Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2021 Irish EV sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Had a disaster in Cashel a couple of months ago with busy chargers - hit Donegal there last week and the fast charger in Monaghan (50kw) was busy on the way up, had to use the Rex, killybegs 50kw was busy with a leaf & i3 and Laghy &. Monaghan 50kw were busy on the return leg so I rex’d most of the journey. It’s like 2017 when chargers were busy with free loaders or broken, only now it’s genuine people with too few charge points.

We ordered a new car based on the assumption that we cannot access the public fast charging infrastructure and went for the biggest battery available, it bumped up the price and delivery time but queuing and faffing around motorway services is never a pleasurable experience and can’t be entertained with kids on board.

I would happily pay more for a service that worked and had availability of chargers, I know Tesla are nearly there with that set up but the M3LR is out of reach.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’ve an SR+ and can comfortably get around most of the country with it….. North Westbof course is a bit of an issue, but I had no issues charging in Mayo last week (or Kerry the week before).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well according to Elon the SuC network is being opened up to other car brands

Not ideal for Tesla owners in the short term, but I'll happily pay whatever rate is demanded to use that network

It's actually quite handy for Ireland as the Superchargers plug some of the gaps where there aren't any other HPCs

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Once the remaining planned ones go in, there's a whole chunk of the country opened up by Superchargers alone..

You'd hope also that more could go in too as the network gets busier and revenue grows, as well as existing sites expanding.

I'd love to see one in or around Sligo, Derry & Waterford/Wexford (M9/M11), and perhaps Longford, then on services/retail parks just outside the M50 (M3 Services/Kill/Liffey Valley/Blanch etc..)

As can be seen with Cork & Enfield, they don't need to be going into motorway services (though it is handier), so they can be scouting out any and every location now for possible sites.. hotels, retail parks, shopping centres etc... With the potential opening up of the network, they should be looking to install a sh1t tone of hubs here, because nobody else is!!.... (how many years we reckon til the next eCars Mayfield style hub?)

Anyone want to make predictions for the August sales?

I'm guessing the ID.4 is going to continue doing well, given how I keep walking up to other people's ID.4s in car parks and wondering why they aren't opening (damn blue, I knew I should've gotten the yellow) 😁

Given the number of Leafs that sprung up in my area recently I'm starting to think they're breeding them or something, so they'll get a high spot

Did any of the Model Y's make it out here? I assume they're all LHD for the continental customers

Model 3 isn't due a delivery until next month so I'm guessing only a trickle, if any

Enyaq should see some sales picking up, athough I suspect VW is hoarding the semiconductors for the more profitable ID.4.

A few Ioniq 5 sales as well, but probably low volume until next year at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

The 0% finance for ID.3 should be taking effect this month too.

id love to know what volumes would be like without the semiconductor shortages. Reckon Skoda could have sold many enyaqs by now without the supply constraints.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Probably a bit of a drab month for EVs. You've kinda summed it up. Enyaq will have a few, but low on supply. Ioniq 5 hasn't hit the ground running with sales yet. ID.4 seems slow to get people their cars so I can't see that having stellar numbers. Maybe the 0% finance on the ID.3 will help it along. Nissan will probably be as steady as ever with the Leaf (good price and good finance). Nothing much else making the headlines as far as I know. Audi might sell a few, but at their price point it'll likely be low numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No Y's for sure, RHD will come from Berlin and Euro LHDs all coming from China at present

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yeah there's definitely a few brands are in serious "not bothering" territory (finger pointed at you Stellantis).

You'd wonder what the logic is, I'm not an expert of business or marketing, but I'm pretty sure rolling over and letting the competition sweep the market isn't a winning strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Maybe its an Irish distributor thing but its unfair on Stellantis to put a "not bothering" tag on them.

Imo they are delivering decent EVs albeit based on ICE platform.

I bought my Ioniq but the decision to buy that over the Corsa was driven by being an EV enthusiast.

I wanted the Ioniq based on wanting to avail of the opportunity to own an iconic car (classic 28 kwh) in EV circles.

At this moment in time Stellantis would be top of the list to replace my Ioniq.

Not keen on ID3s etc

Hyundai seem to want to do over sized over powered chariots right now. No classic Ioniq replacement apparent yet.

I would like Stellantis improvements in the following....

1) efficiency.

2) Ioniq or Golf sized cars

3) id like a 60 kwh plus battery option - Stellantis do it on vans already.

Just my thoughts.

• Advertisement

Oh their cars are great, e-208 is a nice EV with decent range and charging speed and blows the Leaf and Zoe out of the water IMO. Same for the Corsa-E

But the sales figures aren't so good. My guess is that the sales staff are selling just enough to meet targets and satisfy immediate demand. They don't seem to be under pressure to sell EVs and so only a trickle are making it out to customers who were already set on going electric

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

The aug numbers are out - the usual guys at the top, maybe the only surprise was the ID3 deliveries outselling the ID4 for the first time in a while - microchip production related, perhaps.

the Niro split the 2 VW’s, all 3 of them well ahead of the others.

47 of the new bmw iX3 delivered, just behind the Q4 eTron.

39 ioniq 5 and 34 enyaq.

2 Tesla’s registered from the 831 EVs in Aug, which is obviously delivery related. Both M3.

www.beepbeep.ie

Post edited by sk8board on

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Was the eNiro not in 2nd place with 135 sales.

1st. ID.3 142

2nd eNiro 135

3rd ID.4 113

ID.3 had 0% finance so that probably helped sales a bit.

Leaf is the biggest shocker for me. 6th best selling EV in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

The eniro had 0% hire purchase as well.

Correct sorry! - I updated the post 👍. The top 3 were well ahead of the others, but the order is id3, niro, id4

The iX3 is probably the big surprise.

@ €70-78k it isn’t cheap for an x3, and presumably the model Y is in the same price range but god knows when it’ll arrive.

i wonder how many iX3 buyers gave up waiting on Tesla once an alternative came along

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There is always an initial batch of cars registered for dealer use. The iX3's could well be those.

The 39 Ioniq 5s were the surprise to me, was expecting the Ireland allocation to be half that

Although it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the year goes, I think I heard there's no more coming in for 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There’s 30 dealers listed on Hyundai Irish site. Didn’t each get a demo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

The EVs have 7.33% market share YTD in 2021 versus 3.75% in 2020 or 2.59% in 2019. As absolute figures go is 7k in 2021 versus nearly 3k in 2020 which is more than double. However, diesel is still in the first place and petrol sees a 5.7% compared to 2020. PHEVs have seen the highest increase.

VW sold 11.7k cars YTD, from which nearly 20% are electric. Kia 13.44%, Hyundai 5.4%, Audi 6.99%, BMW 2.1% (side fact diesel BMW 49.43%, 20% increase vs 2020) and at last Porsche 47.62% electric . Every second Porsche sold this year was electric.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think if you are going to try and make a point re diesel and petrol market share then you need to group non plug in hybrids with the respective fuel type.

Grouping into Diesel + Diesel Hybrid, Petrol + Petrol Hybrid, and Electric + PHEV you end up with an apparent switch from Diesel to Electrified vehicles, with Petrol maintaining it's current market share.

* Electrified, means has a plug for the purpose of this table

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think you need to also exclude phev from electrics. They muddy the water. A BEV is a different animal to a compliance car with 30km range

Every car with a plug is a potential competitor for those rare charging spots, also the future discussion of ICE bans allow for PHEVs as part of the mix.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yep, had to pass a 50kW charger few weeks back with Outlander CHAdeMO'ing....CCS obviously not available

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Some of the Mercedes phev's have a CCS option, range is also increasing Toyota's rav4 phev has a 20 something kWh battery and the BMW X5 18 kWh I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Why are there suddenly 290 LPG after none last year? Seems a little odd. And I didn’t know they were still sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

The point I'm trying to make is that in spite of 6 years since dieselgate, where it was proven that burning diesel is not as clean as we want to believe, in spite of climate change being declared an emergency, diesel cars are still sold in big numbers. And I don't consider PHEVs when counting EVs, just because they still have ICE driving the wheels. And it was proven multiple times that the big chunk of PHEV users rarely use electrified side of things making them worse. I understand counting them when plugs are needed but that is not the objective of electrification. Unfortunately manufacturers do whatever they want. Like Hyundai or BMW portraying themselves in the ads campaigns as front-runners of electrification and still having most cars sold powered by diesel. Even Stellantis with no dedicated EV platform sold 5.52% electric which is more than BMW. Ford sold zero electric cars in 2021, but they've sold nearly 1.3k Rangers (which is more that ID.4 or ID.3), which have an emission of "*From 201 g/km. NEDC test figures" or up the 281 g/km with the WLTP cycle.

You've again fallen into exactly the point I was making. Take Hyundai's sales in 2021 YTD.

It's just bad analysis to claim that most of their cars are powered by diesel. Depending how you slice it up, 50.8% of their cars are powered purely by petrol.

32% of their cars sold have some form of electrification, versus 16% last year. The numbers are showing a significant change in the fuel types of their sold cars. So I think it's quite fair for them to claim that they are at the forefront of electrification.

Your definition of electrification may be limited just BEVs, but the regulations and industry's isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

And I don't consider PHEVs when counting EVs, just because they still have ICE driving the wheels. And it was proven multiple times that the big chunk of PHEV users rarely use electrified side of things making them worse.

I think that was just a UK thing as they brought in a tax incentive that encouraged people to buy them for BIK reasons and they did buy alot of them and never charged them. The Outlander was a high profile example of it.

That didnt happen here so I dont think the analysis you are referring to applies in Ireland (or alot of countries actually).

If there is no tax incentive to buy a PHEV why would you buy it and then never charge it? If you do charge it, it will be running in BEV mode for alot of its time, not driven by ICE at all. It very much depends, of course, but someone paying a premium for a PHEV and then not charging it, simply has more money than sense.

Advertisement