open arms, and there are a lot of people who are hostile to the overall situation?

What happens in a decade or two decades time, if we get heaps of science/psychology showing just how dangerous the trans way of life is. Just shrug and say we had peoples best interests in mind? Wouldn't it make more sense, when it comes to children, to err on the side of caution and leave the gender change to the extreme minority who manifest this naturally, without any initiatives or exercises to make others aware of the option?

I think the numbers are increasing due to greater awareness among adults of issues relating to gender and so on. These ideas have existed throughout history, but because people were for the most part secluded from the rest of the world so to speak, they didn’t really know any better, and didn’t want to be sent to the nuthouse so they kept shtum. Effectively there were a number of people who felt the same way, but didn’t talk about it because they were aware of the fact that anyone who did was generally sent to the nuthouse. Granted they all weren’t sent to the nuthouse depending upon their position in society where some people were celebrated for what were seen as their eccentric behaviours. Oscar Wilde is at least one well-known example who pushed it just that little bit too far, was sent to prison and died a pauper in Paris.

What’s changed is simply greater acceptance with each generation, and the advent and growth of the internet and social media has enabled ideas to be disseminated, shared and participated in at a faster rate than ever before, can find an online community for literally anything these days, which means people are no longer feeling like they are alone in their thoughts as they once were. Take for another example the rise in the number of people who are no longer identifying as religious in greater numbers than at any time in history. They always existed, but knew better to keep shtum, because they were aware of what happened to heretics. They didn’t just get “cancelled” 😒

When it comes to children who are transgender, it’s not so much that they are aware of the differences between boys and girls to the extent that they have the same understanding or awareness as adults have of the concept. Their understanding is generally limited to “well I know I’m not a boy”, or girl, as the case may be. Externally for sure, they’re aware that they possess the requisite physical characteristics of their sex, but in their minds it’s an entirely different perspective. Their parents politics are irrelevant, and many children will choose to keep their thoughts to themselves, which either causes them no distress at all, or can cause them considerable distress, depending upon their environment and the society they are raised in. Consider for example the case of one father who when his son didn’t start bleeding at puberty, brought him to the doctor thinking there must be something wrong with him -

The point I’m making is that if one doesn’t know any better, how would they actually know any better if they were never introduced to the concept in the first place? There’s absolutely an argument to be made for ignorance is bliss, and believe me I’d be far happier with not knowing and not being aware of half the shyte that swirls around in my brain, but if what I didn’t know was causing me distress because I couldn’t understand it and I thought there must be something wrong with me on the basis that I don’t observe it in anyone else, I’d probably want to know more, while keeping it to myself for fear knowing that people tend to fear what they don’t understand at best, and seek to eliminate any evidence at worst, a la John Money back in the day and what he did to David Reimer, then tried to cover up the evidence and managed to convince the families involved to lie and all.

It’s true I don’t like the slippery slope, but I would argue in this case that the slide has been rather liberally greased decades ago, and we’re well down the slope at this point, nearing ever closer to the point of acceptance of gender identity and less discrimination. I say less discrimination because I’m not lodged so far up my own ideological fundament that I imagine we will ever reach a point in society where what will always be a vanishingly small minority of any given population will ever be fully accepted in society. They’re always going to be rather like atheists in that respect - people who tend to be perceived within Western society at least with a rather unhealthy degree of suspicion and untrustworthiness based upon nothing more than good old prejudice.

I do have concerns of course, particularly in relation to people who are openly hostile towards people who are transgender, I mean if someone’s a cnut fair enough, I can understand why people would be hostile, but of the people who are transgender that I’ve known, being transgender wasn’t what caused them to become hostile towards others, it was the way they were treated by other people. I have no time whatsoever for anyone who takes their shìt out on other people, no matter how other people treat them, it’s not an excuse for them to take it out on other people. I have plenty of other concerns too, but I prefer to keep things in perspective. You won’t find for example the people championing detransitioners and claiming autism could be the source of a child’s confusion about their gender identity championing this particular individual who claims that being cured of autism led them to detransition -

Eccentric, or your garden variety fruitcake? Tbh I can’t make a call either way, but they’re completely harmless in any case, unlike anti-vax types for example who absolutely do encourage other people to put their lives at risk.

What happens in a decade or two decades time is that with heaps of science/psychology and let’s be honest a greater degree of exposure to people who are transgender by way of popular media (though whoever thought “it’s raining them” was a good idea will be long forgotten about and we can pretend it never happened), is that people will gain a greater understanding of what’s currently all a bit of a mystery, and frankly and understandably frightens the bejesus out of most people, particularly when it involves anything to do with children, which is why the Daily Mail in reporting on the guidelines chose to focus specifically on four year olds - they knew exactly how to put the frighteners in people who are susceptible to that kind of behaviour. The likes of the Daily Mail could never be accused of having anyone else’s best interests in mind but their own, and I don’t expect that will change any time soon. Just as there have always been people who are transgender in society, there have always been many more naysayers and predictors of all sorts of doom and gloom and every indication of the downfall of society.

In that sense, while I’m all in favour of the idea of ignorance is bliss for myself, I don’t think it’s ever a good idea for any society to remain ignorant, or for a small number of people to maintain an ignorance in society which is where they derive their power from. Organised religions have been doing that for millennia, and it’s generally never worked out well for anyone who wasn’t prepared to participate in upholding a narrative which in their minds made absolutely no sense whatsoever. But in Western society at least we’ve kinda moved on from drowning, hanging, executing, and nowadays people’s greatest fear is being “cancelled”. I reckon they’ll live if that’s the worst they imagine could ever happen to them.

• Advertisement

@[Deleted User] you will have the same people say transitioning as young as possible is a good thing because they subscribe to the taviststock institute ways , coach vulnerable young children how to ask for Puberty blocker including children who hadn't the ability to give informed consent for experimental treatments that can cause permanent physical and psychological damage ,

There's no lets just sit back and observe and wait for children to grow up and grow into to their own skins ,sure isn't it the same as givng a child life saving chemo when diagnosed with cancer,and linking it to gay men /boys coming out ,

Other's are saying to deny trans is to deny biology but yet the same types will tell you gender is just a social construct and a man can be a woman just by saying they are .

And gender is a broad spectrum ....

It's like lets have zero discussion ,let a minority push this agenda ,

The gas thing governments are trying to show how liberal they are , Scottish government looking for independence ,so let's promote these Ideological beliefs to gain votes , guarantee that you will find the likes of trans charity the mermaids have some involvement

Advertisement