Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It certainly is but it seems the actual minister didn't think so, let it slip almost as an aside (excuse) at yesterday's grilling.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

This doesn't look good for Varadkar and Coveney:

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You didn't hear about it because it never happened. Coveney started with deleting the text spoof for data space, and then lied to cover that, and it's now spiralled out of control.

(It's the little things that get you caught as they say)

So FG leader is currently under criminal investigation, and the deputy leader has claimed he was hacked and apparently hasn't reported it to the guards.... That's potentially a national security concern if true.

Can they even be trusted with phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rocjohn

Coveney directed members of the ARW to Afghanistan along with officers from Foreign Affairs.

He has not said who hacked his phone so presumably he does nt know their identity.

If he used his phone to communicate with any of ARW or FA people when on operation in Kabul he has ,in essence placed the lives of Irish Servicemen in additional danger.

If a serviceman died in such circumstances due to information gleaned from phone hacking and someone higher up in the military chain of command was the culprit it would necessarily be a court martial offence.

Coveney is Minister for Defence ,so why is the standard of accountability far lower for him than for those in the military chain of command who he has ordered to conduct a rescue mission in Kabul and who could have lost their lives in such operations .

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Does a hacked phone not stay hacked? Who did he get to unhack it and how did he even know it was hacked? Was it hacked during the Brexit negotiations in which case did the EU Commission know about it?

So many questions to be answered.

• Advertisement

This is Leo V, with a bit of help from his media friends in the Indo who are more than willing to help out, attempting to undermine and discredit his biggest rival within the party for any future leadership within FG.

Imagine a guy trying to use his relationship with elements of the Irish media to damage Simon C so to improve his standing and reputation within the party and the public at large.

That to me is a sign of a power grab. This is extremely dangerous territory for politics here. Leo V already has a criminal investigation against leaking a confidential document to another person. As someone said here earlier, it’s a pity that he wasn’t so forthcoming with such txts and messages when the whole “LeoTheLeak” fiasco and indeed the apt of Seamus Woulfe to the court of Justice episodes came into the public and political domain. Don’t forget his attendance at the Merrion bash too. And add the humiliating defeat in the DBS By Election.

He knows that his popularity is slipping along with his party. He saw an opportunity with Zapponegate to use it as an attempt to score points on Simon C and used the Indo and his links there with the paper, to portray SC as a liar and not trustworthy.

The Tanaiste is playing a very cute game, it’s cynical and outright dirty, but knows that it can hurt and potentially be fatal for Simon C’s standing within FG and the wider public.

I despise Leo V and FG full stop. But in fairness this is making for really good Hollywood style movie. It will be very interesting how all this will play out in the coming days ahead.

And with party colleague Charlie Flanagan now writing to Simon C, about inaccuracies in his appearance at the Foreign Affairs committee yesterday, there is plenty of life left in this story to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Even Leo's own backers must be a bit unimpressed by the way he has thrown Coveney under the bus. I wonder how his criminal investigation is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yeah, looks like it. I cant see how he recovers from this to be honest, .....

Wouldn't it be fcukin hilarious though, if he lobbed a grenade in before shuffling off by leaking to the media who was in the Merrion hotel with Varadkar, and also dropping Leo in it if he's any information that *coughs* "might help detective's with their criminal enquiries" about Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is this a Machiavellian move by Leo, to finally vanquish his old rival even if he gets burnt himself?

• Advertisement

Unimpressed? Leo has always only been out for himself.

As political skullduggery geos,ya have to admire varadkar,hes a dab hand at it......leader of party styles itself 'law and order' (puke),under criminal investigation has managed to politically knife his main rivils internally

Ousted kate oconnell and likely cost em a seat,ended her career,Simon harris has gone from minister of good news,to been exposed,as a leaker to worse extent than varadkar and now has effectively ended the career of one of finest politians on the scene in ireland,covoney is realistically headed to europe in next few years

Certainly interesting times for the blueshirts,but i think without covoney,they'll struggle to maintain their rural base and no amount of screaming shinner/troubles will keep em onboard,its a demographic ripe for picking,if soc dems want it

Kate o connell,covoney is good as finished and harris will likely limp out in an election or two,eoghan murphy quickly sidelined to obsurity and gone

I make no secret of a dislike of corruption,but varadkar has no immediate internal challenger within his party

I was asking about this person that you were talking about here "and now has effectively ended the career of one of finest politians on the scene in ireland"

His only internal challenger is Pascal the rascal and if Leo the leaks leaking goes to trial, Pascal will be taking over.

Simon covoney is undountfully a fine politian,i wouldnt be a ffg supporter at min....but yous want to be particularly blinded by partisanship to not acknowledge this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Leo looks like he's melting in that picture..

Yeah, I am aware of that, but the manner in how he has dealt with things, and how quickly he took his chance will surely have a few rethinking. Maybe not 🤷‍♂️

I think Simon has been great but recently he has been fooking up. If he wants a job in Europe he will be leaving very soon.

Couldn't help but giggle at the Indo deciding to do a review of the Piglet yesterday, coincidence 🤔 or perhaps a not subtle swipe at all concerned 😏

Its difficult to believe people are actually taking this claim seriously,....the text message exchange deosnt seem real to me

Perhaps zappone could release her side of things🤔

• Advertisement

Barry "grumpy" cowan on morning Ireland now. Seems baffled at the entire debacle, not happy with Coveney"s appearance at the Dail committee, Quote "Katherine happy and excited about her appointment, when no one relevant knew about it"

More questions about deleted messages, not committing to whether resignations required.

Basically, huffing, puffying, poking and digging but ultimately fudging.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,044 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Next set of big jobs in Europe don't come up til 2024

Leo just made a statement, explaining the delay for releasing the text message's, seems his explanation 🙄, he was annual leave 🙄

Not exactly helping Simons Coveney's situation 🤔

Simon Harris on morning Ireland now, seems to be in defence of Coveney mode

Harris not sure this debacle is overshadowing government business 🤔 he in the studio to discuss back to college plan (rare he's talking about his own brief) first 4 minutes of interview entirely about Coveney debacle and the interviewer not letting go, played back cowan comments from earlier 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Harris floundering big time

6 minutes in, still talking about Coveney, Harris spluttering along

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

I think Leo's excuse of being on annual leave is just as bad.

Leo has had too many chances at this stage imo. Too many lies, and obvious lies at that, to the point its insulting.

While I also think Coveney came up with the worst lie possible, I'm more inclined to give him a chance in all honesty. We're all human at the end of the day. That's his fib pass used up.

Leo on the other hand, has consistently lied about numerous separate events for months, and thrown several under the bus, to protect himself. The latest being the civil servant who responded to an FOI on the 25th of August saying he took all steps in accordance with the act, when it's evident he didn't. Could have waited til Leo was back off-alleged-"annual leave"

Have to agree, very very odd reason for Leo to give for release of messages, actually its bizzare. Harris seems to be supporting Coveney, I sense an internal rift within FG developing. I've no doubt there has been two camps in FG for quite some time, the Varadkar and Coveney appreciation society. I long thought Harris in the Leo camp until the GP contracts debacle, the relationship seems to have gone down hill since and possibly before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There is an urban myth that if you say "Cronyism" 5 times in front of a mirror, a FFG TD will knock at your door.

Don't....

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Next up Mary Lou on morning Ireland, insider cronyism, invention of a makey up job, lobbying, Varadkar and Coveney all over this, Coveney misleading information, Taoiseach needs to take action, whole affair stinks to high heaven, double standard for FFG ministers, Oddly no call for resignations 🤔 another day in Irish Politics I guess.

Advertisement