Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Re: staff leaving if they are not allowed WFH, one problem with large parts of the public service is the apathy associated with providing a good service.

Let's say John the superstar will leave unless he is given WFH. Fine, see ya John. It will take ages to replace him or he won't be replaced at all and this will be regarded as a good thing due to lower salary costs. The service to the customer is not a priority, management likely doesn't give a fcuk unless they are forced to by a clear statutory requirement or by somebody "important" like a Minister etc. Management may be so disengaged that they don't even realise what John was doing until he has left but even if they had known, they wouldn't have cared.

Management style would be along the lines of

Is John sitting at his desk? If yes, good, my work is done. If not, get him back. Oh he has now resigned, shur what can we do, he was a fcuking gobsh*te anyway!

Post edited by BrianD3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

If people were that easy to replace then why are we not all on minimum wage? Surely any of us on more should be cut tomorrow for someone who will do the job cheaper in that case? I guarantee you they are not paying people more out of kindness so there must be other reasons. Certainly if I get hit by a bus my company will mange to move on, that I have no doubt of. However rehiring is expensive as is training up someone new. I frequently hear about 6 months before someone is actually worth their salary.

Companies that are not struggling have no desire to cut numbers. They made a decision to hire that many people. Reducing their numbers for no reason would be stupid so they won't do it for the sake of removing a perk that doesn't cost them that much. In the end this will be a perk like health insurance or pension benefits. They don't have to offer it but it will help them keep and gain new employees and thus provide savings on hiring and training costs in addition to allowing a cheaper expansion of staff without worrying about Dublin City rates to give them an office. It will vary from industry to industry depending on the practicalities as some jobs can't be done from home. However most companies I have heard from are going hybrid and most won't have the capability to even have all their staff in the office at once due to Covid either due to hiring more people or moving out of old buildings.

Unfortunately, for many people this is just the type of management that they are working for, many will simply not change their attitude towards wfh because they need to be sure that the worker's time is "owned" by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

If I'm forced back for the sake of city centre businesses I'll be continuing to buy locally as much as possible and will do my utmost not to spend a single penny in the city.

This 100%. My local product and customer service is better anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see people still throwing in the "health and safety" line for why they shouldn't have to return to work.

I think I would respect the arguments more if they were honest, for the majority it is nothing to do with their safety or because they actually care about covid, they want to continue WFH because it suits them better.

And that is a valid argument on its own, if employees have the power then use it and migrate to employers that will accommodate that working model. But telling employers it is still a safety issue is pretty specious in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'm willing to risk catching covid for a creamy pint or a holiday. I don't want to have to take a similar risk to do my job which I can do exactly the same from my house.

But you're right that I've very little fear of covid as I've has it already and only suffered a mild illness.

Plenty of people haven't had it tho and are genuinely terrified of catching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Bellie1

Maybe these people are over 50 and have diabetes or some other underlying condition. Vaccine or no, should they still be trying to avoid coming back into office to avoid catching it? Is that a rational thought/fear? The juries also still out on whether vaccines prevent long covid, isn't that another reason to avoid catching ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Most fears are irrational. Does it matter really? Are there legitimate reasons to bring workers back to the office against their will when they have been able to perform their job from home for nearly 2 years?

Workers ordered back to offices in Sept / Oct 2021 with Covid 19 cases still at approx 2000 a day and thats with 90% vaccinated.

Warnings that vaccine effectiveness wanes at approx six months, so numbers in older and high risk groups who were vaccinated 4 to 8 months ago, (January to April) are going to start climbing again come the end of Oct / into Nov. (In fact, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they already have....

Just in time for Christmas....

So, what do you think of the odds that Christmas 2022 will result in another lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Non mandatory masks and less than 2 meters for adults over 8 hrs a day is a problem safety wise.

Even if what you say is true, it’s no different than an employer playing the ‘health and safety’ or ‘GDPR’ to justify forcing people back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I got informed a few nights ago that permanent WFH was never on the cards where I work. Yay. Trialing all teams hyprid in 2 weeks with intent for it all to be sorted by middle of October.

Anyone know of any night time permanent remote jobs for €38k+ a year?

I’m seeing that recruiters are now adding options to filters ie office/flexible/hybrid preferred/fully remote. So if employees push there will be changes

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

I think all the companies that have not communicated any "new model" yet will force their people back to the office and will accommodate the minimum amount of WFH. The companies had 18months to work on a new policy and announce it if they wanted to. Some companies have taken decisions in 2020, given back offices and communicated clearly. The new model does not depend on any external factor, so if HR did not write any new policies in 18months, they are not going to appear by magic now.

If companies continued to pay/renew expensive leases and nothing has been announced it is because they don't want any change. Some companied that said "yeah we will see and work on something" are just waiting for the need to disappear. If we were not able to get anything in the middle of the worse health crisis of the century, I don't see how we will be able to negotiate when the emergency is gone.

There will be a 1 / 2 months grace period where they will be talking about a hybrid mode, and then it will disappear with the classic "the hybrid mode was just a transition phase"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

My company never had a WFH policy but you can read between the lines in their email updates that they are considering this as an option for those who want to WFH, given how well it has worked out for them since last March. Last week they said they would evaluate the return to office situation before end of November and give a months notice when offices are to reopen.

In my own case, I probably work longer hours than I should and last yearly review proved I performed better at home than any of the previous 10 years have been working there. I have already made my views known that I would like to continue this way. Part of it is cost savings, part of it is I work better from home, and a bit part of it is I have a serious underlying condition and very concerned that if I do catch it, I won't fare well. Manager said he will pass it up the line and is very supportive but ultimately not his decision. The feeling I get is I doubt anyone that wants to stay as they are will be made come in. 90% of my work does not involve dealing face to face with people anyway. And Teams covers the other 10%.

Anyone forced to return will no longer do extra hours, they will leave on time from now on. At home they’d possibly do a bit longer as no travel time. But looking at commutes they are going to reevaluate.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭moycullen14

I'd agree with this. The commute, for me, is the deal-breaker. I was looking at an hour plus, each way before Covid and this was only getting worse and was pretty unavoidable, unless I travelled at silly times. Add to that a reasonably unpleasant office setup (bad kitchen, toilets, parking, etc) and I've decided that nothing is dragging me back to that. Will I leave the job, if forced back to the office? Definitely. Hope and believe it won't come to that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We'll have a full WFH model and a % WFH model, but I'm seeing a lot of people want to come back to the office (80%+) which has surprised me a bit (tbf the Office is very well equipped), it may be that people come in initially and then move to a WFH model, but many don't want to give up their desks (work in IT).

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭starf1sh

My place has been fully WFH since the pandemic started and have given us a return to office date and no WFH/hybrid plan in place. We're public sector.

Post edited by starf1sh on

• Advertisement

All the surveys during Covid were consistently saying that most (like 70% plus) wanted hybrid working with 2-3 days in the office each week. The numbers wanted full office or full WFH were pretty small. So doesn’t surprise me that it’s busy off the bat with people wanting to get into their new routine

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Bot1

Surprises me that Eamon Ryan and the Green Party are talking about everybody back to the office now? Transport GHG emissions were down 14% in 2020 compared to 2019. NO2 air pollution down by ~50% in Dublin City centre. Largely due to remote working! Seems like a great option from an environmental point of view!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They give him things to announce and it's the deal they signed - support the government.

Yes, and I’d say that they intentionally try to compromise him in the eyes of his natural voter base by way of what they give him to announce

he’ll get screwed just like labour were, and how Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems were in the UK by Cameron

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Same here. I would have thought that when you have emissions targets to hit, reducing traffic into the city is a no-brainer. There would also be the knock-on effects to the housing market of reducing the number of people feeling the need to buy property in/near Dublin. Then there's also the positive effect on local town centres. I can't help wondering if vested interests are leaning on the government although to be fair, they are encouraging flexibility on the part of employers and we'll see if Leo's Right-to-Request WFH proposal works as advertised or has its fangs pulled by the puppet-masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Husband has been fully WFH since mid-March 2020. Has gone to office in Dublin 4-5 times in total since then. His firm are bringing everyone back 1 day a week at the end of October and will have a policy in place ahead of that. Expected to be 2 days a week in office minimum.

For him, he says that he does not need to be physically on-site 2 days a week ( more like 1 day a fortnight) but if needs be he will do it and then look at options. His commute time was approx 3 hours round-trip pre-Pandemic.

We are lucky that we have a home office for him in our house. It has been fantastic for our family life especially the kids who previously did not see him at all in the weekday mornings and only fleetingly weekday evenings. He also travelled a lot abroad but he switched roles during the Pandemic and his current role won't involve travel.

We'll see how it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

"Irish Google workers have been told that they will not need to return to the office until January, despite new government guidelines that say companies can open offices from September.

Google staff were informed today about the change in dates by CEO Sundar Pichai, who said that there was still too much uncertainty around Covid 19 and the Delta variant.

The tech giant, which employs over 8,000 people in Dublin, was due to reopen its offices here fully in October."

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/googles-return-to-office-date-pushed-back-to-january-despite-government-green-light-for-september-40806394.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

My company communicated a Hybrid model starting from October mix of WFH and office with no mandated office days. Each team decide amongst themselves when they need to be in office each week.

I am almost certain this will lead to most people being told to go to office by team lead to keep an eye on them as they could be at anything at home and not working late hours as is expected. I cannot really see in busy periods people being allowed say well i will be working at home Monday & Friday every week FYI to the team lead.

I actually think it will be a nightmare as previously we just had hot desks in office but seems as though will need to prebook any desk or meeting room and i'm sure there will be huge demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

For folks that love the peace and quiet and comfort of their own home wfh is the best thing ever. No mental commute of 3 to 4 hours per day and spending all that money on petrol.

If you want to have a chat with your colleague then just talk to them via skype or teams for free or meet up at the weekend once in a while.

Open plan offices are a nightmare as you have always a loudmouth who can't keep their mouth shut. Then the issues with open/closed windows and heating in autumn / winter..... Never mind using the small dirty kitchen at lunch time or using dirty toilets.....

Advertisement