Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's a bit of a weirdly negative take... 2 Southampton managers? Are you bringing Mark Huges into this? Who managed him back at 17/18 years old? And Hassenhuttl clearly really likes him. He's had his criticisms of him, and given him work-ons, but also always welcomed him back to the team and said really positive things about him. A lad of that age that he didn't like would have simply been someone we never even heard about, rotting in PL2.

As for finding himself on the move.. I mean, yeah, because he's not a premier league striker, but he was at a premier league club. There's not exactly a lot of 19/20/21 year old strikers playing regularly in the premier league! At Southampton there was simply a rake of players better than him ahead of him - Armstrong, Adams, Walcott, Redmond etc (any one of whom would be a nailed on irish starter).

He's obviously a very talented kid, with an almost identical record to Connolly in 19/20 (both players best and breakout year), which elevated Connolly to nailed on squad member. Connolly - 24 PL games, 3 goals 2 assists. 2 EFL games, 1 goal. Obafemi - 21 PL games, 3 goals, 2 assists. 2 EFL games, 1 goal. Then Walcott joined Southampton, and pushed him down the pecking order, before his big injury.

There's always a weird air of negativity around him in relation to Ireland discussions, which I don't quite understand. He's one of the lads to be most excited about imo. The fact Swansea wanted him last year in January, and came back for him now is serious testament to his ability. I'm fierce excited about him anyway, love watching him play. Would be a fantastic partner for Parrott going forward. Works really well off that sort of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

I thought because of Covid that only pairs of tickets can be sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Hi all, planning on going to the match on Saturday evening, driving from the west - appreciate opinions on where to park the car? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I get a feeling the negativity is more around the fact that he broke through into the PL and then didn't push on. More of a frustration really given our dearth of quality attackers. It comes across as negative then as people speculate as to why he hasn't pushed on and then all the supposed issues, real or fake, get bandied about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

From what I have seen of Obafemi he is technically very poor. He can run and I think he can finish fairly well and is opportunistic, but he needs to improve a lot to be a PL footballer. I don't think it is negative to say that. It is just the way it is.

Connolly is a far better player technically.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would Randolph even pass a medical, even Woodgate passed comment that Randolph's medical to West Ham was the longest he's ever seen, and that's saying something when Woodgate makes that comment. I'm not surprised a move didn't happen, let's be honest but any team is taking a risk having a 34yr old third choice keeper whose probably never gonna be 100% fit starting or as back up on the bench.

Brady being a free agent can sign for a club whenever he wants, but think Brady himself could be pricing himself out of a move. Didn't he say he still wants to play in the Premier League? Think maybe Brady's expectations could be set too high and covid has affected the finances of everyone. Clubs aren't going to be rushing out to bring in a lad whose only played the equivalent of 51 games when you break down his minutes played since joining Burnley. And that includes league and cup games. Has Brady even been training with a club, as you often see clubs letting ex players just train for fitness?

I'm actually glad the Jamie McGrath transfer didn't happen. More so because Connor Ronan will more than likely play deeper now with McGrath staying at the club. As it's probably better for him to walk on a free anyway and take his time a little to assess which club suits him best next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I've a chip on my shoulder about a tax-payer funded, financial basket case, wasting money to appear "woke". When the womens team is generating as much money as they are recouping, i'd have zero issue with them being paid a % of that. A squad of 16 on €2,500 is €40,000 a game, they wouldn't take that in, in 10 home games.

I presume you feel the same about pretty much all Olympic athlete funding so?

if you only want money going out where it’s generated by the same specific group of people it’s going to, you’re instantly ending the vast majority of sports funding in the country.

And this isn’t even getting into the fact that the men’s team were happy to lower their own fees for the women’s to go up, so your pissing and moaning about costs doesn’t quite work. Our women’s setup was an absolute shambles. This, amongst other changes, are finally the first steps in the right direction. Delighted with it.

I've no interest in Olympic sports or funding, I do have an interest in football. So presume away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Park down near Ringsend Church and 2 minute walk across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Predictions for tonight?

I'll go for a very comfortable 4 - 0 to Portugal. 2 for Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I think I read a while ago that Brady is training over here, possibly at Abbottstown, in a bid to get himself fit.

6-0, 4 down at halftime. Portugal to rest players at 60 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

1-1 tonight. Jota will score for Portugal, anyone will do for us.

Portugal can struggle to break teams down at times - see Azerbaijan and Hungary games recently - if teams set out to frustrate them.

Still hard to see anything other than a Portugal win to nil unfortunately.

In terms of lineup, I expect we'll see something along these lines depending on which formation he wants to go with. The midfield options are from/tough to pick from. Only Cullen and McGrath playing regular but no way McGrath can go straight into a match like this without seeing how he adapts to international football first.

• Advertisement

Team selection I think Kenny will go with tonight:

--------------------Bazunu

-----------Duffy - Egan - O'Shea

Coleman - Cullen - Hendrick - McClean

-------------------Hourihane

---------------Parrot - Connolly

My biggest worry tonight isn't what's the scoreline gonna be, to me this is a nothing game in the sense that Azerbaijan and Serbia are the more important games where we're likely to pick up points.

My biggest worry is lads that could make the impact in those games get injured tonight knowing our luck. Lads like Coleman, Parrott, Horgan whose surprisingly being one of our better players since Kenny came in. Might not be a starter but could make an impact from the bench.

It's a pity the Azerbaijan and Portugal games aren't reserved and we play Portugal second. Could rotate certain lads out of the starting XI for that second game because three games in six days is gonna be tough. Made tougher if legs are heavy after cashing Portugal players around the pitch because Azerbaijans game plan is just to make it a nightmare for teams to break down 11 men behind the ball.

Anthony Barry better have some set piece tricks up his sleeve because that's our best way of opening them up. Score from a set piece which forces them to not sit back as much if they wanna get a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If Kenny is going to have Duffy and Egan playing out from the back, things could get real ugly. If Kenny was to be a bit more pragmatic, we could maybe make it a close game on a good day. I think we should be going long to get the ball into the opposition area and trying crosses and winning set pieces. Parrott could be a key player, he's got a real habit of winning free's in dangerous areas from what I've seen at club level. We should be trying to overload the opponents six yard box on such occasions, we have three weapons in Duffy, O'Shea, and Egan who have the potential to cause panic.

There is no evidence to suggest Kenny is that flexible unfortunately on any recent games. He has his game plan and wants to bed in change to how we play.

But because we are technically inferior against most continental sides playing them for 90 minutes at their game makes no sense for us. We can't do that.

I hope they try mix it up more but I don't see it.

A defensive display is the only hope of a close result.

As others say this is a free shot for Kenny. Regardless this game won't decide his future no matter the scoreline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Don't leave anything visible in the car. Put whatever you need to in the boot before you park.

You must forget the Hungary game. We were definitely more pragmatic in that match - we went long from the back when needed.

• Advertisement

Darragh Moloney and Ronnie Whelan on commentary for the match on RTE. Haven't we suffered enough as a nation???

And we've went from 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 to 3-4-3 or 3-5-2. Kinda flexible if you ask me.

Yea, I don't think it's fair to say Kenny won't try things. We also tried a high press for the Serbia game. It was effective for the first half, but we ran out of gas in the second half and got picked off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Billcarson

We need to be pragmatic in this match, thats for sure. If not we will be destroyed. I think we will be pragmatic.

When was the last time ireland lost 3 of their opening games in any group? 50 or so yrs ago?

Portugal 2 or 3-1. Duffy to nick a set piece one for us. A decent performance would do for me. Bigger games to come for Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

When was the last time our campaign was over so early ? Mathematically we not out but it’s over. Normally we still in the running with 2/3 games to go.

edit - answered above by sugarman

Seems since Barry has come in it looks more like Kenny is more open to trying different things. Not saying Kenny surrounds himself with yes men, and Barry speaks his mind. But he was a new voice that's never worked with Kenny either at club level or U21 where things were easier and four at the back worked well because of the players he had at the time.

Will probably turn out to be one of the best appointments the FAI has made in some time, and wouldn't be surprised if his name is thrown into the hat when the senior job becomes available.

I don't know much about him but having a coach that's highly valued by the current champions of Europe can only be a good thing.

Jammy win in Kazakhstan followed by 6-1 demolition at home to Germany if I recall correctly?

• Advertisement

God yeah, that campaign was an awful slog. Awful football, with no plan, or end, in sight. Especially grim after the embarrassment of the 2012 Euros.

I've since accepted that WC qualifying is just not for us for the foreseeable, the bar's too high to get too emotionally invested in. Best we can hope for is team and player progress, and distinct moments of joy amongst the disappointment! (cheery stuff, eh?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

We've basically no chance of winning this game, so much so that you'd nearly take a 2-0 defeat and hope nobody gets injured.

My big fear is we get a walloping tonight and the players heads drop and the pitch forks come out for Kenny before the Azerbaijan game. It's a must win either way on Saturday, but if we get hammered tonight I fear it will have a knock on effect for the next two games.

Can't see the FAI going for a relative unknown after the disaster that has been Kenny. Hopefully next week we'll be looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jaysus surely we have a chance we're not that bad. Well capable of getting a draw.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Looks like Byrne is back in the fold for now.

Tonight's game by right should be played after the watershed . Potential massacre and kids watching.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Kenny desperately needs a lifeline, here. Not losing would be a better result than he could probably hope to achieve, but it's what he'll be aiming for, nonetheless. Really depressing that Ireland are essentially out of the running at this stage in the campaign. Normally would be coming into the back half of a campaign with the anticipation that the team could somehow string together a few good results and really be in contention.

The problem for Kenny is that he's an LoI man who has so far struggled to get results with the team of professionals playing largely within the top tiers of English football. Like Steve Staunton and Brian Kerr, there's a feeling that you're taking a bit of a punt on the man and that he is untested at this level. With a more decorated manager, there can be a bit more leeway to say that the players just are not performing up to scratch, but it seems to me that someone untried gets criticised twice as hard. And when you have a bad run of losses under such an untried manager at this level, is there a subconscious feeling with the players, an inclination to not really commit themselves to the game plan because they don't think he knows what he's doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Beagslife

Anyone make it over and sort a ticket?

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Wish I could agree with you. A draw would be an incredible result. Reality is we are that bad. The worst Irish squad from a talent perspective since the early 70's.

Of course there is. That is not a fault of the players though, it's natural reaction.

This will be an appalling evening. Nearly time to open the whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Expectation for this game couldn't be lower, getting beat by a single goal would even be a minor victory.

Kenny's contract expires in a year and he's fast running out of games to demonstrate he deserves an extension. A third place finish in the group would be enough to persuade the FAI to give him another shot. If we finished 4th, or god forbid 5th, I think it's going to be hard to justify giving him a run at the Euro's.

The home game against Azerbaijan on Saturday could end up being the decider. I think it's a must-win for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Bazunu, McGrath and Connolly start

Bazunu, Duffy, Egan, O’Shea; Coleman, Cullen, Hendrick, Doherty; McGrath, Idah, Connolly

The mere fact you describe a game against Azerbaijan as a decider and 'must win' for the manager says it all about where we are right now. That's our competition. Not Serbia and Portugal.

Our only hope is that this is rock bottom now and the only way is up but I worry that even yet it could get considerably worse if that were possible.

• Advertisement

Replace Doherty with McClean and I'd be happy with that team. Possibly Molumby with Hendrick but hopefully he'll have a good few club games under his belt after this window

Connolly and McGrath are a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We're still good defensively and if we turned this into a dogfight we could really make them work for it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'm surprised Idah got the nod over Parrott since the latter's been playing and scoring. I guess maybe Idah is a little stronger at hold-up play.

Also never a fan of seeing Hendrick's name. Cullen's really gonna have his work cut out for him in the middle.

Ya Hendrick will be fine for fifteen minutes and then I'd imagine he'll blend into the background never to be seen again, hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement