Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiny crawling bugs

• 16-02-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

Guys can anyone tell me what this ting bug is they are getting into the house and driving the other half nuts ,where are they coming from and how can I get rid of them any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Possibly the caterpillars of the carpet beetle.

Very common, they can munch tiny bald patches into a wool carpet. Where are they being found?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Possibly the caterpillars of the carpet beetle.

Very common, they can munch tiny bald patches into a wool carpet. Where are they being found?

Outside on walls and on walls and round the windows inside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Ah, maybe not the carpet beetles, so

Before I end up divorced can any one tell what these insects are I have googled them and no luck, who could help in getting rid of them I have never seen them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Are they silverfish??

They prey on dampness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You could just hoover them up?

I wish it was that easy, no they are not Silvefish to be honest I really want to know what they are and how to get rid of them , they are outside on the walls and some are getting into the house, they are tiny never saw anything like them before

Some kind of millipede?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They look a bit like ladybird larvae, but the legs are different. The search continues...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

More realistically, they could be moths caterpillars, but I'm still looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

They look like soldier fly larvae

The back, a bit, but soldier fly larvae don't have those little legs with "skirts" on them, they've no "obvious" legs (source: my composting bin).

Op, if Srameen or one of the more knowledgeable posters here don't come along soon, you could try and ask someone here http://www.irishmoths.net/caterpillars.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm afraid my old eyes aren't good enough for these pictures. Any chance of some with it in better focus? My immediate feeling is a moth larvae but I can't make out it this has legs, hair or a shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭OwlEye

Srameen, I cropped a bit of the second picture.

473382.JPG

OwlEye wrote: »

I think you're right! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I think what you have is the bristly millipede.

Polyxenus lagurus

There have infestations around the costal areas of Cork.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyxenus_lagurus

OP are you near Cork/Kerry coastal regions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've never seen bristly millipedes this dark though.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I think what you have is the bristly millipede.

Polyxenus lagurus

There have infestations around the costal areas of Cork.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyxenus_lagurus

OP are you near Cork/Kerry coastal regions ?

Galway City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I've never seen bristly millipedes this dark though.

Here is a photo of the bristly millipede.

Polyxenus lagurus

bm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

from a distance does it look like this OP grains of rice? --> carpet moth larvae?

john-cooper-carpets-lymington-carpet-moths-BANNER.jpg

if so i got rid of it using this, you should get it in your local hardware store

fryup wrote: »
    from a distance does it look like this OP grains of rice? --> carpet moth larvae?

john-cooper-carpets-lymington-carpet-moths-BANNER.jpg

if so i got rid of it using this, you should get it in your local hardware store

They are very black looking when they are on the wall,the search goes on those ones look a bit light coloured

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MadgeJ

Just wondering if you ever got rid of the bugs. I have an issue with duff millipedes and they're practically taken over the house. Pest control can't do anything.

We did we looked for the source where they were coming from which was a dividing wall , purchased a can of Raid ant and cockroach killer in Dunnes Stores and kept spraying when they were active .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MadgeJ

Did it work? I think if I did that, I might be found dead myself along with them I'd have to spray so much of it . They're all over the ground floor of the house and it looks like they are coming from inside the walls and/or the foundations. It's like something from a horror movie, although thankfully they're not interested in me or my furniture/fabrics. I think they're just on the hunt for mould or mates. Thanks for the reply. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sammyfin1978

Hi, I think we have an infestation of what you have described here jn 2019. Think they look like duff millipedes. We are literally killing 60+ of them everyday. They are on the outside of the windows and appear to be coming up through the skirting boards. What did you do to get rid of them?

Thanks

Samantha

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sammyfin1978

We purchased a spray can of Ant and Cockroach killer sprayed the areas they were in it certainly kept them down they are back again but not as bad the spray works wonders if see where they gather.

• Advertisement

Meant to add we only sprayed them outdoors they never really got into the house

Advertisement