Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I'm not sure I understand your comment, are you agreeing or not? Yes inflation is one of the main reasons the stock market is doing so well, that's what I'm saying. Are you suggesting money printing/inflation will cause a crash? If so, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Give people play money - they invest money - stock market bounds - inflation rises - people realise it costs more to buy stuff - their savings are worth less (if a stock rises 5% but inflation has risen 5% you have made nothing) - take money back out of stock market to pay for things

And all that pretend money has to be paid back so hello taxes

Too late for me to think too deeply on this, I'm sure there are videos on Youtube explaining how this is all gonna come back to smack people in their face - not only the US but Europe as well and many other countries.

Reminds me of the last crash and I was saying to people you know this is unsustainable (was looking at buying a house at the time but too many things seemed off for me) and everyone was saying its grand and the economy is flying whilst everyone was spending imaginary money on houses et al

I'm no expert but have a bad feeling and you can't buy yourself out of a crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

How many chart diviners become billionaires? Given enough chartists, you will actually get some patterns emerging confirming hypothesies, because it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, but then the market does it's thing and it doesn't.

An academic analysis of flash boy yuppies working for trading banks found that despite these professionals being paid 6 figure salaries with even larger bonuses, their long term performance was indistinguishable from random choice. Some of them had winning streaks, but these were usually balanced by losing streaks.

Yes I agree, time in the market beats timing the market.

But I'm talking about cryptos and meme stocks which have no fundamental factors driving their momentum. There are a lot of amateurs trading on emotions, ripe for explotation by the algorithms and day traders.

I'm am very bullish about gme hitting 260, I'm closing everything in the high 250's just to be sure. But not because of company earnings or any other fundamentals, nor because of any of the conspiracy theory bullshit you read on reddit. I'm making the call based on how easy these algorithms can take advantage of the retail traders emotions and I can see this all being setup in the charts l, which by the way is playing out right now.

Bitcoin is different. There's clearly resistance at 50k. But bullish signs it seems to be out of the 46k range and bouncing nicely at 48-49. I'm not saying it's a meme stock driven by conspiracy theories, I'm just saying there is clearly resistance, people taking profits in the 49k range. Breaking that resistance is a very good sign.

These stocks are an exception to time in the market not timing the market. To be me it is absolutely about timing it right and trading the momentum.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Again, this is not financial advice

You don't have to say this, i'm not sure why people on Reddit say it either.

I get that there are trends that sometimes match these paterns but what i'm asking is, what algorhythms are you referring to in your previous post and where in this crystal ball reading does the external environment come into play? There have been significant events that have driven recent runs and falls, so saying they match previous charts seems a bit mad.

• Advertisement

Professional investors and hedge funds have software that buys and sells stocks for them based on chart indicators. It's common knowledge, no crystal ball required. You don't have to take my word for it (in fact you probably shouldn't, do your own research).

All I'm saying is there has been a clear bullish pattern forming for past few weeks on gme and its playing out exactly as I thought it would. Based on that I reckon we're in the end game of this and looking at around 260-300. After that it's anybody's guess, it could break into a significant run or it could tank.

The usual advice for a W formation is get out when it nears the peak of either the centre peak or if you're happy with slightly more risk theb get out near the left peak.

It is a bullish indicator and it's possible at end it could go on a run, but these are professional traders fcuking over retail investors. My money is on it tanking. It may run for a short while before declining, it all depends how much wiggle room you have.

BTW, you're falling for all that conspiracy theory b.s on reddit and then have the nerve to accuse me of gazing into a crystal ball?? Big Lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm not putting my faith in **** DD from Reddit.

I have certainly read much of it, and the redditors I mentioned do make quite compelling cases for their viewpoints. That has played into a little confirmation bias on my part, certainly. But the terminal info and in particular the option chains reinforce that particular thesis in my mind.

Do I think it's going to super duper infinity pool squeeze? No. But, do I think that there are issues in how shorts are dealt with in the US market that are a systemic risk? Yes, and there is academic and industry support for that notion too. The ability to short a stock, then FTD and then hide that FTD by rolling it into a derivative trade is extremely dangerous.

Now where I think that plays into crypto is in the effort of traders and funds to seek appropriate hedges for their derivatives bet. The correlation of crypto surge and pullback since January in BTC, ETH and Doge is IMO at least enough to spark at least a notion in my mind that I'm better off in cash than crypto currently.

That's not advice I'm offering or expecting anyone to take. It's my position, based on my gut, my reading and some rudimentary fib level checks. In that regard, I think the recent run to 50k was a peak and a fall back down to the sub 30k range is possible. Again, that's not me trusting TA because I don't, but in that most human of foibles I've begun looking for patterns everywhere 😂

I left some money on the table in the move from crypto to cash, particularly in link and Ada which holding a couple of days longer would have seen me double my money 😤

But profit, is profit and we are in a volatile situation where that famous contrarian Micheal Burry is betting against the US and in particular the treasury.

Im happy enough with my choice to take a little time out from the crypto market and I'll likely exit GME before earnings and AMC in the next 2 trading weeks too.

Then I hope the opportunity comes to get back in to crypto at a point 20-25% above my last holdings (coinwise).

Not financial advice and if it was? I'd advise people not to listen to me anyway 😂 just where my own head is at, at this point in the cycle.

Completely agree with everything you've said.

I don't know if I'll wait for bitcoin to go down to 35k before I jump back into cryptos. I think if it goes above 52k it's a very good time to get in. 100K by the end of year FOMO is strong enough to make it a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. Can't say I agree that everyone will be taking money out of the stock market to pay for their living expenses, most of that money will stay in there. Most people aren't putting next month's living expenses in the S&P500, although some individual stocks could take a hit and some already have. The S&P500 is up around 20% for the year so far, so the stock market is still a decent hedge against inflation, but most of that money will stay in the system now.

Not sure what you mean by "all that pretend money has to be paid back so hello taxes"? Do you think people will have to pay back the recently-printed money? If you come across a youtube video explaining your point I'd love to check it out!

Do you mean the last crash as in March 2020? If anything, that proves that the US are willing to print their way out of a crash and that ended up being the shortest recession ever. The days of multi year recessions are probably over as they've seen what quick, aggressive action can achieve.

Either way, all of this is great for bitcoin and the crypto market as more people look to invest in assets not tied to a particular currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Checking the prices this evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just broke even on Ethereum 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Eth did a crazy jump around 5pm. A new ATH not far away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Feels nice to be in profit for once lads. Anyone who bought the dip should be setup nicely. Gonna be an interesting close to the year now. Hold on tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ConseyMan

Well they say you always wish you bought more at the bottom and sold more at the top. Hodlings the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭AH92

Bought a good amount in May-July so all going as planned. Gearing up for a frothy EOY lads !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Same, hoping for a nice December / January cash out and then rebuy in the bear. Up 50% anyway.

Still strong resistance. How long does it need to knock on the 51/52k door before it gives up? A significant consolidation phase above 51k and its game on for a new all time high. If resistance keeps up and April turns out to be the peak then we are tanking aaaallllll the way down 14-20k.

Fascinating stuff...but as a recent bag holder I'm glad I'm all out! Smart move is to wait and see if bull run can break free or bears take over imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 train.up.

Hey folks,,where are ye buying coins since Binance withdrew Sepa payment. Switched back to my original Coinbase account but it's very limited. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭antimatterx

A 60-70% drop is ambitious, hasn't been that low in nearly a year. Barely spiked below 30k over the recent dip

Sure OK a bit daft to put a price on it but put it this way, if El Salvador is not a success then we're going bearish and crypto is going to be heavily shorted.

Markets have already tested 64k and it didn't hold. Now they're saying OK with El Salvador and the China mining migration its worth another test. Fail a 2nd time and there is no 3rd time. You'd need to see Western nations adopting it as a viable payment option (Im not saying as legal tender, just as a viable payment method).

It's far too volatile to be used as a currency imo. Trials in El Salvador already have poor uptake and vendors unwilling to hold large amounts of it due to volatility.

If you lived in El Salvador and were given $30 in Bitcoin from the government, would you spend it on beer and ice cream or would you hold onto it as an investment? We're about to find out what people will do. My guess is you'll see very few people spending it in shops. They also have the option to swap it for dollars.

Their plans to use geothermal power from the volcano has also been debunked as completely unrealistic.

If you're investing in crypto right now you are basically giving El Salvador a vote of confidence. You're literally betting your money on their success. Very dodgy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I think El Salvador will adopt it, but like the guy in this video says, it might take a year

Theres no content or substance in that video. Who is he and when was that video made? He has given absolutely no argument whatsoever??

It becomes legal tender on Tuesday. They'll have what a week? a month? for some positive news, it takes off as a currency in El Salvador or else the market goes bearish.

I can't see it being more than a niche, touristy thing. You could have $100 in Bitcoin today, tomorrow it could be $60. Yes likewise it could be $150 tomorrow.

Thats my point, it's so bloody volatile it makes an awful currency.

Imagine going to do your weekly family shopping. Last you checked you had $200, enough for your shopping. You go to pay and since then bitcoin has tanked and all you have is $150. Madness.

Not to mention the chaos it would cause on business balance sheets. Exactly why businesses are not holding crypto in large amounts.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I don't think Bitcoin's future depends on how successful it is in El Salvador and I certainly don't agree that bitcoin is finished for good if it doesn't take off there immediately, of course it will be slow to start, it's a new technology.

On the point of El Salvador, their currency options are, a volatile Bitcoin that tends to go up in value and no one controls, or a less volatile USD which slowly devalues over time and is in the control of a different country. Giving countries an option is great for adoption.

Bitcoin uptake in developing countries will drive adoption long before western countries take it on. Lots of countries with double digit inflation, they need a new money system and Bitcoin provides that.

Not it's future, just this bull run. I'm a crypto fan and agree with everything else you've said. But eyes are on El Salvador before breaking the current 51-52K resistance. This whole bull run relies on positive news, otherwise I think the bears will take over.

Having said that, we all know crypto can rocket for no reason whatsoever. Who knows. And sentiment is very much bullish.

I'll be back in myself after a couple of days consolidation above 51k.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Time to start getting excited - looking like its gonna break 52k right after its broken 51k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Best bear market ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I referenced the point I found interesting in that video. I don't believe El Salvador will make or break bitcoin, but I do think they will adopt it. Of course I could be wrong, but IIRC they are rolling out a program to help them adopt it easier and giving classes about understanding it and how it works. There will be many who will sell something on the equivalent of donedeal or something and might notice that they now have more cash, or a local business after a few sales will have what is perceived to be higher profits. Of course when it hits a wall they will notice the opposite, but by then the government are hoping that most will understand how it works and will have adopted it.

Advertisement