Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Quick summer 2021 overview.

Warmest day was on July 23rd with a national mean of over 21c.

Coolest day of the summer occurred on June 18th with a national mean of just over 10.0c.

And wettest overall day happened on August 5th, with a national average of over 18mm, but some locally very high totals.

Date from Met Eireann & charts from the UK Met Office.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

JUNE: Average Max 19.4c, Average Min 9.4c, Mean 14.4c (0.7c above normal).

JULY: Average Max 22.6c, Average Min 12.7c, Mean 17.6c (2.1c above normal).

AUGUST: Average Max 19.9c, Average Min 11.3c, Mean 15.6c (0.4c above normal).

SUMMER 2021: Average Max 20.6c, Average Min 11.2c, Mean 15.9c (1.1c above normal).

RAINFALL: Rain Days are 0.2mm to 0.9mm; Wet Days are 1.0mm and Above

JUNE: 9.7mm (46.3mm below normal), Wettest Day: 3.1mm on June 2nd, (7 Rain Days of which 4 were Wet Days).

JULY: 46.2mm (10.8mm below normal), Wettest Day: 8.5mm on July 29th, (13 Rain Days of which 11 were Wet Days).

AUGUST: 53.6mm (19.4mm below normal), Wettest Day: 14.8mm on August 20th, (16 Rain Days of which 12 were Wet Days).

SUMMER 2021: 109.5mm (76.5mm below normal).

WIND: Gale Gusts are 39mph and stronger...

No gale gusts recorded. Strongest Gust 32mph on August 12th, Breeziest Day: 12.2mph on August 7th; Breeziest Month: June with 5.9mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Unfortunately the heating has been on for a wee while the last few days.

Very cloudy but dry therefore no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How likely is this heat wave next week?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

No chance on current models. Where did you see there was to be one?

• Advertisement

This is what YR is telling me for my local area.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The ECM has 24 degrees for the southern quarter of the country for next Mon/Tue, Wednesday could see that temp countrywide. Then it's back to current temps from Thursday.

It's a glancing blow that I wouldn't be banking on, definitely not a heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Going into my favourite weather of the year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Last week was nice. But the past four days have been dire, barely a few minutes of sun, and are so typical of what can happen under high pressure conditions in Ireland.

Most of us in the East will probably see more sun when the Atlantic comes roaring back.

I've never been more eager for a HP system to f**k off lol...

• Advertisement

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Summer is indeed over now but we usually leave this thread open for a few days to allow people to give their overall thoughts to the season.

Summer 2020 was the absolute pits but thankfully summer 2021 has been much kinder to us, particularly when a large part of the UK had a fairly poor summer overall. We got very lucky this summer.

June 2021:

After a very wet and cold May, summer finally showed itself final days of May with temperatures climbing and more in the way of sunshine. June here in Meath was largely sunny and often warm with temperatures generally in the 19 to 22C range. Highest temperature of the month here was 24C. Coldest day of the month was June 25th with only 14C. Overall a very dry month with barely any rain.

Overall: 8/10

July 2021:

The warm and dry spell from June tried to break down into the first week of July but it remained warm despite some rain or showers around. This cloudier and more unsettled period didn't last long and a heatwave developed which brought two weeks of very warm and sunny weather. Here in Meath we had our warmest day since 1983 with a temperature of 29C. This two week spell had many days in the 24 to 27C range and this warm/hot spell lasted until the final week of July. Up to this point the summer had been largely dry with only 2 or 3 days of rain since the end of May. The final week of July brought a complete flip on the weather with much cooler and more unsettled conditions arriving bringing plenty of rain and temperatures back into the teens. Highest temperature of the month here was 29C. Coldest day of the month was 17C.

Overall: 8/10

August 2021:

The first week of August was incredibly wet with flash flooding, some thunder and very little in the way of sunshine or dry weather. It rained every single day and it remained unsettled until Sunday 21st of August. Up to this point August was looking like a complete write off but a ridge of high pressure arrived Sunday 21st and delivered a week of unbroken sunshine and temperatures in the high teens to low twenties. Sunday 28th of August broke the sunny and warm spell with very cloudy and rather cool conditions. The cloudy conditions with slate grey skies persisted right to the end of August and is still ongoing right now. Highest temperature of the month here in Meath 22C. Coldest day of the month was tied with final day of August with only 14C which was overall tied the coldest day of the summer along with June 25th.

Overall: 4/10

It's hard to imagine a full 3 months of summer with glorious weather in Ireland. I don't think i've ever seen it in my lifetime but summer 2021 made a very decent attempt at it. If it wasn't for the final week of July and first 3 weeks of August this would have been a summer up there with 1995 but the rather poor and wet August let what could have been a vintage summer down. Despite this, August 2021 did feature 6 days of warm and sunny weather, something we haven't seen during August's in well over a decade. For me summer 2021 is well up there with Summer 2006, 2013 and 2018.

Summer overall: 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Dublin Airport doing its thing and recording a far cooler month than most other stations...

Interesting that with a temperature of 26.3 °C, Athenry had its highest max temperature for August since 1976!

I do wonder do we expect far too much from August in Ireland or look back on previous ones with rose tinted glasses.

I don't know how many people have said we haven't had a good August since 2003 or so. If it takes 20 years to get a good August in Ireland then I think it's fair to say they're not supposed to be very good...

"Interesting that with a temperature of 26.3 °C, Athenry had its highest max temperature for August since 1976!" - Compsys

Claremorris recorded it's highest August max only since 2012 when it then recorded 25.9c (as opposed to the 24.9c this time around) and its highest absolute August minima since 2013 (7.9c both times around) which is way above the its August low min average of 4.3c.

New Moon

0/10 for me for this summer just gone. Too much heat, too much humidity and yet, very little rainfall. The number of dry days in summer 2021 must have been way above the norm and even now it hasn't rained here in about 11 or 12 days straight.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

August has never been a very sunny month but it has had a tendency to be even cloudier of late with the two dullest Augusts on record both since 2008 - 2020 and 2008. 2021, 2018 and 2017 were also among the dullest on record. There was a period of consecutive dull Augusts through the 1980s but none of them were as dull as those mentioned prior.

Very sunny Augusts like 1947, 1976 and 1995 - the big 3 spikes of greater than 250 hrs of sun on the graph below - are clearly huge exceptions and even 200+ hr Augusts are quite rare with only 2003 and 2010 to add on with those 3. 2010 is the 'joker' in the pack as compared to the others which were notably warm months, 2010 was relatively cool. Since 2010, the only sunnier than average August for Dublin was 2019 whilst 2014 and 2015 were average.

2003 was the last August that was widely drier, warmer and sunnier than average. Augusts like that are rare beasts, even in the UK. Often an August will be only one or two of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Speak for yourself and spare a thought for how we westies suffer when the "Atlantic comes roaring back," as you so eloquently put it. We've no sun over here either but we do have lovely calm,dry conditions which are very much welcome and with the exception of yesterday the days are quite warm. No complaints at all here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ireland is probably one of the coldest countries in Europe/Northern Hemisphere most summers and despite this summer being good by Irish standards, the rest of Europe was still hotter and dryer than here with the exception of maybe England which had a poorer summer than Ireland which is a rarity in itself. The only places that I can think of where you can escape the mild/warmth/sun and humidity with a cooler and wetter summer in general than Ireland is possibly Iceland, Shetland Islands and Feroe Islands.

We don't live in Europe (by which I mean the continent) and the runs of prolonged warmth, all of which contained obscene of levels of windless humidity that we seen this summer were not normal for this country. You'd expect 2 or maybe 3 days like that most years, but not lasting 10 consecutive days and beyond. But if that is your thing, then it looks like we are not out of the woods yet with yet another prolonged spell of saturated warmth on the way next week. There seems to be no shaking off this God foresaken summer at all. I just hope that we are compensated in abundance later this Autumn and Winter with hail gale after rain gale after thunder gale. A repeat of winter 2013/14 but this time, hopefully with a lot more punch.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The North West of the country has been glorious for the last three weeks.

As usual once the weather settles there is a line from Shannon to Finner where you can put your house on excellent weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

been v v grey here in Cork City all week - well - better than rain I guess - but this time last yr we had fab weather

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Will we get any of the warm air due for England next week?

Summer 2021 Review - Met Eireann's Synoptic Stations (25 Stations): sum_152021.pdf (fusio.net)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

been v v grey here in Cork City all week - well - better than rain I guess - but this time last yr we had fab weather

Q is it not Autumn now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Same here in Dublin. Very grey the last few days. Dry yes but not enjoying the greyness and lack of sunshine.

It is autumn now indeed and we have an autumn general discussion open. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058206800/autumn-2021-general-discussion#latest

Almost an entire week of slate grey cloud here and haven't seen more than 5 or 6 minutes of sunshine since Sunday morning. Hopefully it will be sunny from Monday to Wednesday next week with the plume of heat over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We'll be losing the cloud over the next day or so. It will be turning very warm early next week for a while with much more sunshine. Temps low to mid 20's

Braking down with rain/thundery showers by Wednesday/Thursday though.

Interesting summary, and it's fair to point out that Ireland is a microcosm of microclimates (I'm patenting that by the way!!!) South by southwest of you here in southern Laois I'd say we've had a much better summer than the detail even though I'd still score it 7/10. It wasn't a vintage summer by any stretch but it was a decent one here. August was notably better here than in Meath, below average rainfall and you alluded to the weather not settling down until 21st whereas we had much better weather here at least a week prior.

The working week August 16th -> 20th gave just 2mm here and I can remember the RTE Week Ahead forecast giving a dire wet week when broadcast on Sunday 15th. It mattered most to me as we have had some construction work going on and in those scenarios weather is important.

Even the week prior, 9th -> 13th wasn't bad, 9.7mm recorded. There have been heavier thunder-showers!

One stand-out thing for me this summer was slack winds. Even in 2018 a SE breeze always got going whereas this year that was notably weaker, or even absent especially on the warmer days.

• Advertisement

A fair point. The run of 30c days in 2018 were always accompanied by a fairly substantial breeze, The similar temps achieved this summer occured with no breeze at all, here anyway and in the S. Midlands as Danno observes.

New Moon

Advertisement