Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Over 1100 people have transferred Ronaldo OUT! Are they WCs? Or people looking for notoriety?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Looks solid, seeing a lot of folks wildcarding to that team!

Just playing devils advocate, would you consider one of Kane / Lukaku as a placeholder for Ronaldo?

Could be Ron gets subbed on for the newcastle game

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Hmm, What are people's thoughts on TAA, now that Ronaldo/Lukaku are in the game and there is certainty on Kane, do you think he is a player that will sold to fund the more expensive attacking players. There is no doubt that Liverpool have somewhat favorable set of fixtures in the coming weeks, but so do some other players who cost a lost less - Alonso being one - seems to be in favor at Chelsea, their defense is tight and he has an eye for goal.

Do we think that most teams will have 2 of Ronaldo/Kane/Lukaku and then Antonio? Or will it be say TAA, and then one of Ronaldo/Kane/Lukaku + Ings/DCL and Antonio?

I'm assuming that Salah/Son would be kept by those that have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Just people fiddling around with Wildcard drafts I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

TAA is going to be difficult to keep, plenty of cheaper options doing well in defence and it allows for a 3rd premium attacker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

I’m thinking I’ll go 1 premium striker and a more balanced team. I can get there with a minus 4. 2 premium strikers would require a wildcard on a team doing well that I’m happy with!!

Ronaldo for 4-6 then get in Lukaku. If Ronaldo is red hot I’ll just wildcard gw 7 to fit them both in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive seen drafts and yeah some people are going to Kane as a placeholder in a wait and see move. I think its important not to get caught up in the Ronaldo hype. Kane is cheaper, definitely on pens and provides both goals and assists. Ronaldo will shoot from an acute angle before he will look up for a team mate. So maybe getting Kane now to see what happens is a good move provided you've money ITB to get to Ronaldo.

I totally get the fear of not owning him though especially against a Newcastle side who are leaking goals. I also wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt start v Newcastle but gets subbed in on 60 minutes to a standing ovation from the whole stadium so the commercial side get the TV pictures and news coverage they want.

@Ace2007 From that article on price rises posted last week it said that the delta is reset to zero meaning none of the transfers of Ronaldo in over the next 8 days will count towards his first price rise. It is 10 days to his potential debut on the 11th so he may well start that at 12.6m which is as bad as 13m for some people trying to get him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

The IB complicates the price lock on Ronaldo.

See note 12 at the bottom of the price changes page.

From FPL Towers

Ronaldo enjoyed a prolific three-year spell for Juventus, scoring 81 goals and supplying 16 assists in Serie A. Significantly, 23 of those strikes were penalties. Bruno Fernandes (£12.1m) is currently Man Utd’s first-choice penalty-taker. Nine of his 18 goals came from the spot last season.

Man Utd have been awarded a minimum of 11 penalties in each of the last three seasons, with their total of 37 being more than any other side.

But Fernandes’ potential as a big-hitter will be significantly affected if Ronaldo takes over penalty duties, instead lifting the position of Mohamed Salah (£12.5m) as the go-to midfielder.

A lot of emphasis on penalties but the refs are trying this season to award less of them. They are actively looking for players going down with little contact so previous seasons penalty data isnt a fully accurate predictor of this seasons data.

Ronaldo 16 assists in 3 years is interesting. Kanes partnership with Son got him 14 assists last season along with his 23 goals. He might not win the Golden Boot this year but if him & Son click again he will delver serious points.

Cucurella, Brighton's new signing is down as a 5.0 DEF. He only played 1 game at LB last season in La Liga, 33 at LM and 3 as a LW. 3 goals & 2 assists in a team that struggled for goals.

Played 1 game as a LW this season too. Could be one to watch.

• Advertisement

I see that it states the unlocked date/time as:

08 Sep 01:21 PM, GM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Yeah, saw that too.

I don't think he'll rise before GW4 but It's just my opinion.

There'll be some who are more itk on these things and might have data from previous years.

I'm sure it will be a talking point in the FF arena over the coming days.

I won't have him for the coming GW. Have Lukaku Antonio and Jesus atm.

Somewhat interestingly I see that this has been updated to:

• Unlocks: 11 Sep 01:21 PM, GMT

So we get an extra 3 days, so he will be protected right until the Newcastle game...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Even coming on to face a tired Newcastle defence, Ronaldo could grab two goals. I think he's a more explosive player than Rom (famous last words!) and Kane is generally a slow starter each season and was late coming back.

I also don't like planning transfers ahead as you never know what will happen in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭nullObjects

All great points, I don't like booking transfers either, there's always a fire no matter how carefully we plan it all out.

Seems solid, good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Yeah I think this is a great point - United's penalties have been incredibly and probably unsustainably high since Bruno joined, even with last year's more permissive rules, that's why I decided to go without Bruno this season. Only 9 goals last season not from the spot for Bruno - that means remarkably Bruno already scored a third of his non-pen goals after match 1 this season!

It's going to be an interesting one to watch, as Bruno's penalties are superb, only missing 1 for United so far (out of 21 taken). Ronaldo is a very good taker, but I actually think Bruno is better - Bruno's conversion rate is 93% (41/44) versus Ronaldo's 83.73% (139/166). That's what I would call a superb penalty taker (top 5 in the world currently for sure) versus a merely pretty good one. Obviously it will be tough for Bruno to keep up 93% over Ronaldo's sample size, but 44 penalties is not insignificant and honestly the way he takes them, I would fully expect him to stay above 90% after 100 penalties.

What's the point of all these stats you might say? Ronaldo is Ronaldo, he'll definitely take them.

I just point it out as if I were Solskjaer I would certainly want Bruno taking my penalties. I also think it's important to point out as Bruno will rightly feel aggrieved if he's taken off them - not even from a personal perspective, but because the guy has an insane competitive streak and wants to do everything to win. If he genuinely felt Ronaldo was a better taker, I'm pretty sure he'd give them up - I don't see an ego with Bruno, but I do see a tenacious player that wants to do everything to win for his team. He may rightly see Ronaldo taking penalties as the sub-optimal play for his team. You also have to factor in that Bruno is United's future - I could easily see United still floundering outside the top 4 now if he hadn't joined - his talent, and more importantly mentality, has turned United around imo. I think they would want to be very careful about risking that for a player in the twilight of his career who will only offer a couple of seasons.

If Solskjaer is truly in control of this team, and if Ronaldo has joined to win trophies and help the club that he loves, then it's a no-brainer that Bruno should stay on penalties.

It's one reason I think I'll be holding off on Ronaldo for now. I don't think it's beyond the realms that Bruno stays on penalties or that they're shared in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Am I right in saying Ronaldo has some goal record/target in sight??

Either way, IMHO there is no way in hell that Bruno is taking a peno if he's on the pitch and I doubt if OGS would intervene.

I'll be getting him in ahead of GW4 but only after he comes through the international break in one piece

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

When Ronaldo signed, Bruno tweeted a cartoon picture of him watching United as a child in a jersey with Ronaldo on the back.

Ronaldo is his international captain. Both are on the pitch for Portugal and Ronaldo takes the pens.

If it was any other player, it would be up for debate but I believe he will hand over penalties to Ronaldo.

Also, it's not really fair to compare statistics when Ronaldo has taken 75% more penalties. Ronaldo has also taken them in high pressure situations like CL finals.

Id imagine he cant reach the record for PL goals scored anyway. Though if he scores against Ireland tonight he will have the record for most international goals, I think it is something like 111 and he is level with the record holder. He wanted to do it at the Euros but didnt get it. Duffy is going to have a hard time preventing him scoring tonight.

Will be interesting to see what happens between him and Bruno. By rights it should be Bruno on pens but I think he will step aside just because its Ronaldo. The worst case scenario for us would be for them to be shared between them but that might actually be the optimum solution for United- two great penalty takers rotating is arguably more difficult for keepers than the same guy every time. Brunos hop and skip technique isnt infallible as Jorginho has found out with 3 pens missed in the last year while using it, the most recent was Pickford saving his pen in the Euro final shootout. The whole technique is predicated on making the keeper move before the ball is struck and then rolling the ball into the empty side of the net.If the keeper doesnt move suddenly he has a very good chance of saving what will be a weak enough shot

For me though if Bruno is off pens altogether then he no longer justifies his £12m price. He scored 9 last season for 45 points so if he is off them thats a fair chop to his points ceiling this season.

I would add that it's probably more than those 45 points that would be taken off as he probably got 2 or 3 bps every time he scored a penalty. It's probably closer to 63 to be taken off.

Had a quick look there at the Portugal fixtures over the summer and Bruno's minutes were reduced a good bit, before eventually being dropped. Ronaldo played 90 mins every game, bar being subbed off while winning in a warm up game. Coincidentally this was also Bruno's only Portugal game in over a year where he scored or assisted.

I'm not sure if a lot can be taken from this as it is International football, but I think I would be watching their first start together before settling on which one is worth having, or even both. Obviously Bruno won't be dropped for Man Utd but his positioning might change, or the influence over the team might be reduced. United might play more direct to Ronaldo instead of through Bruno, or possibly even play through Shaw to whip in crosses to Ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You only have to go back 2 years to when Ole thought it was a great idea to rotate his penalty takers.... I'll just leave that here... 😕

Yeah thats true about the bonus points and of course for those who captain him when he gets them its even more points gained. I love bonus points on a captain, it is pure gravy and it can give you an extra 6 points on top of an already impressive haul.

Im interested to see what happens Shaw myself and if his points might go up with the addition of Ronaldo. Shaw has a superb cross on him and we all know that Ronaldo has an unbelievable spring in his jump and he is a superb header of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If ronaldo doesn’t score v Ireland tonight I am not putting him in

Again, Bruno is hooked on 60 mins after a poor performance while playing in the same team as Ronaldo. A sign of things to come, in terms of output?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

For anyone worried about Ronaldo not starting against Newcastle (seen a lot of talk about this on twitter & reddit) , he is suspended for Portugal's last game against Azerbaijan which might mean he comes to Manchester a little bit earlier than expected and starts training with the team

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

They all must have Martinez with a non playing 4m keeper on their bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

Its a very good team, very similar to my own but I would make one change . Ings to Calvert Lewyin or Bamford. Villa look very disajointed and their fixtures are terrible for a while

Advertisement