Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Network But Still Under Contract

• 01-09-2021 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I'm with Vodafone on bill pay and I still have 4 months left to run on my contract, can I keep my same number if I switch to a new network on bill pay?

This may seem odd but I've broken the device, the cost of repair is €180 at least and it seems pointless spending that on a device which I'm just going to upgrade in a couple of months anyway. Vodafone are offering me no way at all to upgrade the device with them until November, which is useless as I need a phone.

Comments

You'll have to pay the remaining 4 months. So for example if you were paying €50 a month then you'd have to give Vodafone €200 to finish your contract. Otherwise they won't release your number when you try to switch.

Personally if I were you I wouldn't take out any more contracts. They're an absolute rip off in this country and you're locked in. Just buy a phone outright and get 48 or Gomo. Save yourself a ball of cash. And you're not tied into anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You can, but you will have to pay the remaining minimum term of your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Makes sense, if I do pay off the remainder of the contract in a lump sum, do you think I'd be able to transfer my number to a new phone immediately or does it take time?

Once you pay it off you're out of contract and can switch immediately. Your number will be transferred to a new SIM, not a phone. You can put your new SIM into any phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭grinder23

You can move as long as your bill is up to date at the time you move then you'll just receive a final bill from them for the remainder of your contract, they wont/can't block you moving beforehand as long as you bill is up to date. Then even if money tight you could pay them €50 a week to clear the last bill so you wouldn't be barred from going back to them in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

End result is I bought a phone and I'm going to cancel my Vodafone contract in December and go with GoMo or one of those services. I would've been happy to pay for the remainder of my contract in order to get an upgrade for a further 2 years but Vodafone were having none of it and their in house tech guy was quoting €180 minimum to fix the phone (one which I was always going to get rid of in 2 months anyway) so ye they really were not much help.

Advertisement