Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

It was already noted a few weeks ago that Savage had popped up on Newstalk as a fill-in. The reason he is back is the communicorp suits that he was on bad terms with have left the building, I can't see Today FM reinstating a midmorning magazine show but I reckon he will fill in for Cooper in the future and get a weekend show on Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

Are Dermot & Dave not a midmorning magazine show?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Missing Ed for 7 tonight, not a single mention of Charlie Watts or the Rolling Stones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

There was on The Last Word, but yeah, not anything on Pamela Blake at all, unless I've missed it. You'd think there'd be some mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Eds on later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I think Dannyman was saying if Ed was on at 7 there'd be a lot of Rolling Stones and mentions of Charlie (which there was at 10) but because it's Pamela at 7, there was no mention of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Yeah but if Tom Drennin (spelling?) or some other of the various indy-voiced Lewis Capaldi clones died, then I'm sure she'd be all over that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Uptown Funk, at this stage Today FM play this song so much Bruno Mars is considering buying a another house.

wrecks my head

How they manage to squeeze it in between all the Dua Lipa tracks is impressive in fairness though.

Do you ever wonder how would things be right now if Ray Darcy never left Today FM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

So I am wondering.... 🤔

Ah I think Darcy saved himself by moving to RTE cos I wonder would TodayFM let him go anyway, cos he was becoming a paradoy of himself & so opinionated in his interviews. I am not saying he is great in RTE, but 1.5 hours on radio a day rather than 3 hours. It was time for him to do something new.

Anyone else got any thoughts on would he have moved to a different slot on TodayFM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd say if he stayed within the Comunicorp or whatever it's called now umbrella, he'd have been moved to Newstalk by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭nomoedoe

Ed was filling in for Fergal yesterday it was nice to hear him on in the afternoon but I actually miss his evening slot I still can’t get over they got rid of songs of praise it was perfect for a Sunday evening to just sit down and relax and enjoy some great music , I got a chance to listen to all of his new show Sunday last and while it was very good its just on too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭De Bhál

from a music selection point of view, he was the best DJ on the national airwaves. I still can't believe they moved him to 10 O clock or whatever hour that no one listens to the radio. His thing on a Sunday was great and usually coincided with me in a car driving back home after being down the country visiting parents.

Some other station should snap him up, they'd gain a large listenership through hiring him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

This. I'm a very regular listener, but while ESOP was perfectly timed for Sunday evening, the late start, with work on the Monday morning, means that more often than not I'll miss the last half hour or so. I saw from his playlist posted on social media I'd missed another couple of Lee Scratch Perry songs there last night towards the end. (And RIP Lee)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

I still don't get why they moved Ed on Sunday (& week nights), cos I would say a good few listeneres kept listening after 10pm when his show finished. I see his playlists but its too late to listen in. I imagine the number of texts/tweets etc that he gets for the new time has gone down.

Yes he is one of the best djs on the radio, he plays a great mix of music & his mannerism is just lovely to listen to. Its such a fecking shame!

AFAIK Ed also has a desk job in Today FM, so he's probably happy out.

Because Pamela Joyce is their flavour of the month at the moment so they had to find some daily slot for her. When you remember how quickly they discarded previous flavours of the month, Louise Duffy and Muranne O'Connell, she should enjoy it while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Not Tom Drennin but so much coverage on Sarah Harding's death. RIP Sarah but she's hardly a a legend in the music industry

It's a cancer death. As is pointed out Today FM has a strong female presence, most of those women would have grown up on Girls Aloud and be in the same age bracket as Sarah. Women, particularly in Ireland, have drawn a short straw when it comes to cancer detection, treatment and care. So when a cancer death like this occurs, women want to highlight to other women to not let it happen to them and get checked.

Music is secondary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It obviously is secondary, when they barely even acknowledged Charlie Watts death last week.

EDIT - I see that was the point of the initial discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

What do you mean by “have drawn a short straw when it comes to cancer detection, treatment and care”?

It's not my place to paraphrase the women in my life who I have lost and who have survived cancer treatment and this is not the correct forum for that discussion. Public radio is, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

You’re absolutely right. Apologies and sorry for your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I loved the radio more back around 6 or 7 years ago tbh.

I liked Ray on Today Fm.

I used to love Dermot and Dave when they were on 98fm. Anyone remember the guy they used to have one, pretending to be a chef or something. Always ended his bit with "everything's better with chocolate!"

Or maybe the radio wasn't more enjoyable back then, maybe I just associate it with periods in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I find that girl that presents the news on Ian Dempsey to have a really strange tone of voice for the news. It's like she's reading good news for the whole slot, if that makes sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Anyone find the liners really annoying?? where they promote programmes/sponsorship such as "...ON (pause) Today FM" or "....WITH (pause) Sky"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Totally agree! I can’t listen to her at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

I've been listening to Ian in the mornings a bit recently, she definitely is not an easy listen.

Iano seems to be just trying to fill air time too and seems like he's been made do some of that content creating stuff which doesn't suit him or his style at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

You. Mean. The. One. That. Pro. Nounce. Es. Ev. Er. E. Syl. A. Bel. Like. They. Are. In. Div. Id. U. Ally. Punc. Tu. Ate. Ed?

She pauses between every word, and some syllables, it's really annoying to listen to. Like trying desperately hard not to read a single word wrong or something? I thought in the first week she was on that it was nerves, but she's been there for ages now and still doing it. it's like my 5 year old nephew learning to read.

Previously with the old news readers, Ian used to have a bit of banter going on with them after the news, but that seems to rarely happen now. They did it for a bit with this new reader, but I've noticed in the last couple of months that it's basically stopped. I wonder is this a station decision to make it more formal, or what? It's losing personality by doing it anyway.

• Advertisement

Aren't the news bulletins shared with other stations now? Very like IRN and INN back in the day.

Advertisement