Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Well they have greizman there on a higher salary now

All two years older, multiple serious injuries/players in decline, at least two rivals for the title have improved significantly, MC strolled to the title last year, what’s your point? Are you saying this team is the same/as good as summer 2019?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Infairness to Chelsea they have been operating on a self sufficient model for a while now, they brought in lukaku but sold about the same.

I'm just frustrated, we put together this world class XI on a shoe string and just haven't added to the squad to keep it fresh and competitive. No one is asking for 100m signings but a youngish experienced midfielder and a forward with potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Oil tell you the difference between them and us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

There's more to it than the financing though. Would he have been guaranteed the same level of games as he will be at Chelsea? Probably not. If you're going on loan you probably want to be guaranteed to start every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I reckon the owners are looking at selling up as soon as the stadium is done,

Everything they are doing points at that, not spending on transfers; but at the some time singing all the best assets up to long deals ,

Just on the transfers window i don't think any of the top clubs have done as good business like some want you to believe,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Massive outlay of 12 million

Glad that's all over but if it blows up again we have to wonder why with this golden period of having world class players in most positions isn't being used to go for as much glory as we can. Invest when at the top to stay competitive.

We know what the lean years are like..don't want that back.

Christ, look at what Arsenal just spent. Wouldn't want any of the players they bought but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Think you just answered your own question there, in the last comment. Why buy players just because the cash is burning a hole in your pocket. If we have targets, Klopp will pinch them in his own time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Sure, they are self sufficient, if you discount the £1.3b Roman has pumped in to the club up to 2020. Of the current top 4 (last season) we and United are the only clubs that are self sufficient. Chelsea and City spend what they want as they have either a country to back them - pick and choose a new sponsor to pay for a player from that country - or an owner who benefited and now is spending money you can argue should be for the people in Russia.

You know what, give me moaning Liverpool fans any day over having to support a club like that. I don't know how I would be able to support a club like Chelsea or City, knowing where the money comes from. Yes it will mean we aren't spending £80m net every year, but at least we aren't buying success either.

And for those wondering where our money goes, we have a huge wage bill. Those players some despair are now wasting their talents at this club in their prime is being paid a lot of money. We were consistently top 3 in terms of wages the past 3 years. We have signed most of those players to new contracts as well. That costs money. You may not like to hear it, doesn't mean it isn't true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

It has been reported that the Brazilian football federation has asked FIFA to impose the five-day rule for their national team players at Premier League clubs. It means that the players won't be able to play for the clubs for 5 days after the international break so Liverpool would be without Alisson, Fabinho and Firmino for the Leeds game.

What if the Premier league tell Fifa to do one ?

They already did that when they decided to not release national team players for countries on the UK's red list. This is the fallout from that decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Firmino is injured so makes no difference to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Was there not plenty of articles out in the past that much of our increased wage bill was due to incentives and bonuses and not a flat salary. Our wage bill increased when we won the league. Since we won nothing last year should the wage bill for last year not be far lower than the previous year.

As for the owners and their intentions, all you can do is interpret certain signs how you wish. My own opinion is that they are trying to maximise the value of the club and a potential sale will coincide with the season Klopp leaves. We have spent nothing really since Covid hit, far less than even middle table clubs. Some might call it prudent, others might call it frugal.

I think it will bite us if the Egyptian FA decide to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Last year's wages will be lower but this year will be back up because everyone signed new contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Who says they're in decline? Some had a poor year last time out but doesn't mean its terminal. Injuries are injuries hasn't seemed to have any detrimental affects on the players concerned. Time will tell on both counts but that manager doesn't seemed worried so why should we be given we know significantly less about the squad than he does?

MC got 87 points last season, given the previous years, hardly a stroll and a points total that we as well as others are well capable of exceeding. Including MC.

Yes I am saying our squad is at least as good as it was in summer 2019 until proven otherwise. I'm taking last season to be a blip and even in that blip we were well in the race until a mental run of defeats at the start of the year. A very out of character run of defeats too.

Listen I'd have loved another couple of players in and I think it's a mistake not to do so but I can think that and still be happy about the ability of the Squad we have. The other clubs have spent money and spent it well but the reasons they had to was to try reach the level that Man City and ourselves set in the last few years. We're already at that level if players maintain top form and stay fit. Which is the big question for any squad not just ours.

Nobody knows why we didn't do sign some lads, we've shown in the past the club won't settle for second best, they wait for their man, maybe that's it. It's pointless blaming the owners when nobody knows the actual reason for us not signing any which I'd imagine are many in number and more complex than the FSGOUT brigade try to portray.

And genuinely, not aimed at you in particular but I've asked on twitter under some FSG out tweets and got no response so I'll ask here too. If they left, who do we want in?

Billionaires aren't known for buying things that's cost billions. It's why they're billionaires. They'd rather buy cheap and increase its value. Which is what FSG did. Hell even when we were cheap we didn't have billionaires queuing out the door to buy us. The only club I can think of where it happened is United and we all know what they did with the money it took to buy them at top whack. Nobody wants that.

Anyone who is FSG out needs to think of the realistic alternative which is probably only the Saudi government and I for one want nothing to do with a club run by them. Not that it matters since they won't even stump up the cash it takes to buy Newcastle for a few hundred million, nevermind 1.5 billion plus for Liverpool.

FSG and the club in general will live or die by their decisions, I doubt we'll ever know why those decisions were made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Incredibly frustrating transfer window for Liverpool. The CB signing was making up for last summer's failure to get one in when Lovren was sold. I can see the reasons why, but Konate's transfer is still a reactionary one. We are still missing a midfielder & attacker. Arguably Liverpool have the best 11 in the league, give or take, but Klopp is totally hamstrung by finances, net spend & squad depth yet again this season.

There is not enough quality in reserve to compete for the big trophies, especially up front. One injury & panic sets in. Look what is currently happening with Firmino out. Both Salah & Mane will be gone to AFCON in January. Rivals have players like Cavani, Rashford, Sterling, Mahrez, Foden, Pulisic,Werner etc as back up/rotation players. We have Origi & Minamino. Every Liverpool midfielder will miss games through injury this season. It's going to be a fine line between managing minutes in certain players and trying to balance form and fitness. We saw it in the last game where Klopp was too worried to start Keita again, because of minutes and worries over getting injured on International duty again. Gini has not being replaced - he played 38 league games last season. No midfielder will replicate that this season.

The squad size has reduced over the last 3 years, more senior players have left the club than come in. Since winning the CL, the transfer windows have some moves in a bid to reduce wages costs and move people off the books, replacing them with younger cheaper players. Of course this can work in some scenarios but doing it across the board makes me think it's for other reasons. Mignolet -> Adrian, Shaqiri -> Elliot, Lallana -> Jones, Clyne -> Neco Williams. I'm aware that there are some on the flip side, such as Sturridge -> Jota, albeit a year late, Lovren -> Konate, albeit a year late, Moreno -> Tsimikas, again a year late. I don't think there would be a massive increase in wages with those 3 acquisitions. There actually could be a saving. There was a £13m net profit on transfers in that time also.

Milner's contract is up this summer, as is Origi's. There is a need for a midfielder & attacker in the 21-25 year old bracket. Ready to come in and supplement the squad but also ready to overtake a player in that position in the next couple of years. The midfield is not getting any younger. Maybe the club have hope for Jones to eventually move into the midfield role and be a star man but I don't think he is ready to be that man now, and that is what is needed. Fans aren't even asking for the big household names in the £70m-£100m range that other clubs crave every year. But the smart signings like Jota were needed & Liverpool have a brilliant success rate in the lower £35m-£45m range. These had to be done this summer, but again no investment. Are they waiting for the attack to break down this year, and address the issue next summer? Like what happened with defence last summer? It seems that it could be.

EDIT: have no idea how that emoji is there, but it is quite apt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Did anyone consider that they knew gini was leaving this year and replaced him with Tiago a year before to bed him in.

They also bought jota last year in the middle of c19 with a very little upfront payment and the fee kicking in this year.

Should also consider that they had targets but for one reason or another couldnt get them this year and are willing to wait until january or next summer. Remember they waited for virgil as they knew who they wanted and were willing to wait to get the best rather than a substandard second choice.

Also tieing down the big players on new longer contracts was the priority and you could argue this was more important trying to replace allison or virgil would be a nightmare

Yes I would have loved the buss of a load of new signings but I am old enough ( unline most of the fsgout on twitter) to remember the h& g years and also the end of the moors era and far prefer the fsg era.

Agreed. How we do this season, whether Salah commits his future to the club, whether Bobby and Mane can discover form, and what we do in next summers transfer window reacting to what this season brings will for me give the best indication of where the owners stand with regards what they see as success and how much they will commit to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Our wages increased from £208m in 2017, £264m in 2018, £310m in 2019 and £326m in 2020. We were not successful (trophies) in 2017 or 2018, yet our wages increased substantially. The players responsible is still with the club and their wages still need to be paid.

We don't know how the structure of the contracts work, but the incentives could be very achievable for the players. So getting top 4 may mean a bonus, getting 3rd a bit more. Then individual incentives as well. I think the wages will go down next year, but we will have to see by how much to get an idea how much the bonuses are.

In any case, the end of the year finances don't care about bonus or flat salaries, it is the total amount that is important. We pay a lot, we are successful. That is all there is. We can pay even more for more or other players, but it will hit our wage to turnover ratio. At the moment it is 66% of the amount. I think that is at the higher end to be a sustainable club. All figures from this webpage,

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1387289838781714432

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

That emoji is massive

I would say Mane/Bobby/Ox loss of form is more than just a blip.

MC won the league last year by 12 points from MU, a team that were never going to catch them, that’s a stroll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Feels like we are in latter day Wenger era Arsenal territory at the moment where the owners are happy doing the bare minimum as long as we get at least 4th place. We have a high wage bill but basically don't spend any money on transfers. And the little we do spend we offset with sales. And actually usually make a tidy little profit. It's a gamble from FSG that they barely got away with last year thanks to a great run to end the season. But the thing with continually gambling by doing the bare minimum is you eventually get caught out. They are banking that Klopp's sheer force of will and ability can keep Liverpool up there.

I think United will be a worse team with Ronaldo,

I read he was in the bottom 2 % of forwards in Europe top leagues with regards pressing last season

United struggle to conrol possession already with Pogba & Bruno in the side its one of the reason's they draw so many games because the other team always has the chance to create a chance, Ronaldo to the mix & its going to be worse

Ronaldo himself will score goals but i think the team will suffer ,also himself & Bruno don't really work well for Portugal in the same team so that will be interesting

Post edited by yourdeadwright on

I can't quote part of the post but you say the squad has gotten smaller, it hasn't, you are not including taa, gomez, Jones or Elliott stepping up, only looking at signings and sales .AFCON is a worry, could we get a transfer in quick enough if needed, not sure the exact date the window opens, at a glance Brentford and Palace are two games possibly missed depending on how far they proceed etc.

Taa and Gomez have been in the squad and first team longer than 3 years so your mention of them does not refute his point. Jones hasn't been used this season. Last season he got some starts because of our injury crisis and putting our regular starting midfielders in defence. He had some decent cameos that showed potential and the rest of his games he was completely anonymous. Jury is still out on whether he can feature regularly in games for us.

He counting squad numbers by transfers in and out, that is a flawed way to say the squad is smaller now, back in 2018 they were not as important to the squad, Jones will be an important player this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Why would I include TAA & Gomez when they were both already established in the squad for years previous? Both had 2 full seasons as established first team players, along with their other seasons as youth players. It is based on summer 2019 onwards. They didn't become first team players that summer.

And I did mention how Neco Williams, Jones & Elliot have been promoted. I said how we had released or sold senior players within the squad and replaced them with these youth players. Youth players cannot be expected to be a main staple of a title challenging or winning squad. They should be supplementing it, with a view to eventually becoming part of the first team as they mature and develop. I also spoke about Jones more so - "The midfield is not getting any younger. Maybe the club have hope for Jones to eventually move into the midfield role and be a star man but I don't think he is ready to be that man now, and that is what is needed."

Their midfield is poor and I agree they will have even less control of games now with Pogba, Bruno and Ronaldo running around but they have alot of attacking brilliance. I would strongly be of the opinion you can't win this league without a top no.6/defensive midfielder. Still I don't expect the goal output of United to increase, as Ronaldo will take Bruno penalties and he will take the free kicks despite been awful at them.

I wouldn't go that far and for such a self sufficient club/model it would be ridiculous to discount the lost revenue due to Covid but I just have that sinking feeling we aren't capitalizing on a great manager and first XI. The back 5 are the best around, best DM in the league, one of the Top 5 forwards in the world in salah, the midfield and forward line just needed a little bit of quality competition. They could be sub 20m players or even loans, no one is asking for 100m buys.

I fully understand the wage bill has soared, that is the cost of success and to keep world class players but we can't stand still.

A forward player like Jota was badly needed last season because Klopp wasn't giving minutes to Origi and Shaqiri. In the 2019/20 season, Origi and Shaqiri had played 703 and 181 minutes in the league respectively. 2021/22 is the fifth season of Firmino, Mane and Salah as our first choice forward line.

Jota missed half of last season but he featured in every league game for which he was available and played 1,112 minutes, scoring 9 goals. In his absence, Origi and Shaqiri appeared for a combined 732 minutes in the league games and contributed 2 assists. That's a massive contrast in fortunes for the players that Klopp didn't want to use but equally didn't appear to want to get rid of.

Salah : 3,082 minutes, 22 goals 5 assists

Squad: 37, Starting eleven: 34, Substituted in: 3, On the bench: 0, Suspended: 0, Injured: 1

Firmino : 2,852 minutes, 9 goals, 7 assists

Squad: 36, Starting eleven: 33, Substituted in: 3, On the bench: 0, Suspended: 0, Injured: 2

Mane : 2,812 minutes, 11 goals, 8 assists

Squad: 35, Starting eleven: 31, Substituted in: 4, On the bench: 0, Suspended: 0, Injured: 3

Jota : 1112 minutes, 9 goals, 0 assists

Squad: 19, Starting eleven: 12, Substituted in: 7, On the bench: 0, Suspended: 0, Injured: 17

Origi : 181 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists

Squad: 26, Starting eleven: 2, Substituted in: 7, On the bench: 17, Suspended: 0, Injured: 0

As a percentage of the available minutes in league games for the three forward positions:

Salah : 30%

Firmino : 27.8%

Mane : 27.4%

Jota : 10.8%

Origi : 1.7%

Moving Wilson, Shaqiri, Origi and Minamino on this summer and replacing them with another 'Jota' would have made a lot of sense. There was plenty of supposed agent talk about the club having interest in the likes of Bowen, Daka, Malen, Doku, Sarr and Raphinha but it amounted to nothing. I would imagine it's difficult to convince agents that their clients are going to get sufficient minutes on the pitch when the experience of Shaqiri and Origi under Klopp is plain to see.

Securing another viable rotation option might also increase the quality that Mane and Firmino have to offer when they're on the pitch. A three tier hierarchy in the forward line (Salah: 30%, Firmino & Mane: 21%, Jota & X: 14%) would have refreshed the lineup and prepared us for the inevitable succession process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If all of which is spoken here is true, it makes Klopp a puppet for the owners. I really find that hard to believe, it's more likely that it's Klopp who is happy with his squad, and doesn't want someone just for the sake of it.

I mean answer me this.... who could we have signed that goes into the team?? That's the thing, the first 18 players we have are still the best in the league,

Elliott can also play in front 3, so we have 5 to pick from there, add Ox to that, at a push.

Do we drop Alisson, Fab, Henderson, Rob, Trent, Matip, Salah, Jota, Mane,

I don't see how anyone is available in the market that makes our team. In a few short weeks if we need a solid bench warmers we'll get one, if we get injuries, but at the minute we're stronger than anyone with our 18, even if the likes of City and United and Chelsea have 29 established players to choose from.

We also have 29, but make it up with people who will never see the bench, let alone the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

football is nothing without the fans they say,well,right now,we are nothing without jurgen klopp...

this club would be still struggling to win things,to keep players. the owners have overseen a transformation of the stadium,its surroundings,the team,the global brand..all whilst we fund ourselves, we are a perfectly run club,successful both commercially and on the pitch. im certain if there was a model of how to be successful at the very top whilst staying incredibly solvent,it would be our model.

however, that all falls apart when klopp goes, there isnt another like him,no rose tinted glasses here,he's unique . if they cause him to leave,there will be mayhem.

the alternative owners,well we have had the other side,almost broke us..... be careful what you bay for lads... id love a fresh influx of talented players as much as anyone,its frustrating,but we literally have no idea whats in the pipeline ,already planned..player wise.

trust klopp,sounds corny,but unless he says otherwise then im cool with the owners.

andfield was a kip,area a sheethole,embarrasment.

we are massive again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

At the peak of their powers sure we have the best 18 in the league or close to it but we havent seen Mane or Firmino at the peak of their powers for years now tbf. I'm hopeful Mane can get back to something like his best but you gotta remember when he was at his best he was being talked about by most people as being one of the top 5 or top 10 players in the world...he could barely control a football for most of last season. Firmino hasnt been near his peak for well over 2 years now imo.

Always find it funny that G Nev had Rashford in his team of the season last season even thought Mane managed the same amount of goals in less games in his wort season ever ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be honest, if only Mane recovered his goalscoring form (and I could see it happening, given how grim a year last year was for him), that would be enough. Bobby will always pick up ~8 goals, which is enough if he's doing the pressing and intercepting work he always does, and actually I think he's looking generally sharper now than he has for a while. I think we get a bit greedy sometimes, demanding 3 freescoring forwards, when really we'd be in great shape with 2 regular scorers and a link-man.

Generally I think this year will be a whole different kettle of fish for most of the teams and players in the league - I think maybe we all sometimes underestimate how grim last season was in contrast to their usual lives. Especially all the foreign lads trapped so far from home, and the slog of going around to all these empty stadiums just sitting in hotel rooms not allowed to go do things, or isolated training, and just sitting at home most of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If Salah and Mane stay fit, we'll be grand. If not, we're in trouble. Annoying we couldn't bring in proper cover and have to rely on them being machines for 50 games yet again, but it is what it is.

I also worry about RB cover for Trent more than I do midfield, so let's hope no issues there either.

I do wonder what Klopp would do if Salah was out for a while, though. It might mean a complete change in formation rather than trying to have someone take up that RW slot. I can't remember what way we lined up against Barca actually, thinking about it... Was it still 433? Shaqiri was wide right to start I'd guess, but he was LW when he crossed to Gini.

Don't think I'd like a few games with Elliot or Taki playing RW, in all honesty.

Phillips with the progress he made last season will now see his career stall again which is quiet sad for him.

Origi dropping down to not even making match day squads is really sad to see.

Karius will probably have to head to the States next season on a free to try an kick start his career again.

I can understand Karius not getting a club just simply down to his confidence being totally shattered, However I am really surprised no clubs made realistic offers for Origi & Phillips both would have gone for £12m to £15m if bids in the last week came in which even in this covid market would be good value for money.

I'd like to see us play a 4231 at times,

----------------------Ali------------------------

TAA--------VVD--------------Matip-----Robbo

-----------Fab--------------Thiago--------------

Mane--------------Bobby-----------------Jota

----------------------Salah----------------------

The 2/3 could be made up of quiet a few of the squad

------------Hendo-------Jones---------

------------Fab-----------Hendo-------

Hendo-------------Keita------------Tsimikas

Elliott-------------- Ox-------------Minamino

Just a few ways of doing it.

Is that Jordan Henderson you've got on the right wing?

Matip and Gomez breaking down is inevitable, in my view Philips will still get game time, even with Konate there.

I want to see more of Minamino and Origi now, we need to be rotating them into strong teams not rag tag cup selections expecting them to perform.

One thing i will say for Takki is has he ever got to play with the proper first team ?

I can't recall him starting with everyone else, His style of short one touch passing works better with better players , although i'm sure Klopp see's more than enough to decide in training ,

I 100% agree but sure there's no hope he wouldnt have been in their team if he wasnt english and playing for Utd obviously. Same way Foden made it in last year. Didnt Foden make it in ahead of Salah or someone of that ilk sure??

Again I agree with all of this and have commented previously how Mane was already looking as sharp as I've seen him for a long time in the first two games. Still think we could have really used a St Maximin or Perreira of West Brom type as a 5th option. I mean, we have 4 options for 3 spots up front. That's clearly living life on the edge.

Would like to see us try something similar myself. We have been playing 433 an awful long time now and the better organised defences are coping better with it. I think 4231 gives us more opportunity to play more often in high and wide positions to work behind the lines rather than the slow passing in front of defences we see recently. More goals in the team too. Certainly worth trying in games we are expected to control the lions share of possession. Give Bobby conplete freedom to roam.

One obvious downside is it leaves nobody on the bench in attack to make an impact.

Well, we could try it with Minamino on the left or Elliot on the right with Salah being the 1 up top but yeah it leaves us a bit light alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The 7 nil against Crystal Palace, is the only time I recall him starting in the full team (Salah was rested). For some reason don't think he played again before he went on loan to Southampton.

Advertisement