Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Lots of rumours and stories, but until it's officially announced I'll believe nothing.

It'd be great to see though. At this stage we know Bottas has no more than a 1% chance of beating Hamilton over a season. Fingers crossed that Russel can properly challenge him.

With the amount Russell was smiling over the duration of when the race was meant to be on I'd hope it was because he'd had good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

My guess is whoever wrote this post, didn't watch the race...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

I find it bizarre that they've managed to come to the conclusion that it was the fact that the fans got to see a podium that was the problem, not the fact that the fans didn't get to see a race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Loads of people made a big deal out of in in the race thread. A "slap in the face" to fans and so on.

Like I said, i don't think it was the main problem, it was just a very visible symptom of the whole thing. The main problem is that a race didn't take place and the second problem is that, for business reasons, points were awarded. The podium procession was just an offshoot of those problems.

It would have been far worse if the fans were forced to go home having seen nothing at all, and if all the heroic efforts in qualifying counted for absolutely nothing. Have the people moaning asked if any of the fans who actually attended the circuit would have been happier if they just saw nothing instead of those few laps behind the safety car and a podium? Would they really have been happier to go home having wasted the entire day? Given that the medical car had been circulating and saying the grip levels weren't bad, it's better that they at least made one last attempt, however half arsed, to send the cars out and see how the track conditions were than to not have bothered at all.

The tickets already cover the support races etc, which ran fine in the same conditions. Domenicali has already stated very clearly that there were no commercial reasons behind going back out, and nobody has identified any actual terms and conditions that show that it would affect refunds or otherwise - that's little more than a conspiracy theory some people have been throwing out there.

Well, I don't claim to be an expert. So I don't really know what else can be said about it that hasn't already been said. It's unfortunate that the race didn't happen but I'll just dry my tears and wait for the next race at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don’t see this anywhere on George Russell’s Twitter?

It's just a rumour, though it's been widely reported. It was also widely reported that he'd be announced for Mercedes back in Silverstone and that never happened so I'll wait for something official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Not Russell’s Twitter, it was just mentioned on Twitter by one of those ITK accounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Maybe look at swapping France and Belgium over. The closer you can get the Belgian Grand Prix to the June 21st solstice the less likely you'll be washed out and the more daylight you can play with if it is inclement.

Meanwhile Paul Ricard is in the south of France so the weather tends to stay more pleasant longer into the Autumn and even if it rains, it stands to reason that a test track with artificial sprinklers would have good drainage and those wide run offs with the abrasive tarmac should prevent any serious shunts from causing any traumatic injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Article on Racefans reckons Russell to Merc, Bottas and De Vries to Alfa Romeo, Albon to Williams. Giovanazzi, Kimi gone. Makes a lot of sense to me.

A double hit on Mercedes-Benz by Sauber 🤔 and possibly the first transfer from Formula E to F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Makes no sense at all. Why should Sauber favor a Mercedes junior that didn't do as well as illott or Schumacher who are Ferrari academy drivers. Shwartzman would also make more sense than that.

Albon to Williams? Why would red bull pay a fifth cockpit when they can axe Tsunoda or Gasly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think the idea is that Albon would cut ties with Red Bull ala Carlos Sainz when he moved to McLaren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

The red bull/ alpha tauri situation is interesting, perez is extended till 2022, surely if gasly keeps going the way he is they'll have to look at him to come in for perez for 2023?

Tsunoda is hardly pulling up any trees (of course its his rookie season) but another year like that season in 2022 I think he may lose his seat, could potentially be two Alpha tauri seats going for 2023 if albon would want to wait that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Gasly might be eyed by Alpine for 2023.

Tsunoda has another year and until then one of the red bull academy drivers might be ready to step up.

Yeah Albon could take that chance, but ocon took a chance like that and ended up out if the sport for a year. According to Joe Saward, Ocon signed with Alpine a few weeks ago precisely because he knew Bottas would be coming on the market and if he wasn't careful he would end up without a drive again. The moral of the story is that one bird in the hand...

Albon might gladly take a seat at Williams. One year out is bad enough, 2 years out could be fatal and there's no guarantee he would even get a drive in 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Alpine have Oscar Piastri on their books, he's won the Formula Renault and F3 titles in the last 2 years and currently leading the F2 championship. If he goes on to win the championship I could see him spending next year as test/reserve driver and in with a shout of a race seat for 2023

Joe saward is talking about the albon-williams connection. He said that last week Latifi had an uncertain covid test and Williams sounded out Albon over anyone else to replace him. Latifi was fine so it didn't come to anything.

But he reckons Albon is a good fit for Williams as they want a decent driver who is young and can stay around for a long time as the team improves from their new money.

He said Albon isn't the only good option for them but that's where the connection was made.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He also seems certain Qatar will be the TBC race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The line in and out of the early banked turn looks wild.

Is the only likely overtaking opportunity into turn 1?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Kimi has announced his retirement......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

He's probably delighted he doesn't have to do anymore pr

That's a bit of a relief. Was a great racer but had a career of two halves. Clinging on by reputation for the last few years.

Now everyone can reflect on the good things he did as a driver instead of eagerly anticipating his retirement.

I wonder if Alfa will keep Gio. I presume not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ferrari engine in the Alfa means they'll want one of their academy drivers, or any Italian with a super license.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Liked having Kimi in F1 but the last year or 2 haven't been great. Great career all the same, probably should have had more than 1 championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Definitely should have had more than one championship if the Maclarens and there Merc engines had not let him down so much in the early 00s when he was with Mclaren.

Delighted he is retiring do. He was at nothing this late in his career in a midfield team. I always liked him but his time has come and gone. He had some good times and some great races but it's time for someone new to come in now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is there not a limit on how many teams Mercedes can supply?

I think I remember that cropping up when McLaren were signing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That tight Turn 1 could see some chaos at the start — reminds me of Spa.

I wonder if we'll ever see a Renault engine in another team again?

Kimi, well that incident where he clips the wheel coming into the pits did seem a bit of a "senior moment", but as many have said Kimi has been in F1 since Sauber looked like a hybrid between Mercedes-Benz and Red Bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

As a reserve driver, maybe. Kubica will depart as well, I presume.

Not really related but was listening to a podcast a whole back and one of the guys said they wish there was a 22-24 car grid, more opportunity for all the drivers without a seat and a chance for the likes of Renault to supply other teams.

Wasn't into F1 (unfortunately) when Kimi was peak but obviously his time at this level has been on the wane since I got into it, this year has had a particularly bad few couple of incidents (rear ending his team mate and crashing into vettel)

Did I hear alfa don't have to have a ferrari junior in one of their seats from next season? Or am I imagining things? Either way would they be too arsed if giovenazzi loses his seat next year? I mean sainz and leclerc are gonna be there for a few years to go and I think they may prefer a certain German driver with a certain second name to come in instead of gio in a few years time if they're looking for a new driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Russell to Merc looks a done deal. Be surprised if it isn't confirmed by weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How could a Sauber look like Hybrid from Mercedes Benz and Red Bull since neither of them teams existed in F1 in the early 00s? Mercedes just supplied engines to Mclaren that was it. Sauber are older than both them teams.

Kimi really should have won the WDC with Mclaren Mercedes and if the cars had of been more reliable he probably would have.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Guessing the mean liveries and referring to current/recent ones.

• Advertisement

Yeah they had red bull sponsorship and one year they had Mercedes stars all over the rear of the car like Mercedes has had in recent years.

They had Red Bull AND Petronas sponsorship.

In regards to the "alleged" vacant Williams seat. What about Jamie Chadwick or Roy Nissany? Chadwick is already on Williams books as a sim driver, does W Series generate enough super licence points? Is Nissany just a Cash Guy? 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

In case anyone was wondering the McLaren Gulf clothing is back for order from the McLaren store. I am not a McLaren fan but had to order one of the Gulf track jackets. Such iconic branding and so good to see it back at a race even though it was once off this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thinking of the Williams seat when George moves to Merc (imminently), would the Merc team still have influence on that vacated Williams seat? And I'm thinking that perhaps Nick DeVries being a Merc driver could jump into it easily.

Albon is a good contender too but doesn't have any direct ties with the Williams team. He'd bring his RB knowledge and simulator skills, and I'd think would be of benefit.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Albon might be a good shout for Williams. Less pressure and Williams are improving. It could reform his carrier like Gasly has done by going back to Alpha Tauri.

De Vries probably feels hard done by. His career never really took off after he won the F2 championship in 2019. Formulae E was a big step down if he harboured an F1 drive.

Yeah and gasley is a good case for comparison. I don't think gasley was miles better than Albon and Albon was probably going to win in Brazil until Hamilton crashed into him. That would have set a very different baseline if he had won a race.

I think if RB don't rate Albon then it's probably fair that they also don't rate Gasley, but I think neither is miles behind Perez and we've seen thst Gasley has great potential and probably lots more potential tial than Perez has. But perez is a pretty safe pair of hands for right now. I wonder if RB will keep an option on Albon or of they'll just cut him loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi

long time lurker and avid fan of F1.

I’m looking to buy some Mercedes F1 jackets, any sites I’ve looked at have awful reviews on trustpilot, unfortunately.

Where would ye recommend??

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

^ Have you tried the official Mercedes F1 shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Not online but I’ve often seen Merc and Ferrari gear in the Puma shop at the Kildare Outlets

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement