Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Matip and Origi was that year, Gomez was the year before. Phillips was only on 5k so not much of a needle mover. Milner extended - but I doubt at his age that his wage was going up from what he got joining on a free! If anything i'd say it was more likely to go down, or at best staying the same.

Minamino joined in January that year, so a few months of his wages would be included. But Sturridge left, which I'd imagine alone nearly takes care of the difference in a lot of those increases you mention (was on at least 120k+ a week, as he was in the top bracket at his last signing).

Adrian also arrived, but Mignolet left, so they probably about cancel each other out (would guess Mig was on a bit more as he'd been on starter wages, while Adrian was coming firmly on backup wages).

Was otherwise a fairly quiet period for transfers (Ings left, but he was on loan before, so his wages didn't count). All in all, between the jigs and the reels, I don't think the wage bill was much increased at the base level before the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

The thing is we don't know and I won't make the false claim to say I do know.

However the official figures for Leicester and West Ham for 19/20 were quoted and that alone makes the "report" completely false and wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

How can he read something that yourdeadwright hasn't provided a link to? However yourdeadwright did mention that those three players will earn more than West Hams (£127m) and Leicesters (£157m) wages bills. That would average them out at a minimum of £1m a week each, which is obviously BS. Ronaldo is reported to be on around £500k a week, Varane and Sancho are reported to be around £350k a week. Thats a long way from the rubbish that yourdeadwright is spouting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,822 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So basically your saying have no idea if its right or wrong ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

From the figures above Leicester were the 13th team in 19/20, paying wages of 157 million. Do you think 3 players at United earn more than 157million?

I don't know .....i never claimed it was true ,Multiply times iv said i just posted what the reports where saying ,

The reports had Leicester at 58.5 million & the three lads at 62.4 m , Also one said City starting 11 last weekend was 1.3m a week in wages & the 3 lads where above that ,

Who knows the real numbers ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Also I seriously doubt that Sancho went straight in as the highest earner at the club. Maybe it's one of these amazing contracts that can be offered that are incentivised. Like when Sanchez was on 500k a week but was still getting a 75k appearance bonus too and his tea allowance was another 50k on top of that or whatever it wound up being by the end.

So you've access to all these precise figures, but you still can't provide the source? And we do know that the clubs real wages figures, because the clubs publish them. And Leicesters is £100m more that you've stated. And I say you've stated because you refuse to link to the source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

• Advertisement

https://www.90min.com/in/posts/man-utd-new-singings-earn-more-than-13-premier-league-teams-combined

It was widely reported, take your pick of paper, but as pointed out here already Leicester wages figure sticks out as being incorrect.

When did i once say i had access to precise Iv said maybe 6 or 7 times at this stage i just seen the reports second hand on twitter , Iv also said its "reported" so who knows the truth ,You obviously haven't read what i said , breath & relax

Widdnesushi posted on the last page the link to one of the papers that ran it,

Please remember whatever your club does or does not do on or off the pitch is no reflection on you , You've not directly contributed to it if its negative or positive ,

No need to get so wound up about it , Especially when iv stated form the first post that its just "reported" & no one knows the real figures

I've read everything you've said, but it's been pretty straight forward internet protocol for quite a long time now to link to the source of what ever claim you're making. It is possible and very easy to post twitter links. You've done it in the past and that's all you've simply been asked to do now. It's almost as if you're purposely not posting them just to get a rise out of opposition fans.

ON the last page you posted " Utd have one of the lowest wages to turnover ratios around. Liverpool had a larger wage bill in the last published figures "

Do you know It's been pretty straight forward internet protocol for quite a long time now to link to the source of what ever claim you're making. It is possible and very easy to post twitter links. You've done it in the past and that's all you've simply been asked to do now. It's almost as if you're purposely not posting them just to get a rise out of opposition fans...................ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait does that not apply to you ? ( You dare you use my own spell against me..Potter )

Once again iv said multiply times i had seen people talking about the originally report but not the report itself ,so makes posting it redundant Its not a claim if i tell you that which i did,

Also as iv also said Widdensushi posted a link to a paper reporting it so the job was done ,

We all agree its a "report" & figures could be incorrect , move along & stop you whinging

Lets be friends

Post edited by yourdeadwright on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd believe it anyway, goin by some reports I saw Ronaldo has actually agreed to take an 80% pay cut to "come home" and instead of earning 500k a week after tax is now earning 100k a week after tax and donating 50% of that to front line workers in the area of Slough, amortised over 5 years of course. He also agreed to pay the €3m euro transfer fee due this year to Juve himself such was his eagerness to play for Ole.

Varane I believe got a payrise and is now on 1.3 million per week, but 600 euro of that is made up of a clean sheet bonus that may or may not be before or after tax. Unclear at the minute. What I think we can be sure of is that Bruno, Rashford, Matic and Jones have all gotten payrises also due to that match the highest earner clause they have.

Sancho, well he got wind that PSG had offered Mbappe 600k a week and wanted parity as he feels he is in fact the best young attacker in the world but United stood firm on their initial offer of 575k a week and it seems he did sign on for that, but there are whispers he has a 25% yearly wage rise in his contract.

To offset these somewhat Ole has agreed to manage for the season on a purely incentive based contract and he will now only receive payment in a lump sum at the end of the season based on what he has won. The club are confident that they will have a very small liability to pay at the end of the period on this deal.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Do you have a link to a report that details all the above? I'm not saying I don't believe you but would definitely be interested in reading the orginal source 🤔😉

You had me till you said Jones was getting a raise.

Sorry I don't have a link to the original source

I'm sure though if you search for it you will find something backing up what I said, somewhere in some dark corner of the internet :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Basically I'll calling it alot of bull as Leicester City were on 157m for the year 19/20. Doubt it has went down much if any.... So unless the utd 3 are on 3m a week between them, then it's bull....

It's okay to admit you made reference to a false report and ran with it... It can happen...

However to stop clogging up the tread I'll move on and wait patiently for your next "report"...... Just maybe try and go with less false news...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is that not the guy Barca did some funky deal with Juve for 12/18 months ago?

There was some kind of swap deal with a player going the other way to Juve, Barca put a €400m buyout clause on him the moment he joined last summer paying him £250k a week at 30 has to make you laugh what a sh1t show that club is.

It was Arthur they swapped him for,

Supposedly because an argument between Arthur and Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Another dreadful deal Barca did to help balance the books. A promising youngish MF for a 30 year old slow MF on ridiculous wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

In other transfer-related news, rumours coming out of Manchester (but I have no screenshots, don't shoot me) are saying that Ronaldo will get the number 7 jersey. He did his official photoshoot (no back, or shorts, shots!) but remains the only player not to be assigned a squad number on the PL website. Clearly, as shown by last night's shenanigans, he is BIGGER THAN THE GAME. Maybe the Premier League will implode if he doesn't get his way and secure the number 7, with Cavani going to 21.

There is absolutely no precedent for this, as Premier League rule M.4 states that: "While he remains with the club, a player will retain his shirt number throughout the season for which it was allocated," meaning that the number seven should remain with Cavani until next season.

However, we saw everyone bend over for him last night, so whose to say the PL won't too?

Me, I thought the hype generated by his return was enough. Does the league have to yield to his "global brand" also?

The only sports people allowing this are the NFL, starting this year, but with this rule "Per NFL rules, if a player wants to change his number THIS SEASON, he would have to buy out the existing inventory of jersey distributors. "

• Advertisement

@jacool I haven't looked into it much myself (cause jersey numbers mean sfa to me) but someone did post about last week I'd imagine, something to do with Cavani taking 21 with James leaving and it can free up the 7. May have even put something about precedent? Could be completely off, but I'd assume there is certainly some kind of discussions going on with the prem to leave him have the number one way or another.

Edit: here had a quick scan of the thread

Thats the tweet I remember seeing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The reason Arthur was sold was to balance the books, Barcelona needed to bring in 70m euro in revenue by the end of the end of that particular month.

Juventus were also cooking the books so they could show extra revenue of 60m for Pjanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

• Tough luck if you have a #7 Cavani , this ain't like the NFL, where they buy up the other numbered jerseys

From manutd store

• "Personalised items are non-returnable. A refund will only be permitted if the garment is faulty, damaged or wrong. We accept no responsibility once a replica shirt or short has been printed, if a player leaves the team and/or their team number changes, or if the badge changes in the future.

Somebody there had a crystal ball when they wrote those rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A few number changes have taken place in that past, but usually it's pre-season and before and league games have taken place.

Usually the player themselves, or the club, would personally reimburse any jerseys sold with the older number with a new kit as a show of goodwill.

To tie in with the topic at hand, it will be interesting to see how the dynamic of the changing room when you have 2 strikers on roughly 250,000 a week each sitting on the bench and what their mentality is like. I'd expect Cavani to be a professional about it given his age and career path but Martial may not be happy. Unless he has evidence to suggest otherwise that I'm unaware of.

• Advertisement

Ah sure look there's two goalies there eating into 400k between them 🤷🏻‍♂️

Martial doesn't do well with competition and has pretty much run out of goodwill at this point. However much money he earns a week he can like it or lump it really. He'll play of course, cause Ole, should get time on the left in rashfords absence for a start.

I expect Cavani to be heavily involved this season and it wouldn't surprise me to see the club announce something about refunds for jerseys bought with Cavani 7 in the last month or whatever.

400k!!!! That's just for the highest paid goalkeeper in the world, surely the rest are getting something.

Okay sure call it 800k if you want, real figures have no meaning may as well add in the lads on the youth terms too 👍🏻

In 2010-11 season 4 Villa players changed there numbers mid season ,

They also let Arnautovic do it in 207-18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I would imagine you were trying to be sarcastic with the 800k, your comments on Man United wage seem to be full of sarcasm, but I would say that last season that figure would be closer than you think. Over the last 2 seasons, we have seen:

DDG is widely reported to be on 375k a week alone.

Dean Henderson is battling him for the number 1 jersey and recently signed a massive new contract, taking home well into 6 figures every week. Sky Sports have it at 100k a week. Others have it higher but I will pick the Sky Sports figure for arguments sake.

Sergio Romero wasn't even registered to play in 2020-2021 and was picking up a nice packet, just to stay at home. He had tried to leave on loan and Everton were willing to pick up his 100k a week wages, but the transfer was blocked.

It's been reported that both Lee Grant is picking up around 30,000 a week and you would have to assume that Tom Heaton is getting something similar as he overtakes that 3rd goalkeeper role now moving forward.

That's before you look at Peireira or other youth team players added in.

I understand the need for a 3rd choice keeper, usually an English one for HG rules, but paying them £100,000 a week is madness. And the reason why the wages Man United get scrutinized for wages more than other clubs is because they are not getting any return for them. Other clubs are paying high wages, albeit nowhere as near as high as these players in the same position, but are winning trophies over the last few years. DDG definitely has performed as well as he should to justify those wages and has even been dropped for periods of time over the last couple years. As the old saying goes, if you have 2 goalkeepers rotating, you don't have a number 1.

I suppose to be fair, the weekly wages on goalkeepers has Man United has reduced from 605,000 in 2020-2021 to 535,000 in 2021-2022 because of the release of their 3rd choice keeper Romero and replacing him with Tom Heaton instead. I have added sources, you know just cos it's needed now.

DDG: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/09/16/david-de-gea-finally-endslong-standing-uncertainty-manchester/

Romero: https://theathletic.co.uk/2130590/2020/10/12/ornstein-ozil-loyalty-bonus-romero-gambling/

Henderson: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/12052657/dean-henderson-manchester-united-goalkeeper-close-to-signing-new-contract

@Fitz* I'm not sure you needed to go I to such detail, but fair play lad!

No the 800k wasn't sarcastic though, I mean it. Include them all sure 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sources have been a thing on the internet's when people make claims for a long time no?

I think the part that got you was the real figures have no meaning right? That just alludes to that we actually for the most part have no idea what the breakdown of salaries are for players and often they are reported including all potential bonuses, before tax etc. In reality once the wage to turnover ratio remains healthy it doesn't matter where the club decides to waste it's money.

I have many, many ideas that I would consider a better use of the funds but as nobody at the club gives two shiny **** about my ideas I feel kinda powerless.

So I was right when I asked last week how much of a pay off would Cavani get to give up the number 7.

A nice chunk of change no doubt.

I wonder who would do the paying United or Ronaldo seen as his whole brand is CR7 or maybe Canvi just a nice chap and said no bother ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Where does it say Cavani was paid off, I wouldn't think you are guaranteed any shirt number. CR7 is the exception given that is the brand.

Can you please quote the article which shows Cavani got a payoff to change number.

I can't seem to find it online.

Did Juan Cuadrado get a nice chuck of change when he gave up the 7 shirt for Ronaldo at Juventus? It's not like Cavani is associated with a single number across his career. And he wears 21 for Uruguay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

At this stage I kind of just assume absolutely any time something like this happens - particularly when someone else is gonna make money off it - an agent will leverage it in one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Would Cavani really care about having number 7? Knowing Ronaldo is a legend at United and the whole brand of CR7 you'd imagine he wouldn't care all that much especially going into his final year at United

It would be like slavery if he had to give it up without being compensated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well, now that the window is shut anybody want to talk about wage bills?

I overheard a conversation that mentioned that Cavani actually paid Leeds to buy James so he could get the squad No 21 to keep with his international number....

Unfortunately I don't have a link to the conversation so I can't post it....

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭android1

Has any player ever been compensated for swapping shirt numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd say Cavani is getting 1m a week to give up #7.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement