Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Iecrawfc

and this is the attitude that Mcgowan is pandering to...everywhere else in the world is a 'shitehole' with people dying on the streets, 1000's of cases, scary, scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭brickster69

Australia lost the plot also. Big speech from Craig Kelly

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Looks like one loon has lost the plot to me, stating some obvious crap. From my understanding (I have family over there) the majority are on board.

Granted there is a sizable minority who are the loons

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

So, the only way of living is indefinite lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

It does not make any difference now. I'll be there in a week. Sorry, only for Aussies it is a huge hurdle now.

You've asked this question before and have had an answer. You know that nobody is advocating indefinite lockdown; it is dishonest of you to pretend that they are.

Why are you doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Some people he knew went to live a fantastic life in Australia and he stayed in Ireland ?

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to think that gral6 is is an anti-vaxxer.

True, in this thread he has not expressed any criticism of vaccination. But that's the thing; he hasn't said anything at all about vaccination, even though if you want to slam the Australian response to the pandemic that's the glaringly obvious place to start. Not only has he not raised the topic himself, but he resolutely refuses to respond in any way when it is raised with him, or even to acknowledge the issue. His analysis of the Australian experience seems to proceed on the unspoken assumption that vaccination makes, and can make, no difference whatsoever.

Australia's a problem for anti-vaxxers because it's an Awful Example of the corner you paint yourself into if you don't vaccinate. Perhaps gral6 hopes to distract attention from this by trying to create the impression that Australia's difficulties are not the result of poor vaccination performance, but rather of notably successful transmission suppression measures.

That, at any rate, is the only way I can make any sense of the position that he is adopting here.

The other possibility, I suppose, is that (a) he has a massive scunner against Australia for reasons we can only speculate about, plus (b) he's a bit dim, and has failed to spot the obvious target. But "he's an anti-vaxxer" requires fewer assumptions, so it's the explanation I tend to favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

To be honest, i dont think he reads this thread at all. Just logs on, posts his daily one or two sentence rant about Australia being a concentration camp and turning into north korea, then off he goes on his merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Victoria today has pretty much announced a move from targetting 0 covid to relying on vaccination rates and supression of cases to guide coming out of lockdown, at 70% (hopefully by end of September) there will be very modest easing of restrictions and then on to 80%. Hopefully that doesn't leave the population at the mercy of the anti vaxxers, still I think people will get vaccinated as long as the supply is there(and Scomo the Prime Minister of Sydney deigns to send some down South).

At current vaccination rates, Victoria won't reach the 70% target until 31 October. Vaccination rates would have to improve dramatically to get there by the end of September.

\While there is much talk about vaccine resistance, it's unknown how big a factor this is in reality; the limiting factor on vaccination rates is not the reluctance of people to accept vaccination, but the inability of the authorities to supply it. So dramatically increased vaccination rates would require a dramatic increase in the supply of vaccines. Realistically, this can't be achieved by redirecting supplies from other states (even if the feds were willing to do that); Victoria is too big, and the supply of vaccines to other states already too constrained, to allow diversion of supplies on the scale that would be required. So the only way this is going to happen is if the feds manage to obtain supplies of vaccines at a much higher rate than they are currently obtaining them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

There is ample supply of AZ in all states, but even though there is now greater acceptance by Australians that it is a perfectly good vaccine, they seem to be avoiding it still to chase down Pfizer appointments, calculating that they will be fully vaccinated sooner because of the shorter timeframe between jabs.

Their confusion is understandable, but with Delta, if I was there I would definitely take whatever shot I could get soonest. The scramble to find bookings also sounds so stressful! Makes me appreciate how methodical our registration system moving down through the age groups was.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From the experience of other countries you won't see real indications until the vaccination rate is over 50%. Even so the hesitancy rate does come down as the programme progresses. France at one stage were at 35%. The question will be how to deal with a slowdown in uptake, if it happens.

The video is about vaccines not lockdowns, it's always a good idea to look at a post/video first before commenting. Lest you might look a fool 😁

Sure. I'm not saying that there [i]won't[/i] be a vaccine hesitancy problem; just that as yet we have little idea of what the scale of it might or might not be. It's eclipsed by the constraints on supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

So you are anti-lockdown and any country that does it is stupid.

So why in another thread are you giving your insight that Israel and Scotland are going into lockdown soon and Ireland will follow?

It is at the end of this thread

Lockdown is just kicking the can down the road. Australia successfully kicked it. They won some time but they wasted it. Now they have to face reality, zero covid utopia has shattered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

How can Australia's current policy not lead to indefinite lockdowns ?

What happens when the vaccine efficacy wanes after 6 months or so ? will they be able to always have 80%+ of the population covered ?

Booster shots still won't cover everybody as there will always be an "exposed" segment of society - look at Israel.

This chasing the tail strategy won't work , only way is to live with it, Australia will never do that, especially since one case puts them into a blind panic resulting in a whole state shutting down...

"There will be minimal easings on Friday, when playgrounds will reopen, but only for children under 12 with only one parent or carer.

The government said adults "should not remove their masks to eat or drink" and QR codes would be provided at playgrounds."

My God, can't even remove masks to eat or drink - outside, can you imagine the little jackboots they will hire to supervise this ??

Ok so you have no coherent position on this, you are just trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The let the virus run and learn to live with it position is a perfectly valid and coherent one and has been put forward by epidemiologists and doctors throughout the world.

"More and more physicians and public health officials are warning that even with the mass rollout of safe and effective vaccines, Covid may permanently establish itself.

White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci, Moderna CEO Stephane Bancel and World Health Organization executive director of the Health Emergencies Program Dr. Mike Ryan have said in recent weeks that the coronavirus may never go away."

"Singapore has decided to give up on the dream of covid-zero and will instead learn to “live with the virus,” according to the country’s Prime Minister, Lee Hsien Loong on Sunday. The decision comes despite the fact that Singapore has one of the highest covid-19 vaccination rates in the world, with 80% of the adult population fully vaccinated—second only to the country of Malta’s 82%."

""We've been told that this virus will disappear. But it will not," Dr. William Schaffner, a professor at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and medical director of the National Foundation For Infectious Diseases, tells CBS News.

"We need to control it. We need to diminish its impact. But it's going to be around hassling us for the foreseeable future. And by that I mean — years."

"Professor Karol Sikora, an expert in medicine at the University of Buckingham, told MailOnline: 'All deaths are very emotional and upsetting... but it's important we embrace Covid like we have other viruses because it will become a normal feature in society.

'We should consider it a success if we bring it [Covid deaths] down to levels comparable with flu deaths every year. We will never achieve zero Covid.' 

Cambridge University epidemiologist Dr Raghib Ali told MailOnline that once July 19 comes and most of the adult population have been given a vaccine: 'It's my view that we will be in as strong a position as we ever will be. Prolonging restrictions beyond that point doesn't achieve much.'

Asked what an acceptable number of Covid deaths would be, he added: 'If you look at deaths and excess deaths from influenza, the Government tolerates numbers up to about 50,000 [per year].'

Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, told Times Radio: 'We have to accept that this virus will circulate, and it will be the case, unfortunately, that in winters to come we will find that people contract it or subsequent variants and they will fall ill."

And so on, and so on.

Oh I don't disagree that letting the virus run is a coherent position. However arguing in this thread against lockdowns then promoting lockdowns in thread another is incoherent.

@gral6 comments on that other thread were - "Israel and Scotland are going to go into lockdown, we'll follow it very shortly after that."

This can only be trolling.

ehh .. think you're missing the point completely, he's not advocating for lockdowns, he's stating an opinion based on what Israel and Scotland are doing ...

Covid friend.

Well he's had 2 days to back up that statement re Israel & Scotland as a user responded almost immediately with the post

"Lockdown in Scotland??? When's this happening?"

So far radio silence = trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

If you oppose serious infractions on people’s civil liberties, you are a loon. Welcome to 2021.

• Advertisement

If you appose public health measures to stop the spread of decease and needless deaths of people, you are a loon. Welcome to 2021

Advertisement