Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Although I agree that the effect on him for the next election is likely overstated, I similarly don’t think it will achieve the plaudits some expect. Truth is it wasn’t really on the radar for most folks any more: the US deployed more troops on rotation to Poland than they did Afghanistan or Iraq the last year, and casualties had become rare. Look how much press the current Iraq operation is getting, and officially, they are still “combat operations”, switching to support role later in the year. Even in the military, going that direction has been an eyebrow-raiser, far from the “matter of course” it was five or ten years ago.

As long as Americans weren’t dying and there still seemed to be a reason to stay, I don’t think there was an overwhelming demand for an exit “by this time.” What there was a demand for in the background was an exit concept and a light at the end of the tunnel, but not an exit deadline. Further, with the benefit of hindsight, because of the way this was executed, in the next campaign he would be best avoiding the topic entirely instead of using the pull-out as a talking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If there is next campaign for JB. I wonder was his willingness to go ahead with this withdrawal and suffer whatever PR hit that came along with that a signal that he intends to be a one-term pres...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Although I agree that the effect on him for the next election is likely overstated, I similarly don’t think it will achieve the plaudits some expect. Truth is it wasn’t really on the radar for most folks any more: the US deployed more troops on rotation to Poland than they did Afghanistan or Iraq the last year, and casualties had become rare. Look how much press the current Iraq operation is getting, and officially, they are still “combat operations”, switching to support role later in the year. Even in the military, going that direction has been an eyebrow-raiser, far from the “matter of course” it was five or ten years ago.

As long as Americans weren’t dying and there still seemed to be a reason to stay, I don’t think there was an overwhelming demand for an exit “by this time.” What there was a demand for in the background was an exit concept and a light at the end of the tunnel, but not an exit deadline. Further, with the benefit of hindsight, because of the way this was executed, in the next campaign he would be best avoiding the topic entirely instead of using the pull-out as a talking point.

I certainly don't think that anyone is going to be lauding Biden about the withdrawal from Afghanistan, but at the same time it's the sheer length that has wearied people about America's time there, even if it wasn't front and centre on people's "radar". 20 years is a long stretch and the whole affair continues to have the feel of a wasteful time sink. This is especially the case where the ANA is concerned, which I'd wager most people believe was a complete squander of time and money. Coupled with that the US puppet government, too, appears to have been a bottomless pit of corruption and misspent resources for all intents and purposes. So overall I think there's largely an expression of relief from most people that the whole thing has been finally done away with.

Of course the real test will be the test of time and how Afghanistan eventually emerges from this itself. Something which gets lost amidst the silly infighting that occurs amongst partisan efforts to do one another down in US political circles.

A lot of Blue-ticks on twitter making fun of and calling out Biden for mentioning his son during the speech. His son was a war vet who died of cancer, likely enough to have been caused by the pit fires in Iraq.

What kind of a **** cesspit is Twitter? And the scum that claim to speak for the Republican base?

I think they have a wake up call coming.

Biden is growing, not sinking in popularity among the moderate Trump base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

How do you make that out because his approval ratings have dived the last 4 weeks.

His approval among liberals has nose dived. Swing Republicans are nodding their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Interesting, can you show me show data on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

52pc in a recent poll now saying that Biden should resign over this scandal.

This isn't going away; his reputation has been permanently damaged by this.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 52% of Likely U.S. Voters believe Biden should resign because of the way the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan was handled. Thirty-nine percent (39%) disagree, and nine percent (9%) are not sure. 

• Advertisement

Sorry Mark, I can't show you show data of American swing Republicans watching Biden's speech and saying 'the man is talking sense'. I just know it's happening.

I can show you show this tweet though, if it's any use:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Rasmussen - The pollster that none of the aggregators will include in their overall "poll of polls" results because their methodologies are so skewed.

They do land-line only phone interviews which means that their pool of respondents are significantly older and whiter than the actual population and not remotely representative. Every single Rasmussen survey data-set leans pretty hard to the Right/GOP side of the fence as a result.

To normalise that data you'd have to be knocking at least 5 points if not closer to 10 off that result.

Also - Claiming that "This isn't going away" literally 1 day after the last flight took off is more than a little hyperbolic.

Certain groups are being told to feel outraged right now by their media mouthpieces , but the US in general won't give a toss by Halloween if not even earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You're not doing great if you're relying on rasmussen for silly attacks.

However, what type of question were they asking? Only 1 president has ever resigned (as you don't see to know any US scandals, watergate was much worse than this, I'm still waiting on the next 2 bad scandals from you, though I'm guessing a tan suit is number 2, that's what rasmussen say).

Of course Biden is not going to resign.

But the poll reflects the strength of feeling that the US public has of Biden's mishandling of the pull-out; a pull-out that the US largely and actively desired.

The second question is literally asking if they agree with a quote from Lindsey Graham:

Do you agree or disagree with this statement: “I think Joe Biden deserves to be impeached because he’s abandoned thousands of Afghans who fought with us and he’s going to abandon some American citizens because he capitulated to the Taliban to a 31 August deadline”?

Yeah that's certainly an unbiased poll and not trying to implant ideas into people's brains at all at all.

I don't think the rasmussen reports say anything other than indicate the bias of those who try and use them..

It's pretty much over now, the operation is complete, everyone who wanted to leave and was meant to leave has left, no last minute panics, all nice and orderly, the Taliban will be left at it and drones will be used from now on.

The opportunity window for attacking Biden is also closing on this, the flurry of activity from last week has dropped away leaving only the desperate.

In saying that, they should have anticipated the ANA folding, but didn't, it's hard to blame Biden for that, but given that they did fold, the US response has probably been as good as it could be and the whole saga has been 20 years of (mostly) bad GOP leadership.

Whenever the Left find a source they provides polling that disagrees with their views, they dismiss the source outright.

It's laughable.

a) I'm not the left or even left leaning

b) are you denying that rasmussen has bias? Do you want to show us some reasons why their polling should be trusted?

Regardless of everything else, the USA is now Out of Afghanistan.

It might take a while but that is a huge sigh of relief for most Americans. Republican and Democrat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭francois

News cycle moved on from Afghanistan to the Texas abortion law and possibly the reversal of Roe-v-Wade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is interestingly done given it won't be a normal crime of the state prosecuting you. Instead it is a neighbour / family snitch system with a big reward. It is designed to cut down on how many people a vulnerable woman can trust with this. Added to this anyone who helps can be prosecuted. As ever these laws will increase the number of unsafe abortions done and leave those women and any helping them terrified of seeking medical help. Still I am not sure that more deaths is something the GOP is particularly worried about. It does remind you of the 1984 style turn everyone on each other snitching.

I am curious as to what Biden can do here, I guess he could try and force the supreme court to make stance on this one way or another since they have been largely silent on the issue. That could overturn Roe vs Wade but if it is allowed to be subtlety broken then it will be done elsewhere as well.

Hopefully they get shut down from a sheer mass of people providing fake reports and overwhelming the system to pure uselessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, that's something the right never do.

Oh wait....

So you've admitted I'm right, but are merely complaining it's something the political right also happen to do?

That's not much of a defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It's a question of validity of the source. Rasmussen polled that Trump would waltz back in for a second term at the time of the last election, unfortunately he lost by a 'landslide'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭newhouse87

The hypocrisy here of psaki, in 2019 she tweeted she wanted the full phone transcript of trumps call to zelensky and now Biden's call to afghan president- nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There are two things - EVERYBODY dismisses Rasmussen as a source , even Rasmussen himself left the company and went out on his own and his new polling firm is rated higher on accuracy than his name sake.

Fundamentally though even if the poll results were a fair and accurate representation of the current feelings in the US , it's not going to last.

The US is out of Afghanistan and it will pretty rapidly fade from the front pages and it will not be a factor in any upcoming election.

As others have pointed out it's already been pushed off the front pages by the Texas Abortion laws and the Supreme court etc.

That's the sort of stuff that will impact the next US Election , not Afghanistan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Hypocrisy??? There was serious accusations of the President of the US engaging in unlawful behaviour in Trumps phone call. There is not a hint of anything remotely untoward in Bidens call, so there is no comparison here at all.

The scraping of the barrel here is hilarious.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Advertisement