Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a FB marketplace scam?

Options
  • 01-09-2021 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Am seller on marketplace of 1 item. has been up for couple of months.

Got interest form a person in uk. seemed ok. he paid full asking price & tracked postage

to his town. Got paid into my paypal a/c. Ready to post item.

Next day all messenger msgs are deleted. was checking to make sure I had postal address right

before sending. Strange to delete all msg before receiving the item.

looked online at different scams related to marketplace re. using paypal

Sounds dodgy? Should I post?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did he pay via paypal friends and family?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sinesprockett

Don't think so, just says payment completed by '_ _'

Was another fb user who asked was item still for sale. I had begun talking to the now buyer, but no payment had been made at that time, so said yes, item still for sale.

Payment made yesterday. This morning both the buyer msg s and this other interested person both gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,065 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm confused. Did the money land in your account or did they post screenshots?

It has landed in my a/c, yes .

Got a bit angsty, when saw that phishing scams send seller fake paypal emails and verification links to get u to pass on your info. Just thought it was so strange that the buyer would delete all our interaction messages from the marketplace before receiving the item. Made me question the whole sale.

I maybe being paranoid..

right, but was the payment sent as "friends and family"? if it was sent as a regular paypal payment the buyer can open a dispute and say you sent them an empty box. Is the item so rare and interesting that a UK buyer would buy from Ireland pay the extortionate shipping costs?

• Advertisement

Think is marked as sale item and is a regular sale. I did see that as part of scams. In the msg between on the fb messenger, I had said I would check postage and tell him full amount. Postage was 14 euro, with tracking, so not much. I said when I posted it off, I would msg the tracking number to him.

He said fine.

Now that whole interaction re the sale is deleted, which just seems crazy, if he was waiting for the tracking number.

What is the purpose of the empty box scam?

And it's a fairly cheap original charcoal sketch, nothing that would break the bank..

Really appreciate your thoughts, thank you

what is the purpose? they get your item and get a full refund including the postage you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

I think FB might delete/remove the conversation from messenger when the item is marked as sold...? Anyone else see this?

As u can tell now, I'm fairly new to this, but if I can prove I posted the item, is it just not their word against mine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

You are responsible for the goods until they are delivered to the buyer. And if you have no proof that they have been delivered to the buyer then paypal will side with them in a dispute. And you will then have no payment, no product and be out of pocket for the postage.

If it smells fishy then walk away. And in this case that is what I would be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

yes walk away, issue a refund.

Advertisement