Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Its a pain in the hope for a lot of people

In a small town a lot of social contact is at the supermarket small shop post office etc

Its not the same with mask on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

No, all SD requirements go on the 22nd thankfully

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

There's no 60% capacity in pubs, that only applies to indoor venues such as theatres etc

Only change until 22nd October is music allowed from Monday.

Ideally a staggered approach would have been better I think(seeing as that's the way we tend to do things), normal pub hours early October or earlier just for example then all late bars clubs etc on the 22nd but for whatever reason they've decided all on the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

That poster is joking or they are FF/FG/GP shill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Obesity is not infectious, as you well know.

Vaccinated people are much less likely to be infected and so spread the virus, as you well know. They are not acting anti socially as they have taken a reasonable measure to prevent them spreading the virus, unlike the anti vax crowd who relish the opportunity to infect other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

In Spain kids from 5 have to wear masks all day in school - it's sick.

There is a huge mask cult here though, the rules are the same in Ireland right now, but before end of June in Spain was mandatory to wear them outdoor.

Amazingly(depressingly) I would say 90%+ of people still wear them outside - even when not in crowded areas, it's sad, the media have done a really good job in terrifying people.

Whereas in Ireland it's the opposite, as soon as you leave a shop people whip them off - they seem to have a brain.

So it will be a hard sell to have kids that young wear masks in Irish schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

What you're saying here is extremely dubious, its akin to a medieval blood libel. Are you that desperate to engage in scapegoating that you have to lower yourself to saying that people who don't wish to take a vaccine take pleasure in trying to spread infection?

Its open question whether vaccinated people are 'much less likely' to transmit covid. I'd say 'less likely' is a fair characterisation though even that may be an exaggeration.

These vaccines don't give sterilising immunity, and Ireland with its proportionately huge number of vaccinated people has many, many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Cases, cases, cases. Who gives a fcuk as long as they are not translating to hospitalisations and deaths as before. How many times does it need to be said on here that the vaccines are extremely effective at preventing severe outcomes. They were never designed to prevent transmission, however, that would have been an added bonus. They are doing what they were designed to do. It's like pissing against the wind at times on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Will be a welcome sight to see them removing all those hideous yellow social distancing signs. The sheer amount of them used to piss me off when shopping.

• Advertisement

I know that but read the conversation in context and look at the posts I am replying to where the poster is trying to justify permanent discrimination against the unvaccinated on the basis of (not fully proven) higher rates of transmission.

I need to highlight that the vaccines don't give sterilising immunity for my argument.

I'm already aware that these vaccines were not designed to prevent transmission but are anti-unvax posters here aware of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

News is obviously good today, past events lead me to be skeptical that we will actually be in the place we expect by oct '22 but heres hoping.

I think Englands decision which many called wreckless in July is proving to be the correct one, I'm sure the govt\nphet will never admit to this due to all the criticisms they publicly made of the Uk but they probably were much more confident with todays announcement based on evidence from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

"Medieval blood libel"? what planet are you on? There are plenty of people who not only do not take the vaccination but who actively try to undermine public health measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Vaccines have been shown to reduce transmission by up to 94% Studies are ongoing, especially into delta, but they do substantially reduce transmission.

You said there are people who 'relish the opportunity to infect other people'. That is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not that I really care that much with one way or the other when so many have made the choice to get vaccinated, but with all the scaremongering and mis-information by ardent anti-vaxxers, from those I have been talking too the general consensus appears to be, don`t come crying to me about your freedoms being curtailed due to your wish to maintain your body integrity when you never gave a flying fcuk about anyone else`s.

Probably a bit harsh as regards those that genuinely refused for that reason, but I can see where they are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

They tried to design them to prevent transmission and stop all symptoms and couldn't do it. To say that they are doing what they were designed to do is only partly correct. They are doing what they could manage to make them do.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

One of the least annoying things about shopping is signage.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

From reading between the lines it seems they wanted to keep things buttoned up as tight as possible until this wave has passed. They threw a few bones out around returning to offices and smaller indoor/outdoor events but the real changes all seem to be happening on the 22nd. Can't say I'm surprised, they've been super cautious for a while now.

I think the masks in retail settings will go fairly soon after the 22nd as well. It just doesn't make much sense, unless they change the mask requirements to N95 or FFP2 types.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Yeah it's harsh, it's also short-termist since today it's a vaccine and tomorrow it could be anything else, and why should anyone assume they'll always be on the 'correct' side of any dilemma?

Plus not everyone who doesn't want to take a vaccine is an activist, preaching this that or whatever.

People like Gemma O'Doherty and Justin Barrett represent no one. They don't speak for anyone but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

infection matter little anymore, the old and vulnerable are protected. This is now firmly a health care crisis if it wasn’t always the case.

You think by embracing the covid pass system for everything you are punishing some kind of evil anti vax movement when there could easily be the biggest anti vaxxer in the country allowed access all areas because they have a covid pass for recovery from covid having flouted the rules from the beginning while someone who can’t take a vaccine for medical reasons but has done everything asked of them through lockdown is locked out?

Obesity isn’t infectious but is being passed from one generation to the next through bad habits when you look around. Plenty of ‘big boned’ kids around to become vulnerable at a future time- potentially far more straining on the health service down the line.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what will happen once we reach close to 100%?

Surely if we have 90 by October than 95 by November wouldn't be impossible to achieve.

By that stage I can't see why masks would remain in public transport and retail.

Airports and planes will remain that way in my opinion, not a hope that will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

“Wrecked mental health” - By closing pubs? If Irish people got up off there lazy arses and exercised then they wouldn’t be suffering mental health wise

“Ruined businesses” - Yeah like the pubs who are making money than ever over the last year? Remember that pub in cork? Give over.

”Two tiered society” - 90% vaccination rate, 10% choose to divide themselves from society

“Constant threat of lockdown” - pretty sure the government have been very transparent about not wanting to go back into lockdown.

”Masking children,” - why is that an issue? It’s an pandemic and children haven’t been vaccinated.

Grow up .

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

Listening to Mary Wilson grilling Stephen Donnelly now on various issues from Public Transport to the All Ireland Final capacity... just a reminder our extremely cautious approach is not exclusively the politicians fault.

The media are the problem and pretty much reflect our own problem.

We are a fearful, cowardly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I see in the papers that Michael Martin says booster shots will be essential to relaxing restrictions on 22 October.

Already they've began to get the excuses in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You don't believe the lockdowns have had any effect on mental health?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

All MM said in the speech was booster campaign alongside flu jab campaign to be launched in the coming weeks & the independent latched onto that for their headline. The actual article bar the first line makes no refence to boosters & the 22nd being contingent on them. Clickbait as usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

No offence, but who cares about anti-vaxers? We can't change their mind so forget about them. Some will learn the hard way, others will not.

People got the vaccine to protect themselves and others. A large percentage of the country and large percentage of the younger generation got it, so lets sing their praises and forget about the other lot.

Advertisement