Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energia contract - beware!

Options
  • 24-08-2021 11:01am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Energia bill arrived and it was much higher than expected, and 50% up from this time last year. I called them and corrected the meter reading (estimated).

Agent informed me that I was out of contract since April. I said I didn't know that and checked the bill - no mention of it. Agent then discounted the bill a bit by way of recompense.

I then got put through to renewals. The guy there offered my another 12 month deal at 20% off. Sounded ok and I didn't have time to compare the deal elsewhere. 14 days cooling off period.

I made a small bit of time and threw the details into Bonkers.ie - They had a 41% discounted deal available - from Energia!!!

I cancelled and went with Bonkers.

A couple of points:-

1/. If a customer goes out of contract the provider really should contact them and pre emptively offer new terms. Doing nothing and leaving a good customer pay too much for as long as possible on a standard rate isn't good enough. If that happens the only certainty is that you've been paying too much.

2/. Never assume retentions will offer you a competitive deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

the whole new customer discount model is based around the customer forgetting when the discount period is over.

Sky don't contact you, Eir don't contact you, energia don't contact you, neither do sse, electric Ireland.

And you are still in contract with them anyway, but the "minimum term" has lapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

They have a retention offer that matches EI Dual 26. It can be got through bonkers.ie as well.

Just shop around - there are better deals if you switch, either going to someone else or a retention offer that will be triggered. Use one of the price comparison websites, but make sure you have your annual energy usage worked out from old bills first to get the most accurate results.

I found Bonkers.ie pretty decent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think the providers really should reconsider that model.

p.s. Spoke to Energia yesterday btw. They actually tried to sell me a more expensive package! 26% off. I asked them why would I take that when I've already got 41% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Then it would have to be repriced and probably the most off would be 20%.

I think the limited time discounts should be abolished and everyone would benefit for lower pricing and shopping around would be based on long term rates and customer service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I always stick renewal dates for electricity, TV etc in calendar....then it's haggling time!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Falling

This might be a stupid question but I'm in the same boat with Energia- just before my renewal and I've gotten the retention rate ready to go on bonkers.ie (€1420 vs. €960!!)

Can I just go ahead on bonkers or is there a penalty for switching plans while you're still in contract even though it's the same provider??

First time doing any of this and I'm totally addled!!! 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

This has been an issue for me for a long time - the time your contract activates, may be weeks after you get your first 'welcome to us' letter from your new supplier and I have never seen a bill include a date when the contract started and when it will end. I usually know when I started my annual review and change process and I always then have to ring up and ask what date they have noted for me starting as a customer. It is a scam.

I have written to the useless energy regulator about it and got some half hearted response about considering the issue of putting contract dates on bills, in the future. Whoever the energy regulator is supposed to look after the interests of, there are very few inputs they exercise that actually benefit the consumer. Seems to be just a rubber stamp for requested price increases.

Energy start and finish contract dates should be printed on every bill.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes. At renewal sign up with Bonkers. Takes about 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Falling

Thanks a million! All the penalties/ fees talk had me stressed out.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

By way of difference I was in a pals house yesterday and he had a letter from Flogas his electrical provider saying that his existing contract was up soon.

I think every provider should be obliged to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭nicolaf45

Energia sent me an email to say my contract was up, and i got one last year too from SSE so they are doing it, at least for some people anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Had similar experience with them. Contract ran out and no way to renew it online.

You can only call office hours mon-fri (with a long wait time) for a renewal despite new sales being open on weekends.

All feeds into making it more difficult to get a decent rate after 12 months. In the end it was less hassle for me to switch provider than renew with them so I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭nicolaf45

I felt exactly the same, they obviously dont want to keep the business, i just went to a different supplier too

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

Been with Energia for three yeats and never received a letter. Wowsers.

I ring them each year quoting the cheapest rate I can find online and tell them what I want, not what they can offer. So far they have come within a few euro's of it. Once got €50 credit as well to sweeten the deal. I have a little spreadsheet with billing info on it done up, just to wreck their heads at renewal time. It's usually something like "just a second there John while I work out what your offer is going to cost me...... Nope, a little high coompared to xxx's new customer offer. Is that the best now is it?". This usually goes through three sucessive offers until they're on my page.

Agreed though, what a pain in the ass of an annual job...

Don't be reading my letters that just happened to be on the table!

Thought you left it there for my benefit 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

As far as I know, it is a CRU requirement on the suppliers to notify you on your bill when your contract is up. Something like the 2nd last bill before the contract expires, they have to explain what your rate currently is, what it will be after contract expires and what it will all cost per year

Advertisement