Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are disc brakes contributing to crashes in the pro peleton this year?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

neutral service is definitely an issue with disc brakes thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

no doubt if you went back 100 years or so, you would have all the same arguments against gears and derailleurs. Complexity, cost, ugliness etc. Disc brakes work, offer more modulation, no rim wear, more consistent performance in the wet (someone mentioned trying to stop on carbon rim brakes in the wet - been there, nearly went into a pileup. Not fun). No such issues with disc brakes.

As for all the bikes looking the same - have you ever looked at traditional steel bike frames? Nearly every one looks the same as all the others. Right, you have lugs, and you have small details like the colnago logo on stays and bottom bracket shells, but there was no variety until funny bikes came along. Disc brakes everyday of the week for me (even though most of my bikes are rim brakes)

That was pretty poor from neutral service alright - would have been better to take a bike swap. It looked like whatever size allen key the mechanic had was wrong for the dqs bike, and he had to change it (after first bringing out a rear!!!)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

True. But if I recall correctly, a Quick Step mechanic was responsible for Alaphillipe's cordless drill fiasco in last year's Tour.

It's a crazy situation where a puncture now means either changing your entire bike or a mechanic approaching it with power tools.

I wasn't paying enough attention when there was a crash going up hill the other day and Quinn Simmons removed his own wheel while waiting for a new one. They are hardly using quick release are they, more likely have levers on the thru axel like you see on some MTBs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My Gravel Bike has those levers too - however I didn't think the pro's would have them as they're not aero enough... It was a hilly stage so he may have been on rim brakes anyway.

• Advertisement

Was looking to see if I could find pictures of the Trek bikes from la Vuelta, there's one here I found from the Tour, see if I can get this to embed now. Have a look at Kenny's front wheel, non drive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Mate of mine is back from Majorca and says all the rental options now are bang up to date, disc brakes, 28mm tyred... garden gates!

He rides a 2015 trek SLR at home and rented a TCR advanced pro disc out there. Not a cheap bike at a shade over 5 grand RRP new, and he didn't like it at all. Heavy, dead, over - braked.

On dry, well tarmac'd Majorca hills you don't need 28mm comfort tyres and heavy disc set up. Fair enough maybe on a work horse winter bike on crap roads but...

Yeah. Don't like discs, me. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

heavy disc set up

ultegra R8000 (mechanical shift, rim brakes): 2272g

ultegra R8020 (mechanical shift, disc brakes): 2314g.

a difference of 42g, or about one tenth of the fill of a bidon. and for 105, the difference is 25g.

(source: https://ccache.cc/blogs/newsroom/2020-road-gravel-groupset-weight-comparison)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I did a search for a TCR disc vs rim brake weight but couldn't find it. I suspect because the manufacturers don't want to publicise this info as the disc bikes are usually heavier. The weight table linked says that cables for rim and hoses and fluid for discs aren't included...

Post edited by gn3dr on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The Japanese Giant website is the only one that publishes weights of bikes & frames. The TCR Advanced disc is 250 - 300g heaver than the rim version. Most of that increase is the wheelset. The disc frameset is 10g heavier than the rim version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

I suspect it's not only about the weight of groupset. When I was shopping for a bike 5 years ago, there were plenty of options around 7kg for under €3000.

7kg bike would cost you 10k now. And 3k bike with disk brakes will ride like a ton of bricks. Bike industry is laughing now. They can sell bikes with rubbing disk brakes for a lot of money, because disk brakes are "so much better". The fact is, they are not necessary, unless always riding in filthy conditions.

My rim brake pads last at least a year on a good bike. Rim wear is still minimal after 20000km. It just shows that I don't do much braking anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm not yet completely sold on discs (aside from on a wet day where there is no question), I have two disc road bikes but recently bought a rim braked bike, partly because both bikes needed the discs looked at by a shop as they have been giving trouble.

One of my bikes is a TCR Advanced Pro Disc though - it weighs 7.6kg so I don't think you can call it a garden gate.

His words, not mine anyway in relation to the TCR. I've had two consecutive TCR advanced Pro (rim) bikes and loved them.

Quoted weights and all that are fine but there's no doubt whatsoever in my mind but that bikes have gotten heavier and more expensive, and that has coincided with the advent of disc braked bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Agree with you on both price and weight, before the TCR I had a disc braked Cannondale Synapse which came close to 10kg until I changed the wheels, before that again I had a rim braked Canyon Ultimate which was below 7kg, and below 1800€ on sale

"below 7kg, and below 1800€"

Yeah, those days are long gone :( :( :( You could pay 12 grand for a road bike now and not break the 7kg mark.

Advertisement