Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

No problem having RL cameras, just put the phasing of the lights back to how they were, after all, people complain about exhaust fumes as being a big problem but insist on making vehicles wait at lights for longer periods idling.

I used to make use of the stop/start function on my car, now I switch it off in "traffic light" dense areas to enable quicker get aways on shorter green sequences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

i’d say it’s pretty safe to say that phone distraction and general inattentiveness at the lights accounts for much more delay than engine auto stop-start systems ever will. Seems a bit misguided to switch it off- just leave it on and be a bit kinder to the planet and those around you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, it's insane the amount of drivers that have their heads stuck in their phones when the lights go green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Phones play a huge part. Sometimes I like to walk by traffic and count how many drivers I can see with their phone out for an aul scroll it's always a very high percentage of the total and surprisingly or maybe not its not always the younger drivers who are the worst offenders.

Well I'd say your wrong, in my experience it's the time taken for a start/stop system to resume. Especially if it engages just as the lights change to green that holds me up, reset the traffic light sequencing to pre CoVid timings, simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have you spoken to the dealer about this apparently unfit for purpose equipment you bought?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why? Traffic issues should not be a reason to alter the sequence in a way that de-prioritises pedestrians.

If traffic (which you are part of) is too heavy for the junction then change your route or change your method of travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm all for prioritizing pedestrians but some of the changes made were stupid.

Busy junction and green light for a few seconds, barely enough time to get 3 or 4 cars through even with all cars taking off straight away, the traffic is created by the changing lights as every change results in a certain amount of dead/inactive time for the junction, the more changes the more inactive time when no traffic/pedestrians are getting through junction.

Cycling pedestrian lights at a junction even when no pedestrian has pressed the button, whats the reason for that.

I'm all for red light cameras though. If system is automated it really shouldn't take much resources. Camera and software detects someone breaking red, send the fine automatically with pictures or link to footage. Let the person appeal if they want and it only needs review then.

Maybe we default the lights to green for pedestrians, and have a little button on a pole for drivers to press when they want to get through? Or maybe a phone app to request a green light, seeing as most of them dive for the phone as soon as they get a red light?

Are pedestrian lights really cycled where no one presses a button? Where have you seen this happen?

• Advertisement

When you make idiotic arguments I assume you agree with me.

I don't for a moment believe most drivers dive for the phone, there is a lot but the vast majority don't.

On the south quays the junction onto Lombard street, normally has a flashing orange arrow, but I recently approached with no-one around and the light was red for turning right, with green pedestrian lights, OH said it has happened her a few times at that junction too.

Try cycling in the city. The elevated position gives you a great viewpoint to see the number of drivers with phones in hand or on their lap or tapping the dash mounted phone.

For Lombard St, it sounds like somebody pressed the button and crossed without waiting, leaving you some resting time on green.

For Lombard St, it sounds like somebody pressed the button and crossed without waiting, leaving you some resting time on green.

Thing is I approached the junction slow enough, its only 30km/h on the quays there, I was in the left lane as the right is terrible quality so had good view of junction and could see no one around. I'm doubtful myself as it seems bats**t crazy but I wouldn't put it past some idiot in the council. Also the fact OH is pretty confident she has seen it on occasion and travels that way a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

That light at Lombard Street is definitely on a timer. I've been stuck in traffic there, two or three cars get through, it goes red, people cross, it goes flashing amber, 2 or 3 cars get through again, it turns red, there are no pedestrians crossing (you might get a couple of bikes, who haven't pressed the lights), rinse and repeat. Other days, it's absolutely fine, no red unless someone has pressed the lights. No rhyme nor reason to it.

Why should pedestrians, who were prioritised ( rightly so, to prevent crowds from building up at crossing points during CoVid ) require so much time ( and therefore physical space ) require the same amount of time as before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Noticed this as i drive around these days, Maybe its people getting back on the road and forgetting the right way to drive.

Sadly only solution is cameras.

I had a conversation with a ( told me he was ) traffic light engineer/repair guy, he told me there are options with traffic lights, full auto via the road sensors is seldom set, mainly because of damage to the induction loop in the road.

Sorry, if your stop-start system is delaying you pulling away at all, then there's something wrong with your system. The engine should already have started by the time you've fully engaged first gear (assuming it's a manual gearbox) - and you couldn't have pulled away without having first gear engaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Most are run off a programmed logic in sync with others.

Rare to have Dublin ones running independently especially at peak times.

Ideally a road like the n2 from finglas in should all hit greens at speed limit driving on a clear run.

This is then altered to give best possible outcomes at heavier traffic.

Constant modelling is used to set up the relative green times.

Induction loop in Dublin be for 4am mainly.

That's how it's supposed to be.......

• Advertisement

Glad you clarified Manual gear box, I drive DSG and by the time the GB ECU and Engine ECU have decided what they are doing their is a perceptible delay

1. Covid has not gone. We are still "during Covid"!
    2. Why exactly should our junctions prioritise the cars over pedestrians?

How it's supposed to be! programmed logic with others sounds a bit high tech for poor ol' Dublin.

I do agree that if there are 2 or 3 sets within ear ( eye?) shot of each other then they are intended to be synced together, traffic lights on RaBs for instance but I know of no instances where roads and continuous sets of lights are set to prioritise traffic travelling at a certain speed, which IMO would go a long way to calming traffic.

So are you saying that your car is not able to drive around an urban area properly?

Dublin have had the capabilities for 30 years.

Was in their HQ around 2000 and was all up on screens back then.

Dunno if they use it or not....

Firstly CoVid will never be gone, so a pointless argument.

Secondly, motorised traffic (not just cars) requires much more fuel ( therefore produce more emissions ) during start stop driving than driving at a steady pace. Think analogous with cyclists always complaining of the effort to get started again after stopping at a red light so they don't

The very mention of "Dunno if they use it or not....." would seem to me to indicate you're sceptic of it either being used or working as intended

No I'm saying that with DSG boxes and engine ECUs it is very easy to catch them out, you know how a DSG box works don't you?

As covid will never be gone then why would you remove the protections to limit its spread?

As for cars and emissions, there is a simple solution to that. Limit access to cars in urban areas.

I'm quite aware of DSG. Still not the point. If a car is not able to manage being part of traffic then it should not be a part of it.

It means I don't know.

Would have to assume they do use it if they have it.

Be remise and unprofessional not to.

But I don't work for or with DCC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the thing is - i see outrageous RLJing at lights where short sequences have been implemented, and i see outrageous RLJing at lights where short sequences have never been implemented. this sounds like a crazy idea, but bear me out - what if the RLJing is happening without regard for the length of sequences?

one of the most recent examples i've seen is where someone came close to causing a significant collision coming off the M50, where the light they drove through only is affected in favour of pedestrians when there's one there to hit the button.

Did you not notice this problem when you were test driving the vehicle, before purchase?

Would you say we should treat flu or winter vomiting bugs the same every year, they never goes away but you we don't alter traffic light sequencing for them.

You do keep saying cars instead of vehicles, any alterations to traffic light sequences affect all traffic ( well maybe not the RLJ cyclists that we all see)

DSG and engine stop/start AND **** around with traffic light sequences do not make a happy mix, so I adapt the car by switching off the stop/start function, my problem is solved simple.

As to not able to manage being a part of traffic, then surely you can't be advocating cyclists to be treated as traffic and special arrangements be made for them?

Seems unlikely. If I was travelling to the office, I could spend a few minutes there filming to check it out, but I'm not.

If there is a problem with it, then report it to DCC traffic. They were very responsive when I reported a problem with the lights at Portobello earlier this year.

It's not a problem, I just switch it off, problem solved, kind of like when it gets dark I switch lights on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What car are you driving?

The engine should fire as soon as you press the clutch to engage gear...its imperceptible on any car I have driven.

/edit

I see you are driving an autobox, so thats different, but it should still be a miniscule delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It's made worse by cars ahead at lights with drivers on the phone, fiddling with central consoles / radios and being generally inattentive, wasting far more time than if he had been checking the junction carefully. A driver behind the dope and one or two cars will drive through, on the basis that if the car ahead had an attentive driver, there would've been a green for him. There are of course those, particularly Beemer or VW drivers who'll drive through solid reds because it annoys them. God help if I'm proceeding through another road feeding into the junction, as happened once with a red VW Golf. Unsurprising given the car/

If you have to switch it off, then its a problem!

• Advertisement

Full auto 24x7 up the road from me in Rathfarnham, very handy as its a 3 way junction on a narrow road.

No it's not, otherwise why have an on/off switch there in the first place if it's not to be used?

If it's not a problem, why were you using it to justify reducing time for pedestrians?

Because I postulated that the increased red light time introduced under the pretence of CoVid was directly responsible for some of the increase in red light jumping, the side effect being that I now use the start/stop on/off button in town to give an easier driving experience.

Justification for reducing the red light dwell time being that CoVid is no longer the excuse it used to be, otherwise why open up dining or pubs etc.

"under the pretence of CoVid"  FFS! (if we still had the rolleyes emoji, I'd place it here!)

Same reason your handbrake can be engaged or not, your hazard lights can be on or off, your windscreen wipers can be on or off... I've driven hire-car automatics and didn't experience the lag you're experiencing. It really shouldn't be there, the whole experience should be seamless for the driver. I'd get it checked out - it'll save you money in the long run, and cut down emissions for pedestrians and cyclists.

• Advertisement

I find that unlikely given the way DSG boxes work. They preselect the next gearshift depending on various factors such as throttle position, road speed, brake pedal activation etc. As most DSG boxes only have two clutches then the car is in the current gear and has only one other gear it can preselect ( up or down ) sometimes that will be wrong. If you've never experienced it then you are either not driving a dual clutch DSG, not driving enough or not experienced enough to notice.

So you agree then, the button is there to be used when you require it, just the same as handbrakes, hazard lights, windscreen wipers etc

🙄 what's wrong with that one, you're just lazy both in your posts and arguments

The changes weren't made under a pretence! They were made because we were in the middle of a feckin pandemic. The fact that you needed that explained to you reduces my already low opinion of you even further.

They were made when people were walking more in city centers, people who lived in city centers who were recommended to exercise with 2km of home, as that is no longer a requirement then retaining them under the pretence of CoVid is disingenuous at the very least but then I wouldn't expect you to understand logic🙄

• Advertisement
Advertisement