Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

It's rare enough to see a win like ours in 05 or Porto in 04. Generally the winners are very well resourced and have strength in depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Well yeah cos the better your team/squad the better your chances of winning naturally but as Ive said already with the champions league being such a high variance competition having the best team/squad doesnt guarantee that you win it whereas it generally does in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

How can psg turn down what is basically 220 million to loan mbappe for 1 season, the mind Boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Nah he would be behind Hendo, Fab, Thiago, Keita and Elliot tbf. We should only be interested in players that can improve the first team. Anyway we have no money. Klopp is also happy with his squad, he said so. This team won the league 2 years ago and have our rivals really improved? Nah. Just believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Shocking window for us

Top 4 will be a height of our ambition football moves quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

When you realise how little 220 million really means to their owners and the size of their egos, it makes a bit more sense.

They are disgustingly wealthy and with FFP dead in the water, they don’t need to pretend that PSG is a sustainable club in its own right without their investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's fine with me, we might be thanking our lucky stars in a few months.

Between Phillips and Gini it's really **** amazing to me how people can underestimate a player that can stay fit.

I agree with Origi and Phillips we shluld ve looking to get them off the books as soon as possible even if it means letting the contract run down

Origi was at his absolute maximum after the champions league final just let him move on for his own career,

Phillips will never have a run of game like last season again for us, So if nobody is willing to buy him now in what world are people living in to think we will sell him in the future, Absolute madness to give up his wages and make a transfer even more unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

We're slowly becoming a one man team for goals. If Salah goes down our season is over.

Before anyone comes in - can you really expect us to win big games or break teams down that park the bus without Salah?

• Advertisement

• Administrators Posts: 54,113 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

While signing players is not a guarantee to improve your team, usually it is, especially when you sign high quality players.

On the other hand, not signing anyone is pretty likely that you haven't improved your hand.

Are MC better than last season? Almost certainly. Are Chelsea better than last season? Almost certainly. Are Utd better than last season? Almost certainly. Are Spurs better than last season? Probably. Are Liverpool better than last season? Who knows, we're pretty much reliant on under-performers re-finding form and some young players stepping up.

There is a natural depreciation in the standard of a squad from year to year, without injecting fresh faces things will naturally decline. It is a fallacy to think things can stay the same and the same standards be maintained over the long term. As already demonstrated pretty well, this does not happen.

I think it'll be pretty obvious fairly early in the season that we're not in any title race this season. And again, it's really disappointing to end up here given where we were just 2 seasons ago. We had a squad that could have been the basis of sustained success but we have completely failed to build upon it.

And, on a further note, you can be sure that all those making patronising statements about "hysteria", "panic" etc will be the same people making posts come December about how the club could not possibly have forecast that player x would get injured, or player y would lose their form, and that our inconsistent form is down to pure misfortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

100%, I should have included losing Mo in there too. Very few players are but he is irreplaceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Don't know what's going on with this transfer window.

We are light in midfield and dear lord let's pray nothing happens to Salah.

Maybe there is a master plan but seeing every team strengthen around us is a worry going into a long hard season. The worry about getting a top for place so funds are available but look at Spurs, Leicester and even Arsenal. No problem spending.

Surely there is another player we could be getting that wouldn't be a surprise to see on the team sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I think this team can still challenge for the PL and go deep in the CL (depending on how the draws goes) this year and next but we're just not turning over enough players, every season we should be adding 3-4 players at a minimum to the squad to freshen it up, see if they're good enough while moving on the guys we find out aren't good enough. I'm including bringing in youth guys to see if they have what it takes. Jones and Elliott look like they have what it takes, both Williams don't look like they are near ready but maybe they could be PL players in the future. But it's now two of the last three summer windows where we have done very little

Since we won the CL we've bought - Sepp VDB, Minamino, Adrian, Tsimikas, Thiago, Jota, Davies, Konate.

Yes we won the league after the summer of only Sepp VDB was bought and I think we can still compete this and next year. But that is just not good enough for three summers and two winter windows. More future proofing/freshening of the squad needs to be done on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

We've 7 points after the first 3 games, I'd imagine most people would have taken us having that points total at the start of the season.

We've scored six and conceded 1.

All of our strikers have scored.

Our defense is back and the new lad Konate to come in.

We've actually looked decent in all the games we played except for the last 20 minutes against the current European champions where the lads were bolloxed.

It's not all doom and gloom.

• Advertisement

You have to temper that with the fact that we played a virtual cert for relegation, currently 19th, a team likely to be fighting for survival, currently 16th, and a likely title challenger who played with 10 men for the whole of the second half, 7 points would be the minimum expected by any of the top teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Everyone knows that we can't compete for the likes of Mbappe, Haaland, Kane etc., but I don't think anyone realistically thinks we were ever in the market for those players in the first place. We constantly hear that Klopp likes to work with a small squad, but, yet we have 3 or 4 players in the squad that he rarely uses/ will use or doesn't trust, Origi, Minamino, Philips, why don't they sell these players that he won't use and bring in even 1 player that he will at least use.

Also we don't really use the loan system to strengthen areas of the squad where we are weak and can't afford a replacement; had we not got Kabak in last season I doubt we'd have qualified for the top 4, so this proves that it can worthwhile. No one is asking the club to break the bank, but, I think our approach to the transfer market needs a little tweaking as the last few windows haven't been that inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I would disagree with the idea that we couldn't sign a Kane or Mbappe when the the fact is that we can go multiple windows with a zero net spend.

The difference comes down to we can, but we won't. Just like Levy could go nuts at Spurs if he wanted to but chooses not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Pat_bottom

The issue I see with the lack of signings is the club hasn't done anything to avoid another case of last season. only sign a young defender that has a bit of an injury record himself.

If one of the main attackers get injured for any deal of time then ye are short.

Same in midfield so its hard for anyone to take a manager or club serious for bemoaning injuries when there has been sfa done to build a team with strength in depth.

Same happened last year allow a defender to leave and not replace him until this season when they should of been replacing the midfielder they lost and adding a bit more in attack.

Since pool won the league every club around them has strengthened even clubs like spurs and are out spending them are outspending them. At the end of the day klopp will be judged on his legacy he leaves behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Jota 50/1 hat trick tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

Any chance we see vvd/matip play dm before the season is out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Not Virg but I'm 100% convinced Matip could do a job there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Wow they really aren't going to sign anyone else are they. Insanity

It will make the wins sweeter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The problem with the squad is that there's too much depth, but not quite enough strength. Which is the hardest problem to fix, without making it worse. We have bloody loooads of bodies in midfield and in attack, so it's really hard to add more without getting rid of some. Which I presume the club have been trying to do, but ultimately seem to have failed at.

For instance if we'd replaced Naby, Ox, and Milner with just Franck Kessie, and replaced Shaq, Origi, and Minamino with just Daka or Goncalves, we'd probably be stronger, despite being 4 bodies lighter. But that's all easier said than done when the second tier of the market just isn't buying so much because of covid losses. I mean, just look at the wrangling Lyon had to do to manage getting in Shaq!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Another big missed opportunity of a transfer window. The lack of investment means that the squad is in a weaker position that it was this time last season. Wijnaldum not being replaced in a big mistake as is not finding a replacement for Firmino who has been out of form for so long now that it's no longer a question of form.

I thought real were having money issues also, that was why the superleague was needed, it sounds like real called psg bluff and kept increasing the offer.

Aren't the club better to take a loss (within reason) on these players (Origi, Minamino, etc.) rather than holding onto them, paying wages, not really getting any use out of them, all the while their value is likely to go down anyway. For example what did Origi contribute last season, but, cost us wages and his value continued to drop, in the case of Minamino the club would likely get their money back on him anyway as they didn't pay much for him. They could then bring in a player or two that would be of value to the club and actually strengthen the squad. There is no point having players in a squad that know they won't play/know the manager has no trust in, they probably don't even really feel part of the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

When you look at Chelsea taking a relatively low-risk/low-cost punt on Saul for Atleti with an option to buy if it works out, it's frustrating. That's the type of deal we seemed to be good at tying up until recently. Really not sure what's going on behind the scenes but the last few transfer windows have been erratic - Davies last January and he's never played a competitive game for us. Then the whole thing about the new contract announcements being spaced out over the summer in lieu of new signings clearly. If you cast a cold eye on things, plenty of reasons to be concerned. Chatter about Edwards' position doesn't help either.

• Advertisement

Saul is on 300 grand a week , he only last year signed a deal till 2026

Madrid cabt afford the wagea so, want rid, We can't afford d that wage on a loan player Chelsea can, Probably the same reason United pulled out of the running

Ultimately, even if you decide to totally bite the bullet and let someone go on the total cheap, or free, you still need the player to actually accept the move, which means a team paying them at least the same wage they're currently on. The tier of clubs that would be in the market for those players are likely not in a position right now to offer that sort of contract. It's just all awful timing - there's never been a worse time to try to get rid of this bracket of players.

I think Klopp does actually want Minamino though, and we'll see him get more game-time going forward - as you say, he actually had suitors, but 'pool pushed back. Was also a bit interesting that in preseason he spent a lot more time in the left wing forward position, rather than the right or centre where he'd previously played a lot. His best performances for Southampton came from there too, so I wonder if there's been a shift in thinking with regards his role.

Its madness

Basically if only one of Jota, Salah, Mane or Firmino is missing through injury or suspension or covid even for one game we have nothing on the bench to common to change a game or get a goal,

I dont even want to think about 2 of them missing a few games together

Absolutely bonkers

Two of them will be going to AFCON, Jan 9th to Feb 6th, with the possibility of quarantine on their return.

Madrid don't appear to have the money unless Florentino Perez has robbed a bank since the weekend.

Leonardo had an interview on Monday where he said the money offer from Madrid was less than half of what was reported. The proposal included greatly inflated performance related bonuses where as PSG wanted the €180M they paid Monaco plus the percentage of the fee due to Monaco as stipulated in the transfer agreement. PSG had set a deadline of Sunday for concluding the matter and Madrid knew that over €200M was required.

Tonight Real Madrid make an offer of the magic fee to secure the player on the transfer deadline. Safe in the knowledge that the deal structure wasn't acceptable and the cut off date for an offer to be accepted as set by PSG had passed but it makes great headlines. It strikes me as remarkably similar to how Man Utd conducted their negotiations with Dortmund for Sancho last year.

PSG maintain that Real Madrid have been trying to undermine their relationship with Mbappe for the past 2 years. As Leonardo previously said, the scramble before the transfer deadline is for show and Madrid want to sign the player on a free transfer next summer.

The Davies deal is another example of a player who realistically will contribute nothing to the club, the profit we are likely to make on him is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.This happened at a time we had a deep defensive crisis, yet, he never played and sounds like they weren't planning on playing him even if he was available. The time and energy put into deals like this would probably be better used elsewhere. Imagine being in the dressing room and hearing we just signed Davies, it wouldn't really inspire you.

When we signed Minamino for example it felt like we were after getting a good player on the cheap, one who could make a difference in matches, it hasn't quite worked out that way (might still), but, you could see why the club signed him. The Davies deal was a weird one in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So it looks like everyone outside of the premier league were stone broke and would loan their players to reduce the wage bill, yet we couldn't pad out the squad with a few. Saul would of been absolutely perfect for us to replace Gini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

14.5 million salary and 5 million fee, basically 20 million to loan him for the year, I don't disagree with you that he would have been a good signing, he would possibly be the highest paid player at the club which might cause its own problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

A lot of the same people moaning now were moaning in the summer before we won the league when we hadn't signed anybody then either.

Figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Good to keep Carol aboard til 2024 at least....

It looks like we have to wait until Christmas/New Year for the Mbappe deal to be announced. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He’ll be unveiled at Popworld just after midnight on New Years.

And then down to the Lobster Pot for the presser. And a feed.

Madrid can’t even dream of matching that kind of glamour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I thought I read his salary was 7m a year, fair enough if it's 14m, that is a big outlay

They're just different types of deals though aren't they? Davies was more like buying a high-value painting or investment purely for the later return. Doesn't seem like it was exactly the most complicated deal in the world as it was all done in no time at all since he was almost out of contract... I just really don't think it impacted anything else in any way. Given the financial problems, I don't really have an issue with them doing ancillary deals to get a few extra quid in, in the same way Chelsea often do.

• Advertisement

We already have a massive wage bill ourselves, and a bloated squad, which I'd imagine makes things a lot tougher. I'd have liked him in if Atleti would cover some of the wages or something though. We could then have loaned out Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We have more fans than Chelsea and City put together, more commercial revenue, bigger stadium than Chelsea, same size at City, but only a few people show up for a lot of their games, yet we have no money, despite having a net zero spend.

Where is all the money going.

If they operated as a normal club, they'd be broke too. it's not a question of where our money's going, but where it's coming from. Ours comes from operating as a responsible football club and business. Theirs comes from an infinity of cash guaranteeing any losses they make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Atletico players are some of the highest paid in the world and the manager is the highest paid manager in world football till Pep signed his extension last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement