Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Unless U have a lot of space and weight capacity, that is an awful lot of glass taking up space. 5 litre bibs from L'Eclerc (vieux carrion) are usually 12/14. but i if each....Cab sauv, Merlot, Chardonnay, Sauv Blanc alll VDP D'oc. Auchan and Carrefour have their own brands. Much less space and weight! Spread your risk by only buying one of each although U can open reds, taste and judge (same with warm white if U want). even if 1 in 5 is a bummer , it still works out at 60/70 euro for 20 litres. I have been bibbing for 30+ years...solid reliable everyday wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aileenhealy

Thanks for the info - looks like I’m all set so🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aileenhealy

I’ve been travelling to France for years with dogs.

Brittany Ferries - Cork to Roscoff (Pont Avon). Dogs must be in a kennel, access is available anytime, must be muzzled between the car and the kennel but that’s only a lift ride so very quick. Good enough exercise area. I’d advise booking a large kennel regardless of the size of the dog. The small ones are up quite high so lifting a sometimes frightened and dog from shoulder height isn’t easy. I think a dog friendly cabin can be booked on this ship on the UK/Spain route but not on the Ireland route - not sure why that is.

Irish Ferries direct to France. I only traveled on the Oscar Wilde and the kennels were in a cramped room on the car deck and very noisy with a tiny exercise area. Access was restricted to pre organised times. I haven’t travelled on the WB Yeats so can’t comment.

I travel often in Winter so would so would take the landbridge route. Rosslare to either Pembroke or Fishguard with Stena or IF, I always leave the dog in the car. From the UK the choices are endless. The Tunnel is the best by far I think as it’s such a short trip but it’s a long long drive from the Welsh coast. On my last trip in Dec 2019 I went from Poole to - I think - Cherbourg. That was with Brittany Ferries and was an overnight sailing and had a dog friendly cabin - brilliant.

I haven’t traveled since pre COVID so I’m not sure what the options are with all the new ferry crossings that have come on stream from Ireland to France since then.

Also on a slightly different theme if you do take your pet and need any info on location of vets near the French ferry ports let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Havent posted here in a while once all the Covid stuff kicked off, was browsing yesterday evening and was pleasantly surprised to see that some of the flights for next year are up already, have us all booked with Aerlingus including luggage and roomy seating and had it covered by our voucher from 2020 with about 60 euros to spare.

Its weird, its like a load off my mind, the staycations were grand and all, but I never got the feeling of having a proper mental disconnect that really only comes from getting out of the country and being immersed in a place where english isn't the default language.

Anyway, only 10 months to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Thats great info thanks, from looking theres pet friendly rooms with Brittany available to book to both france and spain from ireland. that looks like it might be the best option and possibly the least stressful of the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Do you mind me asking rough dates of available Flights ? Are they before July 21st 2022 in particular return flight ? (My sister having issue with Aer Lingus on flights for next Summer)

Know exactly what you mean by Staycation v abroad !

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

I've booked our 2022 holidays. Brittany Ferries Cork to Roscoff (wouldn't wait for Irish Ferries to open their bookings), an apartment in Royan for a week (first time not using a campsite), a night at Puy du Fou(not open for booking yet) and 4 days at a French Centre Parcs.

Just a note to all, Centre Parcs France are really good value if you book early! They also allow a large additional discount if one of the party is under 13 or over 55, just tick a little box...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

flying out on 17th july and back on 1st june - normally id try and fly to Perpignan, as its only 20 mins from our end destination, but thats a lesser served route, and doesn't seem to be up for purchase yet. I'd be 100% confident that Dublin - Barcelona wouldnt be dropped as a route when they're going twice daily, and the 2.5 hour drive on the spanish side is no major inconvenience. Also - I do think that demand next year is going to be mental, so the sooner stuff gets locked in, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

May be of interest for anyone that was caught up in the Fiasco involving the WB Yeates in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Absolutely on demand for 2022. My sister is trying to book Flights home from France for July 23rd for her and her family but nothing showing as available online including from CDG. Aer Lingus keep telling her that they are available and that she can book on the phone but then won't accept her Refund Vouchers on the phone. Very frustrating!

We are trying to organise a family get-together for everyone so we are trying to co-ordinate plans for next Summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Can I please double-check, is that sworn declaration purely a paper based thing, i.e. I don't need to upload it or also complete it online like the Irish one. I'm pretty sure it is only paper based but I just want to double check. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Paper based only. Just sorting everything out here myself as we speak. Hitting France via Bilbao tomorrow and trying to sort out the Spanish paperwork also. God be with the days when it was only passports and tickets you had to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Yep its paper based. Traveled out on Pont Aven last Saturday and at Cork they checked the vaccination certs and sworn statements. On srrival early Sunday in Roscoff the customs guy barely glanced at them and just did the usual passport check. No delay at all.

Incidentally the Covid passport has worked well (so far anyway 😁). Majority of bars and restaurants scanning them even for outside dining in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Travelling over on Irish Ferries, Dublin - Cherbourg, on Thursday and returning Monday. Staying in Caen. Is there a full bar and restaurant service on board? also any recommendations for bars and restaurants in caen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Apologies first of all for how it'll look like I'm ignoring the "use search function" advice in the thread title. I haven't been on Boards much since the revamp, and I can't find the "search this thread" button, if it still exists at all. And a general search for "Vendee" gives on results from this thread and instead just brings up two short older ones, with the most recent one dating from 2015.

It's a short and straightforward question - can anybody recommend a campsite in the Vendee region? We've always stayed in Normandy/Brittany before, but want to head a bit further south next year.

It's just myself, my wife, and a boy who'll be eight years old by then. No particular requirements other than a pool and ideally a kids' club, which probably most if not all sites will have anyway.

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

If you want a busy large site we have stayed in le Clary's plage. We stayed on the part of the site that was across the road, doesn't sound as bad as that. Across the road is quieter, it's away from the bar and pool. Site wasn't our cup of tea just for size and busyness.. we have stayed in Les ecureuils also, smaller site and alot quiter. Stayed when our eldest we pre school. Lovely clean site, alot closer to the sea, literally across the road if that's what u want But Clary's plage is still only 10 mins away.. the region is lovely, nice cycling routes and plenty to do if weather is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

You won’t go wrong with La Garangeoire. A lovely, safe site for kids. Plenty to do with kids clubs, pool, they have their own equestrian centre, pony treks, lakes, fishing, soccer. A lot of people return here year after year, says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

best thing in the Garangeoire is the evening kids club... dump the kids to watch a movie, go for a peaceful meal in the nearby (and excellent by campsite standards) restaurant. We went there 3 times - the only thing against it is it's not that near a beach (30 mins drive or so).

Also if you're into culture/history etc, there's also not a huge amount to see in the Vendee compared with Brittany/Normandy but the weather is a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Hi all,

Could anyone recommend a site near Normandy or Brittany. First time going to France and I’ll have two kids (4 & 3).

Are all sites open for 2022 booking, or should I wait awhile?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Vendee site, Les Genets, 500m up the road from Clarys Plage but calmer and quieter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

That's quite a big catchment area TBF. We planned on going to Les Ormes this year (and last year) but didn't happen with COVID. Eurocamp have a couple of sites in Normandy IIRC & Les Ormes in Brittany is around two hours from Cherbourg

Les Ormes might suit your children's ages as there are theme parks, a zoo and a reptile park within an hour of the site, plus the site has a large dome covered pool complex with slides

Further south into Brittany there are lots of sites around Carnac & surrounding area but your looking at more of a three hour drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I was in les Genets the year before last, and heading to Les Ormes tomorrow with a 4 year old. Les Ormes seems to tick all the boxes for activities for that age.

Best bet is to start with something like the eurocamp website and start to shortlist places.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Folks, really dumb question here but here we go. How does one get onto Mont St Michel? I know there's a bridge and a tidal causeway, but is the causeway bit paved or is it slippery rocks and mud?

We're hoping to go next year with our two year old. I know the island isn't buggy friendly so we'd probably take a carrier for when she's tired of walking, but I'd be worried about slipping on the causeway if it's a bad surface

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

You park the car and get a shuttle bus to Mont St. Michel. You don't need to go near the water, etc. There's a road and bridge to the base of it, that is where the bus drops you off. Yes, there are narrow uneven paths and slippery steps, as you you walk around the island. I definitely would not attempt to bring a buggy as when we were there, it was so busy we had to walk with the crowd. We loved it and plan to return there in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

In my opinion, you see the best of Mont St Michel from a distance. The island itself has little to offer beyond crowded alleys and tourist shops selling souvenirs at inflated prices.

Admire the setting and skyline from the shore and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

I think it's amazing and well worth a visit. Try and climb to the top if you can. Might be hard with a 2yo though. It's all v steep. Causeway over is paved and there's a bus to bring you to the bottom. It made a big impression on me as a kid, I was thrilled to show it to my own kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

We had a very good guide when we visited (20 years ago) who had in the past had Buzz Aldrin in one of his tours.

Buzz (allegedly) said it was one of the few places he had always wanted to visit.

The tour guide finished off by telling the group that if we visit only one other place after Mont St Michel, it should be the Skelligs.

(He was unaware there were any Irish in his mostly American group)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Big thanks to the couple of posters above who replied to my question about Vendee region. Le Clarys Plage and La Garangeoire were the two we'd had a quick initial look at all right, and will check out Les Gents now too.

To the person asking about Normandy/Brittany - I'd also highly recommend Domaine Des Ormes.

And finally, re. Mont St. Michel - one piece of advice is to either go early morning or late afternoon/evening. The idea either way is to time it so that you won't be looking for a shuttle bus back at peak times, or otherwise you might have a long wait. Last time we were there, we got fed up waiting, and decided to walk instead. Think it took about 40 minutes - that's a long time with a toddler, particularly if you don't have a buggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Crumtrin

I contacted DFDS to enquire about passengers for summer 2022.

They said no decision has been made yet, but the way it was phrased it sounded like it is something they might be thinking of doing.

Also does anyone know why are Irish Ferries leaving it so long before announcing their schedules for next summer ?

I mean Brittany and Stena both have their schedules out but I would like to try the WB as I travelled on the Oscar previously and it was nice. I also travelled on the Pont Aven too, but I would like to try the WB to see what it's like.

We are planning to travel to outside Carnac next June/July time. I would expect Irish Ferries will probably cost about 12-1400 euro for the return trip ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Irish ferries always much later, WB is a lovely ship.

Advertisement