Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I'm assuming that the gigs that have already sold out before the announcement of 60% capacity will still allow everyone to attend, yeah? This part was thought-out and discussed with gig venues etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I literally said delta numbers are still tba and my guess of between 50 and 80 matches what the CDC report (edit: CDC is only reporting infection rates not transmission rates so the data is still not available for delta, please read the studies you post).

What is good is that you've finally gone and got this data yourself and won't be spreading information that vaccines don't reduce transmission in the future.

Repeat after me:

Infection rates =/= transmission rates

There is correlation between the 2, but vaccines being 94% effective against hospitalization and 40% effective against mild disease (for example) does not mean that transmission is reduced by 94% or 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭brickster69

That was against Delta, that does not count 🤣🤣🤣

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The gigs that have already sold out were likely at the old capacity of 200, so unless an outdoor venue has a capacity of fewer than 330 they are likely to no longer be sold out and should release more tickets... It's unlikely that the vaccine pass rule can be implemented after the tickets have been sold

Ah, my bad - it was someone responding to you who said infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

It would be much worse without vaccines, but it's still bad

If we have 3000 cases a day now, will be like 1,300 cases before and we all know how that ends

Every confirmed case resulted in 4.5% of them going to hospital in November pre vaccine's, now it's 2%

Cases can't go over 5,000 a day for too long without hospitals filling if CHR remains at 2%

100 admissions a day is unworkable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

So in conclusion - you admit that the efficacy against transmission is not known, despite all signs pointing to significant decrease relative to original strains.

Yet you assert that vaccines are 94% effective against transmission, in spite of actual evidence? SOunds like misinformation to me

Go back and read my posts again, go read the studies and come back with an informed decision on what you think the transmission (not infection!) reduction will be with vaccines vs. without vaccines.

And as I said, at least it will hopefully stop you confusing infection with transmission and stop saying that vaccines don't reduce transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

If efficacy against infection was 94% and 99% prevent hospitilsation the pandemic would be over here right now

3,500,000 adults fully vaccianted and 94%/99% means

Only 210,000 ( 94%) can be infected and of those 210,000 ( 99%) only 1% can end up in hospital 2,100

So we would have max 2,100 in hospital over 1 year, if we assume vaccines work for 1 year

365 days / 2,100 = 6 people a day in hospital over a year

Something tells me the vaccines are not 94% prevent infection and 99% prevent hospitilsation.

Depends on the context, we had 36 admissions to hospital in the last 24 hours, if that keep up we'd reach the figure of 100 in three days... We also had 41 hospital discharges in the last 24 hours though so that makes it much more manageable in the context

Source: COVID tracker app

NPHET's best case scenario from the end of June predicted 81,000 cases from July 1st to September 30th. There have been 80,539 cases since 1st of July

They predicted 1530 hospitalisations to the end of September. There have been 1592 since the 1st of July

If we get an average of 2,000 cases and 40 daily hospitalisations between now and September 30th we are looking at a further 60k cases and 1,200 hospitalisations to add to those figures... Where does that put us on NPHETs scale? I think it's only one tier higher, open to correction though

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Pretty much, looks like we were sold snake oil. But hey, Pfizer and the likes got to line their pockets at the expense of the tax payer so some here will be thrilled.

This is just demonstrably untrue, compare infection rate and hospital admissions pre-vaccine to post-vaccine, Delta caused a delay in reopening due to higher transmission rates but that just meant a higher % needed to be vaccinated and we are reaching that and cases are relatively stable at R0 ~= 1 and hospital/ICU admissions are matching the predictions.

Unless you're implying that SARS-COV2, COVID-19 and lockdowns is some sort of hoax used by pharma companies to get rich? (i.e. the money spent on vaccines is a small fraction of that spent on PUP or lost due to decreased economic activity).

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

You don’t think the guy who runs Pfizer isn’t rubbing his hands together at the thought of selling 5 million more booster shots in Ireland, never mind how much in the rest of the world?

again it’s not a simple black and white answer of “it’s a hoax by pharma companies or not” it’s a shade of grey. If you genuinely don’t believe certain corporate interests aren’t benefiting from the current situation massively and have a vested interest in seeing it continue in one guise or another for the longest time you are simply naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

Now it's Taoiseach's turn to explain himself to the Media High Priests.

On RTE Radio 1 now.

Basic line of questioning is are you at risk of angering the Covid Gods by opening up on October 22nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah Brian Dobson not too happy about the country opening up and doing his best to spread the fear,Wants the easing of restrictions paused in some parts of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

MM on the news at one. Very curious this question re piblic transport, seems no advice sought on the 100% capacity, Vacination levels really seems to be the only reasoning for yesterdays decisions (probably sensible), I'm not getting any real sense of a plan B, a little concerning and no, I'm not predicting doom and gloom but I seem to recall the lack of a plan B, biting the nation in the ass not so long ago.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

As much as RTE have been a joke throughout, that's not exactly accurate to be fair, he's asked a question in saying if X area of the country has high case rates would you consider a pause there and continuing everywhere else is exactly that a question, that doesn't equal wanting the easing paused.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Very curious also the decision on PUP, not even mentioned yesterday. MM has just confirmed those in arts and entertainment on PUP will not immediately move onto JSA this month if they were due to, instead they'll say on the lowest rate of PUP, €203 🤔 I'm somewhat baffled by this, how can one sector get perceived prferential treatment (not referring to €203 which is shocking), what about self employed on PUP, those still not recalled to work, other sectors still closed and there's still a few. The minister responsible already stated the PUP can not be viewed on a sectorial basis 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Many have heard and seen so many false and inaccurate claims on vaccines over various media platforms that with such large numbers having availed of the vaccines, from those I have talked to, it seems they really do not appear to care what reasons those that refused are giving. It appears to be somewhere between if you lie down with dogs you will get up with fleas, and your body integrity didn`t show much concern for anyone else so why should I be concerned now that you are not able to avail of a vaccine passport.

I don`t believe the vast majority of people got vaccinated based on a short term view. Far as I can see they recognised there was no viable short term possibility of reducing ICU numbers and deaths, and the only chance of doing that, especially when variants of concern surfaced, were vaccines. Either medium, or long-term for those that would require them. Similar to what they recognise with flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's kind of the wrong type of data when you look at managing cases. For example, if you say in a given week, that the numbers in hospital range between 300-350. That modelling data will just accumulate so you could have an extra 250 onto that weekly total, but offset in the real world by 200 discharges and an unchanging range of cases in hospital. Such a scenario of increases raises all sorts of alarms, that are mostly unwarranted. One can acknowledge that daily projections are important but these ballooning long-term totals are really not a useful tool for government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

I would be very surprised if the isn't a plan B, and possibly a plan C as well.

They're not going to announce it, though, as that would be all anyone would focus on and claim that they have no intention of rolling back any restrictions.

There was recognition that from a very early stage vaccine sterilisation of the virus to prevent transmission was not a possibility. Especially where in all likelihood the virus would mutate. The early efficacy for the then variant was just a welcome by-product. The primary aims were the efficacy in reducing serious illness and deaths from transmissions, both of which they are continuing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭brickster69

That's nothing 5 million. The EU ordered 1.8 billion a couple of months ago. Who is going to be paying 50 Euro for two shots now when you have to pay another 25 Euro six months later.

You can buy a J&J one for 7 Euro and that is only 1 dose.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Your statement is that we were sold snake oil (by multiple different vendors, not including those who dropped out when their trials didn't succeed). Do you now retract that piece?

The fact that vaccines are now being actively developed again is great news, they are low cost and highly effective at preventing diseases, they are also being produced by multiple companies, some off patent, ensuring future low prices.

But again, the evidence that they work exceptionally well is irrefutable, the cost to the taxpayer is much less than the cost of an ongoing pandemic and certainly a lot less costly than the treatments being developed for COVID-19.

In fairness to NPHET with all the abuse that has ben heaped on them, those are the only modeling figures I have seen in this whole thing that have been anywhere close to the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

So when exactly is the vaccine/immunity pass set to expire in Ireland?

I went for a blood serum antibody test the other week and was amazed to find out that I have no antibodies = no prior immunity, despite the fact that I haven't been overly cautious and have been at work the entire time.

I was hoping to have had prior infection to avoid taking the vax as the global push for immunity passports disgusts me hugely. Mainly a principled decision on my part since I'm youngish (early 30s) and am fit and healthy due to a combination of lucky genetics and a very active lifestyle full of exercise and good diet.

In the end I sold out and am going for a one and done shot tomorrow literally just so I can escape Ireland and go on holidays. As an anti-authoritarian weirdo I'm a bit disappointed in myself but I simply can't spend another full year stuck on this gloomy lunatic island, and the EU cert isn't set to expire until July 2022 at the earliest.

None of this is normal, proportionate or scientific. There was some good news yesterday about the relaxation of restrictions but the domestic vax pass is still up in the air as far as I can see so hoping someone can clarify when it's expiring here? Or have the government just cleverly outsourced the responsibility of vax passport enforcement to eg. concert venues?

Advertisement