Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

escooter & ebike regulation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd say you'd have to be seriously over the limits to be pulled and/or acting the eejit, and then failed the "don't be a dick to the cop" to end up in court tbh.

Seems a bit like that - chap done in ennis was told to stop using it on the pavement by Gardai and then went and used it on the pavement again in front of them.

I've been suing mine all year no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am seeing a lot more escooters about.
    Some lads are on footpaths and are really going too fast coming up to corners. Not sure if they have a protector in case they run into somebody.

I saw another lad on a public road with 2 or 3 cars behind him.

I'd imagine they would be very popular for hire on the greenways.

I am seeing a lot more escooters about.
    Some lads are on footpaths and are really going too fast coming up to corners. Not sure if they have a protector in case they run into somebody.

I saw another lad on a public road with 2 or 3 cars behind him.

I'd imagine they would be very popular for hire on the greenways.

They should really be in bike lanes (how they are used in other countries, treated like a bike)

Most can hit 25kmh but can stop in a couple of metres so are good at avoiding any collision.

Even on the road they go as quick as most cyclists so they are not really any more of a hindrance to a motorist.

Would never use on a pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I wonder what would happen if a car hit someone on the road with a scooter. Bit of a grey area given that they are not legal yet.

Great little device though. Hopefully they will sort out the legal issues.

I wonder what would happen if a car hit someone on the road with a scooter. Bit of a grey area given that they are not legal yet.

Never considered it to be fair, I am sure there is some precedent with all the kids going round on scramblers....

Probably a case of no problem for the driver assuming they were following the rules of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It'd be the same for the car driver, you can't hit a person because they are breaking the law. But any payments will be reduced based on the person using an illegal MPV, along with possible prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wonder what would happen if a someone driving a car hit someone on the road with a scooter. Bit of a grey area given that they are not legal yet.
    FYP.

But the driver of the car still hit something on the road. It'd be up to the court decide (then it would probably depend on helmet and builders jacket).

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭vimalandrew

I can see a lot of escooter advertisements in Irish websites. I would like to buy a Xiaomi escooter with range 40km for 549 euros and would like to commute from Tallaght to Dublin everyday for work. Is it legal or do I need to take tax, insurance etc.. as of now. I think I saw a lot of people using this stuff.

Still illegal at the moment

Well... as mentioned its a bit of mess regarding legality

It's classed as mechanically propelled so requires tax, insurance etc, but there are no companies who will insure you

Chances of having it seized now vs a few years ago slim to none unless acting the bollix on a scooter. I'd be interested in how long these last in terms of wear and tear and battery charges as I couldn't tell you where you could have one serviced or if they can be at all where as with a bike it's easy. So the 549 for a scooter seems like a good deal but if it can't be readily and cheaply serviced with spares etc and you have to throw it out a buy again after a failure then not so good on the pocket and the environment which I see is an issue with the scooter rental schemes as far away as china and as close as liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Bike shops will change the little tyres etc and many keep them in stock. Halfords offer actual servicing after that, but I happened to be enquiring near Christmas and was told they wouldn't be able to fit me in until late January, so I can't vouch for the quality of the service or the lead time under normal circumstances.

I'm aware of a collect and repair service operating in Dublin somewhere but the name escapes me at the moment.

All that said - a big part of the reason the Xiaomi M365 in particular tends to be recommended as an entry level one is because parts and tutorials to service them yourself are very easy to find. Maybe a bit slower to get parts now Aliexpress takes a bit longer and gets taxed, but they have every conceivable part there, and Youtube will tell you how to install it (pretty much the only thing you won't be able to do yourself with the right parts/tools is installing solid tyres, if you want those).

The M365 is basically the Ford Mondeo of escooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Great response.. I see most of the reviews out of the US castigating European 250watt limits. I see their point in the context of the amount of weight that can be propelled (particularly from rest) by a particular motor. I'd have no issue at all with a speed limit, but I do have an issue with limiting the power. Even if you only look at range, according to the Bosch e-bike calculator, if you double the weight (incl bike etc), you reduce the range by a third. It stands to reason that the 140kg (fully loaded incl bike) is going to be way less powerful and usefully assisted than the 70kg equivalent. I would have thought that the 140kg unit would need a 500w motor ti provide the same performance as a 250w motor pushing 70kg. By all means, both machines should be speed limited to 25kph for safety, but hobbling one person's enjoyment / utility by an arbitrary number on a motor seems very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Joe1919

If you read the proposed (and European) legislation, the 250 W refers to 'maximum continuous rated power'. So in practice, peak powers can be double this at certain points on the power graph. This characteristic can be optimized to suit say heavy riders. To give a concrete example, woosh bikes(uk) have got (european) approval for their gran-camino bike that is suitable on road for riders up to 25 stone (156kg). The bike has very strong motor and controller is rated at 20 amp and 36volts which equates to 720 w input power and this should give well over 500w mechanical power at the wheel (at say 70% efficency). So its just a question of the right bike becoming available. (imo)

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gran-camino

Kinda shocked that we are still awaiting legislation for this. Greens were bleating on about it since Jan.

Given the impact of covid on using public transport and how these are regulated in many nations already it's a bit of a farce.

25km/h as max speed propulsion device can achieve would be fine, then as they become even more popular post regulation, improved infrastructure can be justified.

I've been using my escooter for a year now and it is great, saves the car doing short trips or trips through traffic in town.

I really wish I had stayed longer in Physics class so I could understand these things better... 🤔😣😮

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

To give a concrete example, woosh bikes(uk) have got (european) approval for their gran-camino bike that is suitable on road for riders up to 25 stone (156kg). The bike has very strong motor and controller is rated at 20 amp and 36volts which equates to 720 w input power and this should give well over 500w mechanical power at the wheel

why don't they mention this in the FAQ on their main page? or make it easy to find on the site (i've not found it)

The important information on e bike maximum power is the controller current and this multiplied by the battery voltage gives the motor electrical power. Both are shown on their website. You have to figure out the rest yourself. The mechanical power will be less due to inefficiency. If you want this spelled out more clearly, Halfords show on their manual for the Pendleton their ' Nominal Power' of 250W and their 'maximum motor power' of 400W for that model (page 5, or 6 on pdf.) https://washford.a.bigcontent.io/v1/static/Somerby%20E%20Bodo%20Workshop%20Manual

I have attached a copy of EN15194 that explains this. Its quite complicated but page 18 (21 on pdf) graph clearly shows the maximum power (Pmax) to be more than the 250w Pcr. (power continuous rated)

I couldn't find it either.. Its still a 250w motor so my previous observations regarding the use of a theoretical rating apply.

Limit it to maximum speed and leave it at that.. In motoring parlance, its like giving ppl the freedom to buy a 0-60 6 second car or a 0-60 12 second car, without nanny-state interference, but legislating that no car shall exceed the posted speed limit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess what Joe1919 is getting at is similar to the (confusing to someone who doesn't have experience with it) difference between RMS power and 'music' power when talking about speakers and amplifiers.

i'm very wary about arguments about raising the limits on the regulations that are currently in place for e-bikes. not that i think a 500w limit would lead to carnage on our roads, more so that it could lead to changes being used as a trojan horse to change other regulations - e.g. 'oh, well, now that e-bikes can use 750W motors, we'll mandate the use of helmets etc.'.

for the majority of people, 250W seems fine (i am a fairly fit cyclist and being able to sustain 250W is a dream)', and i think they have started examining (or have already allowed) higher power motors for cargo bikes?

The inherent complexity and arbitrary nature of the use of such a rating is exactly the reason why it should not be part of a regulation! Non-compliance or compliance with such a regulation will be extremely hard to assess by anyone in law enforcement, if mere electrically un-educated mortals like myself find it hard to understand. Arguments in courts by prosecution and/or defence will be impossible for anyone but elecbatterytrical engineers to comprehend. If my e-bike uses a beefy motor on a low amp (say 10) controller & low voltage battery (say 24v), is my motor a 240w motor? And if I use the same motor with a 20 amp controller, do I now have a 480w motor? (leave efficiency out of it for now as a 70% efficiency issue will apply to both..

• Advertisement

As far as I know, if a bike manufacturer/supplier makes/imports a particular bike, if not done already,one bike/sample goes for 'type approval'. Its tested and if found ok, the whole batch get 'approved'. Of course, this is open to abuse, as bikes can be modified (e.g dongle/shunt mod) but this is also the case with other vehicles. But many people who claim they need more power really mean they want more speed, so I presume this (speed) can be easily tested.

Anyhow, my main point I was trying to make is that the 250w 'maximum continuous rated power' can be made adequate for a 25 stone rider.

PS You might be interested in the link below.

https://www.ebikeschool.com/myth-ebike-wattage/

Great link that. Makes my point exactly. Hard-wiring a nebulous, subjective concept into legislation (as this 250w limit is) as though it is an objective, measurable, repeatable fact is atrocious law-making.

this gave me a chuckle.

250 watts is not very much power by ebike standards. Professional cyclists can put out more than 400 watts on leg power alone.

'it's not very much because people paid to race bikes have more power' is a stupid point.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

I have a 250w and a 1000w ebike. The 250w just isn't very powerful at all and i still get decent exercise on a high gear. Every chap on a racing bike zips past me and most people on racers aren't pros they're just hobby cyclists. Even people on non racing bikes can zip past me if they're so inclined to peddle fast! 250 just isn't very powerful

every chap on a racing bike is going to zip past you on the flat on your 1000W bike also, unless that's also speed derestricted, which is a separate issue from the power?

e-bike power assist has to cut out at 25km/h; if not, it's legally a moped.

just to clarify, there are three main things an e-bike must do to be legally considered a pedelec, and not a moped:

1. the power cannot be delivered unless the cyclist is actually pedalling
    2. the power cannot be greater than 250W
    3. the power assist must cut out at 25km/h

if people are passing you, it's nothing to do with the power. 250W is more than enough to get to 25km/h (and beyond) - it's that if you want to keep up with someone on a racing bike doing 30km/h, the motor is of no assistance to you, no matter how powerful it is (assuming your bike is legal). if you can't keep up with cyclists on your 250W bike but can on your 1000W bike, it almost certainly proves your 1000W bike is a moped against at least two of the three criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

there's a fella round my way flying around on a escooter with his young daughter (LIKE THIS) every evening without fail, no helmets no nothing, it will all end in tears i fear😦

...any point in reporting him, are helmets mandatory?

are helmets mandatory?

yes, in the sense that they're legally MPVs and require helmet, licence, insurance, etc.

Re point 3, there is a 10% speed tolerance mentioned in EN15194 (page 14 & 33). Some people (myself included) have been known to have bikes that cut out at 27 km/hr. I wonder will this apply in Irish law?

A second question I have is what defines an electric scooter.Can an electric scooter have a seat? If one removed the pedals and chain from an ordinary say hybrid bike and then fitted footpegs, along with a motor and throttle, would this then be an electric scooter? I ask this second question because I know an elderly person with bad knees who cant pedal and wants his bike converted with a throttle.

Post edited by Joe1919 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Advertisement