Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Never waste a good crisis

I wonder will Tony allow normal opening hours for bars in future

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Much of the scoffing was the cumulative totals, increasingly irrelevant IMO and many of them were wrong. Even these now projected daily totals seem off-kilter. There was an issue on how they chose to present that data, especially as your eyes would immediately be drawn to the panic-inducing pessimistic version, hence the sobering numbers from government. I'm of the view they either should have dropped it or at least withheld it. As I've said elsewhere I do question the use of these cumulative totals, fine for HPSC types, but of no great use to anything otherwise.

Us Irish ain’t the brightest bunch in Europe

its going to take decades to instil the confidence for many to return to normal

Currently Delta and it's sub-lineages make up over 95% of samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

Page 3 of the report gives a breakdown by variant from Dec 30th 2020 to August 7th 2021.

73.4% of cases analysed in that time were Alpha variant, 19.3% were Delta.

• Advertisement

Michael Martin's latest on NPHET's future.

Micheál Martin said that the role of NPHET and the vaccine taskforce will be transitioned into the normal functions of the Department of Health and the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@iamwhoiam wrote:

We haven’t increased our ICU capacity significantly at all 

I thought the same, but it's just not true. Between April and December last year we increased our number of permanent ICU beds by 10%. Which is a pretty good number in itself, but especially good when you consider that it was completely unprepared for.

Since then there was a commitment to increase capacity by a further 14%, but so far this year they've added 4%. As one would expect though, there's likely a long lead time on these projects, and hopefully the other 10% will be delivered before the end of the year.

But overall since the start of pandemic our permanent ICU capacity has been increased by 14% (255 -> 291), which one cannot call "insignificant".

Your point after that is correct - our capacity is still well below where it should be, and realistically we should be adding 30 beds every single year for the next decade to get to where we need to be.

But then you get into the nuts and bolts of it. To bring our ICU capacity up to this level would require an additional €300m per year in the HSE budget as well as at least €1bn in capital costs over the next decade. That's assuming it's just a matter of adding new beds. As with everything, it's rarely as simple as "just add more beds". Much of our hospital infrastructure is not capable of taking more beds. So you need new hospitals. Look at the resistance there is in Ireland to spending money on health, the complaints about the cost of the childrens' hospital.

Select 20 hospitals, add a new wing into each capable on average of taking 15 ICU beds + 200 normal beds. Cost of each wing, easily €1bn. That's €20bn capital expenditure. And the rest. It's what we need to do, but the epic meltdowns over it will always stand in the way.

There's always a gap between the right thing to do, and the thing that people will let you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I dont think anyone has any problem with spending on health . it's the black hole we appear to pour money down with no apparent improvements.

the children's hospital is a massive mess complete gold plating and fancy architects ends up as the most expensive hospital in the world I think criticism there is completely justified. unfortunately we have to keep pouring money into it until its finished now.

We pissed away billions upon billions of euros in covid mitigation compensations, so money really isn’t an object

Money has literally been no issue since March 2020, no mitigation measures required justification

I struggle to see where the resistance to spending money on health is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Ummmmm...Very interesting - didn’t know they had added ICU/hospital beds since April...Yeah I knew ICU set up was complex but thought hospital beds might be a bit easier....

• Advertisement

Strong decline on swabs continuing now, potentially even accelerating. 1,812 positive swabs. Last two Wednesdays 1,980 & 2,106. 7-day average dropping for the 5th day in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

255 - 291 is 44 extra ICU beds with a population of 5 million

when you start from a low base then even an increase of 10% is still totally inadequate . Thankfully we have private ICU beds added to it so at leasts some people are able to use them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Not a criticism against either of you two personally, but you've summed up the resistance to spending on health perfectly.

"I've no problem with spending money on health, as long as they spend it the right way"

The "right way" of course being something different to everyone.

For every €10m spent adding ICU capacity, someone will complain that there's a paediatric unit in need of a scanner. Or a cancer screening programme with a long waiting list. Or that the project is costing 10% too much and should be put on hold until we get five new quotes.

It nearly feels like the HSE should produce a gigantic costed menu of all of the things we need to bring our health service up to OECD standards; the yearly costs and the pessimistic capital costs. So that when people want to know why something isn't working, they can see exactly what isn't being spent. Fairly off-topic 😆 but I'd hope after all this when the HSE comes looking for a few billion for a new hospital and a few hundred million to pay the private system to tackle waiting lists, people will be less inclined to complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

That has nothing really to do with it.. Covid has done a lot of damage to the indoor pub sector. I was talking to a fella publician yesterday and he has a bigger pub and he stated that it's shockingly quiet. One pub was open during the reopening (outdoor) and made a killing and gained a lot of customers from the three closed pubs. Now some haven't come back at all(older crowd) but it's worrying if you dont get the regulars back or even the young crowd(not fully vaccinated).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the right way is delivering results for patients not spending more and more and ending up with a fifth of the population on waiting lists. the mother in law went to get a mole removed was told it would be years before she got to see a consultant, a month later and a few grand later its sorted in dublin of course! lucky they have the money.

the reason for the lockdowns is the state of the health service whcih will never be reformed because it would be political suicide to take on the vested interests , throwing more money at it isnt the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

1812 positive swabs, 7.84% positivity on 23,098 tests. 7 day test positivity is 8.9%. - Wednesday, September 1st 2021

Now yer swabbin'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

All I'm hearing is waffle

Disbanding Nphet and restrictions is all waffle,they'll still be there

Beefing up the health service lol

Setting up a handy evaluation before the clamour an enquiry

All mostly window dressing and politicking

The Government has received the go ahead for a Covid-19 vaccine booster campaign for immunosuppressed people, Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said, with third doses also likely to be given to nursing homes residents and the over 70s “subject to advice”. No indication of when just yet, but waiting for NIAC advice.

Cases matching swabs - 1,789 new cases, 360 in hospital, 56 in ICU.

• Advertisement

I see in the middle of that is a video of Donnelly claiming cases will peak in mid-October. That quite a jump on what's been said to date.

That was the figure given by a legal employment expert who was interviewed on Drivetime.

He said 7000 euro per employee, I presume this is to kit out a room properly.

The situation that arose because of covid cannot continue, he stated that GPS are innundated with people reporting back strain and rrpetitive injury.

Going forward employers have a duty to provide everything an employer needs, if they have to do this then they wont want hybrid working, they will want to get rid of office space completely.

They will then realise there is no difference to someone WFH in Dublin compared to Mumbai except salary costs are higher, this will result in moving staff roles to cheaper locations.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭brickster69

It's quite a jump on the nonsense people have been saying on here nearly every day for the last 6 weeks.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And only last week NPHET were saying cases would peak in Sept,so plenty of nonsense from the so called experts as well

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Yeah that's true, Nolan was pretty sure of mid-september peak, no idea why that's jumped to mid-october now, probably when mass testing stops?

I don't know about you, but I've noticed a massive change in tone in terms of governments trying to keep transmission down, it's like they've given up and all doing a Sweeden now realising we have nothing left to stop transmission. Australia Zero covid gone, Germany no more free tests after October, Denmark no more restrictions, all accepting life has to go on and deaths are inevitable.

I'd say it's only 1 or 2 more months until we stop doing 20,000 tests a day and wasting millions a day on pcr tests, will probably only tests in hospital, cases as we track them will peak soon with that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭brickster69

Exactly, it was actually "could be mid September, late September, middle of October or maybe earlier or later depending how things go". Would be far better off telling the truth and say we are not sure at the moment.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

That peak now ranges from 1-6 weeks, someone needs to pick a number.

Sadly there are 20 being reported today. It’s very unfortunate to see that number and they are twenty people with families, friends and lives who shouldn’t be dismissed as a statistic, but could we possibly just retrospectively apply those to the days they actually passed away?

There are only twenty people involved and the dates are obviously known but are spread over an unclear period of time.

Why can’t they can just be assigned back to correct days which they actually passed away on? It’s about 10 minutes work.

Deaths are also a matter of public record, so there are no privacy issues involved.

I don’t know why we are continuously announcing numbers that are lagged. It’s creating issues domestically and on international comparisons and doesn’t give any kind of realistic impression of what’s going on and it’s frightening and depressing people, making it seem like daily rates.

I’ve an elderly relative who has taken every precaution, is fully vaccinated and she takes these figures very much to heart. I was on the phone today and she was talking about how maybe she shouldn’t go outside anymore because 20 people died today.

In my view it’s irresponsible reporting and it’s misleading and just feeds sensationalist headlines.

• Advertisement

You do get a sense that there is an element of let it rip in the unvaccinated, probably because of the predominant age group of cases. It is probably an indicator of how we intend to manage it. I agree on tests, once we break that 90% very soon they may ease off on it.

Advertisement