Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Regardless of what happens in the second half I see great improvement in this team. They all know their jobs and they’re all giving 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Reminds me of the ref in Spain v Ireland (1993).

Not sure I can remember an Irish team playing that sort of football . Hope they can keep it going for second half , be great to get a win and give them all a boost. Could actually drag them back into contention if they could use it as a springboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

You'd know the lads who don't know the game. Connolly has made mistakes on the ball but his runs and movement have got us up the pitch brilliantly.

Would love to see them continue this in the second half for Stephen Kenny!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Excellent half in fairness - solid defending, but also playing the ball around a bit to take the pressure off and create a few good breaks. Delighted! More of the same lads!

Connolly though… he brings pace, which is vital, but he’s regressing fast it seems. Can only hope and pray Obafemi gets some decent game time at Swansea and can take his place as the pacy outlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Were not talking about other footballers were talking about Connolly in the context of this particular game. What problems is he causing them - serious question? Has he created anything at all in that first half? Has he made the keeper work? He had the ball 3 times in good areas in the first half and ran into Pepe every time. The summation of his performance according to a few people here is he has a bit of pace and his movement is good. Personally I'd rather have someone in there that can control the ball and might get a shot on target but that's just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Was a bit like that in Serie A last year in a lot of games. You would forget about him until it was time to shape up for a free he would miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Huge performance from the lads with the exception of Connolly who has stunk the place up a bit. Idah has actually been holding play up well and linking players in, Doherty/Coleman both offering a big threat overlapping on the attack. Cullen and Hendrick have grown in confidence as the half went on. Defence has done well overall to prevent too many shots on goal. As for the goal, I did say it earlier, we should be getting the height in their six yard box and attacking them aggressively, they look a complete mess defensively.

As bad as Connolly has been, Ronaldo has been worse. Missed the pen and has lost of the ball every time he got it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ronaldo certainly swiped at O'Shea, open handed, not a punch but it was the movement that could have seen red. The reaction though was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Deserved lead . Connolly has done alot wrong but willing to get on the ball and def troubling that defence .

Saying dat I would like to see Parrott by the hour mark and run at that defence . Pepe 2 slow now and cancelo doesn't want to defend so plenty of room .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

You might remember before the night is out 😏

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And you are saying 'he should have controlled the ball' as if this has never happened before. So yes, the question absolutely is relavent.

You're being completely harsh on him in that particular situation. It's unfortunate but once the ball got caught under his feet he was always going to struggle to get that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Connolly brings pace??????, He can't go pass a near 40 year old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

As decent a first half as I've seen in a while

• Advertisement

Just going to ignore the play that led to the corner which we scored from then?

Thought so.

If you lift your hand to strike a player, open or not, it’s a striking action and the punishment is red card.

Heroic from Duffy there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I thought we might get a few minutes peace from the Kenny moaning for a few minutes tonight but instead we get a Connolly pile in.

Can people not just stop and enjoy this for a few Fing minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's the hope that kills ya. If there's one thing I've learned from years of watching Ireland, it's that the team leading one-nil nearly feels worse because of the stress of watching the team defend that lead and all too often failing to do so.

But the team has already exceeded the expectations I had of it going into this game, so as long they keep up the effort, they will have acquitted themselves well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I've seen milk turn quicker than him. He's stealing a living as a professional footballer.

I don’t watch serie A but Ronaldo scored 5 at the euros. I wouldn’t write him off just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,616 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Great display from ROI so far

Idah has all the tools to be a phenomenal footballer. Took three defenders to disrupt him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

I've never seen passing like this from any Irish team, absolutely brilliant.

Jaysus me nerves.

We just need to hold tight for a few minutes, they'll quickly run out of ideas.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

**** off ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Could he not have crossed it there instead of jumping on the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Connolly is an awful diver. 3rd time this game alone I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Take the **** shot on ffs.

That's more of a penalty than Portugal's was.

Coleman has been fantastic

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The longer we can hold on, I can see them picking up a few yellows from frustration., wont be long now.

re Connolly, movement and runs aside his touch does not look like one that will develop further into one of quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Connolly looks bushed already, get Parrott on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Coleman and Doherty absolutely superb so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

McClean for Doherty :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This referee is a clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Haha this is brilliant watching Pepe giving his opinion on shithousery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Connolly is a hard watch

He jogs off despite receiving treatment and he gets booked. Joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Such a stupid way to get a yellow card

There's still 35 mins left. Time-wasting is pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Ref is dreadful. Seems really reluctant to allow the physios on for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Jaysus Omo that was a close one. Very enjoyable game so far - keep it up lads!

Silva should be booked for being a prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ireland have been note perfect so far. Really intelligent play and use of the ball. Whatever happens this performance should be something all the lads take on board.

What a difference a fit and interested Hendrick makes to our midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Conolloy doesn't even have 55 mins in him

Looks totally out of steam. He's hopeless.

Time to get Parrott on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement