Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

I used on of these new fangled search engines (Google I think was it's name) and got this from a news site called BBC. This news site is quite obscure so I can understand how you missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Unsavoury gardening tools?😬

I wonder will they have these sorts of exchanges with non-Pashto speaking prisoners

Blackadder:

Oh, fire, fire. Ah good. Right. So let's recap. Um... if I admit that I am in love...

Torturer:

No! No!

Blackadder:

Sorry, head over heels in love with Satan and all his little wizards, then you will remove my testicles with a blunt instrument...

Torturer:

Una guada?a, una guada?a.

Blackadder:

...resembling some kind of gardening tool but we can't quite... um... and roast them over a large fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

Lots of discussion about all the military equipment that the Taliban now 'possess'.

But I can't see them ever using any of it.

Do they need any airpower for the parts of the country that they already control on the ground?

Hiluxes carrying guys stuck in the middle ages with AK 47s who are happy to carry out summary executions are all they need there.

The only territory to bring under their control is the the Panjshir valley and wouldn't they be better off playing the long game there and just isolate them until they start to run out of supplies?

ISIS-K will never openly confront the Taliban, no more than the Taliban themselves did.

There are so many hurdles to overcome to use the left behind equipment, training, fuel, servicing, parts, maintenance, etc that it's hard to see a business case for any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If the goal was to disable the equipment as efficiently as possible, the answer would be to remove or damage the electronic control units, after that, they're just steel and wiring to be recycled, no fire or explosions needed.

Anything not electronic (e.g. guns) would need to have some of the parts removed.

Not a single piece ever?

So not a single Taliban soldier will ever fire one of those machine guns or drive one of those trucks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Do you understand why the likes of the Taliban prefer AK's? Easiest weapon to use and will work in almost any environment. Have you any idea how hard it is to keep a modern day military weapon functioning? There's a reason why the army drills it into you to keep your weapon clean. Most of those guns (if they haven't had parts removed) will be useless within a year in that environment without the correct cleaning.

TBH I know feck all about military tech. But do you not agree it's a ludicrous overstatement to say none of the left-behind American kit whatsoever will ever be used by the Taliban?

Yeah obviously some of it will be used, how they use it is the million dollar question I suppose. Interesting times either way.

Well how do you expect them to use it? I suppose they could strap the night vision goggles to the Goats so they can get around in the dark. Maybe those helicopters might be handy as chicken coops.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yes the AK is easier and doesn't need the care and attention of some western kit, but availability was key to their use.

The Afghans (Mujahideen, Northern Alliance, Taliban) had ready supply when Soviets pulled out and even before that it was handy when you killed Red army soldiers and just grabbed their magazines.

You can source AKs from almost anywhere and don't have to worry about pesky arms embargoes from EU, NATO or the US.

Claiming they are a bit thick and won't have the wherewithal to use some of this kit is the typical US/British arrogant view of the enemy.

Their predecessors the Mujahideen managed to figure out how to stinger missiles and the like quick enough with basic training.

The very complex shyte may not be used since they don't have the training or willing trainers, some of the kit will be used until they can't fix it, but a lot of kit will be used.

BTW the Toyota distributor in Afghanistan must be licking his lips.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I would gladly take some of them off their hands for a few quid.

I am not allowed discuss …

"So not a single Taliban soldier will ever fire one of those machine guns or drive one of those trucks?"

The Taliban are global brand ambassadors for Hilux. They're not going to jeopardize whatever arrangement they have with Toyota to start driving something 2nd rate.

They had a good reason for using the Stingers, they targeted the MILs that the Russians used to move troops in and out.

For local population control, I just can't see them needing anything that technical.

As long as they stay true to their roots of barbarism and fear, they'll have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

The equipment left behind by the Americans even if rendered inoperable most certainly won't be going to scrap dealers.

It will be of great interest to the Chinese and Iranians...a virtual treasure trove for their engineers to sift through.

No doubt they will pay the Taliban a Kings ransom for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Thought the phrasing was interesting, who are the bad guys again?

https://twitter.com/i/events/1432658500455387138

The Times

@thetimes

Yesterday

Now in control of the US' largest Afghan base, the Taliban discover some of the horrors that took place thereBagram Air Base was the nerve centre for the US occupation of Afghanistan for nearly 20 years. A vast complex, the site was hastily abandoned following America's withdrawal.

Newly in control of the base Taliban leaders, many of whom were once held in prisons at the facility, take Times reporter Anthony Lloyd on a journey around the facility.

Photo via @thetimes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes , I understand that, a gentle tap in the Avionics section would cause havoc...and even if the rest of the aircraft was OK /Repairable and a new Avionics unit installed,it still would not work without programming, and I can't see the US giving access to anyone to their computers for programming. Add a little something to the fuel, and ditto!! Same result. But I was thinking more in line of a small explosive charge,,,,,one BOOM, and bingo not only does it look the look, it acts it too.,But the burning question still remains, how many operational units the Taliban have, and will they be able to use them?

"But I was thinking more in line of a small explosive charge,,,,,one BOOM, and bingo not only does it look the look, it acts it too"

Again, this isn't like in the movies, you need time to do this and you don't go setting off explosives when you have people around unless you're willing for those people to get hurt, a hammer will do as much damage to a helicopter just as well as one of your "small explosives" and is equally as effective.

You said literally none of the stuff left behind would ever be used.

I well understand what the use of explosives entails, and I know how simple it is to damage the electronics, but doing it that way means lots of usable parts still available. I'm pretty sure that explosives could be rigged so that the last man out trips the switch.

I said none of the military equipment. Now maybe some people on here consider a pickup to be military vehicle, but not where I come from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u91WGac2mbI

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Chinese already have exact clones of everything America has from the Chinese humvee to Blackhawk to f35s

They don't buy it they take directly from sources through hack's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Only for instances of breakdown, not deliberate destruction. The manual tells you what to destroy, so that the same component is destroyed on every aircraft or system. I don’t know about helos, but knock out the engine, breech block, radios and maybe FCS of a tank, and it’ll look fine at a cursory glance but be totally inoperable. Do the same on the tank next to it, and you still don’t have a working tank, even if you combine parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Taliban feels "Betrayed" that the equipment they are seeing left behind is broken beyond repair.

"Betrayed." lol

Again, stop watching so many movies, it's not like they can "trip a switch" and everything just blows, that's not how explosives work!

You also have the chances of collateral damage to anyone innocent in the area when said explosives go off.

In the time it would take to set up one "explosive" in a helicopter you could render 5 just as useless with a hammer.

I thought when they said some equipment was left behind it was a few bits and pieces, now it's been reported it's $85 billion worth 😮

But White phosphorus charges and grenades are more fun ...

I did read about the diplomatic sea stallion helicopters (similar to ch47) that they were flying people into Kabul airport since the evacuation starred were left inoperable but there is a video of the Taliban walking into a hanger with several of them with distinctive blue and white paint schemes ,none looked like they were physically damaged outside unlike the Blackhawk behind the dog crates .

I would have thought like manic said above there is certain damage that can be done , to kill vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Jaysus, shows how much of a bunch of mugs they take the US & the West for - already got their paws on most of the weaponry of the (fake) Afghan army, also expecting the US/NATO militaries would have left them more presents in the airport after pulling out!

Excerpt copied from the link you privided, Timberr,," Troops likely used thermate grenades, which burn at temperatures of 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit, to destroy key components of the equipment," USA Today reports, citing a Pentagon official, while "some pieces of equipment were likely blown up" at the airport."

Maybe they were watching the movies too?

One

Thermite grenades don't explode they burn very hot.

Two

"likely blown up" means they don't know, They may have blown some things up but there were no reports from journalists there and I'm sure there would be video floating around by now if they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That's already bunk.

So is the bunk about someone hung from a helicopter.

So is the bunk about dogs being left at the airport by US MIL.

It's so easy to produce bunk in a fluid situation like this and there's a lot to gain if you're trying to sow discord.

• Advertisement

Just putting it out there , but setting off explosions at an airport surrounded by bad guys with aks and RPGs and civilians would be a very bad idea when it comes to a highly stressed environment with lots of weapons on both sides .

Manual destruction would be a safer option ?

Advertisement